• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Why is illegal border crossing at an 'all time low'?

holbritter

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
Why do you think the number of illegal crossings are at an all time low? What has changed that has deterred this? What exactly is it, that appears to be working?

Thoughts?

Illegal immigration has been continuously dropping for the past 15 years and most illegal immigrants come through valid ports of entry, be it airports or gates with checkpoints. Considering we don't have a wall and prior to 2 years ago didn't have Trump it's obviously neither of those two that are driving the decrease.

If you ask a Trump supporter they'll swear up and down at least a million brown criminal terrorists cross the border every day and that's why we should all be very, very terrified and hand them a blank check to erect an extremely expensive and pointless monument to Donald.

I suggest we stay calm, don't exaggerate, and continue to do the things we've been doing the past 15 years that have actually brought us real improvement.

Illegal immigration has been continuously dropping for the past 15 years and most illegal immigrants come through valid ports of entry, be it airports or gates with checkpoints. Considering we don't have a wall
We have almost 700 miles of wall in one form or another. It's one of "the things we've been doing the past 15 years that have actually brought us real improvement."

Illegal immigration has been continuously dropping for the past 15 years and most illegal immigrants come through valid ports of entry, be it airports or gates with checkpoints. Considering we don't have a wall and prior to 2 years ago didn't have Trump it's obviously neither of those two that are driving the decrease.

If you ask a Trump supporter they'll swear up and down at least a million brown criminal terrorists cross the border every day and that's why we should all be very, very terrified and hand them a blank check to erect an extremely expensive and pointless monument to Donald.

I suggest we stay calm, don't exaggerate, and continue to do the things we've been doing the past 15 years that have actually brought us real improvement.

How many Americans killed by illegal aliens in the US is too many, in your estimation? I ask because you seem to imply that we should just tolerate the current level of crime perpetrated by illegals and that to want something done about the problem, like simply enforcing current laws on immigration, is unreasonable.

No, most illegal immigrants do not come in through ports of entry, this is a lie. This statistic comes from the estimated number of visa overstays outnumbering the number of ARRESTS of people caught in the act of illegally crossing. A recent study from the center for migration studied pegs the percentage of the illegal alien population who overstayed visas to be 42% which is not “most”

Also that percentage is totally irrelevant. If 99% of illegals were overstays it would be justified to build the wall to stop the one percent

No, most illegal immigrants do not come in through ports of entry, this is a lie. This statistic comes from the estimated number of visa overstays outnumbering the number of ARRESTS of people caught in the act of illegally crossing. A recent study from the center for migration studied pegs the percentage of the illegal alien population who overstayed visas to be 42% which is not “most”

Also that percentage is totally irrelevant. If 99% of illegals were overstays it would be justified to build the wall to stop the one percent

That make as much sense as small game hunting using buck-shot.......

How many Americans killed by illegal aliens in the US is too many, in your estimation? I ask because you seem to imply that we should just tolerate the current level of crime perpetrated by illegals and that to want something done about the problem, like simply enforcing current laws on immigration, is unreasonable.

None as long as illegal voters vote D.

If immigrant groups voted R then the Dems would’ve built a wall visible from space and played this “if it saves one life” line they use in relation to the second amendment

That make as much sense as small game hunting using buck-shot.......

Or having a police department if there was little crime in that town. The argument that law enforcement and/or security systems are not useful unless some specific level of crime (currently?) exists is quite lame. What, exactly, is an acceptable level of illegal border crossing? What should be done if (when?) that level is reached?

Or having a police department if there was little crime in that town. The argument that law enforcement and/or security systems are not useful unless some specific level of crime (currently?) exists is quite lame. What, exactly, is an acceptable level of illegal border crossing? What should be done if (when?) that level is reached?

That argument doesn’t hold water. If a community had low crime, why would they need over capacity; for example: armored vehicles, SWAT teams, and all the other “overkill.” I never stated that there should be no border security. This whole issue has developed as so many others do; it’s not black and white, but it has fallen along political lines and is “all-in or fold,” at this point.

How many Americans killed by guns in the US is too many for you?

The 1 percent comment actually proves my point perfectly. To you it is completely irrelevant how effective or wasteful the wall is, it's purely a symbol that you want and you're willing to spend any amount necessary of other people's money. If you feel so strong about it, fork your own money out and stop demanding everyone else pay for it.

We know for you even 1 death would warrant tens of billions of wasted tax payer dollars. It's not too different from you ignoring the vast majority of terrorist acts that a are committed by white, right wing extremists while exaggerating yhe tiny minority that are committed by muslim extremists. You're not consistent.

That argument doesn’t hold water. If a community had low crime, why would they need over capacity; for example: armored vehicles, SWAT teams, and all the other “overkill.” I never stated that there should be no border security. This whole issue has developed as so many others do; it’s not black and white, but it has fallen along political lines and is “all-in or fold,” at this point.

Why would adding a physical barrier to an area known to be a preferred crossing for illegal immigrants be "overkill"?

The 1 percent comment actually proves my point perfectly. To you it is completely irrelevant how effective or wasteful the wall is, it's purely a symbol that you want and you're willing to spend any amount necessary of other people's money. If you feel so strong about it, fork your own money out and stop demanding everyone else pay for it.

We know for you even 1 death would warrant tens of billions of wasted tax payer dollars. It's not too different from you ignoring the vast majority of terrorist acts that a are committed by white, right wing extremists while exaggerating yhe tiny minority that are committed by muslim extremists. You're not consistent.

The vast majority of terrorist acts are not caused by right wing extremists, this only comes by using dubious methodology and counting many acts where nobody is hurt, assuming motive when no ones been identified as a suspect, etc. Claiming terrorism for vandalism or regular criminal acts etc that’s a lie as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But a wall would stop zero percent of overstays. Holy fail.

None as long as illegal voters vote D.

If immigrant groups voted R then the Dems would’ve built a wall visible from space and played this “if it saves one life” line they use in relation to the second amendment

Cuban immigrants in Florida have been a reliable Republican voting bloc for decades. Strike two.

As to the OP, I’d posit that one reason border crossings have dropped has nothing to do with us. The journey has become so much more perilous on the Mexican side of the border that many don’t even attempt it.

This is only a theory.

Cuban immigrants in Florida have been a reliable Republican voting bloc for decades. Strike two.

Yeah and Obama ended wetfoot dryfoot and in the 80s right wing John Birch Republican Jimmy Carter was claiming that Castro was emptying prisons and insane asylums and after the Mariel boatlift got Castro to agree to reimpose emigration restrictions. So oddly enough you king of proved my point

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why would adding a physical barrier to an area known to be a preferred crossing for illegal immigrants be "overkill"?

Have you seen any reports as to where the “wall” is proposed to be built? I don’t think my position relates to what you are asking me.....

Ok, but do you have an opinion on WHY the decrease?

As to the OP, I’d posit that one reason border crossings have dropped has nothing to do with us. The journey has become so much more perilous on the Mexican side of the border that many don’t even attempt it.

This is only a theory.

Thank you for actually answering the question. It's a plausible theory, imo.

Why do you think the number of illegal crossings are at an all time low? What has changed that has deterred this? What exactly is it, that appears to be working?

Thoughts?

The rhetoric from Trump scares people.

But a wall would stop zero percent of overstays. Holy fail.

Overstays are known people and the government also knows exactly where they are.

Those are not the people to be concerned with, but of course you already knew that.

That could play a part in it as well.

Some of the caravan members talked about that. They thought if they crossed the border they would be shot.

I don't think Trump ever said that, but if they think that, that is OK.

We have almost 700 miles of wall in one form or another. It's one of "the things we've been doing the past 15 years that have actually brought us real improvement."

And the right doesn't even vilify those who employ them.

Much less enforce the laws against these criminals.

Get back to me when they walk the walk they talk.

Back
Top Bottom