• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Why is hiring so much lower than new job openings?

The answer to the OP is simple.

First off, employers hirer people who are already employed, over someone not willing to wash dishes, work retail, wait tables, or anything else that shows they have work ethics.

The second thing is that many employers are holding off on laying off workers, and many union places simply have no layoff clauses. These places losing workers simply are not filling the positions.

What did Americans do to get by before FDR?

You have no point. You can pick nits all you want, you have no point. There are no massive numbers of people who voluntarily refuse to look for work because they are able to live off the government. If you took all those people off welfare and all the other programs you complain about, how is your little figure of "3.9 million jobs" going to cover millions of people who's current jobs don't allow them to feed their families, or are current welfare recipients. What about all the elderly and disabled who will need work to cover their medicaid expenses and food costs. This on top of the existing 15 million unemployed.

Do we have enough living wage jobs for at least 60 million people????? YOU HAVE NO POINT!

Well if you are old enough to speak from experience about the period...why don't you share with us??? Otherwise...what does it matter? I could ask how people did before there was a USA, but it would still be irrelevant to the issue.

By Jazz Shaw
August 17, 2013

Both Dr. James Joyner and Bloomberg’s Peter Orszag are looking into a rather puzzling pair of statistics from the labor market this week. Posted job openings around the country are up roughly 50%, but new hires have only risen by 5%. What can account for the disparity in these numbers? It would seem that if companies are posting that many more openings, surely hiring should be on the rise in comparable numbers, and yet it’s not happening.

Orszag:
To get some sense of how significant this is, consider that if, since June 2010, hiring had risen a third as much as advertised jobs have (rather than only a 10th), and nothing else were different, job creation would be roughly 500,000 higher each month, and the unemployment rate would already be back to normal levels.

So what explains the yawning gap between jobs open and jobs filled?

Joyner:
Orszag floats four theories that have been offered:
There’s a mismatch between the skills needed and those available on the market Employers are offering wages too low to attract applicants Jobs are mostly being filled with internal candidates Firms have reduced their “recruiting intensity,” and just aren’t that excited to fill openings

He argues pretty good reasons to discount any of these as likely explanations for much of the gap. He concludes,

Regardless of the true explanation, it’s still good news that more jobs are being advertised. That wouldn’t be happening if the economic outlook were entirely bleak.

But, if nobody’s hiring, the economic outlook is pretty damned bleak for the unemployed and underemployed.

As with most cases when we attempt to analyze a trend taking place involving tens of millions of people, I suspect the “answer” isn’t just one driving phenomenon, but rather a combination of factors.....

(Excerpt)
Read more:
Why is hiring so much lower than new job openings? « Hot Air

Guess that 99 weeks of Unemployment Checks and SNAP is too enticing.[/QU

let's cut to the chase werewolf ... It's Obama's fault! It's the response to anything you post ...

That is such crap. There are only 4 million people on welfare. There are nearly 12 million unemployed actively seeking work among 3 million available jobs openings, and another nearly 3 million listed as "marginally attached" persons who have given up in frustration and turned to "other" forms of income or homelessness. There are 47 million citizens on food stamps, 43 million NOT on welfare...many of whom are working at part-time jobs, temporary worker contracts, or full-time low paying jobs. The rest are on disability or social security.

This myth of masses of welfare mothers with 10 kids sucking off the government tit is getting a bit annoying.

it's all they got ... try to be a little bit more understanding ...

There are plenty of openings for accountants, always, and it pays very well. The problem is most people don't want to be an accountant or go through the process (certification, work experience, equivalence, etc.) to be one.

Everyone wants to become a computer expert, or corporate mavin while they look down upon auto mechanics, plumbers, electricians, or any type of manual or technical labor. Then there's the college graduate that believes he/she should be starting at the top of the corporate ladder, rather than starting in the mail room. Many of these "graduates" can't spell or compose simple reports, or presentations. That is the elitist Progressive attitude imparted to future population that feel real work is beneath them.

I'm sure that those of on this board have experienced people I've described.

Last edited:

They died. They lived in the streets. They crammed multiple families into a 2 bedroom apartment.

We didn't like seeing our elderly starve, so FDR did something about it.

So welfare - TANF - gives you:
Cash allowance benefits for financial assistance will also be state regulated and allowances paid will also vary based on different criteria. However, an average expectation can be placed on a family of 4 receiving up to $900 for their TANF allowance. A single person household can expect an average of up to $300.

That's not exactly $10 an hour. Those are monthly numbers.

Food stamps -
However, a basic average guideline for the food stamp program will show that an average family of 4 can expect an amount up to $500 per month for food stamps. This figure will greatly vary based on the age of the family members and medical needs. A single person household will show an expected average of up to $200 per month. Again, these figures are averages and not state specific.

People not working aren't exactly rolling in the dough.
Figures from here: US Welfare System - Help for US Citizens

I have a friend who works at WalMart, and she actually likes it there. But her hours vary widely - sometimes she'll work a few hours in the morning, then come back in the late afternoon and work some more. She doesn't have kids, so that works for her. Doesn't work too well for a single mom who needs to be home when her kids get home from school... because we don't provide much child care out there for low income workers.

Some employers won't hire someone who isn't currently working, which is a problem given the latest recession.

I live in a small town; there are NOT a lot of jobs here. People who can't re-locate due to family constraints need to commute long distances to find a job. Well, gee, on a low-wage job, what with car maintenance and gas, that's not easy to do.

Are there people who are too lazy to work? Yes.

Are there a LOT of people who want to work but can't find a job due to the economy, their skills, and other issues? YES. And that we help these people out a bit - keep them from starving and (hopefully) keep them from living on the streets - that's a good thing.

Definitely go after any "cheaters". I have no problem with that. But don't fool yourself that everyone is cheating; or even that most are cheating. Most people don't like being on welfare and do want to get off of it.

But when you talk about people living off the govt - remember that technically also applies to people on social security; on medicare; and of course to oil companies and other companies who are reaping big tax subsidies from the govt. Look at the farm program - welfare for rich farmers.

Everyone wants to become a computer expert, or corporate mavin while they look down upon auto mechanics, plumbers, electricians, or any type of manual or technical labor. Then there's the college graduate that believes he/she should be starting at the top of the corporate ladder, rather than starting in the mail room. Many of these "graduates" can't spell or compose simple reports, or presentations. That is the elitist Progressive attitude imparted to future population that feel real work is beneath them.

I'm sure that those of on this board have experienced people I've described.

No accountants are incredibly high in demand employers come and seek graduates out and want to pay rather large amounts of money. I also get paid to be certified in accounting. I don't have to start in the mail room because I have university degree and am part of an internationally-recognized association, there is no need for me to start in the mail-room (do they still have mail-rooms).

No accountants are incredibly high in demand employers come and seek graduates out and want to pay rather large amounts of money. I also get paid to be certified in accounting. I don't have to start in the mail room because I have university degree and am part of an internationally-recognized association, there is no need for me to start in the mail-room (do they still have mail-rooms).

I'm not against accountants or bookkeepers. It's an honest profession. I'm all for honest trades and professions. There are starting points in all those areas and it's not at the top. Whether you start in the accounting Dept. reviewing billing, or accounts payable makes no difference. You don't begin as the VP of the Actuarial Area of the Accounting Dept. right out of College.

I'm not against accountants or bookkeepers. It's an honest profession. I'm all for honest trades and professions. There are starting points in all those areas and it's not at the top. Whether you start in the accounting Dept. reviewing billing, or accounts payable makes no difference. You don't begin as the VP of the Actuarial Area of the Accounting Dept. right out of College.

Well considering you can't be an accountant right of college definitely not. If just so happen to make good connections during your on the job training there is quite a possibility of climbing that ladder faster than normal or starting at a higher rung.

Do you have a source for these mass deaths caused by starvation? Do people still live in the streets? How did we become such a great country under such horrid circumstances?

They died. They lived in the streets. They crammed multiple families into a 2 bedroom apartment.

We didn't like seeing our elderly starve, so FDR did something about it.

Nobody is challenging the illogical government statistics? Perhaps job openings aren't higher than hirings.

Well considering you can't be an accountant right of college definitely not. If just so happen to make good connections during your on the job training there is quite a possibility of climbing that ladder faster than normal or starting at a higher rung.

So you are agreeing with me? Starting work in an entry level position out of college is the way to go.

Do you have a source for these mass deaths caused by starvation? Do people still live in the streets? How did we become such a great country under such horrid circumstances?

Because FDR set up some safety nets.

Back
Top Bottom