• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Why is christianity the true religion.

Dogger807

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
Ok, it's a given that no one can prove either the existence or non existence of something that does not exist. So my question here is not whether god exists in any format or not. What I want to know is how, assuming that he/she/it does exist how can you.

Insist that the christian religion is right and all others wrong.

How is it any different from any religion that came before (and is in fact a composite of several "pagan" religions.)

I'm not debating the existence of an all powerful being here. I'm debating whether christianity has any clue on what this being is and how he might act.

dogger807 said:
I'm not debating the existence of an all powerful being here. I'm debating whether christianity has any clue on what this being is and how he might act.
Not only that, but how do Christians know that God in the bible isn't Satan? Wouldn't that be the ultimate deception? For thousands of years Satan has lured people away from God by introducing himself as God? Perhaps Satan knew if he could put enough fear in the bible, people would defend it despite having no evidence to support it. After all, the bible is just an accumulation of several books. Maybe there are books that were inspired by God. But what if some books were inspired by Satan? Perhaps they got grouped together in hopes to cause deep contradiction and arguments.

*These ideas are obviously based on the assumption that God and Satan do exist, with no evidence to support either. However, assuming they do...there is evidence supporting the above theory.

As far as "does god exist" all I can say is that it's what I believe in.. Yes, I do believe in a power greater than my own, one of divine rights, super intelligence. It's a belief thing, like you could believe that Saturn Exists, but these pictures you see.. they're just pictures.. pictures are easily changed, distorted, or even made-up.
Pretty much, you're asking "is god real" there is not a standard of what's real and what's not. OK, if you believe that everything YOU see and touch is real, then God isn't real. I'll guarantee, that you will never see it but we'll come in-contact with Alien Life from another planet just in our own galaxy. Just like God, you'll never come in contact with him unless you believe that you do. Just like Alien Life, you won't come in contact.. but that doesn't mean it's real or true to others. Another good example, If you've never been to China and yet still believe it to be "real" then you're basing this belief off of pictures, words, or other descriptive means.

You cannot contradict that there's powers beyond that of Humans. Gravity is a good example, the elements, and that of science. To I believe these things to be the worked of "God" then why yes I do. Picture it like this.. Elements, Gravity, and Evolution all have their own rules (which some we know).. I just believe that all these rules are placed into a single book, this book being "God". Not exactly a human, but a plethora of divine powers.

What I like about beliefs, is everyone is entitled to their own. Those who forcefully spread their own for Political Benefits (Taliban, In Afghanistan) are nothing more than my Enemy.

dogger807 said:
Ok, it's a given that no one can prove either the existence or non existence of something that does not exist.
If it doesn't exist there is no need either way to prove it doesn't exist. It simply doesn't exist !

Arch Enemy said:
Originally Posted by Arch Enemy
As far as "does god exist" all I can say is that it's what I believe in.. Yes, I do believe in a power greater than my own, one of divine rights, super intelligence. It's a belief thing, like you could believe that Saturn Exists, but these pictures you see.. they're just pictures.. pictures are easily changed, distorted, or even made-up.
Pretty much, you're asking "is god real" there is not a standard of what's real and what's not. OK, if you believe that everything YOU see and touch is real, then God isn't real. I'll guarantee, that you will never see it but we'll come in-contact with Alien Life from another planet just in our own galaxy. Just like God, you'll never come in contact with him unless you believe that you do. Just like Alien Life, you won't come in contact.. but that doesn't mean it's real or true to others. Another good example, If you've never been to China and yet still believe it to be "real" then you're basing this belief off of pictures, words, or other descriptive means.

You cannot contradict that there's powers beyond that of Humans. Gravity is a good example, the elements, and that of science. To I believe these things to be the worked of "God" then why yes I do. Picture it like this.. Elements, Gravity, and Evolution all have their own rules (which some we know).. I just believe that all these rules are placed into a single book, this book being "God". Not exactly a human, but a plethora of divine powers.

What I like about beliefs, is everyone is entitled to their own. Those who forcefully spread their own for Political Benefits (Taliban, In Afghanistan) are nothing more than my Enemy.

Your confusing something that I haven't seen personally with something that has no evidence of existence..... another apples and oranges argument. Doesn't answer the query of the thread either.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your confusing something that I haven't seen personally with something that has no evidence of existence..... another apples and oranges argument. Doesn't answer the query of the thread either.

As a Christian, I believe the bible is evidence.

dogger807 said:
Ok, it's a given that no one can prove either the existence or non existence of something that does not exist. So my question here is not whether god exists in any format or not. What I want to know is how, assuming that he/she/it does exist how can you.

How is it any different from any religion that came before (and is in fact a composite of several "pagan" religions.)

Well you're pretty much focusing on the stereotypical Christianity, I'm not among them. I have my own beliefs about Christianity.
Do I believe that all other religions are wrong? In a sense yes, and in a sense no. I believe that if they believe that their religion is right, then it's right. A religion only disappears once everyone stops worshiping the God(s).

Again my dear friend, "Christan's" has many branches. It's true, some are mixed with "pagan" religions, some ignore these "pagan" religions, and some with-hold the "pagan" backgrounds for their religion.

Do Christians have ANY CLUE? Yes they have little understanding, but you cannot truly understand what you've never come in-contact with directly. Think about the other dimensions, in Geometry.. you know OF a 4th and a 5th, but you cannot tell me when they'd look like... because we've never been able to see them. Since our world is only filled with 3D Geometric Shapes, then we can only see in 3D and all the Dimensions it presides over.

dogger807 said:

I don't think that at all, get my take on denominations on the thread "What does religion spread more of, love or hate?"

Judas betrayed Jesus for thirty pieces of silver; while Peter denied Christ thrice. Peter went on, with the help of Paul, to capitalize on Christ’s memory, establishing Christianity as the world’s longest running pyramid scheme. (Paul’s chain letters, the “Epistles,” are still being circulated!) Judas, at least, had the decency to return the money, and go hang himself.

Judas betrayed Jesus for thirty pieces of silver; while Peter denied Christ thrice. Peter went on, with the help of Paul, to capitalize on Christ’s memory, establishing Christianity as the world’s longest running pyramid scheme. (Indeed, Paul’s chain letters, the “Epistles,” are still being circulated!) Judas, at least, had the decency to return the money, and go hang himself.

Nemo said:
Judas betrayed Jesus for thirty pieces of silver; while Peter denied Christ thrice. Peter went on, with the help of Paul, to capitalize on Christ’s memory, establishing Christianity as the world’s longest running pyramid scheme. (Indeed, Paul’s chain letters, the “Epistles,” are still being circulated!) Judas, at least, had the decency to return the money, and go hang himself.

and you have the decency to delete your doubled post.

Good Going.

guns_God_glory said:
"What does religion spread more of, love or hate?"

The answer: the latter one. I think religion is a beautiful concept, even though it's only a mere invention of the all-powerful human mind. Christianity is the only true religion, supposedly, because majority of people say so (ahh and there goes the majority rule). I don't have a problem with the christian religion, it's the people that follow the religion that i cannot stand. You wouldn't believe how many times i've been told that i will "go to hell", simply because i am labeled an "atheist".

Well for me it is really simple to see why Christianity is the right religion. Mohammad is dead, Buddha is dead, Moses is dead, and Jewish people are still waiting for the Messiah. Jesus Christ is the only one risen from the dead, and is alive. Now I am certainly not naive enough to expect any atheist to buy that or agree with me, but hey I am just answering the question.

blogger31 said:
Well for me it is really simple to see why Christianity is the right religion. Mohammad is dead, Buddha is dead, Moses is dead, and Jewish people are still waiting for the Messiah. Jesus Christ is the only one risen from the dead, and is alive. Now I am certainly not naive enough to expect any atheist to buy that or agree with me, but hey I am just answering the question.

Zeus isn't dead... [size=-1]Quetzequatal never died ... the earth mother lives on

[/size]

Arch Enemy said:
As a Christian, I believe the bible is evidence.

Well, I hate to be taking any sides on this one. But, as far christiany being historical. It has been proven throughout the years that is true, Jesus was a real. Moses did cross the red sea. I have actually been to the red sea. And there are still chariot marks on the bottum of its depths. As far as Im its the best leading thing on how we came to be! I mean evolution has so many flaws its not even funny. But to have something that has been historically proven to be true. That is a true find. And until someone can find me something that is historically proven and will last the test of time.
I will believe that the christians might be right. But maybe someday something else will come along. I think man is just afraid of what they do not know and understand. You cant explain 'God' Thats why atheists have abolished the thought of him. They dont wanna believe in something they cant explain.

ghost said:
Well, I hate to be taking any sides on this one. But, as far christiany being historical. It has been proven throughout the years that is true, Jesus was a real. Moses did cross the red sea. I have actually been to the red sea. And there are still chariot marks on the bottum of its depths. As far as Im its the best leading thing on how we came to be! I mean evolution has so many flaws its not even funny. But to have something that has been historically proven to be true. That is a true find. And until someone can find me something that is historically proven and will last the test of time.
I will believe that the christians might be right. But maybe someday something else will come along. I think man is just afraid of what they do not know and understand. You cant explain 'God' Thats why atheists have abolished the thought of him. They dont wanna believe in something they cant explain.

Well I started this thread under the assumption that there is a all powerful being or set of being so I'm not going to argue that statement of evolution being full of holes. But that statement of chariot marks on the bottom of the red sea is hilarious, I'd have to see proof of that. I do not debate the fact that Jesus existed. Created a following, and through them a religion. This doesn't mean that he was divine.. just the second best con man ever to walk the earth. With John Smith being the first best. (btw , I do consider Jesus to be a con man with good intentions, even if the result backfired.)

Yes man is afraid of what he does not understand... that is why he created religions to explain these things. This is why he continues to this day to rationalize the lack of action of a non-existent being or host of beings depending on his religion.

ghost said:

Thanks for standing with me on the "Bible as evidence". I look more at the bible as a history book and to find the teachings of Jesus Christ.

I'm sorry, but creationism is the most ridiculous thing one can ever imagine. The idea that Women were made out of the rib of a male.. there's no way one can find that to be the truth. Whether you're expecting it or not, the Christian Church's are under-going a new evolution. A few fellow Church members and myself believe that Creationism is not the answer, though we still consider ourselves "Christians".

Well, I dont know what to say. I geuse its for every man to choose. But, keep this mind. You may think you are all right today. But when you close your eyes for the last time. When you take that final breathe. Do you think there will an eternity of black?
No, no, no. I am not forcing any religion on to you. Because Im not a christian. I dont really belong to any demonination. But I will say this, if you do stand at the throne of 'God'. Will you say everything you have said today?
And do you think he will honestly listen to you. Yes there are two parts of 'God', in the judeo christian aspect. The loving christ. And the one who will bring judgement. And many find this to be a flaw in this religion. but may I ask you this. When you have a child. Do you not punish it when its done wrong. And love it when it needs love. I think that is the answer to this religion. He is the great parent.
Now if you do not believe that he could create something out nothing. Does man not do the same thing. We build and build and create till we make something do we not? Well maybe 'God'. Is just much more highly advanced then we are. Maybe 'God'. Is a leaving breath cell. Who keeps evolving giving all life. And maybe satin is a virus who is sent to destroy and 'God' Is evolving to make a vacine for all of us.
I know im crazy, so what. We are in a religious debate are we not? You all search for something to believe in. And maybe that is the problem with humans. We have to get answers. But maybe we have just overthought things. And we need to get back to the basics.

Now if you do not believe that he could create something out nothing. Does man not do the same thing. We build and build and create till we make something do we not? Well maybe 'God'. Is just much more highly advanced then we are. Maybe 'God'. Is a leaving breath cell. Who keeps evolving giving all life. And maybe satin is a virus who is sent to destroy and 'God' Is evolving to make a vacine for all of us.

Actually, the proposition that humans "create" in the sense that god "creates" is mistaken. Humans conceptualize, manipulate, assemble and discover through incident but never cause something to categorically exist.

ghost said:
But I will say this, if you do stand at the throne of 'God'. Will you say everything you have said today?
Yes, if this is my fate, I will vigorously say everything that is said here by atheists regarding the injustice of God should "he" turn out to exist. But that is the subject of another thread.

It is very disappointing that so few will engage in a logical argument that moves the participants toward examining the subject of this thread. I could argue the side of historical 'evidence' for Christianity better than the ones who've offered anything here, and I'm an Atheist. C'mon people!!!

And then there's the arguments that philosophers have attempted, which I am not as familiar with.

Dezaad said:
Yes, if this is my fate, I will vigorously say everything that is said here by atheists regarding the injustice of God should "he" turn out to exist. But that is the subject of another thread.

It is very disappointing that so few will engage in a logical argument that moves the participants toward examining the subject of this thread. I could argue the side of historical 'evidence' for Christianity better than the ones who've offered anything here, and I'm an Atheist. C'mon people!!!

And then there's the arguments that philosophers have attempted, which I am not as familiar with.

Well the basic fact for christianity being a true religion, is that its still here. Its large, very large. Dare I say probly larger in america then atheism. The fact that we are debating about it on this thread does not mean we have to tear it about does it?
You just want to totally put it down, but unfortnantly some of us want to see why it is here.
But since you want to debate about it, why is it not?

The question of the thread is: Why is Christianity the true religion?
To which you answer:
ghost said:
Well the basic fact for christianity being a true religion, is that its still here. Its large, very large. Dare I say probly larger in america then atheism.

Christianity is larger in America than Atheism. The fact that it is a large religion is an argument some people make for it's truth. So, are you saying that truth is a democratic thing? Whatever the majority holds to be true is the truth? This wouldn't help you, however, because the largest religion in the world is not Chritianity, and the majority of people reject it. I don't agree, however, that this is what makes Christianity untrue. I don't think truth is democratic. Maybe you should be a Muslim. It is believed by more people than Christianity.

Another part of your argument is that Christianity is persistent. Are you saying that the belief that is the most persistent is the correct one? Because this doesn't help you either. Older systems of religion have so far been far more persistent than Christianity. For example, in Asia. This however, does not make these religions the correct ones. I don't think that truth is established by what is believed for the longest. Maybe you should be a Hindu, it is older than Christianity.

“There have been no sects in the christian world, however absurd, which have not endeavoured to support their opinions by arguments drawn from Scripture, misinterpreted or misapplied.

“We had a melancholy instance of this in our own country, in the last century, - when the church of Christ, as well as the government, during that period of national confusion, was torn asunder into various sects and factions; - when some men pretended to have Scripture precepts, parables, or prophecies to plead, in favor of the most impious absurdities that falsehood could advance. The same spirit which prevailed amongst the fanaticks, seems to have gone forth among these modern enthusiasts. - Faith, the distinguishing characteristic of a christian, is defined by them not as a rational assent of the understanding, to truths which are established by indisputable authority, but as a violent persuasion of mind, that they are instantaneously become the children of God - that the whole score of their sins is for ever blotted out, without the payment of one tear of repentance. - Pleasing doctrine this to the fears and passions of mankind! - promising fair to gain proselytes of the vicious and impenitent.”

- Laurence Sterne, “On Enthusiasm, “ Sermons of the late Rev. Sterne, V-VII, sermon 11 (1769)

Nemo said:

Maybe you will have decency to hang yourself to.

Back
Top Bottom