• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Why I'm not on board with trans

Rickeroo

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
So my daughter's friend is troubled - a couple of hospitalizations for self-harm and mental health. A couple of years ago in high school, she became a "they". I knew then that she was reaching for an identity due to low self esteem. Becoming something she wasn't, and even worse, hating her own womanhood, was a manifestation of her low sense of self.

Here's the tough part. I didn't dare suggest to my daughter that maybe her friend wasn't a "they". To suggest such a thing meant I hated her friend, so I kept silent about it. I saw they few and far between, then earlier this year my daughter reported that she no longer goes by "they". This is what the left would call a detransition.

The they state allowed her another way to feel bad about her own identity - being a they didn't cause her low-self esteem, and becoming a she again didn't raise her self-esteem. Because trans is everywhere, the natural ebb and flow of her teenage doubts looked to trans as an outlet. Back in the late 80's, those of us looking for indentity expression would have long hair and wear rock band patches on jean jackets. Others would dress in black and wear Doc Martens.

Then we grew up.

1) God forbid an individual choose what's good for their own well-being without OP having a dumbass, irrelevant opinion about it.

2) Trans isn't "everywhere." Trans individuals are 1-2 percent of the population at best.

3) Detransitioners are the new ex-gays. Let people make their own goddamn decisions and do what's best for themselves. It literally costs zero skin off your goddamn back to mind ya goddamn business.

4) Is this whole post somehow implying that if this individual HADN'T detransitioned you would be "on board"? Or would you still have some other ignorant dumbass take?

So my daughter's friend is troubled - a couple of hospitalizations for self-harm and mental health. A couple of years ago in high school, she became a "they". I knew then that she was reaching for an identity due to low self esteem. Becoming something she wasn't, and even worse, hating her own womanhood, was a manifestation of her low sense of self.

Here's the tough part. I didn't dare suggest to my daughter that maybe her friend wasn't a "they". To suggest such a thing meant I hated her friend, so I kept silent about it. I saw they few and far between, then earlier this year my daughter reported that she no longer goes by "they". This is what the left would call a detransition.

The they state allowed her another way to feel bad about her own identity - being a they didn't cause her low-self esteem, and becoming a she again didn't raise her self-esteem. Because trans is everywhere, the natural ebb and flow of her teenage doubts looked to trans as an outlet. Back in the late 80's, those of us looking for indentity expression would have long hair and wear rock band patches on jean jackets. Others would dress in black and wear Doc Martens.

Then we grew up.

Anecdotal evidence is not going to help anyone, and I am questioning if anyone really helped the person you mentioned anyway.

Your anecdote should definitely govern other families. Obviously. It's the best way to do policy. Ever.
inasmuch that we should give people a more productive identity, based on accomplishment and good behavior, why shouldn't it? On its own, merit is a good idea anyway, you don't need stats to prove that. Clearly, the system failed this child. Is the suffering of one child acceptable to push the current narrative, and if so, how many is acceptable before you'd say it's time to turn back?

Anecdotal evidence is not going to help anyone, and I am questioning if anyone really helped the person you mentioned anyway.

She likely helped herself as she grew to be more self-accepting over time.

inasmuch that we should give people a more productive identity, based on accomplishment and good behavior, why shouldn't it? On its own, merit is a good idea anyway, you don't need stats to prove that. Clearly, the system failed this child. Is the suffering of one child acceptable to push the current narrative, and if so, how many is acceptable before you'd say it's time to turn back?
This feels like a screed you had ready to go and just quote replied to my unrelated observation mostly... because.

She likely helped herself as she grew to be more self-accepting over time.

So, not only do you have no idea what happened to this person you still decided to make a generalized statement over the example. And you think that is worthy of something?

Then we grew up.
So when will you grow up and give up on your unnatural sexual experimentation and obsession with the same sex?

Then we grew up.
I was going to say you are "not on board with trans" because you're simply Rickeroo. I mean, we all have read your threads, would anyone expect you to be "on board with trans"? Not a single person.

So, not only do you have no idea what happened to this person you still decided to make a generalized statement over the example. And you think that is worthy of something?

Here's what I know. She was troubled and suicidal as a she. She changed pronouns for about a year, started college. Mental health improved, and she detransitioned back to she. My guess is that the identity struggle caused the reaching. Once she figured out that she doesn't have to hate what she is, she naturally reverted.

Now here's where I have the problem. During her trans phase, it would have been socially acceptable to suggest she start taking hormones or otherwise physically alter herself to become gender-neutral or whatever a "they" is supposed to be. Off limits would be suggesting that maybe she should accept herself as she is - anyone that does that would be viewed as hateful.

1) God forbid an individual choose what's good for their own well-being without OP having a dumbass, irrelevant opinion about it.

2) Trans isn't "everywhere." Trans individuals are 1-2 percent of the population at best.

3) Detransitioners are the new ex-gays. Let people make their own goddamn decisions and do what's best for themselves. It literally costs zero skin off your goddamn back to mind ya goddamn business.

4) Is this whole post somehow implying that if this individual HADN'T detransitioned you would be "on board"? Or would you still have some other ignorant dumbass take?
How dare he suggest that the child may have mental health problems instead of being truly trans!!!!!!!

That is heresy!!!!!!

Here's what I know. She was troubled and suicidal as a she. She changed pronouns for about a year, started college. Mental health improved, and she detransitioned back to she. My guess is that the identity struggle caused the reaching. Once she figured out that she doesn't have to hate what she is, she naturally reverted.

Now here's where I have the problem. During her trans phase, it would have been socially acceptable to suggest she start taking hormones or otherwise physically alter herself to become gender-neutral or whatever a "they" is supposed to be. Off limits would be suggesting that maybe she should accept herself as she is - anyone that does that would be viewed as hateful.
You are right to suggest that a child with serious mental health problems take care of that FIRST before rushing to Trans treatment

But that violates Trans religious dogma

Then we grew up.

LOL @ the one like. Like clockwork.

You don't have to be onboard with trans, gays, black people, or anyone you don't like or don't understand. Just leave them alone, let their parents, doctors and experts treat them (you know, people with actual training in these issues, and/or who genuinely care for the individual). You don't know anything about these people, you're not an expert, and you have no idea what you're talking about.

Thank you for showing that the vast majority of teenagers do not progress to the point of taking medications or any further than that.

This teenager experimented with social transition. We do not even know if they did so under the care of a doctor.

Then decided that no, that wasn’t the answer and went back to prior pronoun usage.

I’d bet that happens quite a great deal. Just like all people would try dietary changes, exercise, supplements, etc prior to consulting with a doctor about a bariatric surgery for weight loss.

Maybe if she had started taking hormones, should would have remained "they", and actually felt better about herself.

Maybe if she had started taking hormones, should would have remained "they", and actually felt better about herself.
And maybe she's not trans at all.

But to suggest that POSSIBILITY is heresy

Then we grew up.

Just curious, are you a Christian Nationalist?

Anything is possible.

It's possible the little story in the OP was entirely made up.
Good. Then let's not attack someone who suggests it might be possible that a child with serious mental health problems is not trans at all

Good. Then let's not attack someone who suggests it might be possible that a child with serious mental health problems is not trans at all

Did I do that?

Back
Top Bottom