• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Why I say "Happy Holidays!"

vergiss

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
Due to all this talk about the "war on Christmas" (which, if it even exists, is definitely being lost by the anti-Christmas side), I thought I'd explain the reasons why I wish people a happy holidays. It's not out of a desire for political correctness - at least, not for non-Christians' sake, anyway.

Two years ago, I made the folly of automatically wishing a stranger "Happy Chanukah" - which is hardly suprising. Did she smile and say the same in return, as I do when wished a merry Christmas? Nope. She scowled, and went off on a rant about how she's a good Christian who doesn't need or want Jewish blessings. Most disconcerting for a 15-year-old such as myself at the time.

Now, I've trained myself to say happy holidays. That way, I won't accidentally offend anyone with my celebration. As for people who wish me a merry Christmas? I say, thank you, because a gesture of goodwill is not something to get anal retentive about.

Happy Chanukah, vergiss!

I use Happy Holidays if extending a greeting to someone I don't know, so I don't inadvertently offend them.

Although, as you'll notice in my signature, I also use Happy December in some instances to prove a point to the Christians that DO want to get anal retentive about it.....Christmas is NOT the only holiday celebrated this month. That's why I get so irate over their "War on Christmas" when they mention schools using "winter break" on the calendars versus "Christmas break"....well, duh. It doesn't take two weeks to celebrate Christmas, so why should it be called Christmas break? Not to mention, the break falls over the week of Chanukah, and New Year's Eve/Day. Calling it merely a "Christmas break" is just incorrect.

Not to mention, I just think it's kinda neat to say Happy December....I'm wishing you happiness for EVERY day of the month, not just the holidays!!! Mwahahahaha!

*deep breath*

Sorry about that.

But, Happy December to all!

vergiss said:
Due to all this talk about the "war on Christmas" (which, if it even exists, is definitely being lost by the anti-Christmas side), I thought I'd explain the reasons why I wish people a happy holidays. It's not out of a desire for political correctness - at least, not for non-Christians' sake, anyway.

Two years ago, I made the folly of automatically wishing a stranger "Happy Chanukah" - which is hardly suprising. Did she smile and say the same in return, as I do when wished a merry Christmas? Nope. She scowled, and went off on a rant about how she's a good Christian who doesn't need or want Jewish blessings. Most disconcerting for a 15-year-old such as myself at the time.

Now, I've trained myself to say happy holidays. That way, I won't accidentally offend anyone with my celebration. As for people who wish me a merry Christmas? I say, thank you, because a gesture of goodwill is not something to get anal retentive about.

Woop!!!!
Thats why its best for us Jews (even us Jews-by-choice) to continue to be polite to those who wish to be offended by our "Jewish Blessings" yet continue to ignorantly wish us a "Merry Christmas". This will just go to prove that they are , in fact, not as "good" of christians as they think they are.
If this woman was really a "good" christian, wouldn't she be polite back to you? Isn't one of thier savior's teachings not to judge others?

Its funny how christians preach this love thy neighbor rhetoric, when Jews more often than not follow this philosophy more than the Christians do.

Stace said:
I use Happy Holidays if extending a greeting to someone I don't know, so I don't inadvertently offend them.
I just say "hello", "howdy", "bye", "later" et al.... I'm too lazy to update my greetings.

shuamort said:
I just say "hello", "howdy", "bye", "later" et al.... I'm too lazy to update my greetings.
I heard "Go F--- Yourself" works year-round...:cool:

BTW - Can you just imagine Rudolph down here saying that?

Santa - "Rudolph; with your nose, so bright...Won't you guide my sleigh tonight???"

Rudolph - "Go F--- Yourself!"

:rofl

cnredd said:
I heard "Go F--- Yourself" works year-round...:cool:

As does "Screw you", "bugger off", "take a hike"......well, you get the idea. :2razz:

cnredd said:
BTW - Can you just imagine Rudolph down here saying that?

Santa - "Rudolph; with your nose, so bright...Won't you guide my sleigh tonight???"

Rudolph - "Go F--- Yourself!"

:rofl

:lamo

BTW, you gave me a good startle with that PM.....made me think I was a bad girl for a minute....:(

Stace said:
:lamo

BTW, you gave me a good startle with that PM.....made me think I was a bad girl for a minute....:(
And now you think you're a bad girl for a couple of hours?...:2wave:

cnredd said:
And now you think you're a bad girl for a couple of hours?...:2wave:

nope.....just for that one little minute.....

Stace said:
nope.....just for that one little minute.....

For me...that's more than enough time...:doh

Back
Top Bottom