• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Why I Love EVE

Just curious, what do you play?

Currently EQ2, though I do have 2 active EVE accounts that I spend some time with. It's a nice break to grind through a few level 4's.

Currently EQ2, though I do have 2 active EVE accounts that I spend some time with. It's a nice break to grind through a few level 4's.
Never tried it. I'm a tech/sci-fi geek, so I wanna see my Dominix deploy some Ogre II drones and pwn the crap out of the Serpentis (my favorite prey.) :)
Which, WoW or EVE?

EVE

That might start changing if the game starts coming out in stores.

It'll be interesting what will happen to that game when it becomes more international. Being multi-lingual will become a massive asset.

If you pay for the whole year, you can get it as low as $11 a month. There's the initial sticker-shock, but it's worth it in the long run.

Yeah I know that now, but I'm still going to wait until I get a job.

Yeah I know that now, but I'm still going to wait until I get a job.

One note on EVE, you can pay for your subscription with ingame currency. It's impossible to make enough ingame at first to pay, but after 3 to 4 months, would actually be fairly easy if you have enough playtime. I have not paid cash for my second account ever.

Yes but playing EVE consumes time that I already have trouble allocating towards looking for a job. :p

EVE > All other MMOs combined... [in my opinion]

Here's why - when you die in EVE, you don't basically hit 'reset' and run from a graveyard. Death matters, thus people play realistically. Plus, the game is truly player driven in many facets, such as the economy, territories, etc.

Awesome game. I'm having a hard time deciding between playing it or ME2 right now.

Here's why - when you die in EVE, you don't basically hit 'reset' and run from a graveyard. Death matters, thus people play realistically. Plus, the game is truly player driven in many facets, such as the economy, territories, etc.

Awesome game. I'm having a hard time deciding between playing it or ME2 right now.

EQ has a higher death penalty than EVE.

That was one of my problems with it. I don't want my escapist fantasies to be too realistic.

EQ has a higher death penalty than EVE.

I was speaking more of the 'big' MMOs currently on the market, such as WOW, AoC, WAR, LoTR, etc. Does EQ still draw a sizeable crowd?

That was one of my problems with it. I don't want my escapist fantasies to be too realistic.

True... but the knowledge of absolutely running some other nerd's day when you gank their ship makes it absolutely worth it to me.

True... but the knowledge of absolutely running some other nerd's day when you gank their ship makes it absolutely worth it to me.

Just so you know, I hate people that are like that in the game :2razz: . We just might cross missiles/lasers/hybrids/projectiles in the future :) .

I was speaking more of the 'big' MMOs currently on the market, such as WOW, AoC, WAR, LoTR, etc. Does EQ still draw a sizeable crowd?

Larger than all those but WoW.

Just so you know, I hate people that are like that in the game :2razz: . We just might cross missiles/lasers/hybrids/projectiles in the future :) .

Carebear KOS. :D

I don't pod kill though.

Carebear KOS. :D

I don't pod kill though.

It pisses me off when people flip cans or ninja salvage. Especially the latter. I've started taking precautions, like blowing up my wrecks if I think someone will take it :2razz: .

It pisses me off when people flip cans or ninja salvage. Especially the latter. I've started taking precautions, like blowing up my wrecks if I think someone will take it :2razz: .

Ninja salvaging is just stupid. You can make so much better money for your time doing just about anything else.

Ninja salvaging is just stupid. You can make so much better money for your time doing just about anything else.

It'll be a while, but after I get into a Kronos (Gallente marauder), I won't have to worry about that crap.

That very much depends on the game.

Not in my experience.

Wow, EQ (never did 2), Champions Online, City of Heroes/Villains, Guild Wars.

Other players almost exclusively detract from the game.

Some games have real young audiences(WoW), some much older and more mature(EQ2). EVE falls somewhere in between, but it is definitely possible to find some older, more mature, stable and decent people there.

There might be a dollar buried at the bottom of an outhouse, but it's not worth the effort of mucking through waist-deep excrement to find it.

I think that's a pretty crappy view of multiplayer games.

That's my experience of them. Other players usually ruin the game.

I'm really picky about who I play multiplayer games with when I do end up playing, and I always end up finding a group of mature, level-headed and intelligent people that are really fun to play with; anyone else that I dislike I just mute.

So I'm fully confident that it is possible to find a good corp to join in EVE that is filled with intelligent and respectful people.

And I'm fully confident that there is a dollar at the bottom of that outhouse.

Not in my experience.

Wow, EQ (never did 2), Champions Online, City of Heroes/Villains, Guild Wars.

Ah. I think we have isolated the problem. It's not with the games or the playerbases.

That's my experience of them. Other players usually ruin the game.
That's a big part of the reason I avoid almost all other MMOs. I played WoW for a while but eventually I got so sick of the people I just flat left.

EVE I have to say has kept my interest longer specifically because, as others have attested, the playerbase tends to be a lot different. It's complexity scares away the young kids and in EVE your word really is gold. Acting like a dick will only get you so far, until your corp kicks you out on your own and eventually you wont be able to get work anywhere decent.

I think the problem might be with you. All MMOs certainly have their fair share of idiots (as does any endeavor involving other human beings), but generally there are a lot more good people than bad.

I think the problem might be with you. All MMOs certainly have their fair share of idiots (as does any endeavor involving other human beings), but generally there are a lot more good people than bad.

I have almost literally never seen them.

I would estimate that over 90% of my interaction with other players is clicking "No" to blind team invites, blind group invites, blind guild invites, blind duel invites, etc.

On the few occasions that I did decide to try a group, it was always the same. There would be virtually no communication, no attempt at planning. Trying to do so was a waste of time because no matter what, it would end up with a part of the group charging into battle and leaving the others to try to catch up (or, more often, trying to save them).

There you go. A brief description of almost all of my interactions with others on MMOs.

Back
Top Bottom