• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Why I appose a wall

THere are two major reasons why I appose the wall. One deals with the lack of effectiveness of a wall and the other is expense.
The first is that I think not only will the wall be ineffective, it will lead to more people using the coyotes than presently. It will create a more thriving business for these thugs as people will think they need them to get across the new wall/fence/barrier. If you think that this wall in any form can keep people from getting across, you are wrong.
The other problem with the wall is the expense, not only of building and maintaining a wall which those who want entry will continue to destroy sections, but the cost of still providing all of the other means of maintaining our borders. We will spend the 20-whatever billions on the wall and then when it is found that people go over, under and through, we will have to still spend the money on the other means of maintaining our borders that most people believe will actually be effective in keeping out illegals. So we will be paying twice for the same security instead of once, all to satisfy a Trump promise and the people at Fox News and Limbaugh that have forced Trump to turn down plans to keep our government open.

What the heck?

Do you know how much the illegal drugs alone getting through our borders and ports are costing the American taxpayer? Hundreds of billions a year. Do you even have a clue to the amount put on taxpayers for every illegal that comes across the border is costing? Last reported 70,000 per illegal. It cost the US taxpayer about 70 billion per million illegals. And it costs the U.S. taxpayers 10,000 for every one that is deported.
And you are going to complain about the cost to secure a damn border that has been abused for years by those who use our feckless immigration laws against us? Hell we might as well lay down a wall of welcome mats across the border as is.
https://www.worldtribune.com/report-each-illegal-immigrant-costs-70000-each-deportation-costs-10000/

We have an opiod crisis and the Southern border is definitely helping to fuel it. Exposure to less than 2 grams of fentanyl — a substance 25 to 50 times stronger than heroin — could kill an unsuspecting person who thinks it is merely sand. So lets not just focus on those who choose to use the drug but others who could accidently come in contact with it.

I would like you to think about that for a minute. Drug dealers rent cars to disperse their drugs. They stay in hotels/motels with their cargo of drugs. You and your family take a vacation. You rent a car or stay in a hotel that may have been used by a dealer or a user prior to you and your family. There are legislators in states in order to protect the public are pushing for legislation that will make realtors and renters disclose any information of things like drug overdoses and drug activity in the home prior.
https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2018/dec/27/fentanyl-secondary-exposure-can-kill-small-amounts/

Now is the time for all good men and women to come to the aid of their country and demand an end to the absolute insanity.

Your message says you want to eliminate the borders entirely and however many tens or hundreds of millions of impoverished and uneducated people who want to come here to live off our social programs and compete downward on salaries for jobs should be let in.

All the rest are just words explaining why you want to eliminate the United States as a nation and instead make it the world's dumping ground for their country's poor people.

Actually, when has the US NOT been the dumping ground for the world's poor people? After all, the people willing to make the journey all the way across the oceans to come here were not exactly the kind of people who were doing well back home, was it?

What the heck?

Do you know how much the illegal drugs alone getting through our borders and ports are costing the American taxpayer? Hundreds of billions a year. Do you even have a clue to the amount put on taxpayers for every illegal that comes across the border is costing? Last reported 70,000 per illegal. It cost the US taxpayer about 70 billion per million illegals. And it costs the U.S. taxpayers 10,000 for every one that is deported.
And you are going to complain about the cost to secure a damn border that has been abused for years by those who use our feckless immigration laws against us? Hell we might as well lay down a wall of welcome mats across the border as is.
https://www.worldtribune.com/report-each-illegal-immigrant-costs-70000-each-deportation-costs-10000/

We have an opiod crisis and the Southern border is definitely helping to fuel it. Exposure to less than 2 grams of fentanyl — a substance 25 to 50 times stronger than heroin — could kill an unsuspecting person who thinks it is merely sand. So lets not just focus on those who choose to use the drug but others who could accidently come in contact with it.

I would like you to think about that for a minute. Drug dealers rent cars to disperse their drugs. They stay in hotels/motels with their cargo of drugs. You and your family take a vacation. You rent a car or stay in a hotel that may have been used by a dealer or a user prior to you and your family. There are legislators in states in order to protect the public are pushing for legislation that will make realtors and renters disclose any information of things like drug overdoses and drug activity in the home prior.
https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2018/dec/27/fentanyl-secondary-exposure-can-kill-small-amounts/

Now is the time for all good men and women to come to the aid of their country and demand an end to the absolute insanity.

The wall is not the solution. A wall can’t do much about that when drug trafficking is concentrated at land ports of entry, not remote stretches of the border.

The Drug Enforcement Administration says “only a small percentage” of heroin seized by U.S. authorities comes across on territory between ports of entry. The same is true of drugs generally.

In their 2018 report , the agency said the most common trafficking technique by transnational criminal organizations is to hide drugs in passenger vehicles or tractor-trailers as they drive into the U.S. though entry ports, where they are stopped and subject to inspection. They also employ buses, cargo trains and tunnels, the report says, citing other smuggling methods that also would not be choked off by a border wall.

If Trump was really interested in doing something, building a wall is not the place to start. The wall is just a symbol. It's like a giant middle finger to Mexico, South America, and the world. But in practice, it really won't do anything for illegal immigration or drugs or crime.

I think the reason Trump and his supporters like it so much is not because they are interested in actually doing something, as just sticking out their middle finger to everyone. But one has to ask: what then? The problem will still be there.

Do you want to actually fix the problem, or just give everyone the finger?

fyourfeelings.jpg

Last edited:
^
The kind of person decrying loss of "civility" in political discourse, the kind of person who dishonestly whined about "divisiveness" for which Obama was supposedly responsible, etc., it's always the same kind of person, isn't it? You know...

...the kind of person who supports a politician because he thinks that politician might have upset a liberal.
I am the kind of person who when in Rome behaves as the Roman's do

As the piano player in the white house says,

I dont write the music I just play the tune

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I am the kind of person who when in Rome behaves as the Roman's do

As the piano player in the white house says,

I dont write the music I just play the tune

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Romans don't get to use that expression.

The wall is not the solution. A wall can’t do much about that when drug trafficking is concentrated at land ports of entry, not remote stretches of the border.

The Drug Enforcement Administration says “only a small percentage” of heroin seized by U.S. authorities comes across on territory between ports of entry. The same is true of drugs generally.

In their 2018 report , the agency said the most common trafficking technique by transnational criminal organizations is to hide drugs in passenger vehicles or tractor-trailers as they drive into the U.S. though entry ports, where they are stopped and subject to inspection. They also employ buses, cargo trains and tunnels, the report says, citing other smuggling methods that also would not be choked off by a border wall.

If Trump was really interested in doing something, building a wall is not the place to start. The wall is just a symbol. It's like a giant middle finger to Mexico, South America, and the world. But in practice, it really won't do anything.

I think the reason Trump and his supporters like it so much is not because they are interested in actually doing something, as just sticking out their middle finger to everyone. But one has to ask: what then? The problem will still be there.

Do you want to actually fix the problem, or just give everyone the finger?

Bull****! The cartel and the coyotes who work for them get their drugs across the border by using those who hire the coyotes. The same time they have multiple crossings on the border in some locations they are coming across with the drugs in another while border patrol is busy with the illegals. That's why border patrol want barriers that can be seen through in locations where it would be helpful. If you have seen a lot of the fencing there is no way to see what is happening on the other side.

The vast majority of drugs in the United States coming through the South are via ports of Entry hidden in cars and trucks a wall will do nothing to stop the flow of drugs

You're right. It's silly to say that steel barriers won't hinder any and all that is illegal from entering our country. You live in SD so like me, you must know this.
We need more boots and paws on the ground at ports of entry to stop drug smuggling. It's an endless battle.

Last I heard, there are hundreds of job openings for border patrol agents but don't quote me because like I said I "heard" this on the news.--(I can't remember which station though.)

What the heck?

Yes, and practically none of the drug running will be stopped by a wall. They come through ports of entry, by air or by sea. The little that comes across outside of ports of entry are coming through tunnels that no fence would stop. Opioids are not coming across the border, they are being distributed by our own drug companies. And fentanyl is being flown in from China. one of these drugs will be stopped by a wall.

The vast majority of drugs in the United States coming through the South are via ports of Entry hidden in cars and trucks a wall will do nothing to stop the flow of drugs

Correction those being apprehended are via ports of entry.

There's plenty pouring across the border. When you have a drug cartel and coyotes working with each other, you simply use the people who have hired coyotes to cross the border in unison keeping border patrol busy while the cartel smuggles in the drugs in a different location. The border patrol have long figured that out. They know once they have made it across the border successfully they have people in the U.S. waiting for them once they get successfully across the border to drive them the hell out of the area undetected. It's time to get smarter than the cartel. That includes major upgrades on the border including barriers THE BORDER PATROL says they need.

Bull****! The cartel and the coyotes who work for them get their drugs across the border by using those who hire the coyotes. The same time they have multiple crossings on the border in some locations they are coming across with the drugs in another while border patrol is busy with the illegals. That's why border patrol want barriers that can be seen through in locations where it would be helpful. If you have seen a lot of the fencing there is no way to see what is happening on the other side.

I know you watch the shows on TV, but very little drugs are brought over by illegals or even the coyotes. Look at the facts, most drugs come across at ports of entry, by air or by sea. A wall,unless you can build it 50,000 feet high and bury it 50 feet deep is not going to stop the drug runners who use the general border to smuggle drugs.

I know you watch the shows on TV, but very little drugs are brought over by illegals or even the coyotes. Look at the facts, most drugs come across at ports of entry, by air or by sea. A wall,unless you can build it 50,000 feet high and bury it 50 feet deep is not going to stop the drug runners who use the general border to smuggle drugs.

I just address that above in another post please see post #84.

So you think the DEA is wrong in its assessment that illegal border crossings represent only a minority of the drugs entering this country?

It wouldn't surprise me. I mean you guys think the unanimous consensus of every single scientific organization on the planet on global warming is wrong too, and the unanimous consensus of all of Trump's own intel chiefs on Russian interference is wrong too.

How do you seem to know? Well, you seem to think a nice "Bull****!" at the beginning of your argument is good enough.

Correction those being apprehended are via ports of entry.

There's plenty pouring across the border. When you have a drug cartel and coyotes working with each other, you simply use the people who have hired coyotes to cross the border in unison keeping border patrol busy while the cartel smuggles in the drugs in a different location. The border patrol have long figured that out. They know once they have made it across the border successfully they have people in the U.S. waiting for them once they get successfully across the border to drive them the hell out of the area undetected. It's time to get smarter than the cartel. That includes major upgrades on the border including barriers THE BORDER PATROL says they need.

#85...

THere are two major reasons why I appose the wall. One deals with the lack of effectiveness of a wall and the other is expense.
The first is that I think not only will the wall be ineffective, it will lead to more people using the coyotes than presently. It will create a more thriving business for these thugs as people will think they need them to get across the new wall/fence/barrier. If you think that this wall in any form can keep people from getting across, you are wrong.
And yet there are any number of examples of walls being very effective. Understand that other processes will also continue - patrols, surveillance, etc.

independentusa said:
The other problem with the wall is the expense, not only of building and maintaining a wall which those who want entry will continue to destroy sections, but the cost of still providing all of the other means of maintaining our borders. We will spend the 20-whatever billions on the wall and then when it is found that people go over, under and through, we will have to still spend the money on the other means of maintaining our borders that most people believe will actually be effective in keeping out illegals. So we will be paying twice for the same security instead of once, all to satisfy a Trump promise and the people at Fox News and Limbaugh that have forced Trump to turn down plans to keep our government open.
the amount Trump is asking for represents about a half-days government spending.

I'm opposed to improper spelling.

Back
Top Bottom