• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Why I am trying to put the brakes on Trump's pardon powers

Never listen to her, not ever, so sorry to disappoint.
Sure, we believe you. We really do.. Honest.
Pssst, Your Lack-O-Class is showing, Again.
I reference the liberal gold standard - Rachel's Vagina - just to rattle liberal men. It never fails. Thanks for not disappointing.

Last edited:
Btw, editing a poster's post to change the context is distasteful.

I do not believe I changed any important context.

Frankly, I won't even read it. We won't even consider amending our Constitution to satisfy the hateful rantings of the unhinged.

Of course... even for a concept you clearly argued for (or at least complained about abuses by other side), AND after running out of excuses, you still won't support it ONLY because it's brought up by the other side. 😆 🤣 😆 🤣

Sure, we believe you. We really do.. Honest.

I reference the liberal gold standard - Rachel's Vagina - just to rattle liberal men. It never fails. Thanks for not disappointing.
LOL, you actually think I care squat if you believe me or not? Now that really is cute....

Didn't rattle anything here, but it shows something about your character and I am sure the readers have seen it before.

LOL, you actually think I care squat if you believe me or not? Now that really is cute....
Given the puerile crap you post here to, it's clear you don't give a flying **** what anyone thinks of you.

Didn't rattle anything here, but it shows something about your character and I am sure the readers have seen it before.
You had to comment on it, so clearly it hit a nerve.

I do not believe I changed any important context.
Sure, ok, whatever.
Of course... even for a concept you clearly argued for (or at least complained about abuses by other side), AND after running out of excuses, you still won't support it ONLY because it's brought up by the other side. 😆 🤣 😆 🤣
What concept? I've done nothing but mock that asshole Cohen and his asinine proposal.

Given the puerile crap you post here to, it's clear you don't give a flying **** what anyone thinks of you.

You had to comment on it, so clearly it hit a nerve.
Glad you enjoy my posts, look forward to reading more.

In your wet dreams, Rawley

Trump could pardon every last person in the federal prison system and his fans would cheer. They will cheer when he issues pardons for himself, his entire family and most of his closest advisers.

Of course, the fact that a pardon is accepted is an admission of guilt. Not a problem for Trump fans. He may actually shoot someone on 5th Avenue just to make his point.

I agree but you'd be better off trying to limit the president ability to do executive orders which is largely unconstitutional as its used today.

Absolutely ........ we need to get this underway ........ no matter who is president. Eliminate the executive order privilege mostly because it bypasses the people, bypasses the corrupt house and senate and most of all
prevents justice according to the law.

I am in favor of putting more votes to the people on a number of issues. Partisan and criminal politics suck!!!!!!

Why I am trying to put the brakes on Trump's pardon powers

============================
The broad language used in the Constitution was designed to allow for flexibility, but it also assumes public interest-minded leaders and a respect for institutional norms.
Trump has turned the pardon power on its head. Rather than a tool to better pursue justice, he is using it to circumvent justice. My latest proposal, introduced in 2019, would prohibit the president from pardoning himself, his family, members of his administration and campaign employees. This would help prevent the exact type of self-dealing and reversals of justice of the pardons we are seeing issued now.
the ability to pardon himself or herself and his or her family could be abused to create a quasi-hereditary monarchy where the first family is literally beyond the reach of the law
Even worse, an unlawful president could direct officials to act criminally and dangle the prospect of pardon. That creates a system of rule by decree. Laws would be completely at the discretion of the president -- a recipe for autocracy.
Should you think this is a far-fetched scenario, it apparently has already happened. <see the article for example>
If a president could pardon campaign officials for criminal conduct, then a person could do anything to become president, so long as he or she wins in the end. ... the new president could pardon any federal crimes committed in the "service" of his race. This isn't some crazy theory. Last week, ... <see the article for example>
The bottom line is that, with a president more concerned about himself or herself than the nation, a pardon power that includes family, administration officials and campaign employees is overbroad and dangerous. The president could elevate himself or herself -- and his or her whims -- above the democratic process. These pardons wouldn't be "tak(ing) Care that the Laws be faithfully executed," as delineated in Article II of the Constitution, but would be self-dealing and constitutionalized corruption.
============================

- Congressman Steve Cohen from Tennessee

(y)
And they say TDS is NOT a cult! :rolleyes:

And they say TDS is NOT a cult! :rolleyes:

Let's talk about BDS for a second. I am curious why you have "Impeach faux President Joe Biden" next to your avatar. What are the impeachable offenses that Joe committed?

Let's talk about BDS for a second. I am curious why you have "Impeach faux President Joe Biden" next to your avatar. What are the impeachable offenses that Joe committed?
he doesn't know he's a mark. go easy on him.

Disagree. When it comes to Cohen's premise that "Trump has turned the pardon power on its head" quantity absolutely factors in. Clinton was granting pardons for campaign cash, so it's hard to see anyone saying the Trump or any other president could turn the power on it's head and abuse it.

What I find fascinating about this kind of reasoning is that the people who use it probably don't like Clinton. Yet, Trump doing what Clinton did is fine. Doesn't make sense.

Its just a rationalization. Like the kid getting caught talking in class defends himself by saying another's are talking as well.

Everything about Trump always goes back to middle school.

Oh, I’m sure he’ll done something at least as heinous as asking another country’s leader to “do me a favor”.

Oh, I’m sure he’ll done something at least as heinous as asking another country’s leader to “do me a favor”.

I see. So you are calling for impeachment NOT for what he has not done, but what you THINK he WILL do.

Not only that, you are sure he will ask for a favor from another country and condition Congress-approved aid to that country based on a favor to him.

Interesting.

What I find fascinating about this kind of reasoning is that the people who use it probably don't like Clinton. Yet, Trump doing what Clinton did is fine. Doesn't make sense.

Its just a rationalization. Like the kid getting caught talking in class defends himself by saying another's are talking as well.

Everything about Trump always goes back to middle school.
?? I'm saying Cohen's reasoning of " "Trump has turned the pardon power on its head" is ridiculous becasue Presidents have been using the pardon power of personal and political reasons for decades. Which of Trump's 28 Pardons do you find offensive? Flynn's? Do you think that compares to the Clinton's pardon of Marc Rich or Obama's pardon of Chelsea Manning or Oscar Lopez Rivera?

I see. So you are calling for impeachment NOT for what he has not done, but what you THINK he WILL do.
Just following the lead of the the lefties who were talking about impeaching Trump before he was inaugurated.
Slavister said:
Not only that, you are sure he will ask for a favor from another country and condition Congress-approved aid to that country based on a favor to him.
You understand the term “at least”. I expect Xi jinping will ask HIM to do a favor, or favors. They’re already BFFs.

Interesting.
[/QUOTE]

Back
Top Bottom