• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Why I am atheist....

If there truly is a hell, we still can't be sure that anyone goes there, of if some people go there, we don't know why they go there. We only have various religions' and denominations' views on why that is. In some denominations, eventually everyone goes to heaven. In some, hardly anyone goes to heaven. Some say only 144,000 will be saved. Some say you have to believe in "God" to go to heaven. Others say you have to accept Jesus as Lord and Savior. Others say you have to do one or the other AND do good works. Others say it doesn't matter what you believe or do, it's totally up to "God's Grace" as to whether you get into heaven.

Lol- direct your post to Watsup. He claims to know!

Anyway - that's not my point with what you've quoted............RIGHT?

I'm responding to Watsup!
He's so sensitive.
He freaks out every time someone mentions hell.

Why can't he responds like you do?

Exactly. Is it death? Is it a pit? What pit? What's the pit like? So, what is the correct understanding?
The original meaning of sheol/hades/hell was pit/the grave...nothing more...the lake of fire is entirely something different...hell and death is thrown into the lake of fire, representing total destruction...Revelation 20:3...

LAKE OF FIRE
This expression occurs only in the book of Revelation and is clearly symbolic. The Bible gives its own explanation and definition of the symbol by stating: “This means the second death, the lake of fire.”—Re 20:14; 21:8.

The symbolic quality of the lake of fire is further evident from the context of references to it in the book of Revelation. Death is said to be hurled into this lake of fire. (Re 19:20; 20:14) Death obviously cannot be literally burned. Moreover, the Devil, an invisible spirit creature, is thrown into the lake. Being spirit, he cannot be hurt by literal fire.—Re 20:10; compare Ex 3:2 and Jg 13:20.

Since the lake of fire represents “the second death” and since Revelation 20:14 says that both “death and Hades” are to be cast into it, it is evident that the lake cannot represent the death man has inherited from Adam (Ro 5:12), nor does it refer to Hades (Sheol). It must, therefore, be symbolic of another kind of death, one that is without reversal, for the record nowhere speaks of the “lake” as giving up those in it, as do Adamic death and Hades (Sheol). (Re 20:13) Thus, those not found written in “the book of life,” unrepentant opposers of God’s sovereignty, are hurled into the lake of fire, meaning eternal destruction, or the second death.—Re 20:15.
https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1200002669

The original meaning of sheol/hades/hell was pit/the grave...nothing more...the lake of fire is entirely something different...hell and death is thrown into the lake of fire, representing total destruction...Revelation 20:3...
Sure, that could be what it is. That's one interpretation.
LAKE OF FIRE
This expression occurs only in the book of Revelation and is clearly symbolic. The Bible gives its own explanation and definition of the symbol by stating: “This means the second death, the lake of fire.”—Re 20:14; 21:8.

The symbolic quality of the lake of fire is further evident from the context of references to it in the book of Revelation. Death is said to be hurled into this lake of fire. (Re 19:20; 20:14) Death obviously cannot be literally burned. Moreover, the Devil, an invisible spirit creature, is thrown into the lake. Being spirit, he cannot be hurt by literal fire.—Re 20:10; compare Ex 3:2 and Jg 13:20.
Agreed it's symbolic. We have no idea what a lake of fire is.
Since the lake of fire represents “the second death” and since Revelation 20:14 says that both “death and Hades” are to be cast into it, it is evident that the lake cannot represent the death man has inherited from Adam (Ro 5:12), nor does it refer to Hades (Sheol). It must, therefore, be symbolic of another kind of death, one that is without reversal, for the record nowhere speaks of the “lake” as giving up those in it, as do Adamic death and Hades (Sheol). (Re 20:13) Thus, those not found written in “the book of life,” unrepentant opposers of God’s sovereignty, are hurled into the lake of fire, meaning eternal destruction, or the second death.—Re 20:15.
https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1200002669
So, after all that, what is "hell" again? Is it just that old testament place for the dead - shadowy locale, not of torment but of just a place of spirits apart from God? Then those that aren't saved will be annihilated in the Lake of Fire? No more existence? That is quite different from what most Christians describe as Hell.

LAKE OF FIRE
This expression occurs only in the book of Revelation and is clearly symbolic.

FALSE!

The description of Hell being a place of fire, description of punishment by burning in fire, is described in other books.

Jude 1
5 Now I want to remind you, although you once fully knew it, that Jesus, who saved a people out of the land of Egypt, afterward destroyed those who did not believe.
6 And the angels who did not stay within their own position of authority, but left their proper dwelling, he has kept in eternal chains under gloomy darkness until the judgment of the great day—

7 just as Sodom and Gomorrah and the surrounding cities, which likewise indulged in sexual immorality and pursued unnatural desire, serve as an example by undergoing a punishment of eternal fire.

Mark 9
43 And if your hand causes you to sin, cut it off. It is better for you to enter life crippled than with two hands
to go to hell to the unquenchable fire.
45 And if your foot causes you to sin, cut it off. It is better for you to enter life lame than with two feet to be thrown into hell.
47 And if your eye causes you to sin, tear it out. It is better for you to enter the kingdom of God with one eye than with two eyes to be
thrown into hell,
48 ‘where their worm does not die and the fire is not quenched.’

Matthew 18
8 And if your hand or your foot causes you to sin, cut it off and throw it away. It is better for you to enter life crippled or lame than with two hands or two feet to be thrown into the
eternal fire.
9 And if your eye causes you to sin, tear it out and throw it away. It is better for you to enter life with one eye than with two eyes to be thrown into the hell of fire.

Isaiah 30
For a
burning place has long been prepared; indeed, for the king it is made ready, its pyre made deep and wide, with fire and wood in abundance; the breath of the Lord, like a stream of sulfur, kindles it.

Matthew 5:22

But I say to you that everyone who is angry with his brother shall be guilty before the court; and whoever says to his brother, ‘You good-for-nothing,’ shall be guilty before the supreme court; and whoever says,
‘You fool,’ shall be guilty enough to go into the fiery hell.

Matthew 13
49 So it will be at the end of the age. The angels will come out and separate the evil from the righteous
50 and throw them into
the fiery furnace. In that place there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

Matthew 25:41

“Then He will also say to those on His left, ‘Depart from Me, accursed ones, into the eternal fire which has been prepared for the devil and his angels;

And based from previous description of hell - this parable truly describes hell.

Luke 16:24
And he cried out and said, ‘Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus so that he may dip the tip of his finger in water and cool off my tongue, for I am in agony in this flame.’

Last edited:
just a place of spirits apart from God?
Not really...Ezekiel 18:4 tells us that the soul who sins dies...we all sin so there is no spirit that lives on somewhere...our only hope of living again is through the resurrection...

Then those that aren't saved will be annihilated in the Lake of Fire? No more existence?
Exactly...non-existent...

That is quite different from what most Christians describe as Hell.
Yep, but I'm searching for truth, not for popularity...lol...

He's so sensitive.

I don't know. People get scared. They don't want to "go to hell" or anything. Who would?

The trouble arises when one tries to figure out who goes there and who doesn't. A lot of people in these discussions say "well, I believe in God, just in case" - kind of a Pascal's Wager type of deal. I better believe, because if I believe and I'm wrong, no problem. If I disbelieve and I'm right, I'm saved. Only, I'm not aware of many Christian denominations that say that mere believe in "God" gets you to heaven. You have to believe in the correct God, and sometimes Jesus.

Muslims believe that if you think Jesus is the Son of God and part of God himself, you are committing a grave sin. Christians believe if you deny that Jesus is the Son of God and part of God you are committing a grave sin. Both sides believe in God. So, mere belief doesn't get us across the finish line. We need to have the correct belief, in a theistic world, to even get part of the way there. Then, depending on the denomination, we may also need to do certain things or do good works to actually get saved, and we don't know if we've done enough.

So, that leaves pretty much all of us in the same boat, not knowing if we are saved or not, no matter what we do and no matter what we believe. All people can do is go buy what they feel and what seems right to them. However, one's feelings cannot rationally be something that one can attribute to someone else. A Muslim and a Christian may both feel that they are sincerely correct in their view. One must be wrong, though. Maybe both, but at least one must be wrong.

Does a God refuse to save people who are sincerely wrong? Odd thing, that..... in my view.

GEHENNA
This name appears 12 times in the Christian Greek Scriptures, and whereas many translators take the liberty to render it by the word “hell,” a number of modern translations transliterate the word from the Greek geʹen·na.Mt 5:22, Ro, Mo, ED, NW, BC (Spanish), NC (Spanish), also the footnotes of Da and RS.

The deep, narrow Valley of Hinnom, later known by this Greek name, lay to the S and SW of ancient Jerusalem and is the modern-day Wadi er-Rababi (Ge Ben Hinnom). (Jos 15:8; 18:16; Jer 19:2, 6; see HINNOM, VALLEY OF.) Judean Kings Ahaz and Manasseh engaged in idolatrous worship there, which included the making of human sacrifices by fire to Baal. (2Ch 28:1, 3; 33:1, 6; Jer 7:31, 32; 32:35) Later, to prevent such activities there in the future, faithful King Josiah had the place of idolatrous worship polluted, particularly the section called Topheth.—2Ki 23:10.

No Symbol of Everlasting Torment. Jesus Christ associated fire with Gehenna (Mt 5:22; 18:9; Mr 9:47, 48), as did the disciple James, the only Biblical writer besides Matthew, Mark, and Luke to use the word. (Jas 3:6) Some commentators endeavor to link such fiery characteristic of Gehenna with the burning of human sacrifices that was carried on prior to Josiah’s reign and, on this basis, hold that Gehenna was used by Jesus as a symbol of everlasting torment. However, since Jehovah God expressed repugnance for such practice, saying that it was “a thing that I had not commanded and that had not come up into my heart” (Jer 7:31; 32:35), it seems most unlikely that God’s Son, in discussing divine judgment, would make such idolatrous practice the basis for the symbolic meaning of Gehenna. It may be noted that God prophetically decreed that the Valley of Hinnom would serve as a place for mass disposal of dead bodies rather than for the torture of live victims. (Jer 7:32, 33; 19:2, 6, 7, 10, 11) Thus, at Jeremiah 31:40 the reference to “the low plain of the carcasses and of the fatty ashes” is generally accepted as designating the Valley of Hinnom, and a gate known as “the Gate of the Ash-heaps” evidently opened out onto the eastern extremity of the valley at its juncture with the ravine of the Kidron.—Ne 3:13, 14.
https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1200001642

FALSE!

The description of Hell being a place of fire, description of punishment by burning in fire, is described in other books.

Jude 1
5 Now I want to remind you, although you once fully knew it, that Jesus, who saved a people out of the land of Egypt, afterward destroyed those who did not believe.
6 And the angels who did not stay within their own position of authority, but left their proper dwelling, he has kept in eternal chains under gloomy darkness until the judgment of the great day—

7 just as Sodom and Gomorrah and the surrounding cities, which likewise indulged in sexual immorality and pursued unnatural desire, serve as an example by undergoing a punishment of eternal fire.

Mark 9
43 And if your hand causes you to sin, cut it off. It is better for you to enter life crippled than with two hands
to go to hell to the unquenchable fire.
45 And if your foot causes you to sin, cut it off. It is better for you to enter life lame than with two feet to be thrown into hell.
47 And if your eye causes you to sin, tear it out. It is better for you to enter the kingdom of God with one eye than with two eyes to be
thrown into hell,
48 ‘where their worm does not die and the fire is not quenched.’

Matthew 18
8 And if your hand or your foot causes you to sin, cut it off and throw it away. It is better for you to enter life crippled or lame than with two hands or two feet to be thrown into the
eternal fire.
9 And if your eye causes you to sin, tear it out and throw it away. It is better for you to enter life with one eye than with two eyes to be thrown into the hell of fire.

Isaiah 30
For a
burning place has long been prepared; indeed, for the king it is made ready, its pyre made deep and wide, with fire and wood in abundance; the breath of the Lord, like a stream of sulfur, kindles it.

Matthew 13
49 So it will be at the end of the age. The angels will come out and separate the evil from the righteous
50 and throw them into
the fiery furnace. In that place there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.
So, the parts of the Bible that describe it as sheol - the death or the grave - and not as a place of unquenchable fire - are..... wrong?

So, the parts of the Bible that describe it as sheol - the death or the grave - and not as a place of unquenchable fire - are..... wrong?
Blame that on King James...it's the translation that is wrong...

Sheol is described in the Hebrew Scripture as the realm of the dead, or the place of the dead.
But a fiery place called hell (described with eternal fire) - as shown with various verses above - post #254 - is apparently a place for eternal punishment.

Sheol (/ˈʃiː.oʊl, -əl/ SHEE-ohl, -⁠uhl; Hebrew: שְׁאוֹל‎ Šəʾōl, Tiberian: Šŏʾōl)[1] in the Hebrew Bible is a place of still darkness which lies after death.[2] Although not well defined in the Tanakh, Sheol in this view was a subterranean underworld where the souls of the dead went after the body died.

Within the Hebrew Bible, there are few – often brief and nondescript – mentions of Sheol, seemingly describing it as a place where both the righteous and the unrighteous dead go, regardless of their moral choices in life.[2] The implications of Sheol within the texts are therefore somewhat unclear; it can be interpreted as either a generic metaphor describing "the grave" into which all humans invariably descend, or, it may be interpreted as representing an actual state of afterlife within Israelite thought. Though such practices are forbidden, the inhabitants of Sheol can, under some circumstances, be summoned by the living, as when the Witch of Endor calls up the spirit of Samuel for Saul.[3]

GEHENNA
Symbolic of Complete Destruction. It is evident that Jesus used Gehenna as representative of utter destruction resulting from adverse judgment by God, hence with no resurrection to life as a soul being possible. (Mt 10:28; Lu 12:4, 5) The scribes and Pharisees as a wicked class were denounced as ‘subjects for Gehenna.’ (Mt 23:13-15, 33) To avoid such destruction, Jesus’ followers were to get rid of anything causing spiritual stumbling, the ‘cutting off of a hand or foot’ and the ‘tearing out of an eye’ figuratively representing their deadening of these body members with reference to sin.—Mt 18:9; Mr 9:43-47; Col 3:5; compare Mt 5:27-30.

Jesus also apparently alluded to Isaiah 66:24 in describing Gehenna as a place “where their maggot does not die and the fire is not put out.” (Mr 9:47, 48) That the symbolic picture here is not one of torture but, rather, of complete destruction is evident from the fact that the Isaiah text dealt, not with persons who were alive, but with “the carcasses of the men that were transgressing” against God. If, as the available evidence indicates, the Valley of Hinnom was a place for the disposal of garbage and carcasses, fire, perhaps increased in intensity by the addition of sulfur (compare Isa 30:33), would be the only suitable means to eliminate such refuse. Where the fire did not reach, worms, or maggots, would breed, consuming anything not destroyed by the fire. On this basis, Jesus’ words would mean that the destructive effect of God’s adverse judgment would not cease until complete destruction was attained.

The Biblical use of Gehenna as a symbol corresponds to that of “the lake of fire” in the book of Revelation.—Re 20:14, 15
https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1200001642

Blame that on King James...

@MrNiceGuy

Lol - her own Jehovah's Witnesses bible - NWT - has it described as hell!

Matthew 13
49 That is how it will be in the conclusion of the system of things.* The angels will go out and separate the wicked from among the righteous
50 and will cast them into the fiery furnace. There is where their weeping and the gnashing of their teeth will be. 😁

Matthew 18
8 If, then, your hand or your foot makes you stumble, cut it off and throw it away from you.g It is better for you to enter into life maimed or lame than to be thrown with two hands or two feet into the everlasting fire.h

9 Also, if your eye makes you stumble, tear it out and throw it away from you. It is better for you to enter one-eyed into life than to be thrown with two eyes into the fiery Ge·henʹna.i

it's the translation that is wrong...

Lol - you should blame your translator who'd communicated with the dead and practiced the occult!
Need we wonder why your NWT and other JW teachings had diminished Christ, practically dismissed the significance of the Resurrection of the dead,

and gives false assurance to all, that they need not fear any punishment at all since when they die - they'll be dead and unconscious! :)

Last edited:
Sheol is described in the Hebrew Scripture as the realm of the dead, or the place of the dead.
But a fiery place called hell (described with eternal fire) - as shown with various verses above - post #254 - is apparently a place for eternal punishment.
Sure, so where do we go when we die, again? Sheol? Hell? Do we go to Sheol first, hang out there until judgment day, and then get thrown into the Lake of Fire? Is that torment?

You know, technically, reading the Bible in order of the books, Satan isn't even in Sheol or Hell - he's in heaven. The War in Heaven and the casting out of 1/3 of the Angels and of Satan doesn't happen until Revelation 12, which is future prediction. It gets complicated. And, the day of judgment where God will judge the "living and the dead" is a looooong way off. We still have to finish the tribulation and then God creates the 1,000 year "Kingdom of God on Earth," where the few saved folks get to live with God on Earth, and THEN there will be a judgment day and the old Earth will pass away and God will then create a new one.

And I guess all this kind of talk depends on which Bible we are reading. I mean, the Catholic Bible has like 5+ extra books that the Protestant Bibles do not have, so there is a lot more input into what things are and how they work.

Sure, so where do we go when we die, again? Sheol? Hell? Do we go to Sheol first, hang out there until judgment day, and then get thrown into the Lake of Fire? Is that torment?

You know, technically, reading the Bible in order of the books, Satan isn't even in Sheol or Hell - he's in heaven. The War in Heaven and the casting out of 1/3 of the Angels and of Satan doesn't happen until Revelation 12, which is future prediction. It gets complicated. And, the day of judgment where God will judge the "living and the dead" is a looooong way off. We still have to finish the tribulation and then God creates the 1,000 year "Kingdom of God on Earth," where the few saved folks get to live with God on Earth, and THEN there will be a judgment day and the old Earth will pass away and God will then create a new one.

And I guess all this kind of talk depends on which Bible we are reading. I mean, the Catholic Bible has like 5+ extra books that the Protestant Bibles do not have, so there is a lot more input into what things are and how they work.

The physical body goes back to dust but the souls of those who are saved go to God while awaiting the Second Coming and Resurrection of the dead.
I'm not sure where the souls of the unsaved would go to await this event. Perhaps, that would be Sheoul.
At the resurrection of the dead, souls will be reunited with the people - regardless of saved or not - and everyone will rise up to face judgement.

We will be resurrected differently - we'll be raised up as immortals.

Genesis 3:1-7​

King James Version​

1 Now the serpent was more subtil than any beast of the field which the Lord God had made. And he said unto the woman, Yea, hath God said, Ye shall not eat of every tree of the garden?
2 And the woman said unto the serpent, We may eat of the fruit of the trees of the garden:
3 But of the fruit of the tree which is in the midst of the garden, God hath said, Ye shall not eat of it, neither shall ye touch it, lest ye die.
4 And the serpent said unto the woman, Ye shall not surely die:
5 For God doth know that in the day ye eat thereof, then your eyes shall be opened, and ye shall be as gods, knowing good and evil.
6 And when the woman saw that the tree was good for food, and that it was pleasant to the eyes, and a tree to be desired to make one wise, she took of the fruit thereof, and did eat, and gave also unto her husband with her; and he did eat.
7 And the eyes of them both were opened, and they knew that they were naked; and they sewed fig leaves together, and made themselves aprons.
Yep....God was a liar, and the serpent spoke the truth.

Everyone believes something. You might say you only believe in yourself; however, that is a belief and a belief system regarding anything is your religion...
I believe things. I would never say I believe in myself, I don't even know what that would mean.

SOUL
  • The traditional rendering of the Hebrew word neʹphesh and the Greek word psy·kheʹ. In examining the way these terms are used in the Bible, it becomes evident that they basically refer to (1) people, (2) animals, or (3) the life that a person or an animal has. (Ge 1:20; 2:7; Nu 31:28; 1Pe 3:20; also ftns.) In contrast to the way that the term “soul” is used in many religious contexts, the Bible shows that both neʹphesh and psy·kheʹ, in connection with earthly creatures, refer to that which is material, tangible, visible, and mortal. In this translation, these original-language words have most often been rendered according to their meaning in each context, using such terms as “life,” “creature,” “person,” “one’s whole being,” or simply as a personal pronoun (for example, “I” for “my soul”). In most cases, footnotes or study notes give the alternative rendering “soul.” When the term “soul” is used in the main text, in footnotes, or in study notes, it should be understood in line with the above explanation. When referring to doing something with one’s whole soul, it means to do it with one’s whole being, wholeheartedly, or with one’s whole life. (De 6:5; Mt 22:37) In some contexts, these original-language words can be used to refer to the desire or appetite of a living creature. They can also refer to a dead person or a dead body.—Nu 6:6; Pr 23:2; Isa 56:11; Hag 2:13.
  • https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/s/r1/lp-e?q=soul&p=sen&r=newest&st=a

SOUL

He's so sensitive.

Follow-up false accusation. Is this the “best” she can do? Apparently.

Nepes [v,p,n] in the Old Testament is never the "immortal soul" but simply the life principle or living being. Such is observable in Genesis 1:20, 21, 24, where the qualified (living) nepes [v,p,n] refers to animals and is rendered "living creatures." The same Hebrew term is then applied to the creation of humankind in Genesis 2:7, where dust is vitalized by the breath of God and becomes a "living being." Thus, human being shares soul with the animals. It is the breath of God that makes the lifeless dust a "living being" — person.

The New Testament. The counterpart to nepes [v,p,n] in the New Testament is psyche [yuchv] (nepes [v,p,n] is translated as psyche [yuchv] six hundred times in the Septaugint).

Compared to nepes [v,p,n] in the Old Testament, psyche [yuchv] appears relatively infrequently in the New Testament.
This may be due to the fact that nepes [v,p,n] is used extensively in poetic literature, which is more prevalent in the Old Testament than the New Testament.

The Pauline Epistles concentrate more on soma [sw'ma] (body) and
pneuma [pneu'ma] (spirit) than psyche [yuchv].

There are passages where psyche [yuchv] stands in contrast to the body,
and there it seems to refer to an immortal part of man.
"Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body in hell" ( Matt 10:28 ).

While Scripture generally addresses humans as unitary beings,
there are such passages that seem to allow divisibility within unity.

The soul is the immaterial part of a person from which flow the actions, thoughts, desires, reasoning, etc
It is separate from the physical body. It is the part of the person that makes a person what he is, alive, aware, able, etc.
It is the essence of personhood.
Biblical theology teaches that the soul is separate from the body and can exist independently of it (2 Corinthians 5:8).

Deut 6:5
5 “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your might.

Matthew 22:37
37 And He said to him, “ ‘You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind.’

Our souls are alive (1 Samuel 25:26, 1 Corinthians 15:45), can despair (Deuteronomy 28:65), feel pain (Lamentations 3:51), be annoyed (Judges 16:16), grieved (1 Samuel 2:33, Isaiah 19:10), be bitter (Isaiah 38:15),
scorn (Ezekiel 36:5), desire (1 Samuel 23:20), hate (2 Samuel 5:8), can love (Song 3:1, 3), be troubled (2 Kings 4:27), can be redeemed (Job 33:28), be dismayed (Psalm 6:3), can hate (Psalm 11:5),
can praise (Psalm 30:12), rejoice (Psalm 35:9), can desire evil (Proverbs 21:10), be wary (Proverbs 25:25), etc.

SOUL

That line is not complete.
Here is the verse you refer to, in its right context.

Matthew 10
28 And do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather fear him who can destroy both soul and body in hell.

That line compares the power of man (those who can kill the body but cannot kill the soul), with the power of God (who can destroy both soul and body in hell).

GOD can destroy both - body and soul - simply because, HE IS GOD!
With God - nothing is impossible!

You know, technically, reading the Bible in order of the books, Satan isn't even in Sheol or Hell - he's in heaven. The War in Heaven and the casting out of 1/3 of the Angels and of Satan doesn't happen until Revelation 12, which is future prediction.

There was a rebellion in heaven. It was led by an angel named Lucifer. God threw them out of heaven into earth, and Lucifer became whom we know as Satan.

There is another war coming in the future. In the Second Coming of Christ - where-in He'll fulfill the rest of the Messianic prophecies (to finally cast Satan in hell for all eternity).
That is what's being prophesied in the Book of Revelation.

Satan isn't in heaven. He is on earth, although he can still communicate with, and seems to be able to present himself before God.

Job 1
6 One day the angels came to present themselves before the Lord, and Satan also came with them.
7 The Lord said to Satan, “Where have you come from?”

Satan answered the Lord, “From roaming throughout the earth, going back and forth on it.”

We don't know the full details as to the "arrangement" made by God with Satan, while awaiting the final moment.
Perhaps, that info doesn't fall under the "need-to-know" category for us. :)

It gets complicated. And, the day of judgment where God will judge the "living and the dead" is a looooong way off. We still have to finish the tribulation and then God creates the 1,000 year "Kingdom of God on Earth," where the few saved folks get to live with God on Earth, and THEN there will be a judgment day and the old Earth will pass away and God will then create a new one.

It could be a long way off (from our human angle), but the end result would still be the same : at some point, we'll all face JUDGMENT DAY.
That's what we're preparing for on this life on earth. To a Christian - that's the purpose of life on earth (glorifying God and preparing ourselves for that day).
This isn't a trial-run either. There is no second chance.

You refer to the Apocrypha.
This is a long article explaining why.

The Apocrypha first appeared in a Greek translation of the Old Testament called the Septuagint (LXX).1 The Septuagint was produced in Alexandria, Egypt, around 200 BC, but the individual books that constitute the Apocrypha were written roughly between 400 BC and AD 1. This period of time is frequently referred to as “the four hundred silent years” or “Second Temple Judaism” or “the time between the testaments.” It essentially makes up that blank page in your Bible between Malachi and Matthew.

The word apocrypha literally means “hidden away.” In an esteemed sense, these writings were “‘hidden’ or withdrawn from common use because they were regarded as containing mysterious or esoteric lore, too profound to be communicated to any except the initiated.”2 But in a pejorative sense, these writings are hidden for good reason. They are deemed theologically suspicious and even heretical by many.

When the Apocrypha is mentioned in this article, we are referring to all of the books listed below:

Last edited:
There was a rebellion in heaven.
Really?

Why?

Perhaps you should consider what that means.

If entities already in Heaven would “rebel”, why would “god” give two shits about what mortal humans do on Earth?

Back
Top Bottom