• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Why has the SCOTUS leak Source not been Identified?

Actually no, the leak is worse. No matter how you feel about the ruling, this will affect all future deliberations and cause dysfunction in the court.
I see your point and have said over and over the leak is a big deal. However, the focus from the right has been on who the leaker is not so much the leak itself.

I see your point and have said over and over the leak is a big deal. However, the focus from the right has been on who the leaker is not so much the leak itself.
Eh.. I see it as one and the same, knowing WHO leaked it will help identify the why, and then you can root out the problem. Was it a right leaning justice trying to force the court to stand firm? Was it Roberts trying to show the folly of the choice? Was it from the left side of the court trying to pressure the issue in their favor? (I also imply someone on their staff) Was it someone trying to undermine Roberts? Don't know, personally I could care less what their motives were, they were wrong to do so. Personally on it's merits Roe was bad law IMHO whether one agrees with the outcome of it, the ruling was piss poor legally and overturning it is the right course of action, in my eyes.

Eh.. I see it as one and the same, knowing WHO leaked it will help identify the why, and then you can root out the problem. Was it a right leaning justice trying to force the court to stand firm? Was it Roberts trying to show the folly of the choice? Was it from the left side of the court trying to pressure the issue in their favor? (I also imply someone on their staff) Was it someone trying to undermine Roberts? Don't know, personally I could care less what their motives were, they were wrong to do so. Personally on it's merits Roe was bad law IMHO whether one agrees with the outcome of it, the ruling was piss poor legally and overturning it is the right course of action, in my eyes.
I disagree, it will only polarize the issue further. It doesn't appear this is a criminal matter so it's unlikely we will never know who nor why. However, it is sad how the SC has been so politized over the last year's. This and Justice Thomas not recusing himself just compound it.....and another American institution bites the dust.

I disagree, it will only polarize the issue further. It doesn't appear this is a criminal matter so it's unlikely we will never know who nor why. However, it is sad how the SC has been so politized over the last year's. This and Justice Thomas not recusing himself just compound it.....and another American institution bites the dust.
Why should he?

And I’ll save some the trouble.

“They don’t know is not an acceptable answer”

What say you then?
They are still investigating ................ and yea they may not know yet or maybe will never know

I don't see the leak as such a big deal. It has no real impact on the country and the judge's know where each one is coming from. It seems like its faded as a news story. GOPPers aren't going on about it anymore.

The Truth About the Leak!

Actually no, the leak is worse. No matter how you feel about the ruling, this will affect all future deliberations and cause dysfunction in the court.
I agree! I think the court being yet another one of our institutions becoming subject to threats and collusion against it, our justices having to be moved to undisclosed locations, protests in front of justice's homes, and everything this kind of corruption leads to - is far worse than any decision reached in a fair way by sitting SCOTUS justices.
The decision, if like the draft, will simply put the abortion topic in the hands of those elected to represent the people (the legislatures) - right where it should be. Abortion opportunities will be plentiful for those who want them. And, in areas where people are feeling uneasy about how easy, available, and late in pregnancy abortions are occurring (areas where voters are NOT comfortable with abortion being okay in 2nd and 3rd trimesters), there will be more restrictions. And all that will be in line with the wishes and voters of a state. That's a good thing!!!!!
Canada is free to deal with abortion in any way they choose to and place importance on whatever aspect of that decision making they want to. Canada's policies are up to Canadians. And U.S. policies certainly aren't up to those from any other countries.

In my eyes as well.

Why do you think they don't care? Gosh, I can't imagine not caring if I were Roberts or another SCOTUS justice.
Yeah, it's almost like Kevin McCarthy not caring that the Capitol was attacked.

And I’ll save some the trouble.

“They don’t know is not an acceptable answer”

What say you then?
Same reason they haven't found the perp who planted pipe bombs on the eve of Jan. 6.

Are you pro-choice?

I agree! I think the court being yet another one of our institutions becoming subject to threats and collusion against it, our justices having to be moved to undisclosed locations, protests in front of justice's homes, and everything this kind of corruption leads to - is far worse than any decision reached in a fair way by sitting SCOTUS justices.
The decision, if like the draft, will simply put the abortion topic in the hands of those elected to represent the people (the legislatures) - right where it should be. Abortion opportunities will be plentiful for those who want them. And, in areas where people are feeling uneasy about how easy, available, and late in pregnancy abortions are occurring (areas where voters are NOT comfortable with abortion being okay in 2nd and 3rd trimesters), there will be more restrictions. And all that will be in line with the wishes and voters of a state. That's a good thing!!!!!
Canada is free to deal with abortion in any way they choose to and place importance on whatever aspect of that decision making they want to. Canada's policies are up to Canadians. And U.S. policies certainly aren't up to those from any other countries.

What do expect, loading it with 3 right-wing ideologies in just 4 years, putting extremists like Alito and Thomas in the driver's set? This kind of thing was sure to happen.

There have been a few theories besides the one I thought the obvious one, which posters have written about. Some of them, like yours, seem possible.

What I sure noticed, though, was how strongly the left wanted to immediately NOT have any mention or discussion of the very shocking and almost unprecedented SCOTUS leak. Talking about the potential decision certainly makes sense but that doesn't mean the fact of the leak shouldn't be discussed. The leak was a very big deal - and there was a dramatic desire from the left to not address it. We have solid examples of that aversion, right here on DP.
Other than right here on DP, can you provide some examples of the left expressing a desire to not address it? Has anyone of note on the left expressed that desire distinctly, or do you just "gather" that from your study of the matter.

It seems it's become the hobby horse of the right to once again play victim of the awful media.

The Times reports, "The leak of a draft opinion has done irreparable damage to the Supreme Court, Justice Clarence Thomas said at a conference in Dallas on Friday night, adding that it had destroyed trust among its members."
Clarence is upset because impoverished black women will suffer the most due his position. Because of his decision to support overturning Roe vs. Wade, poor black women not only will suffer more, but many will die. Reversing Roe will not end abortions, but reversing Roe will end legal abortions by trained caregivers in Republican controlled states.

Clarence is turning on his own, and he knows it. Forcing his religious beliefs on others will prove deadly.

"But the Supreme Court will not be bullied," Justice Clarence Thomas.

The same might be said for Amy.

Anyone watching the news knows women are clamoring for women's right to chose. Taking into account the many circumstances of a pregnancy, cause, age of woman, financial factors, health of the fetus, health of the mother, women across the country, in consultation with their doctor, should have the inalienable right to make their own health decisions.

But Amy disagrees. She supports overturning Roe. Amy supports taking the decision away from the woman and putting it in the hands of government.

There is another issue.

If this extremely obvious right is being pulled from Americans and placed in the hands of government, what freedoms will be next?

Republicans remain silent on the issue. They don't want to talk about it although they have been fighting for decades to get Roe overturned.

I don't think the left knew which side leaked it but I sure felt the most obvious theory was someone (like a clerk for a liberal justice) leaked it to try to influence/change what they felt or knew was a "done deal" outcome - and an outcome which they hated.
The reaction of the left to immediately plunge into - the identity of the leaker doesn't matter - led me to sure guess the majority of the left had the same "most obvious" (to me) theory. Clearly, they couldn't admit to having that same theory because, in pairing that with their "it's unimportant, move on" reaction, it would be clear they were just fine with all the nefarious, unethical, threatening things their side is increasingly doing.
Thank you. You are proving my point.

You know what’s funny? Republicans have been trying for decades to get Roe vs Wade overturned. Finally, a Republican President is able to appoint three conservative judges to the Supreme Court who will overturn Roe, and Republican refuse to talk about it.

They talk about nasty liberals springing the leak of decision draft. They talk about the failure of the doomed Democratic abortion bill, but not the consequences of Roe being overturned, something they have been trying to achieve for years.

That is quite strange. Why are they doing that?

We will never know. Republicans do not talk about what their party is doing or not doing, but the love talking about the left and Biden is their whipping boy.

Nevertheless, they are expected to win control of Congress in November.

Go figure

They are still investigating ................ and yea they may not know yet or maybe will never know
I got a problem with that.

Thank you. You are proving my point.

You know what’s funny? Republicans have been trying for decades to get Roe vs Wade overturned. Finally, a Republican President is able to appoint three conservative judges to the Supreme Court who will overturn Roe, and Republican refuse to talk about it.

They talk about nasty liberals springing the leak of decision draft. They talk about the failure of the doomed Democratic abortion bill, but not the consequences of Roe being overturned, something they have been trying to achieve for years.

That is quite strange. Why are they doing that?

We will never know. Republicans do not talk about what their party is doing or not doing, but the love talking about the left and Biden is their whipping boy.

Nevertheless, they are expected to win control of Congress in November.

Go figure
That sounds so racist.

Because justice must not just be fair it must be perceived to be fair.
If it is unfair because you don't like the outcome that is your bias projected. "The only fair justice is the one that rules as I see is just"... is the argument of one unable to accept others can reach a different conclusion honestly.

Turley disagrees.

They'll be questioned. If they lie and are caught.....it will be a criminal matter.

Back
Top Bottom