• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Why governments need tougher divorce laws

Masterhawk

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
This sounds like a very ultra conservative thing to say but the government needs to be stricter on divorces. The reason for this is because it is a huge contributor to poverty and juvenile (and later adult) crimes. Divorce contributes to poverty and juvenile delinquency because it is often up to single mothers to work and parent their kid(s). It's often difficult for parents to do their job as parents if they're too busy fighting. As noted by the below statistics, black couples have the highest rate on divorces; this is part of the reason why blacks on average are poorer than whites and even most minorities. This is also why asian kids tend to be smarter than other races (they're the lowest). Most abduction perpetrators are parents who lose custody.

Divorce statistics here: https://divorcescience.org/2012/06/29/351/

A good solution is to create a longer process for couples with kids under 18 to go through wanting to get a divorce and make it stricter. A good reason will be needed for a divorce (such as abusiveness on one part of the parent and/or contributing to the deliquncy of the child); financial reasons will be denied. If a childless couple wants a divorce then it should be as quick and simple as nevada's. Adoption centers should make the process more simple for law abiding couples with children and more strict for single wannabe parents.

P.S. I wasn't sure where to put this thread so I just put it here

This sounds like a very ultra conservative thing to say but the government needs to be stricter on divorces. The reason for this is because it is a huge contributor to poverty and juvenile (and later adult) crimes. Divorce contributes to poverty and juvenile delinquency because it is often up to single mothers to work and parent their kid(s). It's often difficult for parents to do their job as parents if they're too busy fighting. As noted by the below statistics, black couples have the highest rate on divorces; this is part of the reason why blacks on average are poorer than whites and even most minorities. This is also why asian kids tend to be smarter than other races (they're the lowest). Most abduction perpetrators are parents who lose custody.

A good solution is to create a longer process for couples with kids under 18 to go through wanting to get a divorce and make it stricter. A good reason will be needed for a divorce (such as abusiveness on one part of the parent and/or contributing to the deliquncy of the child); financial reasons will be denied. If a childless couple wants a divorce then it should be as quick and simple as nevada's. Adoption centers should make the process more simple for law abiding couples with children and more strict for single wannabe parents.

Forcing people that hate each other to stay married is not a great idea.

It's often difficult for parents to do their job as parents if they're too busy fighting.

If that's true, wouldn't it be better for the parents to get divorced rather than stay together and fight all the time?

So the poor are forced to stay with someone they hate?
Wouldn't those with the money and means just travel to somewhere where the divorce laws are more lax?

It should be harder to get married and easier to get divorced.

If that's true, wouldn't it be better for the parents to get divorced rather than stay together and fight all the time?

Marriage councellors should do a better job of helping parenting couples get along

Marriage councellors should do a better job of helping parenting couples get along

I think you're asking for a bit much. There's only so much a counselor can do when marriages get to a certain point.

It should be harder to get married and easier to get divorced.

I guess you do have a point with making marriages a longer process but on the other hand, the most common reason for divorce is financial reasons; this is not a legitimate reason to divorce.

Wouldn't those with the money and means just travel to somewhere where the divorce laws are more lax?
As was the norm in decades passed.

N.B. Mexican celebrity divorces

How about making it harder to get married to start with. With drive through "Chapels'o'Love..."

How would that affect anything? Divorce, like marriage, is just paperwork. What matters is the relationship. Even if you make divorce impossible people will still breakup and live separately from each other and move on with their lives apart from one another.

But you see, the rich tend to be able to support their children much better than the poor can when a divorce is going on. Plus like I said, financial reasons are the most common reason for a divorce, at least in america.

But you see, the rich tend to be able to support their children much better than the poor can when a divorce is going on. Plus like I said, financial reasons are the most common reason for a divorce, at least in america.

So in other words,only the rich can get divorced according to your scenario.
That just doesn't seem fair.

How would that affect anything? Divorce, like marriage, is just paperwork. What matters is the relationship. Even if you make divorce impossible people will still breakup and live separately from each other and move on with their lives apart from one another.

Heard of "forced-birthers"?
Now you are seeing the rise of "forced marriagers".

putting tighter restrictions on divorce would heavily reduce crime, increase family income, and make teens less likely to turn to drugs and booze and then end up in a broken relationship themselves

putting tighter restrictions on divorce would heavily reduce crime, increase family income, and make teens less likely to turn to drugs and booze and then end up in a broken relationship themselves

Making thinking up and pushing them as fact doesn't make them true.

Marriage ia a contract, period. Theres no reason to make that contract harder to end than any other contract of its nature.

If finance, crime, jobs, child welfare are areas of concern then work on those areas. Making divorce hard is not the answer and is never anything i would support and could probably easily be argued as a rights violation. Logically what it would probably do is make less people actually get married. No thanks, thats completely illogical.

So in other words,only the rich can get divorced according to your scenario.
That just doesn't seem fair.

Well, I wouldn't put it that way, I'm just saying that children are more likely to turn to crime when their parents divorce and they are poor than if they're rich

Marriage rates are already declining because of divorce laws and you want to make them even tougher? That's stupid.

Last edited:

While the statics clearly show that children brought up in single parent homes are far more likely not to succeed and have a laundry list of problems as adults, the government can not legislate marital choices.

In my opinion, it's the government that's mainly responsible for the break up of the family unit in the first place and no amount of legislation is ever going to fix it.

You have no actual evidence for this. This is not really a conclusion you can draw from the info you have. In fact what is most likely to happen is fewer people would get married to begin with and out of those who do, they would simply separate. You can't force someone to live with another person.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, I wouldn't put it that way, I'm just saying that children are more likely to turn to crime when their parents divorce and they are poor than if they're rich

Because a) divorce usually means one or both parents have issues with the relationship, indicating other problems, and b) money can open up more positive opportunities as well as not having money can cause some negative feelings to develop, especially if children are not taught what should be important to them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For the sake of children, being those who cannot make their own decisions as to who will be their parents but yet suffer the consequences of poor decision making, i would agree that we do need to start working on solutions to having better family units as a nation.

Whether people like it or not, once you have conceived children you have, and should have, more legal responsibility towards those creations than are currently in place. The institution of marriage should be encouraged and reconstituted to make it stronger as the basic building block of any society, stronger if you want a strong, prosperous and sane society.

Fidelity in marriage should be encouraged and out of wedlock birth heavily discouraged to alleviate the pain and suffering caused to innocent children. Choices initially, on relationships and marriages should be open/free with incentives for right choices [ long term compatibly vs just a hook up for fun ] and consequences for poor choices borne by those making the bad decisions.

Seems with the coming of the pill and much better performing contraceptives we have created an allowance to make really bad decisions about what was a very important decision, perhaps the most important decision two individuals could make, that being with whom you will choose to create a family. Add the fact that we have denigrated marriage in multiple ways since, making it almost a dark shadow, a shell of its former self.

In the wake of the stark rapidity, the cumulative gaining velocity of technology we often are left far behind the eight ball on seeing/dealing with the consequences. Even when seeing them it is hard to reform ourselves, self discipline requiring hard choices and very few of us really wanting to take any but the path of least resistance and, generally, choose the path to more momentary pleasure. Its the old rat with access to the cocaine button, a rat will often elect pleasure over survival.

Yes, those early experiments with rats now show that it is more complicated than that, but this is a problem we should be working on more diligently.

Rat Park drug experiment cartoon ? Stuart McMillen comics

Last edited:

And forcing two parents who hate each other and are constantly at each other's throats is going to magically make everything better?
Having kids watch their parents tear at each other while they are growing up because their parents can't get divorced is supposed to be better for these kids?
I see a lot of therapists getting rich off these kids when they grow up.

How about fixing the problems that cause divorce in the first place,instead of just placing a band-aid on a gaping chest wound?

All you're going to do is reduce marriage, period. You won't be able to stop people from breaking up if they want to break up. If you make divorce too difficult, people just won't get married in the first place.

All you're going to do is reduce marriage, period. You won't be able to stop people from breaking up if they want to break up. If you make divorce too difficult, people just won't get married in the first place.

at least they won't be ignoring kids who turn to crime

Back
Top Bottom