• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

"Why don't they just perish from this World?" - Rabbi Yosef

There have been endless threads about the extreme utterances of Moslem/Islamist/Palestinian/Arab religious figures. No one is ignoring one while over-emphasising the other.

Really? Funny...I cant find a single one condemning palestinians for their hatred and intolerance towards Jews. Can you steer me in that direction? My computer must be filtering them out...

Of course...its easy to understand why...the Palestian terror attacks occur daily. The hate filled demonstartions, the death to israel comments...those are pretty routine (even on our own college campuses). So...daily becomes routine...monotonous...

Could you please refer us to all the threads you have started denouncing such?

TIA

Just a guess...but Id put money on 'no'.

Could you please refer us to all the threads you have started denouncing such?

TIA

I start very few threads. This one struck me as interesting because of the Rabbi's timing of his sermon and because I happened on the story while reading Haaretz.

If you are attempting to make a partisan point that I am stirring up hatred against Israel in this thread, you might like to read all of my posts and tell me which are critical of Israel. Then perhaps you'd engage the subject and not turn the thread into another partisan rant. I just tried to prevent Bub from doing the same.

Last edited:
I start very few threads. This one struck me as interesting because of the Rabbi's timing of his sermon and because I happened on the story while reading Haaretz.

If you are attempting to make a partisan point that I am stirring up hatred against Israel in this thread, you might like to read all of my posts and tell me which are critical of Israel. Then perhaps you'd engage the subject and not turn the thread into another partisan rant. I just tried to prevent Bub from doing the same.

THere has been a general concensus that the guy's a dick, and I share in that attitude.

Now, please display your comments denouncing Palestinian state television which grooms children to be mass murderers, the Hamas charter that says to kill Jews until they hide behind rocks and trees, the popularity of Mein Kampf as a bestseller, the majority of Palestinians voting for a known terrorist organization, or any manifestation of attitudes displayed from the Palestinian side which are magnitudes greater in terms of pure hatred.

Again, thanks in advance for referring us to your own statements in this regard.

Rabbi Yosef is a hardliner who does not speak for Israel's government. His remarks have no bearing on official policy of Israel's government.

Rabbi Yosef is a hardliner who does not speak for Israel's government. His remarks have no bearing on official policy of Israel's government.

If he speaks as a leader of one of the government coalition partners, it may have a bearing on policy.

Moving the debate on a little, which strands of opinion on each side do people believe might agitate in order to derail the negotiations? Clearly Hamas must be a chief suspect, and, given the Rabbi's sermon, so might Shas. Are there strands of opinion within Fatah who might see more capital to be gained from sabotaging talks than by participating? Similarly, are there other forces within the Israeli coalition (Yisrael Beteinu perhaps?) who might restrict Netanyahu's negotiating position to the extent that any agreement would be impossible to achieve.

I guess what I would really like to know is, what room for manoeuvre will the negotiating parties in the forthcoming negotiations have due to the pre-conceptions and no-go-zones imposed upon each side by their supporters and domestic critics? I only wish each side can arrive at the table with a sufficiently open agenda that allows some headway to be made towards an improvement in Palestinian-Israeli relations.

There have been endless threads about the extreme utterances of Moslem/Islamist/Palestinian/Arab religious figures. No one is ignoring one while over-emphasising the other.

His party's only agenda is getting budget to their institutes. Shas is a party that doesn't really have an agenda regarding the conflict, their Knesset memebers are more right wing in their opinion but how right they are is determined by the amount of money they got out of the goverment. For example - Shas wants a bigger budget to Yeshivas, they start threatning to leave the goverment because of something like - "we object the freeze of building in settlments", Shas gets more budget to Yeshivas, Shas suddenly doesn't give a damn about building freeze....

His party's only agenda is getting budget to their institutes. Shas is a party that doesn't really have an agenda regarding the conflict, their Knesset memebers are more right wing in their opinion but how right they are is determined by the amount of money they got out of the goverment. For example - Shas wants a bigger budget to Yeshivas, they start threatning to leave the goverment because of something like - "we object the freeze of building in settlments", Shas gets more budget to Yeshivas, Shas suddenly doesn't give a damn about building freeze....

Interesting, so you're saying they can be bought off and don't really operate on a wider politicial agenda beyond their concerns about their domestic agenda?

Interesting, so you're saying they can be bought off and don't really operate on a wider politicial agenda beyond their concerns about their domestic agenda?

WHy not...thats how the CIA and Shah maintained order in Iran...paying off Imams...bribing them to curb their rhetoric. of course option two would have been more severe...

Id bet it was being employed in Afghanistan as well...

"All these evil people should perish from this world ... God should strike them with a plague, them and these Palestinians," said Rabbi Ovadia Yosef during his Shabbat sermon last week.

Are these the words of someone trying to derail peace negaotiations before they even get under way?

Or are they the genocidal thoughts of a race hater?

Perhaps they are just the ramblings of a deluded (but powerful) old man, but at this time, in this inflamatory language, can we see the reflection of the attitudes of a section of the Israeli government?

How should the rest of the World view these statements?

U.S.: Rabbi's 'offensive' remarks harm peace efforts - Haaretz Daily Newspaper | Israel News

The rest of the world should view these statements like they view those of Dumbass Jerry Falwell and Pat Robertson.

The ignorant ramblings of a delusional old man.

The rest of the world should view these statements like they view those of Dumbass Jerry Falwell and Pat Robertson.

The ignorant ramblings of a delusional old man.

Decent enough analogy. Neither had their hands directly on the levers of power but both were hugely influential in setting a political and 'moral' agenda for their followers, and the politicians who wished to exploit the support of those followers. Do you think that this may be what's going on here?

Decent enough analogy. Neither had their hands directly on the levers of power but both were hugely influential in setting a political and 'moral' agenda for their followers, and the politicians who wished to exploit the support of those followers. Do you think that this may be what's going on here?

I don't know enough about Israeli politics to answer that question.

Let me do like many others do, let me ask <insert political pundit here> and I'll get back to you on that.

I don't know enough about Israeli politics to answer that question.

Me neither, that's why I'm asking the question. I genuinely hope the guy is as marginal as a few other posters are insisting, because then the negotiations might have a chance of getting somewhere...Hamas, and Fatah factions and YB, and regional powers, and US domestic influences permitting, of course.

exactly .

Back
Top Bottom