• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Why Donald Trump will soon be indicted

Allan

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
Andrew Napolitano is a Fox News commentator and retired judge. Writing in the Washington Times he feels that Trump will soon be indicted and lays out the reasons for his opinion.

Even a cursory review of the redacted version of the affidavit submitted in support of the government’s application for a search warrant at the home of former President Donald Trump reveals that he will soon be indicted by a federal grand jury for three crimes: Removing and concealing national defense information (NDI), giving NDI to those not legally entitled to possess it, and obstruction of justice by failing to return NDI to those who are legally entitled to retrieve it.

He touches on the 'declassified' defence.

It is irrelevant if the documents were declassified, as the feds will charge crimes that do not require proof of classification. They told the federal judge who signed the search warrant that Mr. Trump still had NDI in his home. It appears they were correct.

Napolitano feels Trump made a huge legal blunder when he used the 'declassified' defence.

Yet, misreading and underestimating the feds, Mr. Trump actually did them a favor. One of the elements that they must prove for any of the three crimes is that Mr. Trump knew that he had the documents. The favor he did was admit to that when he boasted that they were no longer classified.

Rest of the opinion

The full opinion is worth reading. It lays out in dispassionate detail the legal peril Trump is facing.

I am still of the same opinion on this, I question the will of the DOJ to really follow through on this. (BTW, I do feel he should face an indictment largely agreeing with the opinion.)

His base will see Donald on a crucifix with the Roman soldier piercing his side. He will be seen as a martyr and Messiah, and they will be awaiting his return as savior.

I am still of the same opinion on this, I question the will of the DOJ to really follow through on this.
I expect that the Attorney General will follow the law on this, "without fear or favour" as he's previously stated.

Trump's safest move might be to declare his intention to run again in 2024. That would trigger a 'hold' as the Justice Department won't charge him prior to the election.

I expect that the Attorney General will follow the law on this, "without fear or favour" as he's previously stated.

Trump's safest move might be to declare his intention to run again in 2024. That would trigger a 'hold' as the Justice Department won't charge him prior to the election.

I thought the same, time may get very short on doing this if they do.

The Attorney General is a politician just as Trump and Biden are. He will not indict Trump as democrats need him in 2024 as the foil to run against.

I thought the same, time may get very short on doing this if they do.
Yes he'd have to announce soon. Unfortunately he's strategically inept and seems to have trouble getting (or adhering to) good legal advice. Mounting a defence on Truth Social is not only useless, it's adding to his legal woes.

I am still of the same opinion on this, I question the will of the DOJ to really follow through on this. (BTW, I do feel he should face an indictment largely agreeing with the opinion.)
they better indict... if they have evidence and do not indict, there is a real problem in DC..

if they do NOT have evidence to indict , then there is another real problem in DC.

Andrew Napolitano is a Fox News commentator and retired judge.
Obviously this person is biased against Trump.

October 2019:

This "judge" thinks someone should be indicted just because there is a preponderance of evidence that he committed a crime? Witch hunt!

Who would even share the opinion of someone like that?

July 2020:

His base will see Donald on a crucifix with the Roman soldier piercing his side. He will be seen as a martyr and Messiah, and they will be awaiting his return as savior.
Well I've heard him and jfk junior will be resurrected together, in two weeks.

The "declassified" defense is the same as the collusion "defense": Neither was ever charged against Trump or anyone in his sphere.
"The lady doth protest too much, methinks" I think.

Andrew Napolitano is a Fox News commentator and retired judge. Writing in the Washington Times he feels that Trump will soon be indicted and lays out the reasons for his opinion.

He touches on the 'declassified' defence.

Napolitano feels Trump made a huge legal blunder when he used the 'declassified' defence.

Rest of the opinion

The full opinion is worth reading. It lays out in dispassionate detail the legal peril Trump is facing.
I find it hard to believe with all the grand jury activity going on in Washington right now, that they are doing it all for nothing. Why in the world would the DOJ put all this effort into investigating him if they don't intend to indict? We've all seen the evidence of his crimes. Even federal judges have indicated he committed crimes. And the 1-6 committee sure spelled out a bunch.

When President Trump is indicted, I hope that Republicans will play it cool.

Avoid any violence and incendiary language. That is exactly what the Dems want so that they can have a clean sweep in November.

I hope that wise Republicans can find an exquisite way to get revenge, a way that is peaceful and legal and that eventually will make the Dems rue the day that they decided to become genuine Fascists.

That's 2 months prior to the election. Still a full 26 months away. Just because someone declares they're running for public office (Even as high as the presidency), can't preclude them from an indictment. If it could, everyone would just run for office.

The second thing here would be this in not a misdemeanor campaign finance crime or some other petty BS that can wait or be swept under the carpet. These are some very serious felonies that no one, even a presumptive nominee, should get away with.

Avoid any violence and incendiary language. That is exactly what the Dems want so that they can have a clean sweep in November.

I hope that wise Republicans can find an exquisite way to get revenge, a way that is peaceful and legal and that eventually will make the Dems rue the day that they decided to become genuine Fascists.
President Trump won't be indicted before the November election. We have entered the DOJ 2-month policy period. All quiet on the indictment front until the election has passed. And besides, the incompetent judge in Florida has put a delay in the investigation. We've already lost at least 2 weeks and more once the special master gets started.

Revenge? Sounds like you take this personally.

Why do you believe investigating solid evidence of felony crimes (Hoarding extremely sensitive stolen documents), is genuine fascist?

What's you're reasoning for believing the rule of law should not apply to The Donald? I can't wait to hear this excuse.

Enforcing laws in a clear and systematic way, isn't fascism.

What happen to the law and order Conservatives? You guys keep hiring crooks and they are so stupid they keep getting caught.
Then you're in the absurd position of defending crooks by calling justice...fascism.

You guys are so lost in your own contradictory nonsense and misinformation.

Oh yeah, cause they played it so cool when his home was searched by the FBI. And they'll be calmer than a Hindu cow when he's arrested.

It's past September 10, the deadline for when the DOJ would have made any investigatory decisions that would impact the election. So it's radio silence (at least from the DOJ) from now until November 10.

There's a caveat, though: Trump is under no obligation to go silent for the next sixty days, so it's uncertain how the DOJ would publicly respond to any claims by Trump that would require response from them.

Yes, the Republican platform is basically just revenge and threats now.

Last edited:
May I point out to the TheParser, that the last time a republican president and all his closest allies were in deep trouble, it was republicans who forced a resignation and also prosecuted, convicted and jailed many of his top cabinet and allies.

Seems to me the biggest reason many republicans can up with for going easy on Trump, is that the opposing party is doing the investigating. Well, someone has to do it, or we lose our democracy.

This really isn't an R v D issue. It's an American National Security issue. Everyone needs to see this for what it is instead of all this partisan BS. There should be no partisan, political or general leniency for a private citizen who stole top secret government documents, refused to give a lot of them back, and then lied to the FBI about it and got caught.

YOu're kidding yourself. When it happens they will absolutely lose their shit. Certain congresscritters and media personalities will be all over the TV, radio, and internets squealing like Ned Beatty in deliverance. I hope they have armed national guard around every state capital as well the Capitol and I ain't talkin' about rubber bullets either.

Back
Top Bottom