• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Why Donald Trump is not a good choice for the presidency

Masterhawk

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Donald trump currently leads the republican primaries. Recently, ted cruz and john kasich suspended their campaigns (they won't appear in debates but they keep delegates). Trump has many ideas which appeal to the american public and sound like a good idea but in reality, they will cause more harm than good. Donald trump wants to build a wall across the mexico border and make mexico pay for it. While it is a good idea to tighten on border security, building a wall is a waste of money and making another country pay for it will likely hurt relations with mexico. Trump's solution to isis is to send ground troops and be less careful in airstrikes. The iraqi government is riddled with corruption and many sunnis (and quite a few shia) dislike it (that's how al queda gained prominence in iraq). The government has not been adequate at mending relations with residents of liberated cities such as hit and ramadi. To make iraq stable, american diplomats need to criticize corruption in the government and the government needs to be credited with the islamic state's defeat, not a stronger, foreign power; otherwise, we're back at square one. Also on the middle east, he wants to block muslims from entering, a violation of the first ammendment of the US constitution which he would be swearing to uphold. Probably the biggest reason why trump won't make a good president is because he wants to implement high tariffs on foreign goods and place heavy restrictions on american companies operating abroad. My recommendation for republicans is to vote for the libertarian candidate because they favor small government and capitalism much like the republicans do.

Donald trump currently leads the republican primaries. Recently, ted cruz and john kasich suspended their campaigns (they won't appear in debates but they keep delegates). Trump has many ideas which appeal to the american public and sound like a good idea but in reality, they will cause more harm than good. Donald trump 1. wants to build a wall across the mexico border and make mexico pay for it. While it is a good idea to tighten on border security, building a wall is a waste of money and making another country pay for it will likely hurt relations with mexico. Trump's solution to isis is 2. to send ground troops and be less careful in airstrikes. The iraqi government is riddled with corruption and many sunnis (and quite a few shia) dislike it (that's how al queda gained prominence in iraq). The government has not been adequate at mending relations with residents of liberated cities such as hit and ramadi. To make iraq stable, american diplomats need to criticize corruption in the government and the government needs to be credited with the islamic state's defeat, not a stronger, foreign power; otherwise, we're back at square one. Also on the middle east, 3. he wants to block muslims from entering, a violation of the first ammendment of the US constitution which he would be swearing to uphold. Probably the biggest reason why trump won't make a good president is because he wants to 4. implement high tariffs on foreign goods and place heavy restrictions on american companies operating abroad. My recommendation for republicans is to vote for the libertarian candidate because they favor small government and capitalism much like the republicans do.

Well lets see:

1. "[W]ants to build a wall across the mexico border and make mexico pay for it."

That's simply bombastic sales talk. He is selling opposition to our current lax immigration and migration policies. He might make an effort to build up some kind of enhanced border monitoring system with symbolic sections of actual wall at high risk entry points, but it is doubtful he will actually build an American version of the Great Wall of China.

2. "end ground troops and be less careful in airstrikes" in the Middle East."

I was a soldier, and soldiers are not supposed to be used as policemen. The job of a military force when called to combat is to defeat the enemy and win a war. War is hell as the saying goes, and with all due respect to the polite rules of society, in combat you do your best to kill and defeat your enemy while trying to harm as few innocent's as possible. Trying being the operative word.

This is why you DON'T USE YOUR MILITARY FORCES until ALL diplomatic means have been exhausted.

3. "[H]e wants to block muslims from entering."

Not quite. He want serious in-depth vetting of all immigrants from muslim countries before allowing them to participate in the immigration process. He wants to prevent refugee migrants from being granted access.

Migrant's are not seeking to integrate into a new society. They are running away and seeking to transplant their entire culture to a new location. This is being amply demonstrated in the European Union today. Every time migrations happened throughout history, conflict arose between the migrants and original residents and only one culture survives.

4. "mplement high tariffs on foreign goods and place heavy restrictions on american companies operating abroad."

Perhaps he should, because part of the problem with our current economy is that we are drifting away from a production to a service and consumer economy. This because of a number of trade laws passed in favor of corporate overseas development which allows "American" corporations to use sweat-shop labor, in unsafe factory conditions, at pennies an hour, in order to sell products for massive profits here in the USA. Meanwhile undercutting our middle class and allowing the growing gap between the teeming masses and the very, VERY rich minority who have profited by this change.

Corporations should be penalized for using all the advantages of incorporating as an "American" company while conducting business as if a foreign entity. Tariffs, taxes, and restrictions are a good response to rapacious capitalism demonstrated by these so-called "American" corporations.

Last edited:
Why would anyone want to build a wall across a border? Along one, maybe.

Well lets see:

1. "[W]ants to build a wall across the mexico border and make mexico pay for it."

That's simply bombastic sales talk. He is selling opposition to our current lax immigration and migration policies. He might make an effort to build up some kind of enhanced border monitoring system with symbolic sections of actual wall at high risk entry points, but it is doubtful he will actually build an American version of the Great Wall of China.

Nope its actually one of his 7 policy positions listed on his website

https://www.donaldjtrump.com/positions/pay-for-the-wall

...and how many other Presidents had a list of campaign policy positions which never actually came to fruition once elected? :roll:

So promising stupid **** is a positive for a candidate because they were probably lying anyways...

So promising stupid **** is a positive for a candidate because they were probably lying anyways...

If that is your position why vote for any candidate? They ALL have a tendency to stretch the truth beyond all credulity on some point or another.

I prefer to call it "fluffing," or "Puffery." You know, like when you go into a fast food place and they have a picture up of a juicy hamburger which turns out to be five times larger and looks ten times better than the actual product you end up with?

That's what he is doing. He wants to take action on all seven things, and knows that making bold statements about them will draw more voters. :shrug:

If that is your position why vote for any candidate?

That was my summation of your position

They ALL have a tendency to stretch the truth beyond all credulity on some point or another.

I prefer to call it "fluffing," or "Puffery." You know, like when you go into a fast food place and they have a picture up of a juicy hamburger which turns out to be five times larger and looks ten times better than the actual product you end up with?

That's what he is doing. He wants to take action on all seven things, and knows that making bold statements about them will draw more voters. :shrug:

Only stupid ones who cant do math about how much the wall would actually cost, ones who dont know anything about international relations that think Mexico will pay for the wall and ones who are so completely ignorant they dont know that most of the illegal immigrants dont cross the border through where the wall would be.

That was my summation of your position

Only stupid ones who cant do math about how much the wall would actually cost, ones who dont know anything about international relations that think Mexico will pay for the wall and ones who are so completely ignorant they dont know that most of the illegal immigrants dont cross the border through where the wall would be.

(sigh) So back to my original point which led us down this road...I don't believe he intends to build an actual "great wall of America." :coffeepap:

(sigh) So back to my original point which led us down this road...I don't believe he intends to build an actual "great wall of America." :coffeepap:

I don't believe he does either not because he just using it as a "fluffy" talking point but because it physically, politically and economically unfeasible.

I am planning to vote for him this fall.
Why ?
The emphasis first should be appealing obamascare.
Before this heath care disaster I was paying $125.00m a month with copay of $15.00.
Now my monthly premium is $475.00 and copay of $75.00.
This is the cheapest rate I got from the Marketplace fiasco.
Soon I will not be able to afford this.
There are a number of issues Trump as touched on which I totally agree.
The last eight years from this dude has economically hurt us.
We need to make America great....sounds good to me.

In my opinion, he is too passionate and that can hurt.

More like unintended/intended consequences for trump and his GOP colleagues up for reelection every time he opens his mouth .

...and how many other Presidents had a list of campaign policy positions which never actually came to fruition once elected? :roll:

So your position is 'yes, he says crazy, outrageous, dangerous things but he's just saying that stuff to get the nomination. He really doesn't mean any of it."

Got it.

He's not a good choice for President because he's a racist, misogynistic demagogue. Other than that he's just great.

So your position is 'yes, he says crazy, outrageous, dangerous things but he's just saying that stuff to get the nomination. He really doesn't mean any of it."

Got it.

Your fallacy of false attribution in an attempt to lead me down a straw man path of argument is a fail.

YOU believe he "says crazy, outrageous, dangerous things." Don't try to attribute your position to me. :no:

Just as you believe this:

He's not a good choice for President because he's a racist, misogynistic demagogue. Other than that he's just great.

It is merely your personal opinion and the personal opinion of some other like-minded Trump opponents.

Does not make it true.

Feel free to vote that opinion.

I'll feel free to vote mine. :coffeepap:

Your fallacy of false attribution in an attempt to lead me down a straw man path of argument is a fail.

YOU believe he "says crazy, outrageous, dangerous things." Don't try to attribute your position to me. :no:

Just as you believe this:

It is merely your personal opinion and the personal opinion of some other like-minded Trump opponents.

Does not make it true.

Feel free to vote that opinion.

I'll feel free to vote mine. :coffeepap:

That he is a racist, misogynistic demagogue isn't even open to debate anymore. It's what makes him so popular among folks like you.

That he is a racist, misogynistic demagogue isn't even open to debate anymore.

If it were not "open to debate anymore," then we would not be debating it. Self-declared certitude does not make it true. :no:

It's what makes him so popular among folks like you.

The likes of me? What "folks like me" would that be pray tell? :confused:

Last edited:
Trump wants to build a wall?

Here in Berlin, we probably still have a couple of experts on building walls he could hire. They have the necessary know-how and could give useful insights. :p

If it were not "open to debate anymore," then we would not be debating it. Self-declared certitude does not make it true. :no:

The likes of me? What "folks like me" would that be pray tell? :confused:

Reasonable people aren't debating it. Only hardcore right wing extremists believe he isn't a racist...no, that's not right. Hard core right wing extremists know he's a racist - they just don't care.

As for 'folks like you', I'm not sure that needs to be spelled out. Your posts speak for themselves.

Trump wants to build a wall?

Here in Berlin, we probably still have a couple of experts on building walls he could hire. They have the necessary know-how and could give useful insights. :p

Well Trump is an admirer of those tough, no nonsense, non-democratic leaders like the Chinese thugs and Putin so he may be calling on them for help in the event he wins the election.

Reasonable people aren't debating it. Only hardcore right wing extremists believe he isn't a racist...no, that's not right. Hard core right wing extremists know he's a racist - they just don't care.

As for 'folks like you', I'm not sure that needs to be spelled out. Your posts speak for themselves.

If its so cut and dried how about you prove his racism right here once and for all. You wont, because they guy is not a racist. Liberals, like yourself, just say it without thinking then pretend it is settled science. It is not. But you liberals do that a lot.

Hmm, "hardcore, right wing extremists" don't support gay rights, pro-choice, unions...

I could go on but anyone who has ever reviewed my post history knows better. My posts do speak for themselves, they just don't say what you allege.

Meanwhile, I have already debunked allegations of his racism in other threads. Perhaps following some of those might help you too. :coffeepap:

If its so cut and dried how about you prove his racism right here once and for all. You wont, because they guy is not a racist. Liberals, like yourself, just say it without thinking then pretend it is settled science. It is not. But you liberals do that a lot.

Actually I'm just quoting Paul Ryan - you know, that liberal Speaker of the House. You fans of Cheetos Jesus just won't admit facts when they're staring you in the face. And Cheetos Jesus is not a name invented by 'liberals'. That comes straight from the right.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...the-political-legacy-of-a-dusty-orange-snack/

Great name for the racist, misogynistic, hate-mongering demagogue, don't you think?

Hmm, "hardcore, right wing extremists" don't support gay rights, pro-choice, unions...

I could go on but anyone who has ever reviewed my post history knows better. My posts do speak for themselves, they just don't say what you allege.

Meanwhile, I have already debunked allegations of his racism in other threads. Perhaps following some of those might help you too. :coffeepap:

You've 'de-bunked' nothing. Merely affirmed your position, which you share with most on the Far Right, that having a blatant racist for your nominee doesn't bother you in the slightest. In fact, you may look upon it as an asset.

Back
Top Bottom