• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Why doesn't Sony do this?

donhughesmusic

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Why doesn't Sont build a TV with a Playstation built into it. TVs anymore only last around 7 years, that's the lifespan generally of a Playstation.

Why doesn't Sont build a TV with a Playstation built into it. TVs anymore only last around 7 years, that's the lifespan generally of a Playstation.
Who wants to buy a new TV every time Sony comes out with an updated console?

TVs don't last as long as they used to... they would be buying a new one anyways, 4k will go by the wayside once 8k or whatever is announced... gamers would clamor for clearer and clearer screens, the TV they own will be outdated or already broken.

Imagine having to send the whole TV in for service...

Given the huge shortages in microchip production globally, I think there is a greater likelihood of a growth in the Game Streaming services, at which point all TV manufacturers would be able to build capability into their smart TVs to stream any number of game services.

Sony will never do this.

But what both Microsoft and Sony will do, guaranteed is have a streaming service built into the TV via app.

Guaranteed, this is standard in 5 years time.

Sony will never do this.

But what both Microsoft and Sony will do, guaranteed is have a streaming service built into the TV via app.

Possibly. The only real issue that widespread Streaming faces is with GPU virtualization. I think so long as they limit end use experience to 1080p and 60hz they could probably do it now if they can sort out GPU sharing, otherwise they'd need to go the old fashion route where every user in a streaming service is bound to an actual physical GPU, which is rather prohibitive for scalability and cost.

If they can actually do that, there are some very interesting options in the future, such as Cloud Game Servers where a game is Entirely housed server side, eliminating the need to client/server data sharing (and all the weirdness that comes with that) and making online games virtually hack-proof.

Possibly. The only real issue that widespread Streaming faces in with GPU virtualization. I think so long as they limit end use experience to 1080p and 60hz they could probably do it now if they can sort out GPU sharing, otherwise they'd need to go the old fashion route where every user in a streaming service is bound to an actual physical GPU, which is rather prohibitive for scalability and cost.

Well, Microsoft is moving forward, Project Xcloud is coming to PC and iOS I think, maybe even tomorrow in a surprise announcement (They have an event tomorrow and a recent update video on xCloud that said it's coming "sooner than you think").

Apparently the delay on the PC version of xCloud was purely to do with scaling up to 1080p, as the android version was running at 720p.

So yeah, it'll be interesting to see as you say, how they pull off the possibly tens of millions of additional users to this service I Think they could net through that platform expansion.

What TVs are you buying that only last 7 years? Buy better TVs and Sonys, in particular, are one of my favorite TVs and Id be PISSED if they only lasted 7 years

Isn't the technology going the other way, meaning, build a playstation into an iPhone. I thought only us over 40 types still bought televisions.

What TVs are you buying that only last 7 years? Buy better TVs and Sonys, in particular, are one of my favorite TVs and Id be PISSED if they only lasted 7 years

Samsung 42 inch plasma purchased 2009 and still going strong, JVC 32 inch LCD purchased 2011, ran perfect till the dog damaged it seven months ago.
I think Samsung and LG are the good brands to watch these days.

There are many reasons.

A modern console is a significant point source of heat. Packaging is not so trivial particularly in an application that needs to avoid hot spotting across the display surface while prizing the "floating display" aesthetic to the maximum degree that a given price point will allow.

Then there's cost. Very little of a console cost is in enclosures such that you might see a savings. In fact, between thermal challenges, CoG going wonky and packaging / dunnage drawbacks, the integrated product is likely to be more expensive than buying the two products separately. Speaking of cost, the product you describe would require substantially different tooling from the console-free display. So, double the tooling for the same amount of product means... yes, more cost.

Then there are the myriad other reasons... people who upgrade consoles more frequently and don't want to be saddled with old hardware for years... people who upgrade televisions frequently and don't want to be forced into risking their library each time... people with multiple displays in a home who want the flexibility to move their console to the living room or den when people come over. All these folks will shy away from this product.

Lastly, such a product may start to get evaluated against something like that same TV plus an AppleTV. It's not the same thing today, of course, but if I'm Sony I don't want to be doing anything to increase that kind of comparison shopping amongst customers. That is a very dangerous place for the Sony's of the world to be these days.

Playstation already makes a ****load of money selling cheap garbage accessories. Controllers that last a month, cords that last a couple days. If a TV was a Playstation accessory, it would last less than a year.

Well, Microsoft is moving forward, Project Xcloud is coming to PC and iOS I think, maybe even tomorrow in a surprise announcement (They have an event tomorrow and a recent update video on xCloud that said it's coming "sooner than you think").

Apparently the delay on the PC version of xCloud was purely to do with scaling up to 1080p, as the android version was running at 720p.

So yeah, it'll be interesting to see as you say, how they pull off the possibly tens of millions of additional users to this service I Think they could net through that platform expansion.

As someone who works on the back-end cloud hardware, I'm betting that Microsoft has gone the dedicated hardware route rather than the virtualization route, it's kind of their MO.

Samsung 42 inch plasma purchased 2009 and still going strong, JVC 32 inch LCD purchased 2011, ran perfect till the dog damaged it seven months ago.
I work for Rent A Center. Samsung and LG are the only ones that seem to last any length of time.

Right?! . . . .I don't know what TV that dude is getting that makes him think 7 years is the avg/common

Right?! . . . .I don't know what TV that dude is getting that makes him think 7 years is the avg/common

Ummmm, perhaps Vizio or ViewSonic.
We had a 40 inch ViewSonic go kaput in eighteen months, mere days after the warranty ran out.
And it would have been worth the hundred-something or other to fix it (burned out LCD inverter board) except ViewSonic flatly refused to supply replacement inverter boards.

We successfully sued in Small Claims by default judgment and got our money back, and purchased the Samsung we have now.
Funny thing is, we'd had something like five ViewSonic CRT computer monitors between the two of us back then (early 2000's), which led me to believe their TV sets would be marvelous.

(Move-in day 2002)

studiobw1.jpg

Big mistake, I guess.

Ummmm, perhaps Vizio or ViewSonic.
We had a 40 inch ViewSonic go kaput in eighteen months, mere days after the warranty ran out.
And it would have been worth the hundred-something or other to fix it (burned out LCD inverter board) except ViewSonic flatly refused to supply replacement inverter boards.

We successfully sued in Small Claims by default judgment and got our money back, and purchased the Samsung we have now.
Funny thing is, we'd had something like five ViewSonic CRT computer monitors between the two of us back then (early 2000's), which led me to believe their TV sets would be marvelous.

(Move-in day 2002)

View attachment 67324742

Big mistake, I guess.

Hell even the vizos i have are still going I moved them to the weight room and out in the garage over the years and upgraded, I just move them around.

NICE! I still got two CRTs in the attic and I gave my brother my 40inch sony CRT that he uses in his sun porch, its still running strong! it weighs about a much as the empire state building lol . the only thing that sucks about it is no HDMI and now over time, everything is HDMI. no biggie though I bought Sabrent HDMI to Composite converter for it like 6, 7 years ago

Hell even the vizos i have are still going I moved them to the weight room and out in the garage over the years and upgraded, I just move them around.

NICE! I still got two CRTs in the attic and I gave my brother my 40inch sony CRT that he uses in his sun porch, its still running strong! it weighs about a much as the empire state building lol . the only thing that sucks about it is no HDMI and now over time, everything is HDMI. no biggie though I bought Sabrent HDMI to Composite converter for it like 6, 7 years ago

Ooooooo-kay, I guess.
I remember having to tweak those Sony 40 inch CRT sets, and yeah, they're about 250 lbs plus at least.
HDMI to composite?
Why? 🤣

I bin-chunked every CRT I had as soon as I could.

Ooooooo-kay, I guess.
I remember having to tweak those Sony 40 inch CRT sets, and yeah, they're about 250 lbs plus at least.
HDMI to composite?
Why? 🤣

I bin-chunked every CRT I had as soon as I could.
so i could hook up a DVD player to it lol

this one was kinda sentimental . . i bought it for my mom and dad, it was kind of my first big boy purchase for them in 2002, it cost 1800$ . . so thats why i kept it, knowing my brother "the cave man" he'll probably keep it till it dies

As someone who works on the back-end cloud hardware, I'm betting that Microsoft has gone the dedicated hardware route rather than the virtualization route, it's kind of their MO.

I did a little research and confirmed that the XCloud is in fact racks of standalone XBox One S that Microstbuilt in 1U rackmount form factors. It's still pretty cool that the back end storage in cloud, allowing a user to connect to any of those XBox One S oxes and maintain their storage, but the actual gaming hardware isn't virtualized.

Once the hardware can be shared I think that cloud gaming will really explode. A standard end user PC could run a bazillion instance of Path of Exile, for instance, but in current Cloud Gaming format a single instance of POE would reserve all of the resources of a single PC, wasting most of the system's resources. This could, in theory, be mitigated somewhat by establishing a tiered service that drops low-resource games on low resource boxes, but it would still be mostly inefficient.

Nvidia Titans can, if I recall, distribute GPU resources between virtual machines, the issue there being that the Titan cost makes it prohibitive as a platform for reasonably priced cloud gaming.

I did a little research and confirmed that the XCloud is in fact racks of standalone XBox One S that Microstbuilt in 1U rackmount form factors. It's still pretty cool that the back end storage in cloud, allowing a user to connect to any of those XBox One S oxes and maintain their storage, but the actual gaming hardware isn't virtualized.

Once the hardware can be shared I think that cloud gaming will really explode. A standard end user PC could run a bazillion instance of Path of Exile, for instance, but in current Cloud Gaming format a single instance of POE would reserve all of the resources of a single PC, wasting most of the system's resources. This could, in theory, be mitigated somewhat by establishing a tiered service that drops low-resource games on low resource boxes, but it would still be mostly inefficient.

Nvidia Titans can, if I recall, distribute GPU resources between virtual machines, the issue there being that the Titan cost makes it prohibitive as a platform for reasonably priced cloud gaming.

Thanks for the info, that's all pretty interesting stuff.

Sony will never do this.

They already did it.

Isn't the technology going the other way, meaning, build a playstation into an iPhone. I thought only us over 40 types still bought televisions.
That would be really bad. Iphones dont really give you a big enough screen. Playstation 1 games however are making it on the iphone.

Playstation already makes a ****load of money selling cheap garbage accessories. Controllers that last a month, cords that last a couple days. If a TV was a Playstation accessory, it would last less than a year.
Weird, my PS 2 controller still works and my PS 2 itself still works. The PS move was a gimmick though and didnt work as well as the Wii.

Weird, my PS 2 controller still works and my PS 2 itself still works. The PS move was a gimmick though and didnt work as well as the Wii.

I'm not a rager. I keep perspective. Maybe I'm a little tough on a controller because my small device training is firearms before controllers, but still... they drift after a week and become unusable after a handful of months. Granted, my Covid playtime is pretty stupid but we can calculate in hours and it's still absurd. I paid $250 for my ps4 but I pay $60 every 4 months for a new controller. And the PS4 charge cords? They last a week. Just buy generic.

Back
Top Bottom