• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Why doesn't God Protect us from disasters and terrorist attacks?

this is off the topic, read the story of Job. he allowed for Job to go through persecution much worse than many people have to deal with. why did God allow for Job's children to die? for his land and wealth to be taken? all these things happened to Job, yet he still said, "the Lord giveth, he taketh away. Blessed be the name of the Lord!"

dthmstr254 said:
this is off the topic, read the story of Job. he allowed for Job to go through persecution much worse than many people have to deal with. why did God allow for Job's children to die? for his land and wealth to be taken? all these things happened to Job, yet he still said, "the Lord giveth, he taketh away. Blessed be the name of the Lord!"

And for his faith and loyalty he was rewarded with even more wisdom and wealth than he had to begin with.

Well, trying to get back on topic... I believe that God sent us on earth as a test. To prove our loyalty to him and to learn. I believe the Bible is true. I believe that we are to listen to and obey what the Bible tells us, and to uphold the morals and principles taught to us in the Bible. God gave us free will. The ability to choose right or wrong without him stopping us. If bad things didn't happen to good people then how would good people be able to learn? They wouldn't know what pain is or what is not good, thus eventually being lead into corruption and immorality. Unfortunately some very evil people choose to do very evil things, killing good people. I believe sometimes God will interfere and change things in nature to help and reward good people.

Getting back to the title of this thread, God does not protect us because he (she, it) does not exist.

Believers always give God credit for anything good that happens and everything bad is blamed on the devil.

If God did exist and he was in control of everything, why would he even allow the existance of the devil?

I'm sick of this site

ravens24 said:
Well, trying to get back on topic... I believe that God sent us on earth as a test. To prove our loyalty to him and to learn. I believe the Bible is true. I believe that we are to listen to and obey what the Bible tells us, and to uphold the morals and principles taught to us in the Bible. God gave us free will. The ability to choose right or wrong without him stopping us. If bad things didn't happen to good people then how would good people be able to learn? They wouldn't know what pain is or what is not good, thus eventually being lead into corruption and immorality. Unfortunately some very evil people choose to do very evil things, killing good people. I believe sometimes God will interfere and change things in nature to help and reward good people.

A kind of divine boot camp? I could agree with that.

Old and wise said:
Getting back to the title of this thread, God does not protect us because he (she, it) does not exist.

Personally, I do not believe “‘God’ does not exist” is the reason not everyone is “protected from disasters and terrorist attacks.” And yes, I do believe some people actually are so protected ...

... and at least in part, I believe both “protected” and “not protected” can be attached to either being or not being in whatever right-or-wrong place on whatever right-or-wrong “path” at whatever right-or-wrong time. For example: Stephen was protected *while* being stoned (Acts 7), and the adulteress was protected *from* being stoned (John 8).

Old and wise said:
Believers always give God credit for anything good that happens and everything bad is blamed on the devil.

First trying to discern good or bad according to whom, I am at least one “believer” who does not do that so categorically.

Old and wise said:
If God did exist and he was in control of everything, why would he even allow the existence of the devil?

If Lucifer was created as an eternal entity (and originally “good”, by the way), then YHWH could not now destroy him without impossibly “going against” (or contradicting) Himself.

Old and wise said:

If God did exist and he was in control of everything, why would he even allow the existance of the devil?
because he promised the angels immortality by making them immortal, and He cannot break His promises. and no the devil doesnt cause every bad thing, God does send trials and hardships on us to test us. when He tests us we WILL come forth as gold. the devil can only do what God lets him do so dont go saying that God cant control the devil, cause He can see all that happens, all the way down to the smallest sparrow that falls out of its nest is seen by God.

Busta said:
Indeed,leejosepho. The fallen Morning Star is serving his purpose.
What is your perspective of the [Revelation of יהושע (Y'Shua) Messiah]?

Just that, and that it is likely happening right under our noses at this very moment!

ravens24 said:
God gave us free will.

Allowing "free will" is actually denying cause/result, of which you have no evidence to back that up. We are a common species and "free will" is far from logical. Further, it is against the law of nature.

ravens24 said:
The ability to choose right or wrong without him stopping us. If bad things didn't happen to good people then how would good people be able to learn?
They wouldn't know what pain is or what is not good, thus eventually being lead into corruption and immorality.

What do you see as "good" people? Even if man started as Adam and Eve (which I deny), how can evil have "grown"? Here you deny the fact that "evil" is not a choice, but a set of circumstances or inherited behavior.

ravens24 said:
Unfortunately some very evil people choose to do very evil things, killing good people. I believe sometimes God will interfere and change things in nature to help and reward good people.

What about those "evil" people? What is your background on psychology/psychiatry?

Aren't our children behaving the way we educate them? Do we not educate our children the way we are educated? It is not so that every change in the environment changes our behavior?

What about frustration? How can you claim that "evil" people have a choice to behave?

1. You have no background information on a person. You are not aware of his education/life experience and inherited behavior.
2. You cannot "feel" what another feels, because if you would, you would have his/her "soul" as well.

I hope you do not misunderstand what my claims. I do disallow "free will" as logic, but not justice & morality.

your response raised a thought in my head. A lot of people aren't evil even though they may do evil things. They may have good intentions and want to do good things but are stuck in habit. Terrosrists are evil because to go to a terror training camp you do not have good intentions. They may think they are doing what is right but killing innocent "infadels" is wrong.I'm trying to think of another example of a different case.. perhaps a man who has been loyal to his wife and loves her with all his heart, but one day for one reason or another..perhaps hes mad or sad...the opputunity to cheat on his wife comes forth and he does it...he has good intentions but he got sucked in...

the evil things in this world prey on us every day...and everyone has a price...stay loyal to God and everything just falls into its place..you will be blessed

this is based on experience folks not ideaology

and thanks busta you da man

Navy Pride said:
I think this tells it all:

In light of the many perversions and jokes we send to one another for a laugh, this is a little different: This is not intended to be a joke, it's not funny, it's intended to get you thinking.

Billy Graham's daughter was interviewed on the Early Show and Jane Clayson asked her "How could God let something like this happen?" (regarding the attacks on Sept. 11).

Anne Graham gave an extremely profound and insightful response. She said, "I believe God is deeply saddened by this, just as we are, but for years we've been telling God to get out of our schools, to get out of our government and to get out of our lives.

And being the gentleman He is, I believe He has calmly backed out. How can we expect God to give us His blessing and His protection if we demand He leave us alone?"

In light of recent events..terrorists attack, school shootings, etc. I think it started when Madeleine Murray O'Hare (she was murdered, her body found recently) complained she didn't want prayer in our schools, and we said OK.

Then someone said you better not read the Bible in school . the Bible says thou shalt not kill, thou shalt not steal, and love your neighbor as yourself. And we said OK.

Then Dr. Benjamin Spock said we shouldn't spank our children when they misbehave because their little personalities would be warped and we might damage their self-esteem (Dr. Spock's son committed suicide). We said an expert should know what he's talking about. And we said OK.

Now we're asking ourselves why our children have no conscience, why they don't know right from wrong, and why it doesn't bother them to kill strangers, their classmates, and themselves.

Probably, if we think about it long and hard enough, we can figure it out. I think it has a great deal to do with "WE REAP WHAT WE SOW."

Funny how simple it is for people to trash God and then wonder why the world's going to hell. Funny how we believe what the newspapers say, but question what the Bible says.

Funny how you can send 'jokes' through e-mail and they spread like wildfire but when you start sending messages regarding the Lord, people think twice about sharing.

Funny how lewd, crude, vulgar and obscene articles pass freely through cyberspace, but public discussion of God is suppressed in the school and workplace.

Are you laughing?

Funny how when you forward this message, you will not send it to many on your address list because you're not sure what they believe, or what they WILL think of you for sending it. Funny how we can be more worried about what other people think of us than what God thinks of us.

Pass it on if you think it has merit. If not then just discard it... no one will know you did. But, if you discard this thought process, don't sit back and complain about what bad shape the world is in
------------------------------------------------------------------

??????????????????????:roll: :roll: :roll: :doh
Now just WHICH GOD are you talking about?

taxpayer said:
------------------------------------------------------------------

??????????????????????:roll: :roll: :roll: :doh
Now just WHICH GOD are you talking about?

I believe he's talking about the "God" of a few madmen, while in their mystical delusions,and while shouting "God is great", crashed planes into buildings on 9/11. O, maybe he's talking about the "God" who spared the victims, O wait, he didn't. Instead 3,000 died. If he is all-powerful, as some people like to make-belive, then why would he need planes to destroy buildings? And why didn't he save the innocent people? O, that's right,because "God" is a dark-ages myth-that's all. "God" simply acts as a human lever for vengence.

kal-el said:
I believe he's talking about the "God" of a few madmen, while in their mystical delusions,and while shouting "God is great", crashed planes into buildings on 9/11. O, maybe he's talking about the "God" who spared the victims, O wait, he didn't. Instead 3,000 died. If he is all-powerful, as some people like to make-belive, then why would he need planes to destroy buildings? And why didn't he save the innocent people? O, that's right,because "God" is a dark-ages myth-that's all. "God" simply acts as a human lever for vengence.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I see! I thought he was talking about the CONs GOD BUSH!!!:mrgreen:

taxpayer said:
I see! I thought he was talking about the CONs GOD BUSH!!!:mrgreen:

Yea, it does seem like Bush "walks on water" as far as the conservatives think, and Bush has a very distorted view of "God". For instance, 3 years ago when he said, "God told me to strike at Saddam", serves as further proof he is a nutjob.

kal-el said:
Yea, it does seem like Bush "walks on water" as far as the conservatives think, and Bush has a very distorted view of "God". For instance, 3 years ago when he said, "God told me to strike at Saddam", serves as further proof he is a nutjob.
you have a source for that???

kal-el said:
you know how many should have been in that tower??? more than 9000 people were supposed to be there at that time. you know what, there are three types of evil: natural, unnatural, and hybrid.
natural evil is evil which we have no choice about. ex: hurricanes, tornadoes and the like.
unnatural evil is evil which we choose to do. ex: lying, stealing, etc.
hybrid evil is evil which effects another man because of one man's choice. ex: war, 9/11, wildfires caused by careless smokers, etc.

people try to say that an all-powerful and all-loving God cannot exist because He has not destroyed evil. well, in Revelations, it prophecies that at the end of the tribulation God will put an end to all evil. they argue that God could have made evil impossible at the beginning. the problem is, that would take away free will. natural evil is caused by the punishment for the first sin, where God cursed the ground because of Adam's sin in the garden of Eden. unnatural and hybrid evil is caused because God gave us free will, and we chose evil over good.

Why doesn't God Protect us from disasters and terrorist attacks?

Because God gave man the power to create and destroy. It's called free will. Man has been proven to be good at both.

God is an absent God. When I die and I face judgement, he will grant me answers, or he will declare me too egotistical for Heaven and send me to Hell to hang out with Allah and his martyrs.

dthmstr254 said:
you have a source for that???

Sure do:

http://www.patridiots.com/000552.html
http://www.counterpunch.org/floyd06302003.html
http://www.commondreams.org/views03/0630-04.htm

Let me know if you disregard my sources, I will be happy to provide you more.:2razz: But, I don't see why I need to provide any, do I really have to prove Bush is delussional?

you know how many should have been in that tower??? more than 9000 people were supposed to be there at that time. you know what, there are three types of evil: natural, unnatural, and hybrid.
natural evil is evil which we have no choice about. ex: hurricanes, tornadoes and the like.
unnatural evil is evil which we choose to do. ex: lying, stealing, etc.
hybrid evil is evil which effects another man because of one man's choice. ex: war, 9/11, wildfires caused by careless smokers, etc.

Ok, so what's your point? Are you gonna say "God" saved 6,000 people? Dude, that is the great danger. A belief in a god who is described as a god of pity and love. Of course, the "holy scriptures" arrtributed to this imaginary man in the clouds, where always written by men, whose meanings were distorted throughout the centuries. If we are talking about the OT, the Koran, the Torah, all these mythological books compiled of there share of fairy stories contains there fair share of elements that encourage hate, intolerance, violence, and barbarity.

people try to say that an all-powerful and all-loving God cannot exist because He has not destroyed evil. well, in Revelations, it prophecies that at the end of the tribulation God will put an end to all evil. they argue that God could have made evil impossible at the beginning. the problem is, that would take away free will. natural evil is caused by the punishment for the first sin, where God cursed the ground because of Adam's sin in the garden of Eden. unnatural and hybrid evil is caused because God gave us free will, and we chose evil over good.

Blah, blah, blah. :lol: You can keep your mythology. You seem to put too much stock in a book always written by man. I think in order to solvent this "terorrism" problem, we need to remove or totally sensor these stupid religious teachings. It is rather dumb to think that these asinine beliefs still hanging around from the dark ages, continues to keep us in its grip of suffering and violence. IMO, we need to prevent religions that incite hatred and violence to continue flourishing. I'm not talking about outlawing religion, since that's part of the human rights. When referring to hatred, certain religious texts are more dangerous than firearms, because they recommend their use to kill the "infildels."

kal-el said:
Sure do:

http://www.patridiots.com/000552.html
http://www.counterpunch.org/floyd06302003.html
http://www.commondreams.org/views03/0630-04.htm

Let me know if you disregard my sources, I will be happy to provide you more.:2razz: But, I don't see why I need to provide any, do I really have to prove Bush is delussional?
the first one has this under the star wars branch, which immediately brings the credibility of it into question, I mean, how can you trust someone who thinks that Star Wars has a political side to some issue???
could you please put a credible news source, such as CNN or Yahoo??? shoot, I even failed to find an archive of that on this or Volconvo, which is really sad, cause I know some liberal would post something like that up.

Ok, so what's your point? Are you gonna say "God" saved 6,000 people? Dude, that is the great danger. A belief in a god who is described as a god of pity and love. Of course, the "holy scriptures" arrtributed to this imaginary man in the clouds, where always written by men, whose meanings were distorted throughout the centuries. If we are talking about the OT, the Koran, the Torah, all these mythological books compiled of there share of fairy stories contains there fair share of elements that encourage hate, intolerance, violence, and barbarity.

and you fail to see the whole picture. yes the Old Testament has a lot of war and mayhem going on, but the entire picture is of a loving and caring God who constantly fulfills His promises.

Blah, blah, blah. :lol: You can keep your mythology. You seem to put too much stock in a book always written by man. I think in order to solvent this "terorrism" problem, we need to remove or totally sensor these stupid religious teachings. It is rather dumb to think that these asinine beliefs still hanging around from the dark ages, continues to keep us in its grip of suffering and violence. IMO, we need to prevent religions that incite hatred and violence to continue flourishing. I'm not talking about outlawing religion, since that's part of the human rights. When referring to hatred, certain religious texts are more dangerous than firearms, because they recommend their use to kill the "infildels."
all I have to say is, "Good luck queen mary of scots, aka bloody mary." remember that throughout history, every attempt to wipe out Christianity has only made it grow even faster? seems kind of backwards, now doesn't it? how come every other religion that has been subjected to such treatment been destroyed while Christianity hasn't? there has to be something other than man behind it.

Why is when something bad happens, its "man is evil and deserved it" or "god works in mysterious ways?' But when something good happens, its "ohh, thank god for that." How spiteful does your god have to be to massacre millions of his believers? Why doesn't he just come down and skip the middle man? I mean, it could potentially save the life of someone in your family. The next time you pray, ask him to stop using earthquakes and floods and tsunamis and what the fck else and just have him tell you what he wants. God being mysterious is killing a lot of people.

6 million from Nazi Germany
12 million from Stalin
10's of million from black plague
half of damn Europe from bubonic plague
Sri Lanka Tsunami
Pakistani earthquake
New Orleans flood

By the your reasoning, all these events are because gods mad at us. Man did something wrong and we are being punished. Think of all the lives that could have been spared if he took a few minutes of his prescious time and sent us an e-mail telling us what he wants. Youd think the Jews would have some insight into this, but they are killed in as large numbers as eery one else. Pat Robertson and everyone in his family is an evangelical nut and I really hope they dont have a dream where god tells them to kill someone cause they would probably do it. Fcking nut jobs.

dthmstr254 said:
the first one has this under the star wars branch, which immediately brings the credibility of it into question, I mean, how can you trust someone who thinks that Star Wars has a political side to some issue???
could you please put a credible news source, such as CNN or Yahoo??? shoot, I even failed to find an archive of that on this or Volconvo, which is really sad, cause I know some liberal would post something like that up.

Dude, does it really mattter this time the source? I mean, c'mon how much could have got lost in translation? He didn't invoke God in his speech or what? Even you have to admit that he refers to himself in epic biblical porportions.:2razz: Anyway, here's a thread on the topic:
http://www.debatepolitics.com/showthread.php?t=4406&highlight=told+strike+saddam

and you fail to see the whole picture. yes the Old Testament has a lot of war and mayhem going on, but the entire picture is of a loving and caring God who constantly fulfills His promises.

I guess the end justifies the means then? Who cares that the OT is a super-sized pornographic, violent novel, right?:lol:

all I have to say is, "Good luck queen mary of scots, aka bloody mary." remember that throughout history, every attempt to wipe out Christianity has only made it grow even faster? seems kind of backwards, now doesn't it? how come every other religion that has been subjected to such treatment been destroyed while Christianity hasn't? there has to be something other than man behind it.

By no means, am I advocating removing all religious teachings. Only those that encourage hate, violence and intolerance. I think that would solvent alot of our problems. For instance, there's no such thing as an atheist terorrist. When you don't beleive in a god or afterlife, you have nothing to die for, hence you strive to make the best out of your 1 and only life here. Bush waged war on the Middle East claiming "God is with us", the hijackers on 9/11 flew planes into buildings shouting, "God is great". See the connection?:2razz:

Back
Top Bottom