• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Why does Washington DC have the highest unhoused people rate?

Antiwar

Green Party progressive
Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Yeah, unhoused is a little clunky, but homeless seems to put the onus on individuals.

This thought came up again in another thread: @trixare4kids

Last edited:
Yeah, unhoused is a little clunky, but homeless seems to put the onus on the individual.

You didn't source your claim. But assuming for the moment that it's true, have you seen the housing prices in the DC area? No wonder they struggle with housing insecurity.

You didn't source your claim. But assuming for the moment that it's true, have you seen the housing prices in the DC area? No wonder they struggle with housing insecurity.

Yes, I'm sure that housing costs are a major reason, but the irony, contradictions, or whatever the better words might be are glaring when the federal government's quasi-state has the highest unhoused people rate.

Probably because it's heavily black with all the legacy effects of racism; and the federal government has a major role governing it with a lot of control by Republicans. They don't have any state level government because of those Republicans. Yup that's equality. Just as we have in US 'territories'.

Why does Washington DC have the highest unhoused people rate?​

Their "unhoused" numbers just got a little bit higher since Governor Abbott just dropped off a bus load of illegal aliens in DC.

Yeah, unhoused is a little clunky, but homeless seems to put the onus on individuals.

This thought came up again in another thread: @trixare4kids
Every capitol city in every country has that country's highest homeless rate.

Older article, but the principles apply at all times:

Why does Washington DC have the highest unhoused people rate?​

Their "unhoused" numbers just got a little bit higher since Governor Abbott just dropped off a bus load of illegal aliens in DC.
Yep, dozens. That'll show 'em!!!

Yes, I'm sure that housing costs are a major reason, but the irony, contradictions, or whatever the better words might be are glaring when the federal government's quasi-state has the highest unhoused people rate.
DC doesn't even break the top 15.

Making them a state would make them something more than a vassal to whoever is in control of the federal government.

Interesting, but no case made.
As far as I know no-one has made a study. However I have travelled extensively (and in many unsavory places) and I can tell you what I've observed. Displaced folks gravitate to the capitol, I would guess because that's where the leaders they hope will save them are.

DC doesn't even break the top 15.

@MaryP

1649888026171.png

Last edited:
2019 < 2022

DC is a city. Comparisons to states is disingenuous.

DC is a district, which arguably should be a state. And/or compare DC to cities.

2019 versus 2022 only matters if the relevant 2022 data exist.

Back
Top Bottom