• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Why Does VP Harris not Return Salutes from Military?

Why would soldiers salute me? I've never been VP
That is not the only time that soldiers/military servicemembers would salute civilians.

A common example is when a family member (or multiple) are given a flag for a lost servicemember. The servicemember salutes after. The family member is not at all expected to salute back.

The military is saluting her out of respect for the office. As a courtesy, VP’s return the salute not because they may have served, but because it’s the right thing to do.
It's not the right thing to do.

Speaking as someone who has never served in the military, I do not know the proper etiquette and form for giving or returning salutes.

I imagine it would look rather awkward and forced if I felt I had to do so.
It would and most civilians would not be able to do it correctly. There is just no real reason to expect the VP or even the President or any other civilian to render or return salutes.

But are they needed?
you figure it out... since you seem to be focused on what you think is needed or not need, vs the principle fact of their existence as being what Is.

40 years of precedent but she’s a trailblazer. She scores points from the kneeled position
40 years of precedent that changed over 200 years of precedent. She's changing it back to what makes sense, civilians not returning salutes.

you figure it out... since you seem to be focused on what you think is needed or not need, vs the principle fact of their existence as being what Is.
It's not that important, I just thought I'd ask.

Name one person by name who claims they personally heard Trump say what you claim.

Nothing about what Joe Biden said was in jest. FACT: He wanted to be applauded - and wasn't. So he ordered them to "applaud" - calling them "slow dull stupid bastards." There was nothing joking about it.

yes, newspapers are normally going to reveal sources around an unstable thin skinned orange man who would take revenge at once.

And other people think it was a joke.

Saluting customs in the military vary a little bit as far as when and where from branch to branch, along with being covered. (hat on or off)

For example... The Navy does not salutes indoors (except for ceremonial) or without being covered. Army and Air Force salute inside and outside?

I scanned and didn't see anyone answer you. Protocols of the Air Force were the same as the Navy. I think it's the same across all branches, but not 100% certain

Let's face it.... We all know what the right-wing has against Harris... it's the same thing they had against Obama and the same thing that drove them to turn out in droves and vote in a racist piece of rancid **** like Donald Trump for President.
Tell me what you think the right wing has against VP Harris. Try not to be predictable.

Personally speaking as a 20 year Army vet, I don't care if VP or even a president doesn't return a salute. I especially don't care if the recipient of the salute doesn't understand the history or meaning of the gesture. I suspect that's the case with our current VP. This is a woman who has compared people who are sworn to defend our borders with the KKK and other domestic terrorist groups. So, why would a solder get worked up over her not returning a salute?

Respecting an office or position does not mean one must automatically respect the office holder. That respect has to be earned.

Saluting customs in the military vary a little bit as far as when and where from branch to branch, along with being covered. (hat on or off)

For example... The Navy does not salutes indoors (except for ceremonial) or without being covered. Army and Air Force salute inside and outside?
In the Army we did not salute in doors unless you were reporting to a commissioned officer or in certain circumstances an NCOIC .

Why? She’s not a soldier. Civilian control of the military is what we have in this country. When Harris joins the military, you may have a point. I don’t salute soldiers either, tho I often thank vets for their service. Do you salute soldiers?
do they salute you?

how about do they salute Biden and Harris?

Interesting how the mentality of demagoguery has always been a detractor to the advancement of Humanity using the great gift of communication, sharing information and embracing understandings to build a cohesive team working society. ...

Damn fine piece of work entirely! Congratulations ... !

do they salute you?

how about do they salute Biden and Harris?
Doesn't matter. Biden and Harris are not in the military, and we got along fine without presidents returning salutes for two centuries before Reagan. This is a non-issue, but so far in the short Biden era, it's all the right seems to have. That, and THE REFUGEES ARE COMING, OH LORDY, THE REFUGEES ARE COMING!!! BIDEN IS FOLLOWING THE LAW AND TREATIES!!! WE'RE DOOMED!!!
Have patience, take heart. Biden will screw some things up, as president's always do, and you will have real issues to attack him on. Meanwhile, feel free to play the salute thing all you want. Yawn.

And none of that changes that they don't need to salute, and that a civilian not saluting is not a sign of disrespect. Hell, I crossed many a quarterdeck without rendering/returning a salute because I was not in uniform, I was in civilian clothing.
As a civilian we stopped- come to attention on the brow and saluted the flag on the stern, or nearest flag in sight on the ship. So it depends. We did not return the salute after asking the QD permission to come aboard.

No, its not. Many military would rather not be saluted by civilians, particularly ones who don't know anything about them or how to render them. It isn't a sign of respect or courtesy. It is a stupid rather recent tradition started by Reagan who seemed to have no clue why civilians shouldn't be rendering or returning salutes.
40 years is not recent.

How many "previous" VPs saluted? Go ahead and give us the percentage out of all the VPs we've had who saluted.
Wow! You're asking the Wrong-Crowd for that answer! Didn't you know that empty one-liner caustic-responses were the "norm" in these forums?

The word "debate" (exchange of cogent arguments) is just a casual addition to an exchange-of-opinion.

Just watch the responses to this one .... !!!!!

The VP is not part of the military.

The president is.

Why is this in "government regulation"?? Is she breaking the law?

This just proves the election was rigged lol....

yes, newspapers are normally going to reveal sources around an unstable thin skinned orange man who would take revenge at once.

And other people think it was a joke.

When Trump said something it was always a joke. Liberals don't have a sense of humor apparently.

40 years of precedent but she’s a trailblazer. She scores points from the kneeled position

40 years out of 245 years isn't much of a precedent when the rabid right loves to obey verbatim what they think the Founders wanted... :rolleyes:

The Founders thought much the rabid right thinks shows 'love of country' and is some sort of allegiance test was UNdemocratic, true warrior Presidents never saluted the Honor Guard, one Hollywood 'warrior' does and suddenly refusing to copy the actor is 'disrespectful' to the troops.... :mad:

As far as kneeling goes, I'd opine the tRump fluffers have raised kneeling to an art form... ✌

Back
Top Bottom