• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Why does Trump command such support?

Your biblical ignorance is stunning.
Not about theology, as you have missed the most rudimentary (that means basic) concepts.

This your perfect opportunity to both illuminate and illustrate.

And you didn't identify any corruption. Most states are run by Trump supporting Republicans.

Sure they do - too many people voted last time and the GOP doesn't like it when there is a large turnout. That hurts GOP candidates. Blacks like to organize voting on Sunday, so GA is proposing to kill early voting on Sundays. That's not a coincidence, they just didn't like it Abrams helped encourage lots of blacks to vote in GA and they now have two Democratic Senators. That was also one of the voting rules changes in NC, where the court found the GOP with 'surgical precision' took aim at any voting rules that made it easier for blacks in that state to vote and reversed them, but the real problem with NC was they were too obvious about it.

So you're proving the point in reverse.

Why are rules that apply equally to EVERYONE thought to be discriminatory?

Trump, just like he learned from Rush Limbaugh, feeds their hatred bigotry and fear.

He gives their racist views voice

He tells them exactly what they want to hear.

Now why evangelicals support him is a little more difficult. Guess it is just because he is not a democrat

In what way and by what words or actions did he do so

Do you have any real world facts or evidence to support your hate or has it now become self perpetuating?
Is you are unable or incapable of seeing Trump's lies and bullshit from the last 4 years, then you need serious help.

This your perfect opportunity to both illuminate and illustrate.
Only to people who understand and comprehend.
That's not you.

Trump, just like he learned from Rush Limbaugh, feeds their hatred bigotry and fear.

Now why evangelicals support him is a little more difficult. Guess it is just because he is not a democrat
>>>Now why evangelicals support him is a little more difficult.<<<

That ones easy too.trump says he's against abortion.
And trump kisses netanyahus fascist yambag.
Thats all that an "evangelical" really needs.

Why are rules that apply equally to EVERYONE thought to be discriminatory?
It depends on the rules.

I didn't claim ending Sunday voting was discriminatory, but that we know why the GOP is doing it, to end a very popular and effective GOTV campaign by blacks.

But if you only allow voting from 10am to 4pm (that's what the hours are in our area for many days of early voting) that objectively discriminates against those who have to work and cannot get off for a few hours to go vote. Doesn't matter that they 'apply equally to everyone.' If you imposed a poll tax of $100 per year, that's discriminatory although applied across the board. And the problem in NC is they asked the question - what are voting patterns by race - then everything used disproportionately by blacks was targeted. If you ask, "what forms of voter ID are predominately used, by race" then leave the ID used by blacks off the list, that's likely discriminatory, although the courts have been a bit inconsistent on that. The courts can and do look at impact of 'facially neutral' voting laws. An example would be those voting hours. Or requiring in person voter registration then making all the available options a car drive away. Or not having any facilities in a county. That's largely what happened in Texas and that law was struck down. Everyone had to use the same offices, but when you force those without cars to use a facility not within walking distance, the impact is discriminatory. About 1/3 of counties had ZERO places to register to vote.

Etc.... Here's one summary.

He has made such colossal mistakes and even worse demanded such physical support from those who wish to follow him, despite his having vilified all branches of society. In particular he seems to gain considerable female support despite having ridiculed them at every opportunity.

If the American population care about how the rest of the world view them, then they would not support Trump.

Furthermore if America really does advocate democracy, have you considered how the rest of the world view the prospects of democracy if America cannot operate it successfully?
It's not unusual for a sitting president to command 90% plus or receive 90% plus from his own party. Trump, Obama, G.W. Bush, Bill Clinton, G.H.W. Bush, Reagan, etc all averaged over 90% from their own party while president. G.W. Bush slipped quite a lot in the last year of his presidency down to just a 71% approval from his party, but his 94% for his first seven years kept his average above 90%. Bill Clinton was the opposite, averaging only 83% approval from his own party for his first two years, but averaged well above 90% for his last six to bring his two term average up to 91%

What's different with Trump is the attachment his supporters still have for him after he left the presidency. But Obama, G.W. Bill Clinton, G.H.W. Reagan all left the presidency and went into oblivion more or less. They didn't just fade away, but basically dropped off the viewing screen completely the day after they left office. With Trump, he's been the headliner on all news from the 21st of Jan on. He hasn't faded, let alone dropped off the screen. He still hogs it.

I think his supporters think the second impeachment was completely wrong and holding a trial in the senate after he become a private citizen was even more wrong. They've circled their wagons around Trump. It's could be a case of Trump, he's family, we'll protect him and destroy his enemies who tried to destroy him for no reason or the only reason they went after him was the R behind his name. He did nothing wrong outside of beating Hillary Clinton which the Democrats couldn't stand. So the democrats went for revenge. Call it a modern day feud.

I do think as long as Trump continues to be headline news, his followers will continue their devotion to him. This has been so weird, Trump has gotten much more news times, much more face time on the news, always the number one story, the headliner, the news has been all about Trump, but very little to nothing on Biden who just happens to be president these days.

Your post is the product of cloudy misunderstandings that seem to ha ve been generated by the propaganda of the day.

It's really very sad.

Is you are unable or incapable of seeing Trump's lies and bullshit from the last 4 years, then you need serious help.

Every politician is full o' crap. That's just the way it is.

Trump made various promises which he fulfilled in the great majority.

He was also bombastic, confident and assertive. Also, turns out he was a very effective leader. The Vaccine being produced in record time was an example of this.

You hate him. I get it. In my experience, when hating begins, thinking stops.

You are a victim of lies and propaganda. In many ways, the example your attitudes define is very sad.

Only to people who understand and comprehend.
That's not you.

As with most Leftists, you hate people that you define as opponents.

You present no ideas, no philosophy and no debate points. All you do and all you are is hate.

This should concern you.

I do think as long as Trump continues to be headline news, his followers will continue their devotion to him. This has been so weird, Trump has gotten much more news times, much more face time on the news, always the number one story, the headliner, the news has been all about Trump, but very little to nothing on Biden who just happens to be president these days.

Good post Perotista.

However Trump supporters need to analyse the news, and decide whether what he is saying or doing is beneficial to the interests of America or the world in general. His supporters invasion of the Senate has adversely coloured the way that the rest of the world view Trump, and the American people in general.

Every politician is full o' crap. That's just the way it is.

Trump made various promises which he fulfilled in the great majority.

He was also bombastic, confident and assertive. Also, turns out he was a very effective leader. The Vaccine being produced in record time was an example of this.

You hate him. I get it. In my experience, when hating begins, thinking stops.

You are a victim of lies and propaganda. In many ways, the example your attitudes define is very sad.
Your delusions are pathetic

As with most Leftists, you hate people that you define as opponents.

You present no ideas, no philosophy and no debate points. All you do and all you are is hate.

This should concern you.
I Address you based upon what you deserve.
It ain't much.

He proclaimed himself a bigot while campaigning, and acted as one when president. Promise kept.
He suggested he would ignore laws and treaty obligations, and did so. Promise kept.
He suggested that US forces should commit war crimes, and pardoned those military that did. Promise kept.

You got me on that one. A complete list would take continuation posting of, perhaps, several pages.

Good post Perotista.

However Trump supporters need to analyse the news, and decide whether what he is saying or doing is beneficial to the interests of America or the world in general. His supporters invasion of the Senate has adversely coloured the way that the rest of the world view Trump, and the American people in general.
I think most of Trump's supporters aren't worried and don't care what he did or whether he's been good or bad for America as a whole. It's become more or less a family feud of us vs. them. They think Trump has been trashed wrongly, that the MSM and Democrats set out to destroy Trump from the day after he won the election in 2016. They may be right about the trying to destroy him the day after the election, Trump received no honeymoon. 90% of Democrats were dead set against Trump from day 1 of his presidency. At least a third of the opposing party were willing to give the previous new presidents a chance. But not Trump. Look at the approval ratings of a new president on 31 Jan of the first year they took office. To be fair about this it looks as if Republicans aren't giving Biden a chance either.

Biden 12% of Republicans
Trump 9% of Democrats
Obama 41% of Republicans
G.W. Bush 32% of Democrats
Bill Clinton 33% of Republicans
G.H.W. Bush 38% of Democrats
Reagan 39% of Democrats
Carter 49% of Republicans

Notice the huge difference for Biden and Trump vs. those presidents who preceded them. Perhaps this is the new norm, automatic opposition and dislike of the new president by the opposing party. Now this doesn't surprise me considering we entered a new political era of polarization, the great divide and mega, ultra high partisanship. An era where each major party views the other party as this nation's number one enemy, more than Russia, China, North Korea, Iran, Terrorist, etc.

Trump will fade, but the hostilities between the two major parties won't. Biden gives us hope, being a senator back when both major parties respected each other and realized the goal of each was for a secure, free and preposterous America. Only the path to get there was a bit different.He'll try to work with Republicans, but I don't think members of his party in congress will let him. In our modern era of today's politics, each party thinks the other is out to destroy America and only they can save her. The problem is all those older elected officials who remember the previous political eras are retiring or gone being replaced by what I call party firsters. The family feud will continue with or without Trump.

He has made such colossal mistakes and even worse demanded such physical support from those who wish to follow him, despite his having vilified all branches of society. In particular he seems to gain considerable female support despite having ridiculed them at every opportunity.

If the American population care about how the rest of the world view them, then they would not support Trump.

Furthermore if America really does advocate democracy, have you considered how the rest of the world view the prospects of democracy if America cannot operate it successfully?

well its unique for many but its a mixture of things but IMO for ever Trump supporter I know including ones in my personal life its always one or more of these things

Ignorance (you didnt know how evil he was, you thought he really would be different, you thought he is a good businessman, you thought he would clean up the swamp, you know nothing about actual government/the country/constitution/rights etc)

Misinformation (you believe his lies and the propaganda)
Blind Tribalism
Stupidity
Bigotry
Racism

Misguided Hope based on various things above

thats it, I've NEVER encountered anything else good, positive or true, if anybody has any suggest them

I wish i did because I want ALL president to succeed he just didnt and its what his legacy will show and why he was one term, had the lowest approval rating of any president ever and will go down as one of the worst

Now why evangelicals support him is a little more difficult. Guess it is just because he is not a democrat.
Good point. Trump believes in freedoms - to worship, to speak, to work, to allow school choice (e.g. Catholic schools) - and to not lock down our country, keep our schools closed, and turn DC into an ominous militarized fort. He's certainly NOT a democrat.

It's not unusual for a sitting president to command 90% plus or receive 90% plus from his own party. Trump, Obama, G.W. Bush, Bill Clinton, G.H.W. Bush, Reagan, etc all averaged over 90% from their own party while president. G.W. Bush slipped quite a lot in the last year of his presidency down to just a 71% approval from his party, but his 94% for his first seven years kept his average above 90%. Bill Clinton was the opposite, averaging only 83% approval from his own party for his first two years, but averaged well above 90% for his last six to bring his two term average up to 91%

What's different with Trump is the attachment his supporters still have for him after he left the presidency. But Obama, G.W. Bill Clinton, G.H.W. Reagan all left the presidency and went into oblivion more or less. They didn't just fade away, but basically dropped off the viewing screen completely the day after they left office. With Trump, he's been the headliner on all news from the 21st of Jan on. He hasn't faded, let alone dropped off the screen. He still hogs it.

I think his supporters think the second impeachment was completely wrong and holding a trial in the senate after he become a private citizen was even more wrong. They've circled their wagons around Trump. It's could be a case of Trump, he's family, we'll protect him and destroy his enemies who tried to destroy him for no reason or the only reason they went after him was the R behind his name. He did nothing wrong outside of beating Hillary Clinton which the Democrats couldn't stand. So the democrats went for revenge. Call it a modern day feud.

Many good points in this comment. Trump has been mostly quiet since he left office. Yet, exactly as you pointed out, he still hogs the screen. His supporters lend to this situation but those opposed to Trump - I think are even more responsible for being attached to anything and everything Trump.
I think Trump has been paying close attention to the interest in him, post presidency. If, like you described with nearly all his predecessors, that oblivion was the scenario with Trump, I don't think he'd consider running again. But based on the very high and very obvious interest he's getting which isn't even starting to fade yet, we'll see what he decides.
Yes, to your comment about the second impeachment!
Then, there is the Biden situation. Now that's just as weird now as it was when he was a candidate/nominee. He's practically non-existent and, frankly, very few want to talk about him. But, his handlers' policy/Dem policy is drawing a great deal of attention and that's what upcoming campaigns will focus on. If Biden is a candidate in 2024, his dementia will receive some talk but the battles in 22 and 24 will be about policy differences more than any campaigns I can remember - because the policy differences have never been so huge.

Many good points in this comment. Trump has been mostly quiet since he left office. Yet, exactly as you pointed out, he still hogs the screen. His supporters lend to this situation but those opposed to Trump - I think are even more responsible for being attached to anything and everything Trump.
I think Trump has been paying close attention to the interest in him, post presidency. If, like you described with nearly all his predecessors, that oblivion was the scenario with Trump, I don't think he'd consider running again. But based on the very high and very obvious interest he's getting which isn't even starting to fade yet, we'll see what he decides.
Yes, to your comment about the second impeachment!
Then, there is the Biden situation. Now that's just as weird now as it was when he was a candidate/nominee. He's practically non-existent and, frankly, very few want to talk about him. But, his handlers' policy/Dem policy is drawing a great deal of attention and that's what upcoming campaigns will focus on. If Biden is a candidate in 2024, his dementia will receive some talk but the battles in 22 and 24 will be about policy differences more than any campaigns I can remember - because the policy differences have never been so huge.
The trial in the senate was one reason Trump was kept before America. Perhaps now that is fading. 2020 in my opinion was all about the dislike of Trump, especially among independents. It's not they liked Biden all that much, but it was the dislike of Trump for numerous reasons, most dealing with Trump's personality and not dealing with his policies. 2020 was an election decided by personalities, not policy.

Yes, Biden stayed hidden for most of the campaign. He didn't have to come out of the basement, he let the dislike of Trump be his campaign. He stayed with what was working. Independents went for Biden 54-41 a turn around from 2016 when Trump won independents over Hillary 46-42 with 12% voting third party against both Trump and Clinton. That a 17 point swing, from plus 4 to minus 13. Likability, 43% of independents like Biden as a person, 34% disliked him. Trump, only 23% of Independents liked him as a person, 61% disliked him as a person and there you have your election results. At least among independents. Trump's personality, his very unpresidential behavior lead to his loss of independents. Policy wise, stances on the issues, independents were fairly split on those, for some, against some, indifferent to others. Had Trump had the personality, the persona of a Reagan, or even a Bill Clinton or Obama, I think he would have won fairly easily.

As for 2022, I think that will be determined by what Biden and the democratic controlled congress does or doesn't do. whether they make independents angry at them ALA 1994 and 2010 or whether independents are satisfied with how Biden and company is governing. That remains to be seen.

As for 2022, I think that will be determined by what Biden and the democratic controlled congress does or doesn't do. whether they make independents angry at them ALA 1994 and 2010 or whether independents are satisfied with how Biden and company is governing. That remains to be seen.
Agreed! It's starting off interestingly too. I'd guess quite a few Independents voted exactly as you described, against Trump. But, I'd also guess many of those voters hoped and expected Biden would be relatively moderate. Some may have hated Trump but rather liked (or certainly didn't mind) a lot of Trump's mainstream conservative policy and potentially thought Trump progress would stay largely intact. (I certainly think Trump's policy was very mainstream conservative and in no way was it the least bit "far right".)
But, there seems to be a big Dem push to do a lot and go really left (and quickly) while they have this chance - mostly an enormous power grab attempt IMO. Citizenship for 11 million immigrants (and that number is likely far higher but no one really knows what the accurate number is), practically wide open borders, catch and release, higher taxes, much bigger government, damaging "marriage" to the teachers' unions at the terrible expense of America's school age children, expensive climate policies, heavy regulations on all sorts of things, very lenient and loose voting rules, etc.. Basically, BOLD leftist policy. I think much of it is meant to "cement" Dems in power (like adding so many new voters likely to require extensive and expensive welfare programs and thus make these new voters big government/Dem voters well into the future). But in the bold and rapid power grab process - will Dems lose many of those Independents and sabotage their very plan by losing badly in 22 and 24 as a result of scaring too many of the very voters they need. Which way this ends up going certainly does remain to be seen!!!!

It depends on the rules.

I didn't claim ending Sunday voting was discriminatory, but that we know why the GOP is doing it, to end a very popular and effective GOTV campaign by blacks.

But if you only allow voting from 10am to 4pm (that's what the hours are in our area for many days of early voting) that objectively discriminates against those who have to work and cannot get off for a few hours to go vote. Doesn't matter that they 'apply equally to everyone.' If you imposed a poll tax of $100 per year, that's discriminatory although applied across the board. And the problem in NC is they asked the question - what are voting patterns by race - then everything used disproportionately by blacks was targeted. If you ask, "what forms of voter ID are predominately used, by race" then leave the ID used by blacks off the list, that's likely discriminatory, although the courts have been a bit inconsistent on that. The courts can and do look at impact of 'facially neutral' voting laws. An example would be those voting hours. Or requiring in person voter registration then making all the available options a car drive away. Or not having any facilities in a county. That's largely what happened in Texas and that law was struck down. Everyone had to use the same offices, but when you force those without cars to use a facility not within walking distance, the impact is discriminatory. About 1/3 of counties had ZERO places to register to vote.

Etc.... Here's one summary.

You seem to be setting up a series of if-then propositions.

In Texas, more people voted in the last election both as a raw number and as a percent of the population in 2020 than in any previous election.

I would think that polls open for 24 hours for ten days would allow everyone ample access and only absentee voting by mail and then only with a notarized signature.

Providing polling places within walking distance outside dense population areas seems excessive. If people live in the country, they have transportation options or they starve to death.

Here in Indianapolis, since 1992, There were, I think, two elections in which my polling place was within a reasonable walking distance. All other elections, I have driven to.

Two elements play in policy and values. Most Republicans can deliver on conservative policy, true conservative policy not right wing populist policy. I believe the Republicans can win back the WH , Senate and House but not with Trumpsters and conspiracy theory whackos, too many Americans are done with that. If they run relatively main stream conservatives , people who deal in policy and not divisiveness nor hateful rehtoric and conspiracy theories they can win. If they decide to go with the Cruz' s, DeSantis, Johnson's and Green's they will lose.

Is it really that simple?

Back
Top Bottom