• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Why does the world allow ISRAEL to "GET AWAY WITH IT" ??

Billo_Really said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Abbas recently get Hamas to agree (in principle) to Israel's right to exist?

They never changed their charter until that happens Hamas is only spouting meaningless words in attempts to get back the foriegn aid.

Last edited:
Billo_Really said:
Then what the hell was Israel doing shooting a missle into a van killing 11 Palestinians (most were children) back on June 14?

Do we have to cover this again, Hamas was launching rockets into Israel ever since the pullout the kidnapping of the soldiers was just the last straw. Oh and who else was in that van or who was the actual target.

blastula said:
They puposely left out the part about the six day war where Israel was defending themselves from the Arab nations and the Arabs lost the war. The terrirories in question were disputed territories and not occupied lands as they claimed. And regarding Israel's invasion of Lebanon they also conveniently left out the reasons Israel invaded Lebanon. I would not trust a site that tell only one sided story, would you?

actually thats nowhere near how the 6 day war went down. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Six-Day_War
Israel started that war.

let me clear this up for you: Israel is the one bombing Lebanon - not Hezbollah. It makes sense that the Lebanesse people wouldnt blame the ONLY ORGANIZATION that even gives a damn about them in this world today, and would blame the people that are actually dropping bombs on their children! How can you not see that?

If Al-Qaeda attacked America after america captured some top leader in Al-Qaeda, and blew the sh it out of all of us and our homes, would you blame America?

and Shayah, i am not trolling off topic - he asked for a history of the middle east since World War 1, and i gave it to him. Of course Israel would like us to believe that the lands were 'unoccupied', but then again we never hear about the speaker-mounted trucks warning people to leave or be killed. And why dont you look at how much land the 1947 agreement so graciously gave the Palestinians.

clone said:
actually thats nowhere near how the 6 day war went down. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Six-Day_War
Israel started that war.

It's always amusing when children try to make assertions as to events that happened 20 years before their birth, and do so in a way that only reveals their monumental bigotry.

Perhaps your bigotry leads you to conclude that the word "began" as in "the war began" is tantamount to saying "started", but if you would actually read the article with even the tiniest degree of comprehension and without your bigoted point of view, you would note that it was Egypt who committed acts of war when they amassed the invasion troops and blocked the shipping lanes and Syria who was sponsering incursions into Israel.

With Nasser boasting that he was going to push Israel into the sea and then amassing a quarter of a million troops for that express purpose, only an extremely unintelligent or extremely biased person would make the claim that it was Israel who started the war.

Originally posted by TOT:
Do we have to cover this again, Hamas was launching rockets into Israel ever since the pullout the kidnapping of the soldiers was just the last straw. Oh and who else was in that van or who was the actual target.
I'm certainly no fan of Hamas, but I still haven't seen any links from you that show the dates of these missle launches.

And in regards to the van, there wasn't anyone (who you were implying) there to justify that attack.

Billo_Really said:
I'm certainly no fan of Hamas, but I still haven't seen any links from you that show the dates of these missle launches.
All you have to do is Google the topic or visit the Israel Ministry of Foreign Affairs web site. From February to June of 2006, over 1500 rockets were fired from Gaza into Israel. Sderot was the recipient of over 100 of these rockets. Now that the IDF occupies the Hamas launch sites in northern Gaza, no more rockets attacks have occured.

Billo_Really said:
And in regards to the van, there wasn't anyone (who you were implying) there to justify that attack.
You are mistaken. Three members of Islamic Jihad were transporting Katyusha rockets in the yellow Volkswagon van.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/06/14/world/middleeast/14mideast.html?ex=1307937600&en=60c6444ad9a600af&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss

Originally posted by Shayah
You are mistaken. Three members of Islamic Jihad were transporting Katyusha rockets in the yellow Volkswagon van.
Just as in the bogus claims Hezbollah was launching missles from behind innocent civilians, what proof can you post, that will show Israeli claims of "...militants in that van", were true?

In the meantime, from that same link you posted...
From your own source:
The account was quickly disputed by officials from Human Rights Watch, who cited contrary evidence from an investigation of their own.

Nicely Done Shayah. :cool:

btw the Humans Rights Watch types . . .

were diputing a claim about an earlier attack on Friday, while the van incident happened on Tuesday.

Last edited:
All you have to do is Google the topic or visit the Israel Ministry of Foreign Affairs web site. From February to June of 2006, over 1500 rockets were fired from Gaza into Israel. Sderot was the recipient of over 100 of these rockets. Now that the IDF occupies the Hamas launch sites in northern Gaza, no more rockets attacks have occured.
And why is that? Although I completely condemn Hamas for each and everyone of those 1500 rockets, I'm not about to excuse Israel for any wrongdoings of their own.

Originally posted by Voidwar:
Nicely Done Shayah
Yes, it was, wasn't it? Are you jealous?

btw the Humans Rights Watch types . . .

were diputing a claim about an earlier attack on Friday, while the van incident happened on Tuesday.
I'm sorry, your going to have to back that up by posting some proof. You've shown me I can't take your word on anything. Unless, of coarse, that word happens to be "dis-information"

clone said:
i am not trolling off topic - he asked for a history of the middle east since World War 1, and i gave it to him.

In my previous post I asked you to research the history of Middle East from the first world war to modern period for your own understanding of who provoked and instigated all these fighting and conflicts. Instead you are quick to dig for biased sources to support your viewpoint.

A good research takes months if not years to uncover the true story and to shift out extreme bias. A better place for research is not the website, but the library where you shift through documented books, and old newspaper archives to get the feel of the situation at that time.

You would be surprised that indeed the world and especially UN was biased against Israel at every turn. Even when several Arabs nations were threatening war against Israel in 1957, the UN instead of keeping peace and preventing war, evacuated their UN Emergency Force stationed on the border between Egypt and Israel and Sharm el-Sheikh which provided an actual separation between the countries. The UN evacuation allowed Egypt to concentrate large-scale forces in the Sinai peninsula up to the border in preparation for their quest to destroy Israel into the sea. Thought you might want to know what UN is good for and how Israel have to fight against their enemies with the world always looking the other way when Israel is being attacked.

You might also want to get to know your Hezbollah’s predecessor the PLO which was kicked out by Jordan for all the troubles they caused and that’s how they ended up in Lebanon where they destabilized the nation and caused a major civil war.

Learn what evils these terrorists did in 1970 when they specifically targeted and murdered 9 Israeli children and 3 adults in Avivin School Bus massacre and the 1974 Kiryat Shmona and Ma'alot High School massacres where the PFLP killed 44 people including many children.

And more… The targeting and killing of 11 Israeli athletes held hostage during the Summer Olympics held in Munich in 1972. The targeting and murder of innocent wheelchair-bound elderly Leon Klinghoffer, who was shot and thrown overboard the cruise ship Achille Lauro which was hijacked by Palestinian terrorists.

Learn also many airplane hijackings and killings of innocent passengers, and many more… too many to be listed. This is what Israel and innocent people all over the world have to deal with. And the terrorist they specifically target innocent civilians. This is where you and I will never see eye to eye unless you see the event with an unbiased open mind. If you are a Muslim, it would be harder for you to see the events with an objective lens.

Last edited:
Billo_Really said:
I'm sorry, your going to have to back that up by posting some proof.

Read the NYT article, the proof is within.
You have mistaken "what" the HRA was disputing.
Once you realize your take on the article was in error, , ,
please ad hominem yourself for me.

Read the NYT article, the proof is within.
You have mistaken "what" the HRA was disputing.
Once you realize your take on the article was in error, , ,
please ad hominem yourself for me.
Prove I took it in error!

Easy enough . . .

Billo_Really said:

Just as in the bogus claims Hezbollah was launching missles from behind innocent civilians, what proof can you post, that will show Israeli claims of "...militants in that van", were true?

From your source: (Shayah's Article)
The account was quickly disputed by officials from Human Rights Watch, who cited contrary evidence from an investigation of their own.

the article . . .

GAZA, June 13 — Eight Palestinian civilians were killed and more than 40 wounded Tuesday by an Israeli missile strike on Islamic militants riding in a van that Israeli officials said was carrying rockets to launch at Israel. Two men in the van were also killed, including a man the Israelis consider an important rocket maker.

The officials said the strike had prevented more of what has been a rising number of Palestinian missile attacks launched from Gaza. But the civilian casualties further inflamed Palestinian rage over eight deaths last week on a beach from what residents said was an errant Israeli shell. Seven of the dead were from one family.

In a news conference in Tel Aviv, Israel's defense minister, Amir Peretz, announced Tuesday that an investigation into the deaths on Friday showed that Israel was not to blame.

"We have enough findings to back up the suspicion that the intention to describe this as an Israeli event is simply not correct," he said, citing films, data on where and when the shells landed, and a piece of shrapnel taken from a victim. "The accumulating evidence proves that this incident was not due to Israeli forces."

In the attack on Tuesday, one missile struck a van and killed two members of Islamic Jihad and apparently wounded a third.

So, in your post, you refer to "Israeli claims of "...militants in that van",
and then follow with an article quote. . . "The account was quickly disputed by officials from Human Rights Watch", but in this article quote, the claim being disputed by HWA is not the van on tuesday, but the responsibility for friday.

Now tear yourself a new one.

So, in your post, you refer to "Israeli claims of "...militants in that van",
and then follow with an article quote. . . "The account was quickly disputed by officials from Human Rights Watch", but in this article quote, the claim being disputed by HWA is not the van on tuesday, but the responsibility for friday.

Now tear yourself a new one.
I went back and re-read the article in the link and, your right, HRW was disputing the incident on the beach, not in the van. It [the article] also states there was a rocket-maker in that van. It also states that the rocket attacks by Hamas were done in response to Israels continued excursions and abductions in Gaza.

If you don't recognize the sovereign territory of another nation, what do you expect is going to happen? And if you can't conduct operations in such a way that limit civilian casualties, then don't complain about what follows.

My apologies for the mistake.

Oh, I've got to think you can ad hominem yourself better than that.

Oh, I've got to think you can ad hominem yourself better than that.
Ok, let me try this again...

ahem..."By jumping to conclusions about what incident HRW was disputing, who was I supposed to be, Voidwar?"

How's that?

Even after being proven wrong, gently and politely, you still try to ad hominem me.

Congratulations, your credibility has reached zero.
Please deposit a more worthwhile human if you wish to continue.

Billo_Really said:
If you don't recognize the sovereign territory of another nation, what do you expect is going to happen? And if you can't conduct operations in such a way that limit civilian casualties, then don't complain about what happens.

One could also make the argument that if you allow a terrorist organization to operate with impunity in your country, elect them to power, refuse to disarm them or ask for any foreign help to do so, and then that terrorist organization violates the soverign territory of another nation and kidnaps their soldiers, then don't complain about what happens.

Originally posted by RightatNYU
One could also make the argument that if you allow a terrorist organization to operate with impunity in your country, elect them to power, refuse to disarm them or ask for any foreign help to do so, and then that terrorist organization violates the soverign territory of another nation and kidnaps their soldiers, then don't complain about what happens.
Yes, to be fair, one could also say that too!

Even after being proven wrong, gently and politely, you still try to ad hominem me.

Congratulations, your credibility has reached zero.
Please deposit a more worthwhile human if you wish to continue.
Hey, your the one who demanded I ad hom myself! So I did. What are you getting so upset about? I capitulated to your wishes...

...I would've thought you'd thank me!

Billo_Really said:

Human Rights Watch is an anti-Israel pro-Palestinian front with a clearly biased political agenda in the guise of a Human Rights advocacy group.

Originally posted by TOT:
Human Rights Watch is an anti-Israel pro-Palestinian front in the guise of a Human Rights advocacy group.
That's your opinion, and you have every right to it. Besides, that statement of mine was made in error.

Billo_Really said:
That's your opinion, and you have every right to it. Besides, that statement of mine was made in error.

Oh it's not just my opinion:

Human Rights Watch has been criticized by various human rights activists, non-governmental organizations, politicians, and media as having an anti-Semitic or anti-Israel bias. This includes the Committee for Accuracy in Middle East Reporting in America, the Anti-Defamation League, Honest Reporting, NGO Monitor, the Australia/Israel & Jewish Affairs Council (AIJAC), Abraham Cooper, Anne Bayefsky, Gerald Steinberg, Isi Leibler, Shimon Peres[citation needed], and Ana Palacio.

The Committee for Accuracy in Middle East Reporting in America ran an article on their website in 2005 titled “What is Human Rights Watch's Agenda?” In this article CAMERA stated that Human Rights Watch is “A self-appointed arbiter of human rights abuses around the world” and that, “This would be a noble and worthy mission if it were carried out objectively, without regard to political or ideological agenda. Regrettably, this is not the case.”[6] CAMERA has also stated, “AI and another "voice of international appeasement" — Human Rights Watch — have consistently directed their righteous ire at Israel, sparing the real human rights abusers.”[7]

In a 2006 communiqué Honest Reporting wrote, “Human Rights Watch, along with many other organizations which claim to focus solely on human rights without a political agenda, have hardly proven themselves to be an "unbiased" source.” Furthermore, the communiqué asserted, “HRW is not held accountable to anybody but its own staff” and, “The organization's bias against Israel is hardly new.”[8]

The Anti-Defamation League, in response to coverage of the Jenin Massacre, stated that Human Rights Watch was among the groups that, “Pre-judged Israel's behavior.” The Anti-Defamation League also wrote, “Both Amnesty International and Human Rights Watch charged Israel with violations of international law and war crimes. Neither discussed the international law violations involved in arming a refugee camp, or demanded the United Nations be held in any way accountable for its lack of oversight in the camp. While Human Rights Watch acknowledged in a May 3 report that there was no evidence of a massacre and that Palestinian gunmen had contributed to endangering Palestinian civilians, they continued to emphasize that there was prima facie evidence Israel committed war crimes.”[9]

The Australia/Israel & Jewish Affairs Council concluded an anti-Israel bias in the 2002 article titled, “Israel’s critics and their war with the truth.” Regarding an apparent double standard, this article questioned, “It is hard to explain why victims of slavery and slaughter are virtually ignored by American progressives. How can it be that there is no storm of indignation at Amnesty International or Human Rights Watch, which, though they rushed to Jenin to investigate false reports of Jews massacring Arabs, care so much less about Arab-occupied Juba, South Sudan's black capital? How can it be that they have not raised the roof about Khartoum's black slaves?”[10] In fact, HRW had issued a report on slavery in Sudan earlier that year [11] and stated publicly on April 26, 2002, that “we have not found any evidence to suggest that hundreds of people were "massacred" by Israeli forces in Jenin[12]

An NGO Monitor summary in 2006 commented, “While NGO Monitor's analysis shows a significant reduction in Human Rights Watch's disproportionate focus on Israel in 2005, compared with 2004, clear evidence of systematic political bias remains.” NGO Monitor added, “Many HRW publications continue to reflect what can be described as gratuitous political attacks against Israel, often based on unverified media reports, and reflecting a hostile political agenda. Similarly, as found in NGO Monitor's 2004 report, HRW's use of language to condemn Israel is highly politicized, especially when compared to reports on other countries in the Middle East, such as Iran, Egypt, Syria, and Libya, and continues to deny Israel the right to self-defense under international law.”[13] A quantitative study carried out by NGO Monitor asserted an anti-Israel bias as well.[14]
http://www.ngo-monitor.org/archives/op-eds/041304-1.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_Rights_Watch#Comparison_with_Amnesty_International

<<<continued below>>>

<<<continued>>>

Anne Bayefsky concluded that there was an anti-Semitic agenda at Human Rights Watch based on her observations at the 2001 World Conference against Racism. Bayefsky wrote, “When it comes to anti-Semitism and anti-Israel bias, Human Rights Watch still has a lot of explaining to do, notwithstanding Executive Director Ken Roth's umbrage at criticism.” As a participant at the World Conference against Racism, Bayefsky also commented on how she was excluded from the meeting due to her participation with The International Association of Jewish Lawyers and Jurists, “As we arrived at our meeting the chief Durban representative of Human Rights Watch, advocacy director Reed Brody, publicly announced that as a representative of a Jewish group I was unwelcome and could not attend.”[15]

Abraham Cooper, another participant at the 2001 World Conference against Racism, reiterated Anne Bayefsky’s conclusions when he wrote, “Contrary to the May 27 letter by the executive directors of Human Rights Watch and Amnesty International U.S.A., Anne Bayefsky (Ending Bias in the Human Rights System, Op-Ed, May 22) was correct to criticize those two groups for their roles at the United Nations conference against racism in Durban, South Africa, last year.” Cooper added regarding the forum document, “The concerns of one group of victims -- the Jewish people -- were left off that document, with the silent acquiescence of Amnesty International and Human Rights Watch.” Abraham Cooper also recounted, “Like many other Jewish delegates at the conference, I was subjected to physical intimidation and threats.”[16]

Gerald Steinberg is one of the more vociferous critics of Human Rights Watch. In a 2006 National Review article titled “Human-Rights Schizophrenia” Steinberg wrote, “During the height of the terror attacks against Israel, HRW focused one-third of its entire Middle East effort on condemnations directed at Israel. This went far beyond legitimate criticism, and suggested an obsession.” Steinberg asserted further, “The most infuriating instance of HRW’s bias came in 2004, when Roth went to the American Colony Hotel in Jerusalem to promote “Razing Rafah,” a one sided denunciation of Israeli policy. Its contents were based primarily on unsubstantiated reports of Palestinians, selected journalists, and so-called experts on tunneling.” He concluded with, “So either it is I, along with other critics of HRW, who blindly oppose legitimate criticism of Israel (it might be dismissed as part of a neoconservative ideology), or it is Roth and HRW who apply different and unique criteria that single out Israel unfairly. The evidence shows that it is the latter.” [17]

Isi Leibler, a columnist for The Jerusalem Post, stated that Human Rights Watch is among the groups that, “Have long track records of bias and employing double standards in relation to Israel.”[18]

In an address to the Anti-Defamation League, a former Foreign Minister of Spain, Ana Palacio, asserted that Human Rights Watch ignored anti-Semitism as an issue of importance over other human rights issues, such as gay or refugee rights. In this address she stated, “Disinterested NGOs like Human Rights Watch or Amnesty International pay little attention to anti-Semitism.”[19]

Back
Top Bottom