• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Why Does NC-17 Exist?

I recall seeing the unrated edition of both "the devil's rejects" and "Halloween" both being advertised on TV. But how you would go about validating that here is rather difficult (any commercial could just be web based). But I am unsure how they would get around the 1st with such a law

Do you recall on which channel (public/cable) and at which time of day you saw them? Any commercial figuring a tv channel logo will do.

Do you recall on which channel (public/cable) and at which time of day you saw them? Any commercial figuring a tv channel logo will do.

I'm pretty sure spike TV during a UFC broadcast. So at night time in a bar

Any commercial figuring a tv channel logo will do.

This would assume someone went through the trouble of recording a commercial from the tv, that the logo was up during the commercial, that they bothered loading it on the net, and that it still retains a presence.

PS but what would be the legal basis for barring commercial advertising for an unrated film? Broadcasters would be free to not run them, but I can't see how a legal restriction would make it past the 1st amendment

Look. That claim came from John Waters in Kirby Dick's 2006 doc, This Film Has Not Been Yet Rated. So perhaps Wal-mart's policy has changed since 2006, or perhaps he didn't know what he was talking about, like all the others in that doc?

Waters frequently has no idea what he's talking about, and loves to stir up controversy -- that's pretty much his thing.

Kevin Smith is the one who said that unrated (unrated, not 'not yet rated') films aren't advertised on tv. Could you provide some proof to the contrary?

I've seen it in commercials many times. There's no way to provide a link to network TV commercial, and there is no network watermark in commercials.

And even if they weren't, it doesn't mean it's illegal to do so. There is no law or FCC regulation against it.

Also I can't access your Blockbusters link.

That's not my problem. Everyone else can.

Anyway, La Vie d'Adèle (Blue Is The Warmest Color), which is restricted to people under 12 in France (NC-17 in the US), has had a remarkably good start in theaters here. Let's see how it fares elsewhere...

Who cares?

I've seen it in commercials many times. There's no way to provide a link to network TV commercial, and there is no network watermark in commercials. And even if they weren't, it doesn't mean it's illegal to do so. There is no law or FCC regulation against it.
Well as I already said it doesn't need to be a law if it's customary...also I've read other people comment elsewhere that they don't see them on tv or so rarely that it boils down to basically the same thing.

That's not my problem. Everyone else can.
Well since you posted that link in reply to one of my posts I thought you'd like to know I can't access it..

Who cares?
I do..

I've seen it in commercials many times. There's no way to provide a link to network TV commercial, and there is no network watermark in commercials.

Yeah, lots of the ****ty gore fests, that pass as modern horror,are heavily advertised for their unrated releases once they hit the home video market. In fact, recalling that puts this discussion in a whole new perspective for me. Being that I was thinking of unrated underground films that have no wide theatrical release, like the stuff Jim Van Bebber and Takashi Miike are known for

the former is heavily advertised and even available at walmart. The later tends to be limited solely based on the fact they are more underground films geared towards a very niche market

Yeah, lots of the ****ty gore fests, that pass as modern horror,are heavily advertised for their unrated releases once they hit the home video market. In fact, recalling that puts this discussion in a whole new perspective for me. Being that I was thinking of unrated underground films that have no wide theatrical release, like the stuff Jim Van Bebber and Takashi Miike are known for

the former is heavily advertised and even available at walmart. The later tends to be limited solely based on the fact they are more underground films geared towards a very niche market

All kinds of "unrated" cuts are pushed heavily on TV by the time they get to DVD. For theatrical release, it does seem to be horror most of the time.

But the truth is, there just aren't all that many of them to begin with.

Well as I already said it doesn't need to be a law if it's customary...

It's not "customary" like it's a societal taboo. It's commercial. The market is small.

It's not "customary" like it's a societal taboo. It's commercial. The market is small.

and it's not like that market is even represented among the type of people that would be watching prime time network TV. You would be advertising to the completely wrong demo

Back
Top Bottom