• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Why does America need Europe?

By decline I mean American sliding down the black hole.

I just don't underdstand fanatics like you. What exactly is it that the U.S. ever did to Europe that has your people seeking constant American doom? Europeans accuse the U.S. of failing, falling, ending, and messed up ever decade. Every generation has had their turn up to bat to criticize and warn of America's impending doom. Directly after WWII, the French sought ways to regain lost power and constantly challenged U.S. policy. Every crisis during the Cold War was definate proof that the U.S. was instigating nuclear holocaust. A few terrorist suspects get waterboarded and we become history's example of depravity. The economic crisis is definate proof that the U.S. is finished.

What is this constant need to define American doom at every turn for some Europeans? It's pathetic. In the end, we are still here and still in charge. The EU complains about not getting enough respect from the U.S. The Middle East seeks U.S. solution to their Israeli/Palesintinan troubles. The world seeks U.S. direction in regards to Iran's nuclear ambitions. Russia's pretend back to power has Europeans preserving their place behind our shield.

But we are sliding down a black hole? Get real. Considering the gross European examples of what depravity is, insignificant complaining about exaggerated American events doesn't go very far.

Last edited:
bennyhill said:
I think if America was on the winning side, we would all join in, but nobody wants to be part of a losing war. I just dont see how this war can be won, already the president of Afganistan is trying to win support among the Taliban, actually his enemy? Its a different culture that we dont understand, so lets leave. The ceiling wont fall down, if America leaves see Vietnam.

The same people who declared Iraq a impossible war have shifted over to label Afghanistan an impossible war. Perhaps the unqualified could learn to focus on simpler things. Afghanistan is just as winnable as Iraq was. It's merely a matter of recogning the world we live in and defining "victory" in accordance to the situation. If they wish to conduct business with ther Tali-Ban, so be it. Either way, they won't threaten the U.S. again. The misery the Tali-Ban brings back to Afghanistan will be their responsibility.

bennyhill said:
By the way, I read that America found gold in Afghanistan and other precious metals, did GWB have a hidden agenda? Im asking, because where did soilders find the time to mine, instead of fighting Taliban soilders?

No, "soldiers" didn't find gold. Geologists and agriculturalists found minerals in Afghanistan during their surveys. The surveys are being conducted to switch the poppy field economy of Afghanistan into one of wheat. This program is in the works right now and as these wheat fields replace poopy fields for the farmers, government corruption will be better managed.

By the way, this is a part of what we are doing over there. It's not just about killing the bad guys. Like I stated, you aren't qualified enough to have a legitimate opinion about Afghanistan.

I think your should read what Hans Blix reported to the UN.
I would say, by your definition, Blix was fear mongering. He paints a bleak, dangerous picture.

Then tell me Bush was a liar, Blair was a liar, the Democrats were liars, the French, Russians and German intel agencies and governments were liars.
Bolded for easy reading, and edited.

He had the worst of WMD, as Blix noted, and they couldn't account for it, and he was uncooperative.
What do you do as a President sworn to defend against enemies foreign and domestic, with an obviously gleeful band of terrorists spread about the world like cancer?

You "Connect the Dots"... remember those words?

Now tell me, after reading the following. You have just been hit (911), and this kook in Iraq has WMD by all indications. He hates America, and terrorists are dying to get a hold of some WMD goodies.

Do you issue years of threats, behave like Neville Chamberlain or Bill Clinton, or do you give one last chance, and then act if he doesn't? Hoping it is not too late already.

CNN.com - Transcript of Blix's remarks - Jan. 27, 2003

If only Barack Hussein Obama had been president then. He could have bowed and talked nicely to Saddam Hussein. It would have solved everything. He might have even been able to sweet talk the terrorists. Then again, that hasn't worked with Iran or the terrorists. The Jews or Palestinians... Never mind... had a slurp of Hope & Change Kool-Aid.

This is all anecdotal evidence. This could be used to do this or this could be used to do that. If there were WMD, how come we didn't find any? The whole Iraq war was totally optional and Bush's choice, a selfish choice to take over the Iraq state and use it for his purposes after 9/11. Bush only used WMD as a post-justification just to have a reason to go to war. The hawks in Bush's administration convinced him that it would be beneficial to take over Iraq, and Bush had to build up a case to justify going to war with Iraq so he picked WMD. Again, if Saddam was such a threat, why wasn't he at all talked about before 9/11 or even remotely on the radar? Because he wasn't a threat and was just a pawn in Bush and US foreign policy.

This is all anecdotal evidence. This could be used to do this or this could be used to do that. If there were WMD, how come we didn't find any? The whole Iraq war was totally optional and Bush's choice, a selfish choice to take over the Iraq state and use it for his purposes after 9/11. Bush only used WMD as a post-justification just to have a reason to go to war. The hawks in Bush's administration convinced him that it would be beneficial to take over Iraq, and Bush had to build up a case to justify going to war with Iraq so he picked WMD. Again, if Saddam was such a threat, why wasn't he at all talked about before 9/11 or even remotely on the radar? Because he wasn't a threat and was just a pawn in Bush and US foreign policy.

First, you are correct. The WMD excuse was just that, an excuse. However, there was enough question to convince your Washington representatives that he may have it.

Second, you are horribly in the dark in regards to Iraq and Hussein. A bit of political bias has you frustrated. Hussein was hardly off the radar to the military or the region. For 12 years the military maintained that stupid UN mission while the rest of the allies turned away one by one. In the mean time, President Clinton bombed out Iraq 4 separate times because of his defiance and refusals to obey the conditions that preserved his throne in the wake of the Gulf War. After 9/11 Bin Laden used the "starving children of Iraq" as one of the excuses to murder Americans on our soil. He also used our base in Saudi Arabia, which existed in order to facilitate the UN mission of containment. And every time Saddam HUssein played his border games, we sent more and more troops to execute the "if" scenario. President Bush picked the WMD angle to kick the door in and end this stupid mission in Iraq.

You can pretend to treat this as a Bush thing all you like, but you are being painfully dishonest to yourself. This began in 1991 and it spanned three U.S. Presidents. Bush facilitated the path. Clinton looked for ways to end it by taking him out. And Bush ended it.

Of course, the democratic path Iraq and Afghanistan are on right now involves an entire region's future. Notice how exponentially the modernists voices have grown since Iraqis began voting ontheir destinies? Probably not. I'm not stating that this was a Bush plan. I'm just stating that there are positive consequences to what you call unnecessary. Bin Laden found it necessary. Otherwise he wouldn't have used it as an excuse to murder Americans.

In other words Opteron, Osama Bin Laden used the UN containment mission over Iraq as an excuse to murder Americans and President Bush used WMD as an excuse to end that mission.

First, you are correct. The WMD excuse was just that, an excuse. However, there was enough question to convince your Washington representatives that he may have it.

Second, you are horribly in the dark in regards to Iraq and Hussein. A bit of political bias has you frustrated. Hussein was hardly off the radar to the military or the region. For 12 years the military maintained that stupid UN mission while the rest of the allies turned away one by one. In the mean time, President Clinton bombed out Iraq 4 separate times because of his defiance and refusals to obey the conditions that preserved his throne in the wake of the Gulf War. After 9/11 Bin Laden used the "starving children of Iraq" as one of the excuses to murder Americans on our soil. He also used our base in Saudi Arabia, which existed in order to facilitate the UN mission of containment. And every time Saddam HUssein played his border games, we sent more and more troops to execute the "if" scenario. President Bush picked the WMD angle to kick the door in and end this stupid mission in Iraq.

You can pretend to treat this as a Bush thing all you like, but you are being painfully dishonest to yourself. This began in 1991 and it spanned three U.S. Presidents. Bush facilitated the path. Clinton looked for ways to end it by taking him out. And Bush ended it.

Of course, the democratic path Iraq and Afghanistan are on right now involves an entire region's future. Notice how exponentially the modernists voices have grown since Iraqis began voting ontheir destinies? Probably not. I'm not stating that this was a Bush plan. I'm just stating that there are positive consequences to what you call unnecessary. Bin Laden found it necessary. Otherwise he wouldn't have used it as an excuse to murder Americans.
I'm glad you agree that the WMD was an pretense more than anything else, its some common ground. And you are right, the congress should not have gone along with the resolution, they should have asked questions or even said come back later when you want to go to war and we will authorize it then.

I do, however, disagree with you in that I do believe the war was Bush's doing. I will say I am not too familiar with Clinton era developments and Saddam Hussein might have been trying to step out of his box early in Clinton's term, but looking at early 2000's many analysts have said that Saddam Hussein was successfully contained and not a threat.

Bush was critical in making the war in Iraq go forward. He made or broke it. If he didn't go along with it, no one could make the war happen. The Hawks in the administration convinced him and Bush adopted the idea. Remember, Bush was initially scornful of nation-building before his term but after 9/11 he espoused ideas of democracy and transforming a region.

I will say this, the war was about putting a democracy in Iraq and not about anything else such as oil or money, the idea being to try to transform the Middle East into a democracy. But it hasn't worked so far and the costs were far greater than any gain we have gotten or any foreseeable gain in the near future. It seems like a good idea in theory, but the mismanagement and obstacles, some which were warned about, made it not a good move.

What I don't like is that Iraq was used as a pawn in this policy. Saddam Hussein should have been removed in the first Gulf War. Instead, he was left there to make the other Arab states happy that there was no turmoil or change in the Mideast. Then, he was contained, and when it suited Bush's foreign policy, he was used to further the War on Terror and removed.

In other words Opteron, Osama Bin Laden used the UN containment mission over Iraq as an excuse to murder Americans and President Bush used WMD as an excuse to end that mission.
Thanks for clarifying. I do agree that that was one of Bin Laden's reason's, he had a whole list of reasons, I think. But it doesn't matter too much of Bin Laden's reasons since he's a terrorist and perpetrated a terrorist act. For President Bush, I believe that it was a war of option, and should be looked at that way.

I will just add some things here, the other post was getting long.

Frontline has a lot of good documentaries on the subject. I've watched The War Behind Closed Doors, it's about the war of ideas between the hawks and non-hawks about going to war in Iraq. They have a list of the documentaries relating to Saddam Hussein, and then all of their documentaries on the War on Terror are here. I think I'll watch more of these documentaries when I get a chance.

And to go back to the issue, here's an interview with Bill Kristol from the Frontline resources it explains a lot of the Bush motivation:

frontline: the war behind closed doors: interviews: william kristol | PBS

That switch from terrorists to tyrants, as you suggest, that is a huge change. It's not only a big change in nine days; it's a massive change to get to the "axis of evil" from that. ... What happened? How did it happen? Who argued for it? Who argued against it? I know Powell is on one side, and I guess Rumsfeld was on the other, but what was pulling Bush in that direction? What do you think worked?

I do think [the president] really was shocked, honestly, as we all were, by 9/11, but to his credit, really started rethinking his view of the world, and what the real dangers were. And when you're president of the United States, that becomes a kind of personal thinking, in the sense of, "What do I want people to say about me when my presidential term is over in 2005, or 2009?"

When people on the outside, therefore, started to say, or had been saying really for quite a while, "Hey, look, if we don't start doing some things here in the world, you're going to have people like Saddam Hussein or Kim Jong Il with nuclear weapons. What happens if they start dealing those to terrorists groups?"

I think Bush really focused on that as sort of the fundamental challenge of his presidency. We're going to win the war on terror, I think, in the narrow sense. Al Qaeda is not going to defeat the United States of America. It could kill a lot of people. But Bush, to his credit, wasn't willing to say, "That's enough." He didn't want to give over the presidency, at that point in three years or seven years, to a successor who would inherit a world where lots of really bad dictatorships had been able to move ahead with the development of weapons of mass destruction and the possible export, proliferation of those weapons to either other rogue states, or to a bunch of terrorist groups.

So Bush really somehow focused on that. I know Cheney focused on that. Right after 9/11, Cheney supposedly said that very day, "This was terrible. But imagine what would have happened if those planes had had nuclear weapons on them." Condi Rice, who had been ... ambivalent in the battles between the -- let's call them the neo-Reaganites and the Powell team -- I think swung over pretty decisively after 9/11.

So I think you had Bush, Cheney, and Rice, all lined up together. I do think they drove policy after 9/11.

And Powell's role in all of this?

Powell was secretary of state, and he had plenty to do being secretary of state. He obviously fought some of this, and didn't like some of the broader implications and the more ambitious agenda that Bush articulated. But, look, I think what Bush has proven is that he's president, and he will override cabinet secretaries if he has to.
I agree with everything except probably the weapons of mass destruction part, and I think its pretty good insight.

I'm glad you agree that the WMD was an pretense more than anything else, its some common ground.

Of course I agree. I don't get caught up with the fads or the political lean or the bumper sticker protests that form so many ignorant opinions. Though it was suspected that at least something would be found, most of the military agreed in 2003. General Anthony Zinni even wrote about it in his book when he was unable to get clear answers as to where our immediate WMD targets were inside Iraq. It was a guessing game. But in the end, the military just wanted to finish the Gulf War and end the senseless lingering that Osama Bin Laden used to murder Americans.

I do, however, disagree with you in that I do believe the war was Bush's doing. I will say I am not too familiar with Clinton era developments and Saddam Hussein might have been trying to step out of his box early in Clinton's term, but looking at early 2000's many analysts have said that Saddam Hussein was successfully contained and not a threat.

You missed the point. It was the containment mission that facilitated the tens of thousands of dead Iraqis through starvation. It was the containment mission in Iraq and our base in Saudi Arabia to support it that ignited 9/11. Hussein could have been successfully contained until he died of natural causes and then under his sons and their offspring. But how many more Iraqis were going to die from starvation and Americans murdered by excuse hungry terrorists so we could cling to our "succesful containment mission" in the desert? These analysts are stupid and are unwilling to go further into the problem. 9/11 didn't start on 9/10 and despite the sentiment of some, Iraq had much to do with 9/11 - as does the House of Saud, as does the Israeli/Palestinian issue, as does Egypt's current pharaoh, and as does so many other things in this God forsaken region we are stuck with.

The Middle East is a wreck of badly built nations, where tribes are only at peace beacuse their overlords threaten death for misbehavior (witness the freedom of Iraqis without Hussein's death squads and torture cells). In the mean time, we are the enemy because we conduct business with their overlords or "contain" them. Eventually, the "Yugoslavias" of the world are going to self-destruct whether we are there or not. At least in regards to Iraq, we held responsibility thanks to the Gulf War. Unlike Europeans, who have washed their hands of the whole mess they created all over the third world, we dealt with our responsibility in Iraq.

Bush was critical in making the war in Iraq go forward. He made or broke it. If he didn't go along with it, no one could make the war happen.

It would have just been the next President or the next. From Bush to Clinton to Bush, what makes you think this was going to end any other way?

The Hawks in the administration convinced him and Bush adopted the idea. Remember, Bush was initially scornful of nation-building before his term but after 9/11 he espoused ideas of democracy and transforming a region.

You are coming full circle. Why would he make a change in regards to dealing with our depraved missions in the Middle East? He like so many others recognized that 9/11 was merely a symptom of decay. It needs to end. We can no longer afford to sit back and pretend that our morals and values end at Middle Eastern foriegn policy. We see 9/11 as the worst thing they can do. Nuclear power is around the corner. The moment we see an explosion, we will all criticize the government for not doing something before it got too late. In the mean time, the government is trying to deal with the mess in the oppressive and Frankenstein's Monster of a mess that is the Middle East while people criticize it for doing anything at all.

It seems like a good idea in theory, but the mismanagement and obstacles, some which were warned about, made it not a good move.

What was a bad idea was that civilians insisted that they knew better than the military. No one in the Rumsfeld coven had ever worn a uniform or spent any real time understanding these cultures, yet they insisted on bungling and mis-managing until the Administration finally gave the mission to the military (Patreaus & Mattis) and tapped into a cultural expert (Vali Nasr). This didn't occur until late 2006. Since it was only a matter of time before we ended this damaging containment mission (dictator support in my book), the mistake was not going in. It was how they did it. Hell, if it weren't for how the Marine Corps is trained and its ability to remain flexible, Rumsfeld's battle plan would have been a disaster.

The military had a living plan from CENTCOM on what to do with Iraq. It considered social considerations after Baghdad fell. It considered all the things that would have told Congress that this will take time and money. It was thrown out by Rumsfeld for fear of a congressional "NO" if they knew the truth. Like I stated, the mistake was how they went in, not that we did the inevitable.

What I don't like is that Iraq was used as a pawn in this policy. Saddam Hussein should have been removed in the first Gulf War. Instead, he was left there to make the other Arab states happy that there was no turmoil or change in the Mideast. Then, he was contained, and when it suited Bush's foreign policy, he was used to further the War on Terror and removed.

Clinton criticized Bush for allowing Hussein to keep his throne. It is one of the things voters remebered when they went into the booth. Clinton also wanted him removed, but settled for bombing his cities 4 separate times for lack of an excuse to go in. Ultimately, this was about ending the UN mission that should never have existed. We were the ones holding the bag in the end and we were the ones that were attacked by terrorists over it. It was a mess that needed to come to a close one way or another.

Thanks for clarifying. I do agree that that was one of Bin Laden's reason's, he had a whole list of reasons, I think. But it doesn't matter too much of Bin Laden's reasons since he's a terrorist and perpetrated a terrorist act. For President Bush, I believe that it was a war of option, and should be looked at that way.

They are all war options. Going all the way back to the beginning, war or conflict with outsiders have always been an option. Our only real enemies have ever been the Japanese and ragtag Muslims in a war they chose. But the problem today is that, because of the social and oppressive prescriptions placed upon Muslims, every single nation in the region breeds our future enemies. Bin Laden and so many others didn't come from countries where they have the freedom to protest or direct their people's destiny.

Last edited:
I will just add some things here, the other post was getting long.

Are you serious? Ask around. Long posts don't bother me. I'm in it for the discussion, not the silly, pedestrian "debate." Your post was nothing that I would consider long. Write away.

From your link...."That switch from terrorists to tyrants, as you suggest, that is a huge change. It's not only a big change in nine days; it's a massive change to get to the "axis of evil" from that. ... What happened? How did it happen? Who argued for it? Who argued against it? I know Powell is on one side, and I guess Rumsfeld was on the other, but what was pulling Bush in that direction? What do you think worked?"

This is exactly why I am absolutely bewildered over people who can't get it. The extreme shift from 9/11 to Saddam Hussein screams that we have been trying to get rid of this mission for a long time. President Clinton passed off two names that haunted our security. He told the new President "Osama Bin Laden" and "Saddam Hussein." We had known for years that our escillating troop numbers in Saudi Arabia and Kuwait, in order to deal with Hussein's UN games, was inticing Osama Bin Laden's Al-Queda. The U.S. military had already been atttacked in a barracks, a UN mission, embassies, and a ship. On 9/11, Americans were actually shocked.

9/11 was not just a single event without history. This is what people seem to get screwed up about. It was a culminating result of a region so distorted and without direction that it has chosen to export its violence. The physical representation between modernists/reformists and foundamentalists is what we see in Iraq and in Afghanistan. The struggle within Islam has killed a million times more Muslims than Americans. Tens of millions of Muslims had been killed inside the Middle East and North Africa by other Muslims before 9/11 occurred. This is a war that started decades and decades ago that we have refused to play in. Our role, according to Sayyid Qutb (great influence on the Muslim Brotherhood and all Sunni extremists), is to be God's enemy. As the "imperialists" who conduct business with the House of Saud or conduct the missions to stabilize the region (no matter the dictator), we play in to that role. We offer ourselves as an enemy they can believe in as a suitable target of hatred in the absence of any ability to choose their own destinies under their own twisted leaders.

Taking out Saddam Hussein and ending our role there was imperative to altering this region's path and removing ourselves from those missions that offer terrorist excuses. Halim Barakat writes in his text book (The Arab World: Society, Culture, and State) that the "Gulf War seeded a great embarrasment and shame in Arab minds." They not only saw the complete inability of their leaders to protect them from their own, but the reliance on outsiders to sort out their house. To further this, the reformists of Islam have spent over a century seeking to develop a democracy under true Islam. It wasn't until a Western power (the same from the Gulf War) came in and rid the region of Hussein and paved a path that Arabs were able to at least try to achieve it. This adds to the humiliation of a proud people. When people ignorantly talk about how the Iraq War or the Afghanistan War has created extremists, they are right, but they are too ignorant to recognize that this is coming from within. Their situations and inabilities to marry old Islam to new Islam in a globalized world is the culpret. People like Osama Bin Laden and their acts of terror are mere symptoms.

But notice how so much seems to hinge on Iraq? Perhaps this is because it is the strategic center of the heartland of Islam. Over the course of centuries Iraq was the cross roads of traders and merchants. Baghdad was the capital of the caliphate for hundreds of years. It joins the fertile crescent nations. It has traditionally boasted to have the most educated population. The significance of Iraq was demonstrated by all Sunni nations who really looked away as their Sunni youth traveled across borders unmolested to slaughter Shia. Saddam Hussein's imprtance in Iraq to Arab nations had more to do with him being Sunni than anything else. Had the U.S. sought to install a Shia dictator after the Gulf War?

Iraq is quite possibly the Arab's last chance to do something right in this region.

Last edited:
I'll respond to pieces as I think of points that come across and try to respond to as much of it in a bit.
Are you serious? Ask around. Long posts don't bother me. I'm in it for the discussion, not the silly, pedestrian "debate." Your post was nothing that I would consider long. Write away.
I get impatient when writing a post that seems to be long, I would just like to press submit after each paragraph and have 5-10 posts in a row, heh, but I think the mods want the posts to be consolidated. Also, I appreciate the good discussion that does not degrade into personal attacks even if there are disagreements over the points.

It would have just been the next President or the next. From Bush to Clinton to Bush, what makes you think this was going to end any other way?
This was interesting, and I thought of Cuba. Iraq could be just perpetually isolated just like Cuba is and how our foreign policy is towards them. While it may not be the best solution, it was a relatively damage free policy in that war would be avoided and realistically it was a moderately working solution.

I listened to a speech by Scott Ritter, the former chief UN weapons inspector, in the run up to war and he said essentially Saddam was contained and not a threat. Although Saddam had tried to evade the inspectors, he said they did a good job and found most of the weapons anyways. He also said the sanctions were harmful and they should have been lifted.

Also, I don't think Saddam was that foolish in that he would jeopardize his rule. He probably wanted to push the envelope, but I don't think he was a big threat. I think some military analyst said that 'Saddam would step out of his box, then we'd bomb him and he would become quiet again. Then after a period of time he would step out of the box again and we'd bomb him again and he'd become quiet again and this pattern would continue on and on.' I think Saddam was a nuisance, not a threat.

This is a war that started decades and decades ago that we have refused to play in. Our role, according to Sayyid Qutb (great influence on the Muslim Brotherhood and all Sunni extremists), is to be God's enemy. As the "imperialists" who conduct business with the House of Saud or conduct the missions to stabilize the region (no matter the dictator), we play in to that role. We offer ourselves as an enemy they can believe in as a suitable target of hatred in the absence of any ability to choose their own destinies under their own twisted leaders.
That's not altogether too correct. Don't forget the US has been involved in Mideast policy at times to suit our interests. We overthrew the democratically elected leader of Iran and installed the Shah. The Shah was pretty autocratic and brutal and this lead to the revolution that installed the government we see today in Iran. And we did provide necessary military support to Israel in the form of aircraft which were critical to its defense and offense. Not that I'm saying that that's bad, Israel is a good country by principles, but we do have responsibility in the Mideast. And also the first Gulf War, which was primarily motivated to protect our oil allies. We also did support Iraq in the Iraq-Iran war but we didn't intervene, so we have been involved in policy in the Mideast when it counterbalances certain countries and suits our country's needs at times.

What I'm saying is that I don't think it was worth the end result of war to go into Iraq. If people were dieing from starvation, the sanctions could be modified, or food aid could be flown in. I know Saddam was scamming the Oil for Food program, but we could have found a different solution. I'm siding with Powell, when he said "You break it, you own it" and that he was reluctant to go into Iraq versus the hawks in the administration.

This was interesting, and I thought of Cuba. Iraq could be just perpetually isolated just like Cuba is and how our foreign policy is towards them. While it may not be the best solution, it was a relatively damage free policy in that war would be avoided and realistically it was a moderately working solution.

It would never have reflected a Cuban scenario. Cuba is an isolated island without borders. Iraq shared borders with nervous neighbors. As late as 2002, Hussein flew jets over Saudi and Jordanian airspace to flirt with defying UN rules and antagonizing U.S. response. It's incidences like this over twelve years that had us escallating troops in Saudi Arabia and further angering the fundamentalists. We could wait Cuba out until the end of time. It would not have angered a religious region where terrorism is common place. With 9/11 reminding us of our continued "offenses" in the Middle East, we could not afford to keep with the status quo.

The threat was not "Saddam Hussein." The threat was what resulted from this UN containment mission and what we had to do to keep addressing his continued defiance. It's this that facilitated sympathy for groups like Al-Queda who wanted to "defend the Muslim people." Our base in Saudi Arabia was fuel to the fire. Our bombing campaigns over Iraqi cities was fuel to the fire. To extinguish the fire, we had to take away the fuel. Of course, our business deals with the House of Saud is also fuel as is our friendship with Israel, but we can only rid ourselves of what we aren't stuck with. We weren't stuck with Hussein.

Also, I don't think Saddam was that foolish in that he would jeopardize his rule. He probably wanted to push the envelope, but I don't think he was a big threat. I think some military analyst said that 'Saddam would step out of his box, then we'd bomb him and he would become quiet again. Then after a period of time he would step out of the box again and we'd bomb him again and he'd become quiet again and this pattern would continue on and on.' I think Saddam was a nuisance, not a threat.

Exactly. And we raised the number of troops in the Gulf, Saudi Arabia and Kuwait every single time he rushed troops to the border, flew jets over no-fly zones, or made threats. And every single time we had to react, we ignited further hatred from those who celebrated murdered Americans on 9/11. This containment mission facilitated the threat. Al-Queda came out of the Gulf War - the precise moment we opened a base in Saudi Arabia and began baby sitting Arabs.

That's not altogether too correct. Don't forget the US has been involved in Mideast policy at times to suit our interests. We overthrew the democratically elected leader of Iran and installed the Shah. The Shah was pretty autocratic and brutal and this lead to the revolution that installed the government we see today in Iran. And we did provide necessary military support to Israel in the form of aircraft which were critical to its defense and offense. Not that I'm saying that that's bad, Israel is a good country by principles, but we do have responsibility in the Mideast. And also the first Gulf War, which was primarily motivated to protect our oil allies. We also did support Iraq in the Iraq-Iran war but we didn't intervene, so we have been involved in policy in the Mideast when it counterbalances certain countries and suits our country's needs at times.

Sure. But we did nothing as compared to the Soviets and the European powers that created these powder kegs in the region. The little that we did mostly involved dealing with Muslim leaders. They acted and they are responsible. None of this would be of such focus had Sayyid Qutb chose another to be "evil" in the 1950s. This was declared long before our time with the Shah, long before the Iran/Iraq War, and long before a base in Saudi Arabia. It was declared long before we provided arms to Israel (1967 on). What the Middle East is today is largely of European and Arab origin. We merely came along and dealt with what was provided. Our one true "sin" was placing the Shah back in power. But 31 years later, they still can't be responsible for their own actions and direction?

Negative attitudes towards the U.S. by Middle Easterners largely reflects back to the imperialism and colonialism period. During colonialism, Europeans carved out the Middle East and made Frankenstein's Monster states full of rival tribes and friction. After World War I, Arabs viewed Western Europe as breaking promises for their sweat and blood in regards to the Levant and independence in other places. By World War II, Arabs chose to ally with the Nazis if only to defy Western Europe because of mistrust. In the beginning of the Cold War, Arabs chose the Soviet Union over the U.S. because we represented the Western world. It was the Soviets that fed munitions to Israel before they switched over to provide for the Arabs, in which France became Israel's chief weapon's supplier. It was the U.S. that Turks and Iranians asked for help in order to force the Russians out of Turkey and Iran right after World War II because they wouldn't leave occupation. (the beginnings of the Cold War). By the end of the 1950s, Sayyid Qutb wrote his very influential book about the evils of American culture and how we represent all that offends Allah. This, despite the fact, that we didn't get involved with Israel as weapon's supplier until 1967 when we safe guarded Muslims in Egypt and ordered Israel, France, and Britian to back off of and go home. Eisenhower noted a "campaign of hatred against us not by the governments but by the people" of the Arab world in the wake of Sayyid Qutbs writings. At the moment we ended the Suez War (1967), the Arabs turned to the U.S. for assistance and support in the wake of Soviet failure to support properly. Had we not won the influence, hundreds of millions of Muslims in the Middle East would have shared the same oppressive and brutal fate as the Soviet Caucusus. It was the U.S. that facilitated a Muslim victory against the Soviets in Afghanistan. It was the U.S. that saved Muslims in Bosnia. It was the U.S. that saved Muslims in Kuwait. All of this in the midst of Muslims becoming more and more disenfranchised with their leaders, because they could not provide the ulluma that had been promised for centuries. It took a Western power to smack down Saddam Hussein. And later it took the same Western power to provide Arabs with the first opportunity for democracy thay have ever had. All of their uprisings, coups, and rebellions against European colonial powers and declarations for freedom and democracy came down to an outsider having to provide it in 2003. There is a lot of shame and humiliation in the Arab culture and little of it deserves the U.S. as culprit.

Along the way, there was the Shah, the Iran-Iraq War, and business deals with oil. In all instances, the U.S. dealt with Muslims. We were not a colonial power - Iran the exception. We did not inject Western culture - Iran the exception. We did not prescribe culture. We did not kill democracy (Iran the exception). We did not strip freedoms - forced it in Iran. We did not instruct Hussein to invade Iran. We did not topple Arab governments to instill a friendly one for our oil deals. Muslims did all of this to themselves. With or without our existence, the Middle East would be what it is because culture is fate. But without us, it would be far worse off. By the way, Iran isn't an Arab state. It's not even Sunni, which is the source of all the rage.

So no, I don't think I'm incorrect. We are a scapegoat for people who lack the will and the religious bravery to defy their own lords. And their lords are all too happy to provide us as that convenient diversion. Iran defied the Shah and raised up Khomeini. Thirt-one years later, they still can't figure out their direction. When looking to validate the U.S. in their eyes as a source for why they [the Arab world] are such huge failures, we should keep things in perspective. It's like stating that your neighbor was just fine until you came along and placed a pebble in his front yard. Arabs have been performing cultural suicide for centuries (around the year 1000 some argue, but largely at the end of the 16th century - before Western "Imperialism").

What I'm saying is that I don't think it was worth the end result of war to go into Iraq. If people were dieing from starvation, the sanctions could be modified, or food aid could be flown in. I know Saddam was scamming the Oil for Food program, but we could have found a different solution. I'm siding with Powell, when he said "You break it, you own it" and that he was reluctant to go into Iraq versus the hawks in the administration.

For twelve years they "could" have done something but the UN did nothing. Everytime we bombed them, the UN turned away because we were defending their mandates. I don't believe Powell was correct at all. He was a dinosaur that still wanted to see things through Cold War eyes. Iraq was already broke. Our role was to keep it on life support while pretending that we had morals. In the mean time, it was fuel to the Arab fire. It was a source of hatred and rage. It was a recruitment tool. 9/11 was only a matter of time. What occurred after 2003 was largely between the Muslims. Something that was denied them through European colonialism, Cold War dictators, and then a containment mission. It's the containment mission that made us responsible for Iraqis. And Bin Laden knew he could use it.

Back
Top Bottom