• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Why do you want Senators chosen by state legislature?

Guyzilla

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
Seems to me, the direction that the Republicans are going is exactly as now. Away from Democracy. Trump wants to subvert the Electoral college to insert TRUMP voting electors, that ignore the will of the people. The only thing stopping that, is the outrage of the people, and their subsequent vote. What Republicans want is that the Senators are not culpable for thrown elections. Or any vote that flies in the face of decency. They will vote the Republican in, no matter the vote counts.

Oh, there will be Republicans that say, the Senate is dysfunctional, and we need to get stuff done. When the truth is, that Republicans think compromise is treason, so they ONLY want stuff they want done, NOT the will of the people.

And so I ask, why do you want Senators chosen by state leg?

Senators should be chosen by popular vote like they are now. Somebody got a problem with that?

One man one vote.

You cant trust elected politician to vote the way you would. Cut out the middle man.

I'm beginning to think that trump and barr are wanting to change every aspect of American democracy that I grew up with.
Answer to the OP is obvious: corporations and other powerful groups can more easily control state legislatures. And they are more worthy because they are more wealthy. But our trend since 1783 has been towards more democracy (excepting voter ID and other recent measures) and the amendment that brought direct elections was part of that pattern. Groups like the John Birch Society saw that as the beginning of America’s decline. Of course they would.

Back
Top Bottom