• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

why do you think MLK was killed ?

MLK was killed because ....

• Total voters
A quick list of possibilities:

Assassination of Martin Luther King, Jr. - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Interesting:

A church minister, Ronald Denton Wilson, claimed his father, Henry Clay Wilson, assassinated Martin Luther King, Jr., not James Earl Ray.[62] He stated, "It wasn't a racist thing; he thought Martin Luther King was connected with communism, and he wanted to get him out of the way." But Wilson had reportedly admitted previously that his father was a member of the Ku Klux Klan.

No use splitting hairs? Well, I suppose that would be true to those who are trying to project a certain narrative.

It may or may not be accurate to suggest a large portion of whites living in the South did not support equality, but it's another thing to suggest a large portion of all whites living in the United States did not support equality.

That's rewritting history, and this issue has had more than enough of that done.
Significant segment....gets changed into large portion....and you have the audacity to talk about rewriting history?
Wow.

SOP at work again.

True. We've certainly witnessed that over the last few years.

However, history also shows the nation was revulsed by the actions taken by the Birmingham Police and Fire Department, and they were not silent about that revulsion and call for change.

but what happened in Birmingham was only part of something that has been going on for generations. people were outraged by what the birmhingham police department did to that peaceful march, but that was only because the national spotlight illuminated their actions. for many decades prior to that, African Americans suffered while the nation was blissfully ignorant of the racism occuring.

A half century ago, polls found strikingly similar results with regard to civil rights. In spite of gaining the approval of some 55% of Americans in the spring of 1954, five years later a majority believed that the Supreme Court’s landmark decision in Brown v. Board of Education “caused a lot more trouble than it was worth.” During the 1960s a Gallup Poll found most Americans gradually came to support “racial equality in public places” but a consistent plurality wanted to take a “go slow” approach to racial change. In the South, not surprisingly, Gallup found that 80% of those polled in 1964 disapproved of civil rights legislation.

but what happened in Birmingham was only part of something that has been going on for generations. people were outraged by what the birmhingham police department did to that peaceful march, but that was only because the national spotlight illuminated their actions. for many decades prior to that, African Americans suffered while the nation was blissfully ignorant of the racism occuring.

I suppose we can thank the MSM once again for chosing what people were allowed to learn. Something that continues to this day.

No, I'm inclined to recognize proof of a reading issue, again.
Read this, re-writer...

A half century ago, polls found strikingly similar results with regard to civil rights. In spite of gaining the approval of some 55% of Americans in the spring of 1954, five years later a majority believed that the Supreme Court’s landmark decision in Brown v. Board of Education “caused a lot more trouble than it was worth.” During the 1960s a Gallup Poll found most Americans gradually came to support “racial equality in public places” but a consistent plurality wanted to take a “go slow” approach to racial change. In the South, not surprisingly, Gallup found that 80% of those polled in 1964 disapproved of civil rights legislation.

A blog post from Imagine 2050 does not amount to much. Even the links are failures.

Please reconsider your attacks on others.

A blog post from Imagine 2050 does not amount to much. Even the links are failures.

Please reconsider your attacks on others.
The links work fine...

The Gallup Poll: Public Opinion 1999 - George Gallup - Google Books

Gallup.jpg

PS...if you cant stand the heat...

I'm sorry, but I forgot the level of discourse required. Please post the actual survey, not the opinion of what was shown in the survey. I assumed you would understand that.

Also, it's usually considered appropriate to provide links to information stolen, er, copied from other sources. Plagiarism is so old fashioned and lazy, although it didn't hurt a certain Vice President.

I'm sorry, but I forgot the level of discourse required. Please post the actual survey, not the opinion of what was shown in the survey. I assumed you would understand that.

Also, it's usually considered appropriate to provide links to information stolen, er, copied from other sources. Plagiarism is so old fashioned and lazy, although it didn't hurt a certain Vice President.
FFS, that is a book written by the GALLUP ORGANIZATION and GOOGLE obtained the rights to post it's contents online, and my use falls within fair use.

Can your argument get any more pathetic? I bet it can.

Goodness. A rather significant segment of the white population had no intention of giving blacks equality? I didn't know that.

Well, now you do! You're welcome. :)

So "significant segment" means the large majority of whites had no intention of giving blacks equality?

Try playing your game of semantics with someone who has English as a first language.

Listen, friend, I lived through those years. I saw the majority population of state after state after state fighting segregation, lining up by the hundreds to spit and hurl racial epithets at children trying to go to school, I saw police beating black people trying to protest peacefully, I saw news footage of lynched blacks, murdered whites and blacks trying to register black voters, churches blown up with small children killed, so yes, when millions of citizens of this country are intent on keeping blacks separate and unequal, including governors and legislators and 90% of the white population of more than a dozen states, that does comprise a significant segment of the population.

Are we done here, or do you want to tell us all how happy the darkies were to drink from separate fountains and pee in separate toilets???

In Beyond Vietnam and other such speeches, MLK began to connect the systems of imperialism and corporate power, linking them to oppression at home. He began to organize people and died right before he was to give a speech to striking sanitation workers. (Memphis Sanitation Workers Strike (1968))

MLK theory 1-

Hate-filled racist decided he didn't want MLK to live anymore.

MLK theory 2-

The FBI under J Edgar Hoover, the closet thing we've ever had to a dictator in the United States had been monitoring him. In that compete dismissal of the second amendment, Hoover became concerned that some of the people who offered their support of the civil rights movement and from whom MLK accepted support held anti-American views. In his thinking, because MLK was palling around with anti-American types and because he had become not only one of the most influential men in the back community but in America in general, he needed to be eliminated. Yes, that would be a violation of due process; life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness; yada; yada but he reasoned he had been associated with these people and should have known where they were coming from.

However, MLK had an ally in the White House, LBJ. LBJ would not allow Hoover to touch him despite his sometimes out in left field associations. Then something happened to change that. After all LBJ had done to help the civil rights movement MLK made a speech condemning LBJ's Viet-Nam War policy and did so by essentially saying it was sinful. LBJ was so offended he gave into Hoover's repeated pressures and said have your way. One year to the date of the Viet-Nam War speech, MLK was killed after regular threats from Hoover.

Btw: although James Earl Ray served life in prison without a trial based on what some say was a coerced confession, a subsequent civil trial was held in Tennessee state court where the federal government was found liable in MLK's death.

Disclaimer: the above is mearly an unsubstantiated theory, is likely complete fiction and has no basis whatsoever in any factual events. This work of fiction should not be construed to imply any wrongdoing, either legally or morally has been committed by any persons living or dead

Last edited:
He rattled the establishment's cage. People in power in corporations and politics dont really like change.

You give his killer too much credit. The establishment didn't kill MLK, if anything MLK killed the establishment. MLK was assassinated by a felon who escaped from prison who was racist to his core. It had nothing to do with corporations or people in power, it had to do with an estranged man convinced that he was doing the world a favor.

Try playing your game of semantics with someone who has English as a first language.

Listen, friend, I lived through those years. I saw the majority population of state after state after state fighting segregation, lining up by the hundreds to spit and hurl racial epithets at children trying to go to school, I saw police beating black people trying to protest peacefully, I saw news footage of lynched blacks, murdered whites and blacks trying to register black voters, churches blown up with small children killed, so yes, when millions of citizens of this country are intent on keeping blacks separate and unequal, including governors and legislators and 90% of the white population of more than a dozen states, that does comprise a significant segment of the population.

Are we done here, or do you want to tell us all how happy the darkies were to drink from separate fountains and pee in separate toilets???

l thought significant segment was a kind of meal made with black olives because l cant

understand eng

FFS, that is a book written by the GALLUP ORGANIZATION and GOOGLE obtained the rights to post it's contents online, and my use falls within fair use.

Can your argument get any more pathetic? I bet it can.

Yet, you still won't post the actual polling, just the opinion about it.

If the shoe fits...

Well, now you do! You're welcome. :)

No, actually I don't. But I did learn some other things. Well, actually, I guess it would be more accurate to write other things were confirmed for me.

Thanks. :2razz:

Well friend, I lived through those times too. I reject the bigotry that pervades a statement that the majority of whites living in the United States at that time did not want equality for blacks. That's racist BS from bigots with an agenda.

Thanks for providing some evidence such groups continue to proliferate.

MLK theory 1-

Hate-filled racist decided he didn't want MLK to live anymore.

MLK theory 2-

The FBI under J Edgar Hoover, the closet thing we've ever had to a dictator in the United States had been monitoring him. In that compete dismissal of the second amendment, Hoover became concerned that some of the people who offered their support of the civil rights movement and from whom MLK accepted support held anti-American views. In his thinking, because MLK was palling around with anti-American types and because he had become not only one of the most influential men in the back community but in America in general, he needed to be eliminated. Yes, that would be a violation of due process; life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness; yada; yada but he reasoned he had been associated with these people and should have known where they were coming from.

However, MLK had an ally in the White House, LBJ. LBJ would not allow Hoover to touch him despite his sometimes out in left field associations. Then something happened to change that. After all LBJ had done to help the civil rights movement MLK made a speech condemning LBJ's Viet-Nam War policy and did so by essentially saying it was sinful. LBJ was so offended he gave into Hoover's repeated pressures and said have your way. One year to the date of the Viet-Nam War speech, MLK was killed after regular threats from Hoover.

Btw: although James Earl Ray served life in prison without a trial based on what some say was a coerced confession, a subsequent civil trial was held in Tennessee state court where the federal government was found liable in MLK's death.

Disclaimer: the above is mearly an unsubstantiated theory, is likely complete fiction and has no basis whatsoever in any factual events. This work of fiction should not be construed to imply any wrongdoing, either legally or morally has been committed by any persons living or dead

MLK theory 3 -

King was a serial adulterer

While the ethical reasons for the FBI’s monitoring of King were murky (at best), the recordings do make up much of what we now know about the man’s personal life. King had engaged in so many extramarital affairs that his wife, Coretta Scott King, had reportedly become disillusioned with their marriage.

Fearing that this would become public knowledge and discredit King and thus the movement ... other leaders among the black community conspired to have him assassinated and martyred.

FBI monitoring devices recorded audio of King during a tryst at a Washington, D.C., hotel, eventually sending the tape to Mrs. King in an effort to discredit him in his own home. King even spent the last night of his life with a woman who was not his wife. In the chaos outside the Lorraine Motel, his advisers told the young woman to stay out of the ambulance to avoid tarnishing his legacy.

Some still do not.

That would equate to a small, and quite sad, portion of all "whites" living in the United States.

That is a significant difference from the bigoted claims of some on this thread.

That would equate to a small, and quite sad, portion of all "whites" living in the United States.

That is a significant difference from the bigoted claims of some on this thread.

I'm not so sure that the percentage is that small. It's hard to tell nowadays.

Back
Top Bottom