• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Why do Wealthy Democrats Hate Diversity?

Why do wealthy democrats hate diversity in their own lives, and choose to live in white enclaves?

• They do it because to better their children's futures

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

truthatallcost

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
Despite all the glowing praise Democrats have for diversity, their financially privileged members seem to refuse it in their own lives. Some examples include:

DsFoim8WoAUsDRV

DsFoirnWwAAIeuZ

DsFoirqXoAA1-Eu

DsFoirtW0AAz0j9

But it's not just the mega rich D's who're sheltering away their families from diversity. Writing for the LA Times, Professor Margaret Hagerman conducted research with wealthy progressive parents, and asked this question-

As progressive parents, is their primary responsibility to advance societal values — fairness, equal opportunity and social justice — or to give their children all the advantages in life that their resources can provide?

More often than not, values lost out.

One progressive parent lamented, “I care about social justice, but — I don’t want my kid to be a guinea pig.”

White progressive parents and the conundrum of privilege - Los Angeles Times

Why do wealthy democrats hate diversity in their own lives, and choose to live in white enclaves?

From its start, the Democratic Party has always been the party of racial segregation. That is the core premise of all their race baiting and accusations of racism - pushing for racial division and racial segregation by declaring all people are identified by race and should be kept within their racial demographic.

From its start, the Democratic Party has always been the party of racial segregation. That is the core premise of all their race baiting and accusations of racism - pushing for racial division and racial segregation by declaring all people are identified by race and should be kept within their racial demographic.

While at the same time, preaching that it is for their own well being and betterment.

Despite all the glowing praise Democrats have for diversity, their financially privileged members seem to refuse it in their own lives. Some examples include:

I didnt realize that 'they' were keeping other groups of people from living in neighborhoods where they want to live. Can you document that for me?

I expect they live in those areas for same reasons you and I would given the opportunity? Do you think they actively seek out areas with few black people in them or is it just a function of the massive social division in your country which means they continue to remains so racially (and more generally socially imbalanced)?

Where one lives has zero to do with whether or not one supports diversity.

/thread.

Every person in the OPs list owns a number of homes. Some in major cities. Some in the countryside. OP only looks at the ones in the countryside, and argues they must dislike diversity because not every single one of their homes in in diverse areas. The OP's thinking is the type that gets you passed over for a promotion, kids. It's poor in scope and understanding.

Avoid it.

Just because you pick where you live based primarily on the areas racial demographics doesn't meant everyone else does. Whites in America are richer than the other races because generational wealth is a tremendous factor, so obviously its not surprising most rich areas are white.

I don't know of anyone of means of any skin color or national origin or political persuasion who would choose to go live in the worst neighborhoods in America. That Democrats, Republicans, Independents, or others of any political persuasion who have means choose to support policies that could help people who do live in the worst neighborhoods in America is fine with me.

What a pathetic hyperpartisan attack without merit.

Show me a freaking picture of Donald and Melania's trailer house in the trailer park and get back to me.

I can't wait to see what kind of skirting Melania picked out.

I didnt realize that 'they' were keeping other groups of people from living in neighborhoods where they want to live. Can you document that for me?

You've created a straw man that I'll leave to you. The people I mentioned publicly commend the merits of diversity, yet have chosen non-diverse parts of the country to house them and their families. Perhaps they know something that we don't?

Where one lives has zero to do with whether or not one supports diversity.

/thread.

Oh I guess you believe it's possible to support something from afar, with no direct involvement in it. That's called paying lip-service to something CC.

I expect they live in those areas for same reasons you and I would given the opportunity?

So we'd all chose to live in nice white enclaves if we could...that it? I guess you've stopped pretending that 'diversity is a strength' then.

Do you think they actively seek out areas with few black people in them or is it just a function of the massive social division in your country which means they continue to remains so racially (and more generally socially imbalanced)?

For the most part, the black population of the United States predates our Asian population by many decades, and even centuries. Yet Harvard University's student body is 22% Asian, and 14% black, in spite of Asians only being 5.6% of the general population, and blacks being 14%. Asians are very clearly not white, and yet out perform ALL racial categories in education and salary.

No one race owns success in the USA. Asian Americans prove this to be so. And last time I looked, blaming the socioeconomic condition of black Americans on white people hasn't elevated the status of blacks to any noticeable degree.

Every person in the OPs list owns a number of homes. Some in major cities. Some in the countryside. OP only looks at the ones in the countryside, and argues they must dislike diversity because not every single one of their homes in in diverse areas. The OP's thinking is the type that gets you passed over for a promotion, kids. It's poor in scope and understanding.

Avoid it.

You just made an incorrect assumption without consulting reality, which is why you've probably often found yourself demoted, rather than promoted.

The Obamas own two houses- 1 was previously mentioned, and the other one is located in Rancho Mirage, California, where the white population is 89%.

https://www.dailywire.com/news/11024/obama-purchases-california-mansion-go-along-his-chase-stephens

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rancho_Mirage,_California#2010

Hillary Clinton is co-owner of a second house with Bill Clinton. This second house is located in the Observatory Circle neighborhood of Washington DC, which falls in Ward 3, which is 83% white. Not too diverse Hatuey. :doh

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whitehaven_(house)

https://suburbanstats.org/population/washington-dc/how-many-people-live-in-ward-3

Jeff Zucker is only listed as having owning 1 home.

https://virtualglobetrotting.com/map/jeff-zuckers-house/view/google/

Nancy Pelosi's husband is a real estate investor, so the number of homes they own varies. In 2008 they were listed as holding 6 mortgages. The only home listed as a personal residence is the one I showed in the OP, which sits on a vineyard in Northern California.

You're dismissed.

Show me a freaking picture of Donald and Melania's trailer house in the trailer park and get back to me.

The major difference being that Donald and Melania don't go around preaching the virtues of diversity, nor do they attempt to demonize others who don't live in racially diverse neighborhoods.

I've always said if you want to live in a nice lily white neighborhood, find which is the most liberal...

DsFoim8WoAUsDRV

DsFoirnWwAAIeuZ

DsFoirqXoAA1-Eu

DsFoirtW0AAz0j9

But it's not just the mega rich D's who're sheltering away their families from diversity. Writing for the LA Times, Professor Margaret Hagerman conducted research with wealthy progressive parents, and asked this question-

As progressive parents, is their primary responsibility to advance societal values — fairness, equal opportunity and social justice — or to give their children all the advantages in life that their resources can provide?

More often than not, values lost out.

One progressive parent lamented, “I care about social justice, but — I don’t want my kid to be a guinea pig.”

I'm sure you can post a link to show us all that the Obamas have made sure that nobody other than white Christians are moving into their neighborhoods, or that the Clintons, Zuckers, and Pelosis have done the same thing.

I've always said if you want to live in a nice lily white neighborhood, find which is the most liberal...

Maybe like some of the lily white neighborhoods in Utah? Those are bastions of liberalism for sure.

Despite all the glowing praise Democrats have for diversity, their financially privileged members seem to refuse it in their own lives. [House pics deleted]

From the article:
Even as [wealthy progressive parents] promoted to their kids the importance of valuing equality, they modeled how to use privilege to get what you want. [Their] kids absorbed this,...expected to be able to move easily through the world and developed strategies for making it so.​
Well, duh! Having the privilege of wealth and availing oneself of it isn't immoral; indeed it'd be stupid not to. Who doesn't use the resources at their disposal to obtain what they want? Nobody! What is immoral is having an advantage that has nothing to do with one's innate and demonstrated abilities and acting to expand or further entrench that advantage.

We live in a capitalist society, so, of course people use their resources to their and their kids' advantage. That said, there're ethical and unethical ways of doing so. In other words, there are limits.

Though undesirous of living in an economically Marxian society, one'd be a fool to not grant Marx's accuracy about the behaviors/mindsets capitalism compels. Marxian economic propositions fail not due to inaccuracy, but due to the immutability of resource scarcity disinclining folks to live in a society wherein, no matter one's innate resources and how adroitly one exploit them, one cannot realize proportionally increased returns for having done.

Red:
You've ably miscast what you read. Dr. Hagerman asked no one that question. That rhetorical question paraphrases the sentiments of folks whom she interviewed.
  • From the article:
    "Over and over I heard comments like Greg’s reflecting a deep ambivalence: As progressive parents, is their primary responsibility to advance societal values *— fairness, equal opportunity and social justice — or to give their children all the advantages in life that their resources can provide?"

Blue:
That question cannot be answered directly because it assumes a universally inextricable knotting of three things -- being a wealthy Democrat, hating diversity in one's own life, and choosing to live in a white neighborhood -- yet the three qualities aren't thus entangled.
  • Wealthy Democrats --> Being a Dem or not has little to nothing to do with where wealthy Dems live. Similarly, being Republican has nothing to with where wealthy GOP-ers live.
  • Living in mostly white neighborhoods:
    • Wealthy people choose to live where they do because it's where exist luxury houses or because it's where they own land upon which to erect their own. Speaking for myself and my former wife, the racial makeup of the neighborhood in which we bought homes was irrelevant. The house and it's proximity to things to which we wanted easy access -- grocers, dry cleaners, restaurants, shopping, airports, clubs, woods, entertainment, our kids' schools at the time, etc. -- and the qualities of the home and property itself (floorplan, privacy, number of bedrooms, state of repair, etc.) are what drove our decisions.
    • Wealthy people often live in predominantly white neighborhoods because over 3/4ths of folks who are wealthy are white. It's simply a matter of numbers.
    • I don't know what "megarich" means to you, but among well informed observers, analysts and, well, the wealthy themselves, wealth in the "Obama and Clinton range" isn't it. FWIW, the guideline my folks used to assess whether one is rich (they didn't use the term "megarich;" they used the terms "comfortable" and "rich," and the latter were Biddles, Fords, Stewarts, Vanderbilts, Mellons, DuPonts, Sacklers, Duncans, etc.) is "able to, in 24 hours, generate $20M in cash without taking on debt to do so and without thereafter having to alter one's lifestyle."
  • Hating diversity in one's own life --> That is your inference, and it is unsupported by the rubric article; moreover, you do not present you own or someone else's cogent/sound argument that establishes that wealthy Dems indeed "hate diversity in their own lives."

So we'd all chose to live in nice white enclaves if we could...that it? I guess you've stopped pretending that 'diversity is a strength' then.
No, we’d all choose to live in the wealthy suburbs with big houses if we could. That fact those areas have disproportionately white populations isn’t the reason for that decision by most people. If it would be the reason for you, that’d be your problem. Unless you can demonstrate that it’s the reason for any of the people you referenced, it’s unfair to project your attitudes on to them.

For the most part, the black population of the United States predates our Asian population by many decades, and even centuries. Yet Harvard University's student body is 22% Asian, and 14% black, in spite of Asians only being 5.6% of the general population, and blacks being 14%. Asians are very clearly not white, and yet out perform ALL racial categories in education and salary.
I’m not the one trying to make this a simplistic black vs white issue. My whole point was this it isn’t that simple, that’s why I spoke in general terms about racial and social imbalance.

And last time I looked, blaming the socioeconomic condition of black Americans on white people hasn't elevated the status of blacks to any noticeable degree.
Again, I never blamed white people for anything. I blame Americans. You’re all equally responsible for the social problems in your country. It’s just a sad irony that those social problems lead to you all blaming each other for them (on all sorts of racial, social, economic and partisan-political grounds).

I'm sure you can post a link to show us all that the Obamas have made sure that nobody other than white Christians are moving into their neighborhoods, or that the Clintons, Zuckers, and Pelosis have done the same thing.

I can assure you that even if the Obamas had tried to do so, they were unsuccessful in doing so for the Kushners live in the same neighborhood. Moreover, as the OP-er's image shows, ~18% of the neighborhood is non-white. On top of that, the adjacent neighborhoods to the south and east aren't even wealthy ones, and ten minutes walking-distance northeast east of Kalorama, the neighborhoods are decidedly middle class.

You should see the dingle balls around the window of Donald's Rolls Royce. They look real cool

Back
Top Bottom