• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Why do we insist on trying to play god?

But we play God with genetic engineering. In fact, we play God just by selective breeding of plants and animals for specific characteristics.

Does the OP object to rose varieties or breeds of dog?

Breeding of bulldogs, and Scottish folds, is inhumane and terrible.

So, what about cloning humans and putting them on an island in the pacific?

Do humans have rights under our constitution?

Free market…
Indeed. Good for thought.

rguments Against Zoos​

• From an animal rights standpoint, humans do not have a right to breed, capture, and confine other animals—even if those species are endangered. Being a member of an endangered species doesn't mean the individual animals should be afforded fewer rights.
  • Animals in captivity suffer from boredom, stress, and confinement.5 No pen—no matter how humane—or drive-through safari can compare to the freedom of the wild.
  • Intergenerational bonds are broken when individuals are sold or traded to other zoos.
  • Baby animals bring in visitors and money, but this incentive to breed new baby animals leads to overpopulation. Surplus animals are sold not only to other zoos, but also to circuses and hunting facilities.6 Some zoos simply kill their surplus animals outright.7
  • The vast majority of captive breeding programs do not release animals back into the wild.8 The offspring are forever part of the chain of zoos, circuses, petting zoos, and the exotic pet trade that buys, sells, barters, and generally exploits animals.

Indeed. Good for thought.

rguments Against Zoos​

• From an animal rights standpoint, humans do not have a right to breed, capture, and confine other animals—even if those species are endangered. Being a member of an endangered species doesn't mean the individual animals should be afforded fewer rights.
  • Animals in captivity suffer from boredom, stress, and confinement.5 No pen—no matter how humane—or drive-through safari can compare to the freedom of the wild.
  • Intergenerational bonds are broken when individuals are sold or traded to other zoos.
  • Baby animals bring in visitors and money, but this incentive to breed new baby animals leads to overpopulation. Surplus animals are sold not only to other zoos, but also to circuses and hunting facilities.6 Some zoos simply kill their surplus animals outright.7
  • The vast majority of captive breeding programs do not release animals back into the wild.8 The offspring are forever part of the chain of zoos, circuses, petting zoos, and the exotic pet trade that buys, sells, barters, and generally exploits animals.

So you support government regulation of this market? 🤣

Free market…

All a bunch of bs if you ask me.

For example, eating dead cows or chickens is perfectly acceptable, but god forbid someone eats a dead dolphin or horse.

For example, eating dead cows or chickens is perfectly acceptable, but god forbid someone eats a dead dolphin or horse.

Are the consumption of dolphins and horses regulated?

Nothing in the Constitution says anything about cloned humans.

Is a human clone somehow not covered under all men are created equal?

In a nut shell. If it has eyes, you’re not suppose to eat it. …… so I’ve heard lol.

So how would you propose discouraging this activity?
Again. You have this strange notion I’m against this activity. Meh

If you haven't heard, Colossal Biosciences is a biotech company trying to bring back to life extinct species.

They have plans to resurrect the Woolly Mammoth, Tasmanian tiger, and the dodo.

First, this is a colossal waste of money. I am not sure what the point of bringing back extinct species is instead of protecting endangered species. What is the purpose? How does it benefit society in a positive way?

Secondly, it is highly unethical. Species like to dodo are extinct for a reason. They have no purpose in the ecosystem and could potentially cause a great disturbance to the ecological nature.

Some of these species haven't roamed the earth for over 3,000 years!

I think it is INSANE to try to play god or enact fantasies of creating a Jurrasic park!

So we don't have to worry about what the solar windmills are doing to the whales.

Actually humans were grafting plants 6000 years ago.

Yes. I don't often agree with you, but I'm not a denialist when it comes to the benefits of genetic engineering. I think the consumer should be informed, and I think genetic engineers should be liable if their product causes illness or genetic damage in consumers. But I consider the risk low enough that it's not necessary for new breeds to go through FDA testing like medicines.

Breeding of bulldogs, and Scottish folds, is inhumane and terrible.

OK, so sometimes it is inhumane and terrible. But is animal breeding in general "playing God" and therefore wrong?

You mixed them all up in your OP, and you really need to explain what harm would be done by the re-introduction of the dodo. That bird can only survive in an ecosystem where there are no large predators, and no egg-eating reptiles or mammals. That only applies on a few Pacific islands, so any fears about dodos "overbreeding" to the detriment of other species are ill-founded.

Furthermore, I expect dodos are delicious. Why do you hate private enterprise?

Aside from the bird looking exotic, what is the purpose of bringing back the dodo?

They aren't playing God they are playing politician.

Current news cycle, Whales wash up on beach - De-Extinction group suddenly emerges.

Aside from the bird looking exotic, what is the purpose of bringing back the dodo?

In a free market, why is your opinion of “purpose” relevant?

Back
Top Bottom