• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Why do we have an Army?

GoNavy

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
What is the fundamental purpose of an Army? Let's answer this question HISTORICALLY. Not the 'Murica definition.

In warfare, the Army's purpose was to invade other lands, to expand one's borders, and absorb their resources. OR, the only other purpose was to STOP someone ELSE from doing that to you. It's pretty much that simple.

OK. Fast forward to the 20th Century and the Geneva Convention. With some exceptions (Africa, Indo China ... maybe the Balkans ... and the 'stan countries), the map of the known world will PROBABLY not change that much. We are all globally connected in commerce, politics, and the media. So ... let us focus on my actual query (by putting aside the rest of the world, because maybe borders will continue to shift in other continents ... but let's just focus on 'Murica).

Ok - so we are at the economic pinnacle of the world. $18T !! annual GDP. Which means we have to do everything right. Tip toe on egg shells. That's who we are at the moment. Don't offend anyone ... come running to the rescue ... offer international aid, etc.

SO. How has that Global War on Terror gone? I happen to know. I served 8 years. Has ANYTHING changed? Yes ... details in Iraq ... details in Syria ... details in Afghanistan and Pakistan ... blah blah blah. Just details. But has anything REALLY changed?

So ... if we decide to learn that occupying someone else's land does NOT accomplish ANYTHING if you are waging an ideological war ... then - (query) -

Why do we have an army?

We are situated between the two largest oceans in the world. We have satellites, radar, sonar, Google Maps, the strongest Navy by FAR !! We have a wall in our southern border, we have Border Patrol, National Guard, CIA, Special Forces, Homeland Security, National Intelligence, NRO, NSA ... an on and on and on.

AND ... here's the kicker ... our country has over 270 MILLION firearms (estimate). We have an army RIGHT HERE. U.S. populace.

What do you guys say? Can we massively !! scale-down our Army?

Why do we have an army? Cuz not everyone can be in the navy.

What is the fundamental purpose of an Army? Let's answer this question HISTORICALLY. Not the 'Murica definition.

In warfare, the Army's purpose was to invade other lands, to expand one's borders, and absorb their resources. OR, the only other purpose was to STOP someone ELSE from doing that to you. It's pretty much that simple.

OK. Fast forward to the 20th Century and the Geneva Convention. With some exceptions (Africa, Indo China ... maybe the Balkans ... and the 'stan countries), the map of the known world will PROBABLY not change that much. We are all globally connected in commerce, politics, and the media. So ... let us focus on my actual query (by putting aside the rest of the world, because maybe borders will continue to shift in other continents ... but let's just focus on 'Murica).

Ok - so we are at the economic pinnacle of the world. $18T !! annual GDP. Which means we have to do everything right. Tip toe on egg shells. That's who we are at the moment. Don't offend anyone ... come running to the rescue ... offer international aid, etc.

SO. How has that Global War on Terror gone? I happen to know. I served 8 years. Has ANYTHING changed? Yes ... details in Iraq ... details in Syria ... details in Afghanistan and Pakistan ... blah blah blah. Just details. But has anything REALLY changed?

So ... if we decide to learn that occupying someone else's land does NOT accomplish ANYTHING if you are waging an ideological war ... then - (query) -

Why do we have an army?

We are situated between the two largest oceans in the world. We have satellites, radar, sonar, Google Maps, the strongest Navy by FAR !! We have a wall in our southern border, we have Border Patrol, National Guard, CIA, Special Forces, Homeland Security, National Intelligence, NRO, NSA ... an on and on and on.

AND ... here's the kicker ... our country has over 270 MILLION firearms (estimate). We have an army RIGHT HERE. U.S. populace.

We have one because it looks good on paper and is a great place to stash money.

Actually, it was the War of 1812 that solidified our army. We don't have the draft anymore and the way things have been goin, we've needed a lot of guys ready to go at any time.

Why do we have an army? Cuz not everyone can be in the navy.

And BOOM goes the dynamite.

You know....the marines are a dept of the Navy.

The men's department.

We have an army, because, without one, we become increasingly irrelevant. Period.

Why do we have an army?

Cause that's always worked so well, right? After all, in the 1930s we thought the oceans would keep us safe. That's why we didn't get involved in World War Two, right?

Oh, wait.....:roll:

It's naive to think the United States isn't going to need ground forces.

Why do we have an army?

Not many want to join the Air force.

Why do we have an army?

It's almost like this thread was tailor-made for my fellow Navy vets! But yeah, we still gotta have an army. Why? Because (and I hate using a comic book as a source) "with great power comes great responsibility". Nobody else can do what we do. That may change as the decades pass, but for now, the only real guarantor of freedom from communist or Russian hegemony is...US. Which means that if the crap does hit the fan, the only army capable of defeating any other army can still be gotten there by the only other services on the planet (the Navy and the Air Force) capable of getting it there in numbers great enough to make a difference.

Why do we have an army?

One of the best ways to prevent war is to be ready for it. The Army needs to be rebuilt, with the best weapons and more importantly the best technology. And the pay should be doubled to attract quality people who want a career.

And BOOM goes the dynamite.

You know....the marines are a dept of the Navy.

The men's department.

Do you know why there are marines? Because some one needs to drop the soap...

I'd rather have an army and not need it than need one and not have one.

There is an old Latin proverb: Si vis pacem para bellum. Translation: Let he who desires peace prepare for war. In the modern world, the sea, and pretty much any other natural land barrier, isn't as important a defense measure as it was in previous centuries. While there is peace between the world's greatest powers right now, that can change very quickly. Further, NATO's influence greatly depends on the US' military strength. Without a strong NATO, and more specifically without a strong US, countries like Russia and China would seek to annex the smaller nations around them. Finally, does anyone think that military intervention by NATO wouldn't be justified in the event that North Korea, ISIS, Saudi Arabia, or another nation similarly led by lunatics, got their hands on a nuclear weapon? A strong military is an integral part of maintaining a sovereign nation.

Why do we have an army?

Our army has expanded rapidly since the civil war, even though we are downsizing, we are vastly above what the founders planned. The original idea was to have a very small standing army, and the rest of our military in regular and irregular militia. This meant we had a standing army ready for threats which would buy time for the militia or the bulk of the force to be activated.

Since the civil war, the standing army has grown alot, and has spent more time on foreign policy and economic adventures than actually defending the homeland. Heck texas has it's own militia because during ww2 the national guard who was tasked with defending the homefront was almost all deployed overseas, and they realized they needed something to defend the homefront.

Why do we have an army?

[SARC]We need the Army as a modern-day WPA (We Piddle Around)[/SARC]

Why do we have an army?

WE have an army so that we can blow things up and kill people. Both good reasons for having one, given the world in which we live.

One of the best ways to prevent war is to be ready for it. The Army needs to be rebuilt, with the best weapons and more importantly the best technology. And the pay should be doubled to attract quality people who want a career.

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

I'd rather have an army and not need it than need one and not have one.

Do you realize what a poorly thought out statement that is? The argument that "I'd rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it" applies to EVERYTHING, and says NOTHING. It is a sign of a weak argument because it allows one to justify anything if the mind is weak enough to accept it.

Examples: "I would rather have a ____________________ and not need it, than than need one and not have one."

I would rather have a gatling gun and not need it, than than need one and not have one.

I would rather have cancer and not need it, than than need it and not have it.

I would rather have an atomic weapon and not need it, than than need one and not have one.

I would rather have an elephant and not need it, than than need one and not have one.

I would rather have a home in Africa and not need it, than than need one and not have one.

I would rather have a blue hat with a yellow feather and not need it, than than need one and not have one.

I would rather have a Boeing 747 and not need it, than than need one and not have one.

You said NOTHING. This is why people should be careful what they believe. But then, I guess I would rather have a weak argument and not need it, than than need one and not have one.

Do you realize what a poorly thought out statement that is? The argument that "I'd rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it" applies to EVERYTHING, and says NOTHING. It is a sign of a weak argument because it allows one to justify anything if the mind is weak enough to accept it.

Examples: "I would rather have a ____________________ and not need it, than than need one and not have one."

I would rather have a gatling gun and not need it, than than need one and not have one.

I would rather have cancer and not need it, than than need it and not have it.

I would rather have an atomic weapon and not need it, than than need one and not have one.

I would rather have an elephant and not need it, than than need one and not have one.

I would rather have a home in Africa and not need it, than than need one and not have one.

I would rather have a blue hat with a yellow feather and not need it, than than need one and not have one.

I would rather have a Boeing 747 and not need it, than than need one and not have one.

You said NOTHING. This is why people should be careful what they believe. But then, I guess I would rather have a weak argument and not need it, than than need one and not have one.

What's your point? Do you honestly believe in this day and age a country can survive without an army?

Why do we have an army?

Certainly the size of the US forces is much higher than the use of them would demand.

And yes, the west has sucessfully conquered every bit of the world where we have not invaded and bombed them or their fellows.

Where we do invade we seem to utterly fail. I think it has more to do with having an army (and the rest) that is 100% focused on fighting WWIII. Given the scary nature of that war that never happened, thank FK, that is understandable.

The real reason you have such huge forces is that lots of people get lots of money from the defence budget.

"Why do we have an Army?"

To win wars. Of course we have to recognize that we are in a war and then we need to use the Army in a way that allows them to win the war. We stopped doing the latter in the Vietnam conflict.

Why do we have an army?

No, we cannot.

Why do you oppose helping others who are being targeted and destroyed by a vicious enemy?

Turning your back on your neighbor when you have the capacity to help is an act of vile cowardice.

What's your point? Do you honestly believe in this day and age a country can survive without an army?

You mean like Japan...

And no, the JSDF does not count.

You mean like Japan...

And no, the JSDF does not count.

Yeah, because Japan has a massive patron(the United States) which can provide more than enough support and protection.

There's nobody to do that for us

Back
Top Bottom