• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Why do topics that have nothing to do with politics become political?

herenow1

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Now I realize this is a political forum, but not all of the forums are topics about politics. I've noticed the trend on forums like this. People make up hyperbole arguments surrounding hot topics just to spin it in their favor. There is not one news story that I've read here that didn't get spun into a political debate. Is it impossible for people to debate topics(mainly crime stories) without going off on a tangent about politics, or blaming parties?

In the age of the easily offended. Political slant is the easiest to throw out there and hardest to defend.
Makes many posters that dont know their ass from a hole in the ground look smarter.

Because everything can be used to score cheap political points.

Now I realize this is a political forum, but not all of the forums are topics about politics. I've noticed the trend on forums like this. People make up hyperbole arguments surrounding hot topics just to spin it in their favor. There is not one news story that I've read here that didn't get spun into a political debate. Is it impossible for people to debate topics(mainly crime stories) without going off on a tangent about politics, or blaming parties?

It's usually a sign of extreme stupidity and brainwashing. Some people like being told that some arbitrary force is to blame for all their woes in life. It lets them off the hook.

Ironically enough, I could spin this very slightly and make it sound like an indictment on religion.

Sometimes it is hackery. Other times, it is very much political, but frequently isn't framed as political by many people. For instance, something that might be labeled "common sense" is something that has a political meaning, but because it is accepted by most, they don't see it as political until someone starts critiquing it.

In short: Yes, it's impossible, especially on a political site.

I think when you mentioned hyperbole, you nailed it on the head. Partisans look for any excuse to turn something into an "us against them" fest.

In a country overrun with colonizing foreigners, a rapidly disintegrating culture and a desperate, unhappy populace enraged by all that they see around them, everything is political.

Back
Top Bottom