• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Why do they seem so determined to also make it racial?

On a side note, why do you keep bringing up Trayvon's height? What does that have to do with anything?

Two reasons:

1. Because we need context. We can't pretend that Martin was a 5' female being followed in a downtown parking lot in the middle of the night. Under such context, preemptive defense might be justified. However, a full grown male at 7pm in a middle-class neighborhood, surrounded by people eating supper in their homes, has no such justification.

2. Even in ones own neighborhood, following a female or small child might be questionable because such are not likely to be a threat. Following a full grown male stranger, however, is being a concerned neighbor.

Because we need context. We can't pretend that Martin was a 5' female being followed in a downtown parking lot in the middle of the night. Under such context, preemptive defense might be justified. However, a full grown male at 7pm in a middle-class neighborhood, surrounded by people eating supper in their homes, has no such justification.
Ahh. Then you might as well say he was black too. Just say the 6' black man was being followed in a downtown parking lot.

In other words, you're trying to change the scope of the argument when you add your "context". We have 8th grade students who are 6' tall, are you saying it's okay to shoot them as well if they are in your neighborhood at 7 pm?

2. Even in ones own neighborhood, following a female or small child might be questionable because such are not likely to be a threat. Following a full grown male stranger, however, is being a concerned neighbor.
What made Trayvon Martin a "likely" threat? The fact he was 6' tall? Was he the only 6' tall person in the community? Because he was a stranger?

Ahh. Then you might as well say he was black too. Just say the 6' black man was being followed in a downtown parking lot.

It has nothing to do with being black. A full grown male in a neighborhood at 7pm has no reason to fear being followed. A female, in different context, would be another thing.

In other words, you're trying to change the scope of the argument when you add your "context". We have 8th grade students who are 6' tall, are you saying it's okay to shoot them as well if they are in your neighborhood at 7 pm?

It's ok to shoot 6' male that attacks you, age is not relevant - only their ability to do harm is.

It has nothing to do with being black.
And it has nothing to do with being 6' either. That's the point I'm making.

It's ok to shoot 6' male that attacks you, age is not relevant - only their ability to do harm is.
No, it's not okay. It may be legal, it may be your only recourse, but it still isn't okay. You still were the one following and killing the black child (see, I can use "context" as well, regardless of how relevant it is).

And it has nothing to do with being 6' either. That's the point I'm making.

Drop context all you want, it just makes your argument look desperate and detached from reality.

It may be legal, it may be your only recourse, but it still isn't okay.

Of course it's ok. There's nothing wrong with following a full grown male in ones own neighborhood to ascertain his intentions. And there's nothing wrong with shooting someone who attacks you.

Drop context all you want, it just makes your argument look desperate and detached from reality.
That's exactly my point with you bringing up Martin being 6', it makes your argument look desperate and detached from reality. It has nothing to do with anything. Are you saying Zimmerman would have said, "oh, he's only 5'11", nevermind"?

Of course it's ok.
No, it's not okay. It's not okay to kill another civilian, even if it is justifiable in the eyes of the law.

That's exactly my point with you bringing up Martin being 6', it makes your argument look desperate and detached from reality. It has nothing to do with anything. Are you saying Zimmerman would have said, "oh, he's only 5'11", nevermind"?

His height is important in two ways. It makes Z's following him not creepy and it makes Z's use of force justified.

No, it's not okay. It's not okay to kill another civilian, even if it is justifiable in the eyes of the law.

It's perfectly ok to shoot someone who attacks you.

His height is important in two ways. It makes Z's following him not creepy and it makes Z's use of force justified.
Then his skin color and age are every bit as important, as Zimmerman followed a black child through the community and then shot him. That DOES make him sound creepy.

Instead of introducing information irrelevant to the situation, let's just discuss facts. Zimmerman followed Martin and Zimmerman shot Martin after an altercation Zimmerman alleges Martin started. Those are the facts.

It's perfectly ok to shoot someone who attacks you.
No, it's not. It amazes me how little regard for human life you seem to have. It scares me, actually, that people can be so unconcerned with human life.

Then his skin color and age are every bit as important,

Not at all.

It amazes me how little regard for human life you seem to have. It scares me, actually, that people can be so unconcerned with human life.

Spare me.

Not at all.
Of course not, because those add the context you're not interested in. His height has as much to do with this situation as his skin color and age. Actually, it probably has less to do with it. After all, wasn't it Zimmerman himself who said there had been burglaries committed by black suspects and that's one of the reasons he was suspicious?

Spare me.
Not as long as you are happily blowing "mother f***ers" away.

What made Trayvon Martin a "likely" threat? The fact he was 6' tall? Was he the only 6' tall person in the community? Because he was a stranger?

Then his skin color and age are every bit as important, as Zimmerman followed a black child through the community and then shot him. That DOES make him sound creepy.

Instead of introducing information irrelevant to the situation, let's just discuss facts. Zimmerman followed Martin and Zimmerman shot Martin after an altercation Zimmerman alleges Martin started. Those are the facts.

No, it's not. It amazes me how little regard for human life you seem to have. It scares me, actually, that people can be so unconcerned with human life.

I knew it was only a matter of time before you would bring race into your discussion with Ecofarm. IDT your emotions regarding the case has much to do with the death of TM...more like your leftist ideology and PC was shot down by GZ's acquittal. That's why your so upset. Or do you get upset over each and every person whose killed by someone defending themselves?

OMT... referring to TM as a CHILD is ridiculous and and you know it! This is obviously used by you and your pals to make the case look worse than it was. He was an adolescent, young man, youth, or teenager. Take your pick. But definitely no child. By definition: Child- a young human being between birth and puberty

Do you work at NBC... or just love their biased reporting?

I knew it was only a matter of time before you would bring race into your discussion with Ecofarm. IDT your emotions regarding the case has much to do with the death of TM...more like your leftist ideology and PC was shot down by GZ's acquittal. That's why your so upset. Or do you get upset over each and every person whose killed by someone defending themselves?
:lamo

Go back and read my posts and you'll see I have said many times race should not have been an element of Zimmerman's trial/story. My point was that introducing irrelevant information under the guise of "context" can have a prejudicial effect on a discussion which should simply be about facts.

So take your "leftist ideology and PC" nonsense some place else, because if you would bother to read this thread in its entirety, you'd see I wasn't making this about race at all.

OMT... referring to TM as a CHILD is ridiculous and and you know it!
It's prejudicial. I totally agree. That was my point, which seems to have flown way over your head.

This is obviously used by you and your pals to make the case look worse than it was.
My pals? What pals?

He was an adolescent, young man, youth, or teenager. Take your pick. But definitely no child. By definition: Child- a young human being between birth and puberty

Do you work at NBC... or just love their biased reporting?
Actually, I work some place in which reading comprehension is a requirement. Where do you work?

Last edited:
Actually, I work some place in which reading comprehension is a requirement. Where do you work?

I own a business... my employees work for me. My comprehension is fine thank you. However, I think your perception of the wwwww&h of the TM/GZ case is somewhat skewed to fit your PC. That's my perception.

I own a business... my employees work for me. My comprehension is fine thank you. However, I think your perception of the wwwww&h of the TM/GZ case is somewhat skewed to fit your PC. That's my perception.
You own a business and you are either incapable of understanding my argument or unwilling to understand, even after I explained it to you and provided you the direction necessary to understand. Interesting...

You own a business and you are either incapable of understanding my argument or unwilling to understand, even after I explained it to you and provided you the direction necessary to understand. Interesting...

I clearly understand your message, especially your biased misrepresentation of facts.

Mr J. Spader wannabe, I'm also aware your feelings of inadequacy requires you get the last word... so you have my permission.

Bye now...

I clearly understand your message, especially your biased misrepresentation of facts.
No, you clearly do not if you think my posts had anything to do about race.

Back
Top Bottom