• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Why do some people assume we will go back to normal?

Bucky

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
We have entered the new normal. This isn't entirely a bad thing. Do some of you wonder why the stock market is at record highs? Our way of life has changed forever. There is no need for all these in-person business meetings when you can do it online/via an app just as efficiently.

Pretty much any business now needs an online presence and/or the ability to accept payments other than cash. Is this a bad thing?

While certainly, this has been a terrible shock to many, our economy may come out of it stronger than ever.

I think some things are definitely going to change. My employer announced its plans to bring people back into the office (some time in the Spring perhaps) and it includes a hybrid model that's going to have most workers be in a hybrid model where they come in a day or two per week. I had a feeling the return to work would essentially turn the company's properties into a WeWork mode (e.g. booking your workspace when you're in)l for its employees. I'm curious as to where my team will end up since we can all work remotely with no problem whatsoever; we've actually done really well in terms of productivity so full remote shouldn't be a problem.

This, of course, will have all sorts of impacts on how people make choices on where to live. I suspect those who left the city temporarily may now be reconsidering whether they have to come back. It will also impact all of the small businesses which relied on high foot traffic from office workers. I am curious to see how this will all pan out over the long run.

We have entered the new normal. This isn't entirely a bad thing. Do some of you wonder why the stock market is at record highs? Our way of life has changed forever. There is no need for all these in-person business meetings when you can do it online/via an app just as efficiently.

Pretty much any business now needs an online presence and/or the ability to accept payments other than cash. Is this a bad thing?

While certainly, this has been a terrible shock to many, our economy may come out of it stronger than ever.
What about commercial office buildings? The people that clean those buildings? Retail space? It's not going to be pretty.

How we, the US, adapts that might improve our socio-economic position in the world will tell how well we come out of this. There will no doubt be changes not user-friendly but also some that would have been an improvement had we done them before. Since we will undoubtedly face future pandemic of perhaps greater peril the bigger question is will we learn not to repeat the disastrous response to this virus but instead a much better response that saves lives, shortens the length of the ordeal, and has less economic sacrifice. Up until now we have not learned, and have not practiced, any better safe health procedure than in the 1918 pandemic (except medical procedure, etc., not known in 1918) and even with Biden in the WH with a national response plan vs Trump or Woodrow Wilson, I don't see human behavior that would indicate we will do much better next time around. The red state govs are still resistant to response guidelines as are 42% of the people to vaccination and close to that against guidelines. Who knows. Maybe 3rd time's a charm.

Only idiots believe we can go back sometimes to the pre-Corona time.
After the forced vaccination most of humanity will die

Absolutely nothing has changed in my life, and I don’t wear a mask, never did.
Groceries at the grocery store, no one says a word to me about no mask, Walmart , no one says a word, Lowe’s, no one says a word.
Maybe I look mean and carry a gun?

Only idiots believe we can go back sometimes to the pre-Corona time.
After the forced vaccination most of humanity will die
I never left pre Scamdemic time, nothing changed accept the gullible wearing face diapers.

Humans are masters of adaptation. It's how we got this far.

i'm good with working from home whenever possible.

Groceries at the grocery store, no one says a word to me about no mask, Walmart , no one says a word, Lowe’s, no one says a word.

What a sorry excuse of a post.

You can't live your life in fear! If a gun makes you feel better at Walmart then I guess bring it.

And you wonder why there can be no dialog between the left and right this thread is a good example.

Those righties are crazy!

Not believing you on this.

Both Walmart and Lowe's have mask required policies.

Maybe you live in a place that is lacking any sense?

Whenever I'm in a large retail store and encounter people without masks, I simply ask to speak to the manager. I tell them that if they don't enforce their own mask regulations, then I can't shop there anymore, I'll make sure my family and friends know it, and I'll post it on Yelp. I've had two people apologize and put their masks on, and had one person removed. The management of a large chain will never risk the bad publicity of non-compliance because their corporate offices will replace them if they do.

Question: If the government can mandate mask wearing, can it also outlaw mask wearing?

I believe mask wearing will fade away when people realize they can't live the rest of their lives being afraid of a nasty flu-like virus. Masks won't be outlawed of course but they won't be mandated by the government. Politicians have to get elected after all and the Dominion voting machines can only do so much before the cheating becomes obvious.

Question: If the government can mandate mask wearing, can it also outlaw mask wearing?

I believe mask wearing will fade away when people realize they can't live the rest of their lives being afraid of a nasty flu-like virus. Masks won't be outlawed of course but they won't be mandated by the government. Politicians have to get elected after all and the Dominion voting machines can only do so much before the cheating becomes obvious.

Mandating mask wearing is only required until the pandemic is behind us. Nobody expects it to last "the rest of their lives".

Mandating mask wearing is only required until the pandemic is behind us. Nobody expects it to last "the rest of their lives".

Who's going to decide when the pandemic is over, Mario Cuomo?

i bet people said the same thing after every pandemic.

then, ever so gradually, people understand that they can win more business when they are face to face or wining and dining or smiling and shaking hands.

Back
Top Bottom