• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Why do some DP theists always choose willful ignorance?

Dragonfly

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
When it comes to “atheism“ and/or “atheist”, why do some theists at DP constantly and repeatedly chose willful ignorance over facts?

We’ve explained hundreds of times what the basic definition of those words mean, yet every new thread reveals undeniable willful ignorance from theists.

There’s been entire threads devoted to definitions.
It’s been stated hundreds of times, in hundreds of threads. Often to the exact same theists.

Yet some theists here still chose to get it WRONG in every damn thread that’s created.

Why?

As a theist, why can’t you accept a basic and simple definition?
Why chose willful ignorance when presented with facts and definitions?
Especially when it’s information and definitions coming from actual atheists?

Why is it so difficult to accept a very simple concept?
It’s a verifiable fact that the majority of people on planet Earth don’t believe in the “god” YOU believe in.
So why is it so hard to understand that some people don’t believe in any god at all?

Why do you willfully chose to ignore what you’re told?
Also, why do you chose to make up ridiculous nonsense to support your willful ignorance?
For example, “Russia/Putin is a perfect representation of atheistic ideology.“

Is this how organized religion trains one to think?

When it comes to “atheism“ and/or “atheist”, why do some theists at DP constantly and repeatedly chose willful ignorance over facts?

We’ve explained hundreds of times what the basic definition of those words mean, yet every new thread reveals undeniable willful ignorance from theists.

It’s been stated hundreds of times, in hundreds of threads. Often to the exact same theists.

Yet some theists here still chose to get it WRONG in every damn thread that’s created.

Why?

It’s a verifiable fact that the majority of people on planet Earth don’t believe in the “god” YOU believe in.
So why is it so hard to understand that some people don’t believe in any god at all?

Also, why do you chose to make up ridiculous nonsense to support your willful ignorance?

I will if you will...:sneaky:

What is the true meaning of Christian?
Christian
1 : a person who believes in Jesus Christ and follows his teachings.
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/Christian

I can only think that some people think that they are Special and/or They can't accept the fact that they (horrible thought)
will not be in existence someday.

Hey, I'd like to live forever but it's-not-to-be.

Critical thinking and religious belief are mortal enemies. Organized religion does not train one to think. It hypnotizes one to unquestionably accept by preying on people's weaknesses and instilling fear of disobedience. For believers to confront any falsehood in their dogma means all of what they believe is false, that they will die and not spend eternity in a paradise in the company of their god, and that their god does not exist. It would shatter them.

I can only think that some people think that they are Special and/or They can't accept the fact that they (horrible thought)
will not be in existence someday.

Hey, I'd like to live forever but it's-not-to-be.
That does not explain why some theists can’t, or won’t, accept and/or understand what the words atheist or atheism mean.

As usual, you ignore and deflect from any kind of actual, or intellectual answer.
Uh huh...perhaps the no true Scotsman is true of atheists, as well...

I will if you will...:sneaky:

What is the true meaning of Christian?
Christian
1 : a person who believes in Jesus Christ and follows his teachings.
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/Christian

OK, so you clearly see and accept that there are differences among theists. Why not do the same for atheists?

Being an atheist in no way limits your freedom to choose and practice any religion. If it’s OK to accept (believe?) that there is one true God (among many) then why is it not OK to do not accept (believe?) that there is no true God?

so you clearly see and accept that there are differences among theists.
lol...is that what you got from my post? Clearly, you didn't get it...

lol...is that what you got from my post? Clearly, you didn't get it...

You addressed one of many religions (theist groups). My point was that there are more than one group which can be considered atheist (or infidel) - not believing in your version of God and the NT Bible.

Why?

If I may - it seems the point you're trying to make has not to do with a definition, but rather with a concept:

Is this the point you're trying to make - that conceptually, "the majority of people on planet Earth don't believe in the "god" YOU believe in" and that for some unknown reason, you have difficulty grasping why it's so difficult for some to believe or accept this fact? Is this your point?

If I may - it seems the point you're trying to make has not to do with a definition, but rather with a concept:

Is this the point you're trying to make - that conceptually, "the majority of people on planet Earth don't believe in the "god" YOU believe in" and that for some unknown reason, you have difficulty grasping why it's so difficult for some to believe or accept this fact? Is this your point?
No.

I see theists repeatedly ignoring the most basic definition of what atheism is, and/or what atheists are.

Do you know what the word “atheist” means?

No.

I see theists repeatedly ignoring the most basic definition of what atheism is, and/or what atheists are.

I see atheists ignoring the most basic definition of what Christianity is...and?

Critical thinking and religious belief are mortal enemies. Organized religion does not train one to think. It hypnotizes one to unquestionably accept by preying on people's weaknesses and instilling fear of disobedience. For believers to confront any falsehood in their dogma means all of what they believe is false, that they will die and not spend eternity in a paradise in the company of their god, and that their god does not exist. It would shatter them.
Oh this is stereotyping and borders on the promotion of bigotry. Sex and critical thinking are probably closer to the true mortal enemies - for about ten minutes before and after orgasm. The good news is that we are not made as a species to engage in critical thinking every minute of our lives . We get to pick when we analyse, and when we don't, when we reason and when we don't, when we suck face, rip off someone's clothes, and when we don't. We also get to choose when or if we want to pray or read scripture. Many of the great thinkers and creators in science, philosophy, mathematics, and the arts etc were actually theist minds.

Hyperbole is not the ally of the critical thinking non-theist.

Start your own thread.
e03fec0c483b042277b9c12f46f3ffd1.jpg

apparently you do…or you wouldn’t be posting here
Apparently you do...you're the one who started a thread whining about it, not me...

No.

I'm just asking - your OP being rather rambling, I'm trying to clarify what your point was so as not to misunderstand.

And yes, I know what "atheist" means - at least the dictionary definitions, both contemporary and in antiquity. And yes, I've also heard many, many different, often conflicting variations of the definition - from those who self-identify as "atheist," - definitions usually modified to "fit" the discussion or issue at hand.

While our "ignorance" of the word seems to cause you such consternation, you can imagine ours - with so many different versions that we're supposed to accept while at the same time somehow meld them into one overarching definition (which few atheists seem themselves to accept) to be "not ignorant."

I'm just asking - your OP being rather rambling, I'm trying to clarify what your point was so as not to misunderstand.

And yes, I know what "atheist" means - at least the dictionary definitions, both contemporary and in antiquity. And yes, I've also heard many, many different, often conflicting variations of the definition - from those who self-identify as "atheist," - definitions usually modified to "fit" the discussion or issue at hand.

While our "ignorance" of the word seems to cause you such consternation, you can imagine ours - with so many different versions that we're supposed to accept while at the same time somehow meld them into one overarching definition (which few atheists seem themselves to accept) to be "not ignorant."
Do tell, what different definitions have you heard?

Back
Top Bottom