• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Why do so many hate guns/constitution?

Bucky

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
What people hate is senseless death and violence, they just misdiagnose the cause.

Hearts are in the right place, but the solutions are complicated.

You can be pro Constitution and second amendment, yet realize that a deadly weapon in the wrong hands is not a good idea.

I think the really funny thing is that a lot of the people who want to ban guns will also be quick to post an article where a police officer shot someone without cause.
So, basically, they want the corrupt only to have the guns....

It would probably help if our leadership suggested solutions that would have actually prevented the situations that start the cry for gun control to begin with...

I am simply trying to understand the rational to banning guns. How does it make us more safe?

Because then you might not be able to kill both yourselves each other in such large numbers every year perhaps ?

Just like what happens in the rest of the developed world

Attachments

• GunViolence-620x445.jpg
    GunViolence-620x445.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 163
They don't hate guns or the Constitution. They hate people and assume that everyone except for themselves is totally untrustworthy. Because of that fundamental belief they figure that more government control is the only way to create a safe environment. If you want to know how they figure a government made up of people (who are all inherently untrustworthy) can suddenly become the sole mechanism to provide security you'll have to ask them because I can't do that kind of "logic".

How about researching some of the MANY threads on the exact same subject?

You can be pro Constitution and second amendment, yet realize that a deadly weapon in the wrong hands is not a good idea.

You can argue any weapon that isn't a gun in the wrong hands is not a good idea.

If guns were banned the economy could potentially collapse imo. The real issue is regarding treating the mentally ill and lifting those out of poverty.

You can argue any weapon that isn't a gun in the wrong hands is not a good idea.

If guns were banned the economy could potentially collapse imo. The real issue is regarding treating the mentally ill and lifting those out of poverty.

Your title,
Why do so many hate guns/constitution?

my argument against it.

Roughly 1/4 in America believes that non policemen/authorized person should be able to carry a handgun. This idea clearly goes against the constitution and supports a police-state. I am simply trying to understand the rational to banning guns. How does it make us more safe?

View attachment 67199972

Most Americans Agree With Obama That More Gun Buyers Should Get Background Checks | FiveThirtyEight

The theory goes that idiots won't have a gun to shoot you with and the citizen won't be able to defend freedom if an administration decided to act to grab it.

Because then you might not be able to kill both yourselves each other in such large numbers every year perhaps ?

Just like what happens in the rest of the developed world

Like some health numbers the others are behind the ball. Take obesity, where Europe is playing catch up. That causes illness and death. The consequences are in the American numbers now. Same with slums and murder.
That won't be the whole problem, but it is almost certainly more important a factor than the number of guns.

I am wondering if anyone on this forum supports a nation-wide ban on handguns? 27% is not a fringe minority.

Like some health numbers the others are behind the ball. Take obesity, where Europe is playing catch up. That causes illness and death. The consequences are in the American numbers now. Same with slums and murder.
That won't be the whole problem, but it is almost certainly more important a factor than the number of guns.

How many people deliberately kill each other with obesity ?

Roughly 1/4 in America believes that non policemen/authorized person should be able to carry a handgun. This idea clearly goes against the constitution and supports a police-state. I am simply trying to understand the rational to banning guns. How does it make us more safe?

Most Americans Agree With Obama That More Gun Buyers Should Get Background Checks | FiveThirtyEight

Huh? Are you looking at a poll showing that more gun buyers should get background checks and somehow equating that with a desire to ban guns?

View attachment 67199972

I don't want to get too off topic here, but dont you feel it's a bit hypocritical of you to be accusing others of proposing a police state whilst you advocate rounding up Muslims and putting them into camps?

I don't want to get too off topic here, but dont you feel it's a bit hypocritical of you to be accusing others of proposing a police state whilst you advocate rounding up Muslims and putting them into camps?

I never advocated anything like that. I simply proposed the idea of it being feasible but I'd rather not get off topic.

Huh? Are you looking at a poll showing that more gun buyers should get background checks and somehow equating that with a desire to ban guns?

It was in a specific part of the article:

No major party or official is calling for a total handgun ban today, but even some more limited measures that once enjoyed broad support now bitterly divide voters. From just before the assault-weapon ban was enacted in 1994 until soon after its expiration in 2004, it consistently drew support of 60 percent of Americans or more. Lately, though, its popularity has declined — so much so that more Americans opposed it than supported it in two December polls.

Trouble is, the only deadly weapon they want banned are guns.

Roughly 1/4 in America believes that non policemen/authorized person should be able to carry a handgun. This idea clearly goes against the constitution
How so? I'm pretty certain the Constitution protects the right to freedom of speech and thus, protects the right to an opinion.

If you don't think people should be allowed to believe what they want, I would argue you are the one who is clearly going against the Constitution.
I'm pretty certain most people who want stronger gun control don't believe grenades or rocket launchers (as examples) should be easily obtained either.

Do you have evidence to the contrary?

I am wondering if anyone on this forum supports a nation-wide ban on handguns? 27% is not a fringe minority.

I use to classify myself as one who wanted to ban handguns for private citizens. I even wrote my first DP post on that very topic, but I no longer put myself in that camp. The primary issue with a handgun ban (apart from its constitutionality and feasability in the implementation) is the fact that technology advances so quickly as to make any ban on handguns almost pointless. In actuality, the primary issue that I and others have with handguns is that they are small, easily concealable, easy to manipulate, and deadly - all of which helps to explain why they are most used in criminal activities or by children in accidental shootings. With that said, if you tried to ban handguns, you would inevitably miss some models that are also small, easy to manipulate, etc. and then you have the problem that technology could likely create something like lethal handheld microwave/laser type weapons in the near future. So you would constantly be chasing a shifting problem.

I put my support behind the license to purchase system.

Are you sure? I think a butcher knife (ax, bow and arrow, poison, car) in the wrong hands is just as bad.

How so? I'm pretty certain the Constitution protects the right to freedom of speech and thus, protects the right to an opinion.

If you don't think people should be allowed to believe what they want, I would argue you are the one who is clearly going against the Constitution.
I'm pretty certain most people who want stronger gun control don't believe grenades or rocket launchers (as examples) should be easily obtained either.

Do you have evidence to the contrary?

Your hands are the most commonly used deadly weapon. IIRC blunt items are next.

Yet no one calls for those to be banned.

Your hands are the most commonly used deadly weapon. IIRC blunt items are next.

Yet no one calls for those to be banned.
Yes, because people aren't stupid. Are you really equating hands, which are part of the human body, with an instrument whose intended purpose is to hurt or kill?

Also, you recall incorrectly. Guns responsible for more homicide than all other methods combined.

Again, please show me where people who want stronger gun control are okay with other instruments designed to hurt/kill being more freely accessible.

I never advocated anything like that. I simply proposed the idea of it being feasible but I'd rather not get off topic.

It was in a specific part of the article:

And the specific part you quoted said, "From just before the assault-weapon ban was enacted in 1994 until soon after its expiration in 2004, it consistently drew support of 60 percent of Americans or more. Lately, though, its popularity has declined — so much so that more Americans opposed it than supported it in two December polls."

This is not ALL guns, but only certain guns. But even then, as your reference pointed out, the opinion is swinging the other way. It's not a politically-viable battle anymore.

Back
Top Bottom