• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Why Do Poltergeists Slam Doors And Cabinets And Knock Things Off Shelves?

I was skeptical until I lived in a house that was indeed haunted.
I can relate. I have lived in two houses where what happened I can only accept that it was something unseen or unseeable to explain them all. So, before, I didn't believe in such a thing. Now... I'm still skeptical but will not deny that it is a possibility as there is no other explanation.

I believe that you believe that to have been so.
The house was/is haunted. Knocking on doors, walls, doors opening and closing by themselves. Multiple individuals witnessing it at the same time. It was ****ing weird.

The house was/is haunted. Knocking on doors, walls, doors opening and closing by themselves. Multiple individuals witnessing it at the same time. It was ****ing weird.

How could a spirit (non-physical) produce a knocking sound on wood or exert force on a door to move it?

How could a spirit (non-physical) produce a knocking sound on wood or exert force on a door to move it?
No idea. It however occurred multiple times. The individuals that lived in the house after me experienced the same phenomenon along with other things liike lights switches turning on and off with no one touching them and the distinct sound of people walking across the hardwood floors while no one else was in the house.

I've always wondered if "haunted" houses simply just have a carbon monoxide or other toxic problems that make people confused or hallucinate.

How do you know what they can and cannot do? Only the dead know what death is.

Attention whores.....

I've always wondered if "haunted" houses simply just have a carbon monoxide or other toxic problems that make people confused or hallucinate.
There was a story i once read about in an Uncle John's Bathroom Reader (can't remember the exact one) about a family in 1912 lived in a house and claimed hearing voices and seeing ghosts, issues which stopped when they spent significant time away from the house. It turned out to be carbon monoxide from a very leaky furnace which was causing their "issues".

No idea. It however occurred multiple times. The individuals that lived in the house after me experienced the same phenomenon along with other things liike lights switches turning on and off with no one touching them and the distinct sound of people walking across the hardwood floors while no one else was in the house.

Show my an explanation to these phenomena that doesn't violate the laws of physics.

The sound of footsteps on floorboards could only be produced by something with weight exerting force on them.

There was a story i once read about in an Uncle John's Bathroom Reader (can't remember the exact one) about a family in 1912 lived in a house and claimed hearing voices and seeing ghosts, issues which stopped when they spent significant time away from the house. It turned out to be carbon monoxide from a very leaky furnace which was causing their "issues".

Yep. Carbon monoxide can cause hallucinations and a feeling of dread.

A more likely explanation than ghosts or monsters or goblins.

Show my an explanation to these phenomena that doesn't violate the laws of physics.

The sound of footsteps on floorboards could only be produced by something with weight exerting force on them.
No clue what was causing the phenomenon. But it fit the definition of “haunted” The creepiest thing to me where the doors unlocking an opening by themselves.

It makes no sense to see the hundreds of videos of doors opening and closing and glasses being pushed off countertops. Either the "ghosts" are spoiled brats or asshole in-laws. I know this looks like I am making a joke but I'm not.

Hahahaha - that's a humorous question! I'm not making fun of it - I really find it humorous.
That's how poltergeists are supposed to be.

Well - I suppose, being poltergeists (which are said to be mischievous ghosts) - they want to scare people.
What better way than to slam doors to startle you?

Or people are just insane? Delusional? Lying maybe? All of the above?

Or people are just insane? Delusional? Lying maybe? All of the above?
The above could apply in some incidents, however if you personally experienced the phenomenon, (knocking on doors, walls, doors opening and closing by themselves) you wouldn't deem yourself delusional or insane.

They don't exist.

It makes no sense to see the hundreds of videos of doors opening and closing and glasses being pushed off countertops. Either the "ghosts" are spoiled brats or asshole in-laws. I know this looks like I am making a joke but I'm not.
Because they are secretly cats

They don't exist.
I'm on the fence. Something was knocking on doors, and unlocking and opening them and walking across the floors in a house that I lived in and it indeed wasn't human.

Poltergeists are actually the spirits of cats.

The above could apply in some incidents, however if you personally experienced the phenomenon, (knocking on doors, walls, doors opening and closing by themselves) you wouldn't deem yourself delusional or insane.
Yes, I probably would and seek psychiatric help. Unless it can be rationally explained like Scooby-Doo Doo mysteries.

So some are angry. Well, they must be horribly frustrated existing with no one around until a couple of people seek them out only to leave shortly after making contact. Also, why do they live in houses & businesses? Why not baseball stadiums where they can redirect home runs back into the infield?

Back
Top Bottom