• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Why do people want to have kids?

You clearly did not understand my original post, which I quoted to bring it into the current discussion. My links clearly support the claim that lower-IQ adults tend to have more children, lowering the overall IQ of the population. You took the assessment personally and have decided to argue it without logic based on your personal life, which I honestly don't care about. Are their exceptions to every rule? Yes. Are you one of them? Who the hell cares? It's a studied, proven, known phenomena. It isn't a personal slight, it's an observation.

there's a HUGE difference between "people with children have lower iqs".....and "people with lower iqs have more children".

there's a HUGE difference between "people with children have lower iqs".....and "people with lower iqs have more children".

I never said that everybody who has a child has a lower IQ. Not once. She assumed I did because she didn't know the reference or misunderstood what I said.

Omg, lady. You took a statement to be an absolute that was an observation from a friggin' movie. Then, you threw a hissy fit over it because you very obviously took it personally.

:lamo The fact that you seem to be basing a very important issue on a movie is rather amusing to me.

No, I won't drop it, because you did.

I did what? Get annoyed that you refused to quantify in obvious absolute statement? If you want to back peddle from your original position, fine by me.

And because you did, you've posted a crap load of broad assumptions that don't take away from the truth,

You accusing me of making broad assumptions? -That's rich. :roll:

and you've been on a personal attack for something like two weeks now.

Lies. Show me where I've personally attacked someone on this thread. please.

Graphs show that as population increase, IQ decreases. Graphs show that families with less children tend to have higher average IQs than families with more children. My links (and the references they cited) say that over and over again. You conveniently ignore or try to refute something for no apparent reason....at least no logical one.

You've conveniently ignored the fact that since over 80% of the human population reproduces, having children cannot be correlated to a low IQ. That is logic.

And really, who the hell cares? I made a comment about a movie and said I feel like it's evidenced in society today. You have been acting rapid ever since, feverishly trying to disprove something that I originally didn't take all that seriously.

If you say so.

But when you got all up in arms, resources were provided to you. Valid resources (I'm sorry you didn't feel like paying the $30 to access that study; I can access it free through my university library, perhaps you can too) were given which confirm a correllation between population increase and IQ decline.

I'm not sorry. How about you access it and post it here. Your source, your responsibility.

Yup, someone who doesn't have a bone in this totally writes a 3-page rant which can be summed up in "IQ tests don't matter anyway (no one said they did), you said parents are stupid (no I didn't, and it was actually a wanna-be parent who brought this up in the first place, not me), there are a few with women with degrees doing what I'm doing, see, I'm important! (no one ever said there wasn't, but I fail to see why this makes you important - by the way, since when does the word "correlation" mean the same thing as "lumping all parents into the stupid category?)."

Here you agree that IQ tests apparently don't even matter. interesting since your entire argument is based on them.

Um, no it wasn't.

Just pointing out how dishonest you're being.

How is that dishonest? did you even finish the rest of the sentence??

I'm saying that people who choose not to have kids often have higher IQs than the average. This would thus lend to the argument that those who choose to have kids have lower IQs on average than those who don't. ...so yeah, in a way. That said, I want kids...so I guess that tells you what category I fall into.

I beginning to think you're really not worth my time.

You denied that people who wait longer, or have fewer or no kids, generally have higher than average IQ's. I said you were wrong, and then provided evidence. At no point did I assign a value judgment to that. I was just pointing out that you're wrong. If you want to get into whether IQ is a meaningful metric, that's a whole 'nother debate, and one about which I have expressed no opinion.

It's dishonest because you claimed she is saying all parents are stupid, when ACTUALLY she was saying that SOME people who don't have kids have higher IQ's than average.

Stop squirreling around on this. Anyone who reads those quotes side-by-side, as they can do in the post I made above, can see that you're being dishonest.

You're trying to cast her as some sort of satanic anti-baby fire-breather when in reality not only is that not at all what she said, but she actually wants kids.

And yes, I did finish the sentence. In fact, I quote the entire sentence. And the sentences following it are irrelevant and don't counter anything that Tessa or I said. You're simply saying most people have kids. Yeah. So?

Last edited:
:lamo The fact that you seem to be basing a very important issue on a movie is rather amusing to me.

I did what? Get annoyed that you refused to quantify in obvious absolute statement? If you want to back peddle from your original position, fine by me.

You accusing me of making broad assumptions? -That's rich. :roll:

Lies. Show me where I've personally attacked someone on this thread. please.

You've conveniently ignored the fact that since over 80% of the human population reproduces, having children cannot be correlated to a low IQ. That is logic.

If you say so.

I'm not sorry. How about you access it and post it here. Your source, your responsibility.

Here you agree that IQ tests apparently don't even matter. interesting since your entire argument is based on them.

How is that dishonest? did you even finish the rest of the sentence??

I beginning to think you're really not worth my time.

"lend to the argument"....that's really all I have to say.

For the record, it would be illegal for me to post that study here.

Then why post it at all? Am I supposed to fork out $30 to read your source?

"lend to the argument"....that's really all I have to say.

Good. Glad to hear it.

You denied that people who wait longer, or have fewer or no kids, generally have higher than average IQ's. I said you were wrong, and then provided evidence. At no point did I assign a value judgment to that. I was just pointing out that you're wrong. If you want to get into whether IQ is a meaningful metric, that's a whole 'nother debate, and one about which I have expressed no opinion.

If it's not a meaningful metric, than IQ tests have no value whatsoever in your argument. I said that IQ tests have cultural bias. That is a proven fact. Therefore, you would need a test without a cultural bias to prove your argument. Good luck with that.

It's dishonest because you claimed she is saying all parents are stupid, when ACTUALLY she was saying that SOME people who don't have kids have higher IQ's than average.

Stop squirreling around on this. Anyone who reads those quotes side-by-side, as they can do in the post I made above, can see that you're being dishonest.

Don't try to turn this around on me. I've explained why your argument doesn't make sense, and instead of focusing on that, you keep focusing on me. Why is that?

You're trying to cast her as some sort of satanic anti-baby fire-breather when in reality not only is that not at all what she said, but she actually wants kids.

BS.

And yes, I did finish the sentence. In fact, I quote the entire sentence. And the sentences following it are irrelevant and don't counter anything that Tessa or I said. You're simply saying most people have kids. Yeah. So?

Are you even reading the same post as I am?

"I'm saying that people who choose not to have kids often have higher IQs than the average." Therefore: "This would thus lend to the argument that those who choose to have kids have lower IQs on average than those who don't. ...so yeah, in a way. "

People who choose not to have kids have higher IQs. People who choose to have kids have a lower IQ than those who do not.

Nope, that has not been conclusively proven. Not even close. First, IQ tests could not be culturally bias to make this assertion. Furthermore, one would need a much larger study group than less than 1500 people to represent over 80% of humanity. Lastly, 80% of humanity cannot have a lower than average intelligence. Here's my assertion: People who have kids have an average IQ. Simple enough.

I'm not turning anything. I posted Tessa's actual words right next to your completely dishonest actual words. People can make up their own minds.

...And now you're being dishonest again. You explicitly said Tessa claimed people with kids are less intelligent than average. Now you're saying you said no such thing. Again, everyone can see you're lying on the post I made earlier. Here's the link, for any interested readers:
http://www.debatepolitics.com/datin...-people-want-have-kids-23.html#post1059557381

And now you're desperately trying to argue irrelevance with no logic and no evidence, because you can't handle the imaginary blow to your self-esteem. Arguing against only yourself, based on a claim that was never even made because it's obviously illogical. Wow.

Last edited:
What are you talking about? I think you're just making things up as you go along and it's getting ridiculous. Unless you have something to add that doesn't include a personal attack, I'm going to assume you're done here. Have a nice weekend.

What are you talking about? I think you're just making things up as you go along and it's getting ridiculous. Unless you have something to add that doesn't include a personal attack, I'm going to assume you're done here. Have a nice weekend.

Lol, making up your own words in your own posts, huh? I didn't know I was capable of mind control, forcing you to black out and write things you claim to not remember, or never say, even though your post is right there, saying exactly what I quoted it as saying.

Yeah, I think we are. I'll wait for someone who doesn't let their personal bone get in the way of debating.

Last edited:
BENEFITS:
- None that I can think of?

I feel that it is my responsibility to do what I can to leave the world a better place than I found it.

Part of that will come from doing what I can with my own two hands.

Part of that will come from raising my kids to be good and decent people and then turning them loose on the world.

You're being silly. Please let us return to the topic of this thread. No one has proved that having kids equals a low-er intelligence, so move on.

That was never the claim. Again, with the debating a point that was never made.

I refuse to go in circles with you. There was an over generalization made about the intelligence of people have choose to have children. Period. No amount of denial will change that. No one can prove that people who have children have a lower IQ so I guess now all that is left for you is back peddling. Enjoy the scenery. :)

I refuse to go in circles with you. There was an over generalization made about the intelligence of people have choose to have children. Period. No amount of denial will change that. No one can prove that people who have children have a lower IQ so I guess now all that is left for you is back peddling. Enjoy the scenery. :)

No, there was a well-accepted correlative relationship between when, how, and if people go about having kids as relates to their education and IQ explained to you with mountains of evidence behind it. It has been proven over and over again and even the concept itself is so mundanely obvious that there is no reason other than your personal inability to accept it for arguing it.

No, I'm not going to let you make a claim that none of it ever happened. It did. You chose to ignore it, and then make up some completely different strawman so that you could defeat it, and then falsely equate it with the original claim. But the strawman you erected to allow you to shoot at it as some bizarre diversionary tactic is profoundly irrational, unlike the original claim.

Last edited:
we want children due to the fact of ' evolution'

to increase and to increase...

our instinct makes us to increase .

Last edited:
I've said it before, and I feel compelled to say it again: there is just nothing like having children. It is the most difficult, challenging, frustrating job that you'll ever love. To raise a child up into a decent adult human being is the most satisfying thing I've ever done. The love of parent and child is unique and like nothing else in life.

I don't understand people over 25 who don't feel this way, but to each his own.

I've said it before, and I feel compelled to say it again: there is just nothing like having children. It is the most difficult, challenging, frustrating job that you'll ever love. To raise a child up into a decent adult human being is the most satisfying thing I've ever done. The love of parent and child is unique and like nothing else in life.

I don't understand people over 25 who don't feel this way, but to each his own.

goshin i have not child but i want to have too like others and also i like children so much and whenever ı come across a baby anywhere ı cant help stoping and loving them .even if ı have nt got ,ı can understand your thouhgts and even experiences while raising a child.maybe some peopler dont like children but mostly it was permeated within our genetics and however hard it is difficult to deal with a child ,people feel deficient without them

I never understood the appeal of it, personally I hate kids.

As for all the "to continue our species" bulls**t, I say we all stop reproducing and extinct the human race. We're not that great and it would be like mother nature the finger. :)

That's true. I've read those studies.
One of the greatest indicators of whether or not people are happy is whether or not they have kids. People with kids are less happy in general than childless people.

Stress, probably. A mother is only as happy as her least happy child.

I disagree with you thought. Kids are so sweet. Think when you are kids....how much happiness you provide to your parents. According to me, kids are like as God. They are innocents....When you are moving or traveling or in hospital etc. & you are in tension or whatever, if there is any kids along with your fellow passengers, he makes all of you smile by doing funny activities...Didn't you face any moment like this?

Thanks & Regards
relationships advice

Back
Top Bottom