• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Why do people only complain about the cold?

calamity

Privileged
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
Every time I run into someone who moved here from Florida or Arizona, they whine about our cold weather. And, it's not like Southern Ohio is the Arctic either. We get a few days a year where T falls below zero, and countless bunches of them through winter where it's somewhere in the 40's. Hell, most years we don't even have ice on the ponds.

But, with all the whining I hear about cold, be it from locals who wish they were in Bermuda or transplants who just wish they were back home, I almost never hear anyone bitch about unbearable heat. If you ask me, this is much worse than 20 below.

Record-breaking heat scorches Southwest

Anyone know why cold seems to make grown men cry while heat just locks them happily away in an air conditioned room?

Every time I run into someone who moved here from Florida or Arizona, they whine about our cold weather. And, it's not like Southern Ohio is the Arctic either. We get a few days a year where T falls below zero, and countless bunches of them through winter where it's somewhere in the 40's. Hell, most years we don;t even have ice on the ponds.

But, with all the whining I hear about cold, be it from locals who wish they were in Bermuda or transplants who just wish they were back home, I almost never hear anyone bitch about unbearable heat. If you ask me, this is much worse than 20 below.

Anyone know why cold seems to make grown men cry while heat just locks them happily away in an air conditioned room?

We (southerners) complain about the heat all the time - sometimes, lately, even in the winter. In fact, last time I was in LA (lower Alabama) all our conversations were about the oppressive heat.

Now, I can't account for any lack of complaining from the desert southwest. Maybe it's the dry heat versus our humidity that's the difference?

Reminds me of a bad joke --- Relative Humidity: The sweat that runs down your cousin's back when your making out.

It was 121.8 degrees in my neighborhood yesterday.

Its only 10 am here and its already 101. Yeah, I'm a native, I accept the occasional blistering weeks of weather, but I dislike it more and more as I age. Thankfully, I have a new A/C unit, and a portable swamp cooler keeping my house at a chilly 81 degrees.

Monsoons can't come soon enough.

ETA, I work at home, during our winter, if the house gets below 68, I have to wear 2 pairs of sock, feet just get too damned cold. Probaby Reynauld's disease...

We (southerners) complain about the heat all the time - sometimes, lately, even in the winter. In fact, last time I was in LA (lower Alabama) all our conversations were about the oppressive heat.

Now, I can't account for any lack of complaining from the desert southwest. Maybe it's the dry heat versus our humidity that's the difference?

Reminds me of a bad joke --- Relative Humidity: The sweat that runs down your cousin's back when your making out.

We don't even notice the heat in Texas

It was 121.8 degrees in my neighborhood yesterday.

Its only 10 am here and its already 101. Yeah, I'm a native, I accept the occasional blistering weeks of weather, but I dislike it more and more as I age. Thankfully, I have a new A/C unit, and a portable swamp cooler keeping my house at a chilly 81 degrees.

Monsoons can't come soon enough.

ETA, I work at home, during our winter, if the house gets below 68, I have to wear 2 pairs of sock, feet just get too damned cold. Probaby Reynauld's disease...

The thermometer in my back yard goes to 120 and it was pegged on Sunday. The news says we hit 111 but I think they're downplaying it.

The thermometer in my back yard goes to 120 and it was pegged on Sunday. The news says we hit 111 but I think they're downplaying it.

Best site is Weatherunderground, pull up the Wundermap. It has all the weather stations in your area. Lots of people have their own approved weather stations at their houses. I have one half a mile away that I use to get the temps.

I have a cheap weather monitor on a table in my covered back porch, it had 112 yesterday.

While the globe is warming, most of the warming is in winter evening lows not going as low.
That does not mean it does not get plenty hot during the day.
I think for the most part, those of us from the south are resigned to the fact that it will be unpleasant
outside for several months. We normally have spring to acclimate to the heat.
This year it stayed cool up until the end May, and then BANG full on summer heat.

Meh. a lot of folks don't stop to think before they complain. I prefer colder climates. You can always put on more clothing, bundle up and be warm, but there's a limit to how much you can take off, and you're still hot.

We don't even notice the heat in Texas

I've spent a large amount of time in the Houston area. It's my impression that when God decided to create the climate in hell, he modeled it on Houston in July and August.

I actually prefer the cold over the heat. 50 degrees and overcast is perfect for me, and I would probably rather have 10 degrees than 90. I really don't know why anyone likes full sun, over 75 degrees, and high humidity, which is what many summer days are.

I actually prefer the cold over the heat. 50 degrees and overcast is perfect for me, and I would probably rather have 10 degrees than 90. I really don't know why anyone likes full sun, over 75 degrees, and high humidity, which is what many summer days are.

The humidity makes a huge difference. Back in NY we'd occasionally have days in the 90's with 90% humidity and it was ridiculous. While the 120 out here was crazy hot at least you could still breathe.

Every time I run into someone who moved here from Florida or Arizona, they whine about our cold weather. And, it's not like Southern Ohio is the Arctic either. We get a few days a year where T falls below zero, and countless bunches of them through winter where it's somewhere in the 40's. Hell, most years we don't even have ice on the ponds.

I had a customer from arizona who went to central teas who whined it was too cold, at 40 degrees. Now it gets extremely hot and humid here in the summer, and winters are mixed, some years we barely make it below freezing, others we get into the teens at night and the high 20's to low 30's during the day.

Ofcourse this guy went to the local lake, and was scared after the fact when I told him there were gators in stillhouse. He was like but gators don't live in centex, I be like yeah tell the gators that. Plus side no one has ever been attacked by them, numbers too small and food too plentifull. He also thought texas was too cold to have water moccasins.

The humidity makes a huge difference. Back in NY we'd occasionally have days in the 90's with 90% humidity and it was ridiculous. While the 120 out here was crazy hot at least you could still breathe.

We are currently getting high 90's where I live, with around 50% humidity, last week it was 99 degrees with 90% humidity, and it was awefull.

When I lived in the high desert in cali, 115 was the summer norm, 120 the extreme. Where I worked in the low desert 120 the norm 130 the extreme. The 130 with dry heat felt the same as 100 degrees with high humidity, with both I looked like I jumped into a pools minutes after I walked outside from the sweat.

We are currently getting high 90's where I live, with around 50% humidity, last week it was 99 degrees with 90% humidity, and it was awefull.

When I lived in the high desert in cali, 115 was the summer norm, 120 the extreme. Where I worked in the low desert 120 the norm 130 the extreme. The 130 with dry heat felt the same as 100 degrees with high humidity, with both I looked like I jumped into a pools minutes after I walked outside from the sweat.

I spent a July in San Antonio. And one in Dallas. I swear Dallas felt worse, even though SA was at least 5 degrees hotter. Dallas was muggy though....especially at night. SA had this nice breeze thing going on. Made evenings rather pleasant.

I lived in Nashville, Greenville, and Savannah. Summers there sucked. Although, at least with Greenville you could quickly run up to the mountains near Asheville and play in a waterfall. Savannah had an ocean nearby, but the water was too warm, the beaches too crowded and jelly fish were always a problem.

Fresno, CA was by the far the most oppressive heat I have ever felt. Dead air and 105 Degrees. Like I said in the OP, I'd rather deal with 20-Below. Trick there is wear layers and cover any and all exposed skin. Not much you can do in 110 heat except sit in A?C or hang out in a pool, preferably one that is in the shade.

I spent a July in San Antonio. And one in Dallas. I swear Dallas felt worse, even though SA was at least 5 degrees hotter. Dallas was muggy though....especially at night. SA had this nice breeze thing going on. Made evenings rather pleasant.

I lived in Nashville, Greenville, and Savannah. Summers there sucked. Although, at least with Greenville you could quickly run up to the mountains near Asheville and play in a waterfall. Savannah had an ocean nearby, but the water was too warm, the beaches too crowded and jelly fish were always a problem.

Fresno, CA was by the far the most oppressive heat I have ever felt. Dead air and 105 Degrees. Like I said in the OP, I'd rather deal with 20-Below. Trick there is wear layers and cover any and all exposed skin. Not much you can do in 110 heat except sit in A?C or hang out in a pool, preferably one that is in the shade.

You can just climatize yourself to the heat. When I got to afghanistn they had an odd heatwave, we peaked at 140 and temps stayed around 130-135. The village elders said it had not been that hot since the 1970's. You learn to deal with it, and eventuually return stateside wearing jackets at 80 degrees because you think you are freezing.

The summer we left afghanistan averaged 120, it felt like heaven vs the 140 degrees we had when we got there.

Thin people hate the cold, insulated people hate the heat.
Just an observation.

I loathe cold weather with a passion.
90 temps don't bother me at all, love it.

I spent a summer in Alabama once. Nothing like sweating in the shower.

Thin people hate the cold, insulated people hate the heat.
Just an observation.

I loathe cold weather with a passion.
90 temps don't bother me at all, love it.

Doesn't fit with my experience. I'm thin and I've always preferred the colder climes. My best friend is hefty, and he has always preferred the warm. Think about dedicated skiers and snow sport enthusiasts, are they as a group thin or insulated?

I need to get another one of those, just moved and left the old one behind.

I need to get another one of those, just moved and left the old one behind.

My thermometer said 275°. I might need to get it re-calibrated.

Doesn't fit with my experience. I'm thin and I've always preferred the colder climes. My best friend is hefty, and he has always preferred the warm. Think about dedicated skiers and snow sport enthusiasts, are they as a group thin or insulated?

Just a generalized observation I've noticed.
Not a universal truth.

Complaining about the weather is somewhat of a sport. Everyone has done it, and no one can do anything about it.

I dunno. I've never been in that cold of weather. the coldest I have ever been was one weekend in Sierra Mountains near Bridgeport, Calif and that was 16 degrees.

I was OK but had plenty of clothing, never been the Minnesota or Wisconsin or somewhere were winters are under zero.

I dunno. I've never been in that cold of weather. the coldest I have ever been was one weekend in Sierra Mountains near Bridgeport, Calif and that was 16 degrees.

I was OK but had plenty of clothing, never been the Minnesota or Wisconsin or somewhere were winters are under zero.

Even extreme cold is not a problem if you wear layers and cover exposed skin. I've hiked several miles in 40 below before. It's no big deal, just wear insulated boots, gloves, down hat, face mask and a snowmobile suit over about 3 layers of thick wool. Not that I would want to sleep out in it though. :)

My dogs aren't that keen on severe cold though. They walk three legged whenever temperatures fall below about 10 degrees F. It's kind of cute as they alternate their lifted paw, one by one.

Back
Top Bottom