• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Why do people excuse bad cops?

Who is excusing bad cops?

Yes, it's police assault and battery.
You seem to be destined to forgive the police for the use of excessive force.
The UK is rather well known for having lots and lots of pubs and as such drunken brawls so the police here are rather well versed in dealing with them and the use of truncheons is ultra rare.
The police in the US seem to feel the need to escalate situations where UK police are taught to de-escalate situations, there's a vast difference.

Ever see that movie A Clockwork Orange?

When the Police have our humble narrator Alek-boy in custody...and he says "I know my rights you bastards!"? Remember that?

And then the Police sergeant says "Perhaps we should show Alek that we know the law as well...but knowing the law isnt everything."? Did you see that?

Theres an important lesson there IMO.

When the Police have our humble narrator Alek-boy in custody...and he says "I know my rights you bastards!"? Remember that?

And then the Police sergeant says "Perhaps we should show Alek that we know the law as well...but knowing the law isnt everything."? Did you see that?

I've actually not seen it but I know it's supposed to be a great film.

Even some white people are shouting “i cant breathe” now while a cop kneels on their neck. The boot that stamps on the neck of those people look down on will eventually come down on theirs.

Of course. We, you and I, expect that. We don't have faith in bigotry.

Some people have faith in bigotry. They expect it will protect them and help them prosper. They support bigotry, even among cops. It's not so much they support bad cops as they support a bigoted worldview.

Some people have faith in bigotry. They expect it will protect them

I just obey the law and respect the Police. And I know I'll be just fine, with no Police "boot on my neck".
No "bigotry" at all. Obey the law, you'll be fine.

Then there are the dregs of society that NEED their noses crunched into the pavement Eco, and thats why we have Police. I thank them for their service to society.

I just obey the law
In America you can't possibly obey law because there are far too many laws/statues that a human can't possibly memorize and common sense won't work, as most such laws won't target malum in se deeds(which most people have a feeling that they are bad), but an enormous number of victimless deeds.

Besides, many laws are ambiguous and people will often not have to obey the law but rather a future interpretation of it(which is impossible)

That being said, cop behavior should NOT depend on whether one obeys the law or not. Heck, in most cases it's not even up to them to decide if someone obeys the law or not(innocent until proven guilty)
Respect the Police.
One of the many indicators of totalitarianism. In a normal country absolutely no state institution should demand or expect "respect"!!!

Besides, cops have way too much power and lack accountability - these two things are "respected" only by the wrong crowds!

Usually other bad cops.
Nearly all cops + nearly all conservatives + quite a large number of progressives(despite some loud criticism here and there). In America excusing bad cops is a majority position, otherwise there would be legislation that would hold them accountable.

Nearly all cops + nearly all conservatives + quite a large number of progressives(despite some loud criticism here and there). In America excusing bad cops is a majority position, otherwise there would be legislation that would hold them accountable.

It does amaze me that the aggressive stance of many police in the US is seen as acceptable.
They act in a way that would not be accepted in the UK and seem to think pointing guns at people is just standard procedure which is insane to me.

You realize the government in A Clockwork Orange is an authoritarian police state, yes?

Nope. This teacher caught on video punching a student was allowed to retire.

He has been arrested and released on bond, but it will likely be a while before the case is handled (given a plea deal?) by the ‘just us’ system.

This teacher (also forced to retire) had the charge dropped.

Did the teachers kill any of these students? Had they gone through training to be taught how to react when they feel threatened? I'm not excusing these teachers. What they did is terrible. But, comparing cops to teachers misses the mark, IMO.

IMO, most cops hired in the past 20 years are military veterans who served in combat. Their military training taught them to kill anyone who wasn't like them (in a U.S. military uniform or shooting at them) and that training is so part of their being that I think a lot of police actions are a result of that military training and combat experience. I don't know if it can be "trained" out of them, I have no idea if any studies have been conducted affirming this, but I wouldn't be surprised if studies would confirm my beliefs.

It does amaze me that the aggressive stance of many police in the US is seen as acceptable.
They act in a way that would not be accepted in the UK and seem to think pointing guns at people is just standard procedure which is insane to me.
I have a feeling that most of the people accepting these cops are cowards that have never even been in a bad situation, much less have a gun pointed at them

Cop worship is stupid and embarrassing.

If a cop breaks the law, he should be treated like any other criminal. Period, stop, the end.

Cop worship is stupid and embarrassing.

If a cop breaks the law, he should be treated like any other criminal. Period, stop, the end.
Agreed.

Back
Top Bottom