• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Why do people avoid personal responsibility?

Very insightful post.

Fostering personal responsibility seems to be essential to mental health. Perhaps it is the most essential element of mental health.

I think the only problem is when people assume that personal responsibility is all a person needs. There is another element here that needs to be considered but I am not sure what it is. Random chance ensures that bad things will happen to good people even when they work hard to make the best of their situation. And people can only persevere through so much before they lose hope and become apathetic to their condition. What can be done for those people? In essence, it becomes the nihilistic dilemma, because once life seems like a meaningless struggle, what is the purpose of continuing to live?

I'm trying to ascertain all the reasons why people may choose to avoid, deny, blame others, minimize, justify, etc. rather than take personal responsibility for their beliefs, feelings, thoughts, perceptions, judgments, and actions.

one of the difficulties is that none of us can claim real responsibilities for what we think and believe. the overwhelming percentage of what we think was taught to us. the most responsible among us will, eventually, take a look at some of this, but then only when the issue is raised by some difficulty or other. the general principle being 'if it ain't broke, don't feck widdit".

much of what we think and believe is tightly bound into our sense of ourselves within our communities, making it that much more difficult to reassess and possibly change or discard certain principles.

the civil rights movement was so difficult and painful because racism was central to how a lot of people saw themselves and their culture.

most people are simply not prepared, many quite literally incapable of stepping outside of what they have been taught.

geo.

At the very base of human instinct is personal responsibility, self-reliance, whatever you want to call it.
no, actually, it is not. we are born with a sense of 'connectedness', we learn separation, we learn self-reliance. interdependence is nothing to be condemned. we are highly social animals. our interdependence is innate... language is innate and its only function is connecting to others.
The reason humans evolved into social creatures probably(IMO) stems from the desire to share responsibility amongst others. It is easier for people to engage in an activity or lifestyle they are more suited to if they are alleviated from the responsibility of taking care of other tasks. Its why turning into agricultural based societies was a huge step forward. Not everybody had to forage or hunt for food anymore and people could devote time to studies of mathematics, language, philosophy and thusly advancing their societies. And for others who are more suited for other tasks, they don't have to worry about developing the new theories and ideas, and can concentrate on being the producers in society.
there is some truth in this, with a few provisos; there is no reason for any evolutionary modifications - that is like saying the rock rolling downhill has a 'reason' to striking this bush and not that one.

secondly, we did not evolve toward being social animals, or prehuman ancestors were at least as social as we are. If anything, we evolved greater independence. chimps, for instance, do not separate tasks to the extent that we do. the separation of function within a society shows greater independence, not less. (though, see african wild dogs are a contrast)
It's not to be confused with "shared burden" which implies a negative impact of shouldering more than you should, but rather a duty to the society in which you live and partake of its benefits.
this begs a qualification of 'should'. what determines what you should contribute? abstract morality aside, the well-being of the group (family, neighborhood, city, state, nation...) is probably the best answer, though we get stuck in degree, as reponsibility tends to lessen the further from the self we extend it.

as a population, it is generally accepted that we 'should' do what best benefits our population. this would be the darwinst answer too. somewhere along the way we came up with the idea of 'one for all, all for one' - the individual became as important as the group - unlike other animals, we do not walk away from those incapable of keeping up. for good or bad, that has become a human trait.
what keeps social responsibility from becoming social burden is taking the idea of personal responsibility to the highest level you can. Control things in your life as best you can and don't require unnecessary demands for society to "lift you up".
forgive me if this sounds ungenerous, but that is simplistic.
The extreme end of avoiding personal responsibility, when people who aren't producers or of a net benefit to society seek to absolve all their responsibility to the society of which they are a part of and become a net drain on the resources available.
this come awfully close to the commodification of human life - it sounds as though you would say that people are only as valuable as what they produce and give to you. that is beyond cynical and i very much hope, even expect, that you do not think that way.
Its not that society should uplift individuals, it should be that individuals uplift society.
ask not what your country can do for you....? again, as much as i admire m. Kennedy and his desire to get americans more involved in the betterment of the nation, that is a bit trite. society exists to benefit us, not the other way around.

still, society and the individuals that make it up are inseparable and interdependent. the qualities that define a culture are emergent, they arise from the culture itself, inform the culture in the directions it takes and constantly re-emerge. culture and individual lift each other up... or drag each other down.

geo.

Fostering personal responsibility seems to be essential to mental health. Perhaps it is the most essential element of mental health.
only in a culture that values it. our mental health, aside from the essential biological requirements, is determined largely by how well we 'fit in'. in a society where 'individualism' is considered to be a flaw, that trait will prove to be a problem.
There is another element here that needs to be considered but I am not sure what it is. .. people can only persevere through so much before they lose hope and become apathetic to their condition. What can be done for those people? In essence, it becomes the nihilistic dilemma, because once life seems like a meaningless struggle, what is the purpose of continuing to live?
not necessarily nihilistic, but certainly existential. although we have a sense of purpose, my or your life may be said to have a purpose when we imbue it, but there is no purpose to living, itself - living is its own justification. The god of the hebrews claimed this for himself - "I am that I am".

the question of 'altruism' has baffled people for a helluva a long time. it still does. WHY do we work so hard to extend the lives of people that carry genes for debilitating illness? why do we help those that cannot help themselves rather than let them and their genes die off?

geo.

This is just something of a philosophical question.

It seems to be at the core of the divide between left and right ideologies. Both sides value the concept, but how they perceive it seems different.

I'm trying to ascertain all the reasons why people may choose to avoid, deny, blame others, minimize, justify, etc. rather than take personal responsibility for their beliefs, feelings, thoughts, perceptions, judgments, and actions.

I don't know why they don't, but I can tell you from the other side that it feels good to take one's power back. If nothing is your fault, you can't fix it. It's very disempowering (apparently not a word, according to my spell check) if everybody else is at fault for what happens in your life.

nice one, boops.

yes. it is one thing, i think, to find your strength and use it to your betterment and to that of others. it is another, though, to see someone who does not have the same strengths and condemn them for their weakness.

it is foolish to take credit for the things you were born with... i am not responsible for how beautiful i am, it just happened that way. nor is that fella leaning against the lamppost be ashamed of being as ugly as a mud fence... not his fault.

we have to realize that the ability to take responsibility varies as naturally as does looks, intelligence, physical strength.... and our responsibilities can never realistically be expected exceed our abilities to realize them.

perhaps THAT explains altruism.

geo.

Admitting responsibility requires action, if you admit it's your fault, then you're the one who has to fix the problem. People today are lazy, they don't want to have to correct anything, they just want to point fingers and pass the blame so that someone else has to come along and fix the problem.

This is just something of a philosophical question.

It seems to be at the core of the divide between left and right ideologies. Both sides value the concept, but how they perceive it seems different.

I think it's about personality types and, many times, upbringing. Those children who are allowed to make mistakes and learn from them are more likely to accept personal responsibility for their actions. Children who are ridiculed by their siblings or their parents for making mistakes are more likely to try to blame others. If carried to the extreme, it becomes a lifelong disability. If carried to the ultimate extreme, these people become sociopaths.

I think it's about personality types and, many times, upbringing. Those children who are allowed to make mistakes and learn from them are more likely to accept personal responsibility for their actions. Children who are ridiculed by their siblings or their parents for making mistakes are more likely to try to blame others. If carried to the extreme, it becomes a lifelong disability. If carried to the ultimate extreme, these people become sociopaths.

That would have been me, but again breaking the cycle. And it wasn't so much 'ridicule' I was trying to escape as 'the beatings'.

That would have been me, but again breaking the cycle. And it wasn't so much 'ridicule' I was trying to escape as 'the beatings'.

Oh, Lord. Good for you for breaking the cycle. It takes much courage and a strong heart, I think.

Back
Top Bottom