• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Why do homophobes disbelieve in straight allies?

I saw it coming, wanted to drag him out a little more as the repugnant little lying scammer he is turning out to be.

Send me the screenshot that I asked you for, and I'll actually show you what post you made where you said that you are homophobic.

I saw it coming, wanted to drag him out a little more as the repugnant little lying scammer he is turning out to be.

"And after you send me that screenshot, you have to send me your SS#, your home address, and your mother's maiden name. Only then will I copy/paste something from this thread that very clearly doesn't exist."

Moderator's Warning:
Whatever this is, that's enough of it. Let's get back on topic, please.

Thank you. Let's worry about the question that was actually asked in the OP: Specifically, why do homophobes disbelieve in straight allies?

Thank you. Let's worry about the question that was actually asked in the OP: Specifically, why do homophobes disbelieve in straight allies?

You have yet to prove that this is really an issue. Can you provide any supporting information that proves this actually happens?

Hating gays does not make one a homophobe. Fearing gays would make one a homophobe. The 'phobe' part of homophobe comes from the greek phobos, which translates as fear, not hate.
Look up "homophobia" in the dictionary. It also means hatred of gays.

Okay, I looked it up, here's the definition.

Nowhere there does it mention hate.

Here is the kicker. Since none of us are a justice of the peace etc. We can't even discriminate on the marriage issue. :doh

Personally, I think the term 'homophobia" is kicked around far too much and far too inappropriately. I've been on this board for nearly 5 years, and considering that gay rights is my favorite debate, I think I've debated pretty much every DP veteran on this issue. Of those who are anti-GM, I would say that only a very small handful would be people I would classify as "bigoted" or "homophobic". Most are against homosexuality for either moral or religious reasons, but have little or no issue with an individual who is gay. Now, though I completely disagree with them, both from a logical and an informational standpoint, these folks are NOT homophobic.

And, for the record, I have debated BD on this issue a few times, and there is no way he is homophobic. Classifying him as such demonstrates, to me, stereotyping just as bad as what the OP is complaining about.

If you are against homosexuality due to religion which is fear based? You probably are homophobic.

If you are against homosexuality due to religion which is fear based? You probably are homophobic.

I disagree, since being against it based on religion may not be fear-based. Not all morality is based on fear. One may just believe that it is wrong.

Most main stream religions are fear based to start with: believe or you are going to a very bad place to be tormented forever and ever and ever..

So it makes sense to me that the hate/dislike is based on fear due to that religion which is fear based to start with.

Most main stream religions are fear based to start with: believe or you are going to a very bad place to be tormented forever and ever and ever..

So it makes sense to me that the hate/dislike is based on fear due to that religion which is fear based to start with.

Wrong. I don't believe because I fear hell. I was no coerced into believing. Why should someone be scared of a place they don't think exists? People against same sex marriage aren't homophobes. Religion isn't based on fear. There is no hate in believing homosexuality is morally wrong and not marriage. I don't hate gay people, in fact I'm friends with several. Stating that those against ssm is a farce that is typically employed to demonize the opposing side, stip their opinions of validity as they are "hate based" and equal to that of the nazis and kkk members. I think it also exists to exalt others to a place of pride and superiority over those trivial homophobic fear mongerers. I find such bland accusations to be offensive and non-productive.

Faith is not fear or hatred, it is a form of trust and it comes down to a particular value called "sanctity".

Sanctity is to be with God and anything that is not of God is wicked. It's a very dichotomous way of viewing the world but the idea is that being with God is the most important thing.

Homosexuality is seen by some religious people as something that sets people apart from God or alienates people from God.

Then comes in another belief called "righteousness". This is where people judge whether others are living in adherence to God's rules. Righteousness is where the problems tend to occur. As the old saying goes, "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone." Nobody is truly righteous (without sin) but you get religious people who take it upon themselves to enforce their God's rules. They justify it by saying they are doing God's work and it is important that people know what actions will separate them from God. It then becomes important for them to take a stance against homosexuality and to condemn same sex marriage because they see it as a threat to the sanctity of marriage. In other words, same sex marriage is seen as not with God.

Finally you get people who take the "hate the sin but love the sinner" approach. They find homosexuality so abhorrent that they choose to hate it, but claim that they still love the people who practice it. At this point the line between religious belief and homophobia begins to blur. You can tell when they have broached into homophobia because they then begin to argue that gays are conspiring or that gays have an agenda. It is no longer about "homosexuality" but about the people who practice that allegedly sinful behavior.

IMO, the problem here is nobody ever told anyone to hate sin. Sin is simply not adhering to God's rules. It doesn't make sense to hate it. It's like hating it when somebody cheats at a game. Someone can hate cheating all they want, but that isn't going to make the cheater atone for doing it and it isn't going to bring either person any closer to their God.

Last edited:
“Anyway, I've noticed that homophobes disbelieve in straight allies in much the same way that explicit atheists disbelieve in God. To these idiots, anyone who supports gay rights, or even does not share their hatred of gays, is a gay person themselves.” - middleagedgamer

I don’t support “gay marriage” or “gay rights” or “the gay agenda” (whatever those last two might be) but I do know I do not hate gay people.

I have been living out of a hotel in Nashville for the last five weeks on what has become a rather extended business trip. During these last several weeks I have gotten to know a young lady named Tiffany that works the desk during the nights. She has shared with me that she is a lesbian and that she and her partner are having a commitment ceremony next year and much about their lives together including pictures.

I have shared my own Christian beliefs with her and I have tried to be very honest but very respectful at the same time. I genuinely like Tiffany and only wish the best for her and her partner and I honestly do not have any desire to offend her.

What really surprises me about some of our conversations is not that I would talk with her but that she would actively engage in conversation with me regarding this subject knowing what my beliefs are. I have been called so many names due to my beliefs that I’m actually surprised when someone is able to engage me in a rather frank conversation about such a passionate subject and still refer to me as “Hon” (down here in the South that’s short for “honey”, ya’ll) that I can’t help but be taken aback somewhat.

And I can’t help but notice that the “tone” of the original post seems to be more of a “conversation-stopper” than a “conversation-starter”. Simple decency, common courtesy and a little respect are three things that do not have to stand in the way of honest and passionate debate.

“So it makes sense to me that the hate/dislike is based on fear due to that religion which is fear based to start with.” - Kali

Perhaps you could show us in the Bible where all of the “fear” comes from and how that translates into “fear” and “dislike” for gay folks.

Wrong. I don't believe because I fear hell. I was no coerced into believing. Why should someone be scared of a place they don't think exists? People against same sex marriage aren't homophobes. Religion isn't based on fear. There is no hate in believing homosexuality is morally wrong and not marriage. I don't hate gay people, in fact I'm friends with several. Stating that those against ssm is a farce that is typically employed to demonize the opposing side, stip their opinions of validity as they are "hate based" and equal to that of the nazis and kkk members. I think it also exists to exalt others to a place of pride and superiority over those trivial homophobic fear mongerers. I find such bland accusations to be offensive and non-productive.

Huh? You do not think hell exsist?

You simply cannot toss out comments like "People against same sex marriage aren't homophobes." Because you do not know all people who feel that way and why they are haters.

I suggest you get back to me when you can speak in truth. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom