• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Why do conservatives on most forums seem less knowledgeable?

I do have a genuine question (I'm not just voicing my opinion). Assuming this is true (and it seems to be in my experience), what are some possible reasons behind this? If you ever talk to a highly educated person, you know that there is a 90% chance he wont be conservative.

Most of us Conservatives are so because of basic reasoning, logic and common sense, not because we needed some overbearing educational institution to tell us we should be. We learned it from our families, our communities and our own personal experiences.

I am a conservative myself, and I often feel a little embarrassed to admit it. If you ever see someone denying global warming or evolution, or saying that the world is 6000 years old you know its going to be a conservative (at least in my experience). Additionally, conservatives seem much more prone to fallacious arguments and misinformation.

I do have a genuine question (I'm not just voicing my opinion). Assuming this is true (and it seems to be in my experience), what are some possible reasons behind this? If you ever talk to a highly educated person, you know that there is a 90% chance he wont be conservative.

With all respect,having seen your posts,I doubt your conservatism. Most of your posts seem to be about evolution,or global warming mocking those that disagree with you.

With all respect,having seen your posts,I doubt your conservatism. Most of your posts seem to be about evolution,or global warming mocking those that disagree with you.

I guess to be a conservative in this country, you have to support anti-intellectualism.

I am a conservative myself, and I often feel a little embarrassed to admit it. If you ever see someone denying global warming or evolution, or saying that the world is 6000 years old you know its going to be a conservative (at least in my experience). Additionally, conservatives seem much more prone to fallacious arguments and misinformation.

I do have a genuine question (I'm not just voicing my opinion). Assuming this is true (and it seems to be in my experience), what ar bee some possible reasons behind this? If you ever talk to a highly educated person, you know that there is a 90% chance he wont be conservative.
I think about Terri Schiavo.

Their position should have been either about legal standing to remove feeding or expressing position based on ethics as it relates to removal of feeding.

But instead their position was to should illogically edited videotape of Terri to prove that she was awake and aware of her surroundings and to have people who are so politically biased they will say anything. Anti science. ANti medicine

I guess to be a conservative in this country, you have to support anti-intellectualism.

No, that's the requirement for liberals. To be a conservative, you have to support anti-pseudo-intellectualism

Most conservatives I've known in person have been quite knowledgeable, and even reasonable.

Unfortunately there is a very vocal minority of conservatives who feel entitled to their ignorance when it comes to just about any subject they have an opinion on, and they use the web as their sound board. The internet is a not a very good barometer for where conservatives are really at. The web is for opining, it doesn't matter how wrong you are, you can still do it. If you confine your examination of conservatives to those who are actually educated, tempered by reason, and are familiar with the intricacies of politics, you will find satisfaction in talking to them. Can't promise you'll agree with everything they say though.

Based on my IRL experience with conservatives, I would be hesitant to even call this minority of ignoramuses "conservative". They have no interest in fiscal restraint, reduction in overseas interventionism, or restraining themselves in the social policy department. In my experience they are people who unjustly fear that their way of life is being attacked and feel the need to fight back against non-existent enemies.

I really miss the classical conservatives that used to occupy congress.

No, that's the requirement for liberals. To be a conservative, you have to support anti-pseudo-intellectualism

Right. I guess all of those scientists are anti-intellectuals. :roll:

Because there are as many classes of conservative as there are liberal, not all of them vocal or participating in online forums. I think more of the flavors of liberal require external confirmation and thus populate social media, including forums. And it's a matter of meme and perception as well. Being the elite thinkers is a meme the liberals have successfully established just as being the pro-military patriots is a successful meme conservatives have long established. In truth there are many liberals who are patriots and many conservatives that are elite thinkers.

Good example of sloganized thinking and an clear indication there was more behind your OP than an innocent question. Betrays the lie of your stated lean.

Extreme right wing conservatives tend to squat in their right wing echo chambers filled with erroneous information and lies because it makes them feel good.
You can continue to believe what you want if you never have to face factual reality.

There is just more pressure to appear that way (along with having a disdain for the political class) in populist conservatism. Populist liberalism, on the other hand, relies on a disdain of financial elites (and somewhat frequently-portions of the political class). Pitfalls exist for all.

Good example of sloganized thinking and an clear indication there was more behind your OP than an innocent question. Betrays the lie of your stated lean.

Yep. He's gotta be a liar if he states simething you don't believe!

The above post is a microcosm of why the GOP is being extinguished in this country.

Good question. "Why do conservatives on most forums seem less knowledgeable?"

First, off, I'd say that I generally find this not to be true. But I can understand such a perception since liberals vastly outnumber conservatives on political forums and that's probably because most conservatives work for a living and/or don't spend their work hours posting on internet forums. There are exceptions, of course, but generally speaking libs seem to have a lot more time for posting since lots of them don't work and those that do tend to spend their time goofing off at work and "sticking it to the man" by bitching about their evil capitalist slave drivers on company computers during company time. Weekends are always pretty slow around here.

First, off, I'd say that I generally find this not to be true. But I can understand such a perception since liberals vastly outnumber conservatives on political forums and that's probably because most conservatives work for a living and/or don't spend their work hours posting on internet forums. There are exceptions, of course, but generally speaking libs seem to have a lot more time for posting since lots of them don't work and those that do tend to spend their time goofing off at work and "sticking it to the man" by bitching about their evil capitalist slave drivers on company computers during company time. Weekends are always pretty slow around here.

Guys, this is an example to demonstrate my original post.

Pretty much this is why.

View attachment 67154565

The facts of almost any political situation suggest the left wing position, be it on poverty and welfare, voter ID, this shutdown, and science. The argument from the right wing relies on things that aren't true being true, like a widespread group of people abusing welfare and choosing to live on it or widespread fraudulent voting.

Why does it seem like right wingers are less knowledgeable? Because right wing positions are based on ignoring knowledge.

In my opinion it is the exact opposite. For progressives, the outcome (progress in their mind) is important damn be the facts.

Guys, this is an example to demonstrate my original post.

Look, fella. You make an OP with a bunch of stereotypes and generalizations like you did and you expect to generate meaningful discussion? No, I figure I'll just play along since you love stereotypes. Glad you enjoyed it.

Look, fella. You make an OP with a bunch of stereotypes and generalizations like you did and you expect to generate meaningful discussion? No, I figure I'll just play along since you love stereotypes. Glad you enjoyed it.

Every conservative that has responded to my forum (except perhaps a few) seems like a moron to me. Half of them tried to fight with me that global warming isn't real. It just seems as plain as day to me. This isn't to say that there aren't smart conservatives. Greg Mankiw is a Republican, and an economist at Harvard. I just never see the smart conservatives in internet forums, and there don't seem to be many of them.

In my opinion it is the exact opposite. For progressives, the outcome (progress in their mind) is important damn be the facts.

That's your opinion. If you had a grasp of the facts, you wouldn't hold that opinion. See how this works? It's like evolution and creationism. People who know the facts reach the evolution conclusion. People who don't know the facts don't. The same is true when it comes to issues like economics or civil rights.

There is no such thing as an educated global warming denier.

It doesn't take a genius to read a series of thermometers. It does however, take a "jenius" to figure out how to find a way to attribute that reading solely to CO2, blame it on american taxpayers, convince them to purchase the right to expel co2, create markets to trade this right and then expect people to buy in without questioning their motives. I'll continue to be skeptical, call me what you want... If you buy that garbage, I'll call you a sucker.

It doesn't take a genius to read a series of thermometers. It does however, take a "jenius" to figure out how to find a way to attribute that reading solely to CO2, blame it on american taxpayers, convince them to purchase the right to expel co2, create markets to trade this right and then expect people to buy in without questioning their motives. I'll continue to be skeptical, call me what you want... If you buy that garbage, I'll call you a sucker.

Here is another one. Can't you guys see it?

That's your opinion. If you had a grasp of the facts, you wouldn't hold that opinion. See how this works? It's like evolution and creationism. People who know the facts reach the evolution conclusion. People who don't know the facts don't. The same is true when it comes to issues like economics or civil rights.
Everyone forms their opinions and understands the facts through their own filters. I tend to form my opinions on civil rights based on individualistic philosophy, certain facts that may appeal to you would not appeal to me and vise versa. Evolution? Leave that as unknown. Evidence exists for micro evolution, but there is no valid scientific test for macro evolution. When it comes to economics it is self evident based on real effects to the US economy, that left wing policies have not worked well. See how that works? Classroom theory and real effects of implementation are at odds.

Here is another one. Can't you guys see it?

No, maybe you can explain it to me. Explain why the models used to predict warming are so far off? Maybe it's the inputs? Explain why the terminology has changed to "climate change". Maybe it's because there is no data to support general warming in the last several years. What data can you offer, not flawed models or political rhetoric?

Every conservative that has responded to my forum (except perhaps a few) seems like a moron to me. Half of them tried to fight with me that global warming isn't real. It just seems as plain as day to me. This isn't to say that there aren't smart conservatives. Greg Mankiw is a Republican, and an economist at Harvard. I just never see the smart conservatives in internet forums, and there don't seem to be many of them.

If you think liberals are smarter than conservatives and you consider yourself to be conservative instead of a liberal, are you really as smart as you think you are?

No need to answer. It's a rhetorical question.

Very well said.

Back
Top Bottom