• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

why do blue states have so many homeless?

Why do blues states have so many homeless?

• because liberal policies don't work for the poor

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • because homeless feel more welcome there

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • because society does not care ANYWHERE

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • combination of or all of above

Votes: 8 38.1%
  • other

Votes: 6 28.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
But you can have liberal policies that negate the supposed high cost of living. You have many one percenters you can tax to death to get rid of the homeless. Liberals supposedly have all the answers. What are they?

I never said i had all the answers nor do i assume it. They dont negate homeless because they dont tackle things at the root. Social safety nets dont tackle problems at the root.

Obviously it is because Trump is president. If we are going to give him credit for a bull market don't we also have to give him credit for the homeless problem?

The trouble with high homeless rates is liberal policies. Liberals create the problems and then expect the federal government to bail them out of the troubles that their liberal policies created.

It's expected by virtue of the numbers alone that some of the largest, most densely populated cities in America, also have the largest number of problems. Homelessness is multicultural and multi-factional, and is not as easy to solve as simply providing shelter or apartments. If it was a problem that was simple to solve, cities would have done so decades ago. It takes an intensity of continuous social and health services to help the homeless.

We're in an age where status and wealth has shifted America’s economy. Legislators are not working for the ‘people'. Instead, they are serving their donors. Money has bought out our leadership. America is no longer for the people or by the people. This country will soon be a different society comprised of people without a home. It will be up to that society (the homeless and the poor) to rebuild this country and not depend on the products made by the wealthy. This country as a whole is corrupt from the man in the Oval Office to the business owner in town. Meanwhile there are 13.1 million people homelessness in America and 22 million in poverty. The numbers are increasing in major cities where overpopulation is reducing available and affordable resources.

A major part of the problem is the exponential increase of children being born into families that are already dirt poor. If this problem doesn't get addressed in some fashion then the problem will never be solved. The liberal solution is to just increase taxes on the rich and give it to these dirt poor families that reproduce at an exponential rate. They never solve the root cause so the problem continually gets worse and worse.

I never said i had all the answers nor do i assume it. They dont negate homeless because they dont tackle things at the root. Social safety nets dont tackle problems at the root.

I just made a post about the real problem is the root cause and no one ever addresses that root cause, including the liberals. Liberal policies create this mess and then want to pass it on to the federal government. I wasn't talking about you in particular. I'm saying that states like California and New York can pass any liberal laws they want to change things and yet everything they do either doesn't work or backfires and then they look to the feds. They have all these liberal ideas they want the feds to do so why don't they just do them at the state level and solve the problem? Answer: They've already tried their liberal policies and they didn't work so they want to pass the buck on to the feds without actually addressing those root causes. Result: If they got control of the federal government to implement their liberal ideas, they would backfire in all 50 states and things would get worse everywhere.

I just made a post about the real problem is the root cause and no one ever addresses that root cause, including the liberals. Liberal policies create this mess and then want to pass it on to the federal government.

Exactly. Basically they want to turn the entire country into what California has become.

Answer: They've already tried their liberal policies and they didn't work so they want to pass the buck on to the feds without actually addressing those root causes.

Yes, that's why Trumps salt cap was so awesome, as it helps to prevent them from passing their outrageous state taxes onto the rest of us.

a more desirable place to live with on average higher paying jobs means more expensive housing.

Also people less able to take care of themselves tend to end up in places with more available social services.

that's the one thing I find ridiculous about some of the moronic right wing attacks on liberals. Cost of living is about capitalism and market setting prices, has nothing to do with the government. Place with more jobs, more desirable to live, more demand, higher costs.

well, we must always define terms. Define Compassion?

frankly, I d on't find a lot of compassion from either party toward certain people.. but that being said, I do believe that liberals in general do seem to have more understanding/compassion toward the poor.

however, if that poor person happens to be a OMG!

republican

conservative

Christian

all bets are off

thuggery often kicks in...

complete ****ing lie. Welfare, food stamps, higher wages that dems fight for, got to conservatives as well. Hillary campaigned on job retraining for coal miners and other blue collar jobs that were going way. Those people scoffed at that, believing lies of a con man.

More money flows to red states than blue states, so spare this complete partisan hackery lie. Just because most right wingers would punished liberals for being liberals, don't project that on the democrats. Rights, healthcar, better pay is what dems fight are for all people, even conservatives

I think blue cities and states attract the homeless because of lack of laws that directly effect them. For instance both New York and San Francisco has decriminalized crimes like shop lifting, drug, public drinking and living on the streets.
Wasn't it in New York where a man robbed a bank was arrested and was returned to the street without bail and turn around and robbed another bank. In fact he robbed five banks and was returned because of the no bail law that New York passed.

Prove, for example that blue states hav e "a larger economy"?

if they did, they wouldn't have so many unemployed homeless people..

Small towns don't have the facilities to take care of the homeless, so they give them a one way bus ticket to larger cities.

Then there are the working poor who have a full time job but can't afford rent or to live near their jobs...so they either sleep in their cars or set up a tent in some homeless encampment on the outskirts of town.

About 35% of the homeless are families with children. Between Trump cutting food stamps, unemployment insurance and the high cost of housing and the lack of jobs for unskilled labor....these families don't stand a chance.

Blue states aren't the only ones with a homeless problem...red states like Utah, Idaho and Montana also have a problem with homelessness, too.

The solution to homelessness shouldn't be a blame game....it should be christian compassion to take care of the needy. But since today's christians are more concerned about other people's unborn and blaming others than they are the born, breathing and living among them....the more the homeless have to depend on government just to get their next meal....so the problem is bound to get worse, not better.

When was the last time a prosper gospel televangelist did anything for the homeless and needy? They are sure quick to take the poor's money...but what the poor get in return?

Last edited:
So, you're saying that social services are a magnet to bring people there and increase homelessness. So, the solution would be not to have more available social services and then there would be less homeless. I actually agree with that.

I would say the compassion represented by social services will attract homeless from other cities or parts of the country, yes (this has been studied by sociologists). However, the homeless were not created by the social services.

The trouble with high homeless rates is liberal policies. Liberals create the problems and then expect the federal government to bail them out of the troubles that their liberal policies created.

A person in rural midwest needs a job because few to none are to be had in his own home town. So he goes to the city, which is where jobs are more likely to be found, and this city is statistically likely to be in a blue state because that's where economically more powerful cities are to be found, and gets a job (maybe). But then a number of catastrophes happen. He's either fired, or he can't find an adequate paying job, or a medical problem bankrupts him, and the cost of living is too high because the city attracts so many people. Whatever the problem, he loses his home and is now homeless.

Describe the "liberal policy" in that equation.

A person in rural midwest needs a job because few to none are to be had in his own home town. So he goes to the city, which is where jobs are more likely to be found, and this city is statistically likely to be in a blue state because that's where economically more powerful cities are to be found, and gets a job (maybe). But then a number of catastrophes happen. He's either fired, or he can't find an adequate paying job, or a medical problem bankrupts him, and the cost of living is too high because the city attracts so many people. Whatever the problem, he loses his home and is now homeless.

Describe the "liberal policy" in that equation.

For the most part, homeless people don't move. They are born where their poor parents were destitute. Liberal policies create homelessness and it grows exponentially as the poor have more and more poor children, generation after generation.

For the most part, homeless people don't move. They are born where their poor parents were destitute.

A)Prove that.
B)Even if true (and I don't necessarily accept your claim), how does a "liberal policy" create the phenomenon of supply and demand?

Liberal policies create homelessness and it grows exponentially as the poor have more and more poor children, generation after generation.

You're just using word padding in order to regurgitate the unfounded claim that liberal policies create homelessness.

For the most part, homeless people don't move. They are born where their poor parents were destitute. Liberal policies create homelessness and it grows exponentially as the poor have more and more poor children, generation after generation.

The problem Cardinal described are market inefficiencies which would exist under any set of policies.

I voted other. I think it's because most of the red states are so poor their homeless have to leave and go to a blue state.

A)Prove that.
B)Even if true (and I don't necessarily accept your claim), how does a "liberal policy" create the phenomenon of supply and demand?

You're just using word padding in order to regurgitate the unfounded claim that liberal policies create homelessness.

Liberals want to be elected to institute their policies, railing against the one percenters, income inequality, and homelessness and yet everywhere they have instituted liberal policies is where we have the most onepercenters, income inequality, and homelessness and they want to expand those policies to the entire country. Show us something that works first. If they claim they have the ideas to stop it all then show us the beef.

The problem Cardinal described are market inefficiencies which would exist under any set of policies.

LOL. So, liberals don't have answers for too many onepercenters, income inequality, and homelessness. It's about time one of you people admitted this.

A)Prove that.

That is pretty much what most right wingers do in every thread. They don't actually back anything up, they just keep repeating their so called "fact" over and over again, without anything to back it up

Oh look, more statements of "fact" with absolutely no actual facts or any reasoning to back it up. Hey, repeat it 3 more times while clicking your heels and it will come true

Notice, not a shred of any reasoning behind what specific liberal policies creat the problems

However, I can point to many conservative positions that does in fact help increase homelessness

1. Worship of greed, giving tax cuts to the rich who don't need it, while cutting benefits tot hose who actually need it

2. Lack of resources to address mental health (this is on liberals and conservatives, but cons tend to not want to address root problems in anything, they think they poor and homeless are all lazy drug addicts)

3. Lack of resources to address substance abuse. People get addicted to drugs and ruins their lives, they don't have money or means to get rehab and stay clean Conservatives don't want to spend money on anything, unliess its the help them and their kind.

4. Lack of support for Veterans. Many homeless are veterans that once they serve get no help. Conservatives dno't want to spend money so don't want to help these people, they just want them to fend for themselves

5. Lack of regulation on businessses has created monopolies and mega corporations that have kept wages stagnant, or the jobs were sent overseas to appeal to their greed. So workers are not getting paid livable wages to keep up with rising costs, so all it takes is one bad thing to happen and someone can be homeless. Conservatives are against regulations and worship the rich, adn think workers should just be grateful.

Last edited:
The premise is ridiculous. I went to Texas last year and I have never seen so many people on the street and living under highway bridges. And Texas is a reliable red state.

that's the one thing I find ridiculous about some of the moronic right wing attacks on liberals. Cost of living is about capitalism and market setting prices, has nothing to do with the government. Place with more jobs, more desirable to live, more demand, higher costs.

Wrong. For example, housing is extremely expensive in CA because of government regulation and government zoning which drastically restricts the number of new housing units built.

Wrong. For example, housing is extremely expensive in CA because of government regulation and government zoning which drastically restricts the number of new housing units built.
Complete right wing fiction, which is why you didn't even attempt to back that up. Let me guess, Fox and Friends told you that? LOL

California expensive because its a desirable place to, great weather, beautiful nature, plentiful jobs. That drives up demand for house. San Franciso and Manhattan are so expensive because the city itself has limited land, there is no place for expansion, real estate at a premium and demand is high, thus the high expense.

LOL. So, liberals don't have answers for too many onepercenters, income inequality, and homelessness. It's about time one of you people admitted this.

the realization that this is becoming a problem is less than ten years old, there has not been time to enact new policy.

Complete right wing fiction, which is why you didn't even attempt to back that up.

I thought it was common knowledge:

In fact, many cities with a costly median rent of over $2,000 per month in 2012 showed no permits for multifamily complexes; these cities also had the most zoning restrictions. The Los Angeles County cities of La Canada Flintridge, Rancho Palos Verdes, Rolling Hills Estates, and Westlake Village issued zero multifamily housing permits between 2013 and 2017.

How local zoning laws, including Long Beach's, have fueled California's housing crisis • Longbeachize

Back
Top Bottom