• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

why do blue states have so many homeless?

Why do blues states have so many homeless?

• because liberal policies don't work for the poor

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • because homeless feel more welcome there

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • because society does not care ANYWHERE

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • combination of or all of above

Votes: 8 38.1%
  • other

Votes: 6 28.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Are red necks bad people to you?

I work with a lot of them, and they remind me of the people from rural Maine & New Hampshire, but with a funny accents.

They sure love to play with mud.

And high rates of income inequality.

Well...yeah. If the richest people are living in the most economically successful states in the country (and they are), then sure, those states will also have the highest rates of income inequality.

I mean...duh?

And high rates of income inequality.

Sure. San Francisco has the highest per capita concentration of billionaires of any city in the world.

That's how all that money flows from the blue states to the red states- so they can keep complaining about how others should learn to carry their own weight.

Because blue states have the major cities where more people live, housing costs are more. More services for the homeless, or ways to get food or money, than other places. Higher costs also

And more people live their and the cost of living is higher because they are desirable places to be and live.

Also, blue state has more people with a heart and there will be more services for those people than in greedy, selfish red states where they dont' want to pay taxes and it shows by their ****ty services

Of course it does. A high demand for housing in high economic growth areas makes real estate values go up, putting homes out of reach for many people. Interestingly, Mississippi has the highest poverty rate in the continental US, but they have the lowest homeless rate.

that is interesting (assuming it is true)

so what are the 10 states that have the lowest homeless rate?

so in other words: more greedy landlords who refuse to lower the rent and don't mind walking by homeless people in tents on their way to their lucrative jobs... (or their trip to doggy psychologist...)

Oh look, another person who is really bad at trolling. Don't you right wingers love free market and capitalism yet you display that you know nothing about capitalism?

Sure. San Francisco has the highest per capita concentration of billionaires of any city in the world.

That's how all that money flows from the blue states to the red states- so they can keep complaining about how others should learn to carry their own weight.

Hmmm...

Maybe the homeless in SF could use a little help from the "highest per capita billionaires" in SF?

Or, is that why they live in gated communities.

Because blue states have the major cities where more people live, housing costs are more. More services for the homeless, or ways to get food or money, than other places. Higher costs also

And more people live their and the cost of living is higher because they are desirable places to be and live.

Also, blue state has more people with a heart and there will be more services for those people than in greedy, selfish red states where they dont' want to pay taxes and it shows by their ****ty services

I have not lived in many red states. But frankly, I find people to be greedy and selfish Everywhere

and I don't believe ANYONE really cares much about... well, just others, much less just the homeless.

people would not be homeless if their own families gave a rip about them.. I talked to one woman who was homeless yrs ago and she had terrible parents and one killed the other... in front of the children.. I now wish I had asked more about her "family life" because... well, who wouldn't be "mental" after that? and of course life is always full of bad stuff, even once you "get beyond" that kind of early trauma... which of course no one ever gets totally "beyond"

Hmmm...

Maybe the homeless in SF could use a little help from the "highest per capita billionaires" in SF?

more info to confirm that society in general doesn't care...

I don't think anyone really cares about anyone but their own family... and sometimes not even then...

who said Other?

I want to know what the other explanation is.

I was the fourth Other vote. One problem is homeless people waste their money on illegal drugs instead of seeking professional help. They pretend to want money for housing, food, etc. but really don't care.

Of course, there are other reasons, including the one about blue states being more expensive.

I believe these states are highest percentage-wise... per capita

Well, duh. They have enormously higher costs of living meaning more people will be unable to afford it. Its like you aren't paying any attention to the economic forces at work.

Because you're looking at total number of people so obviously the places with the most people will have the most homeless. Homeless people in cities are also visible. Homeless people in rural America are not as visible and and are underestimated.
In Rural America, Homeless Population May Be Bigger Than You Think : NPR.

This may be mixing data sets a bit, but roughly 19% of the population lives in rural areas and 7% of the homeless population is in rural areas. Accounting for under representation the rate of homelessness in rural America is about half that of urban America. This seems like a good thing until you see that poverty rates are about 40% higher in rural areas.

In summary for TLDR
  • Rural poverty rates are 40% higher than urban
  • Rural homelessness rates are 50% lower than urban
  • Rural housing costs are far lower than urban rates.

In short, rural and urban areas seem equally bad dealing with the least fortunate.

Hmmm...

For the same reason we don't just get rid of all traffic lights and count on "a little help" from drivers speeding through intersections. It doesn't mean all drivers are mean or bad people. It just means you don't have a good system.

Nothing is a substitute for the formal infrastructure of a good system of laws and safety nets.

well, we must always define terms. Define Compassion?

frankly, I d on't find a lot of compassion from either party toward certain people.. but that being said, I do believe that liberals in general do seem to have more understanding/compassion toward the poor.

however, if that poor person happens to be a OMG!

republican

conservative

Christian

all bets are off

thuggery often kicks in...

Nope, no one has been denied welfare or public assistance in a blue state because of their political lean or religious beliefs. That is just a flat out lie. If your argument is already so degraded and weak that all you have left if blatant lies perhaps it may be time to pursue a different subject.

Hmmm...

They do. The rich in Cali fund a far better system to help those in need than the rich in red states. Your entire argument is fake. Basing your arguments on facebook memes you read as you scroll alt right white social media is pretty bad. The reason the homeless flee red states and head toward blue states is their own people have abandoned them and all they have left is help from those who care about America.

First of all, money doesn't flow from blue states to red states. Remember those trillion dollar deficits we're running? Every state is getting more back than it sends to Washington.

Why do Liberals talk the talk on how we should be reducing income inequality, but somehow fail to walk the walk?

Also, why do they complain about sending money to red states, but they also argue in favor of progressive taxes, which affects them more than the red states?

Their message is nothing if not inconsistent.

They do. The rich in Cali fund a far better system to help those in need than the rich in red states. Your entire argument is fake. Basing your arguments on facebook memes you read as you scroll alt right white social media is pretty bad. The reason the homeless flee red states and head toward blue states is their own people have abandoned them and all they have left is help from those who care about America.

Nice.

How long did you rehearse this nonsense before you could write the words?

Although, the highest poverty rates are found mostly red states.

Geography is a much better predictor of poverty than politics. Poor states tend to be those closer to Mexico while rich states tend to congregate closer to Canada.

just like a liberal

say something that goes w/o saying

apparently, so as to weasel out of an argument...??

weasel out of actually thinking of a valid answer...?

which argument am i weaseling out of exactly?

I bet you can't answer since your just linking together random statements that don't make sense to the post you quoted.

Why do red states have so many rednecks?

Hey, a trailer on a piece of land with a broken down car in the front yard and a couch on the front porch is a home. This person is not homeless.

Blue states tend to have really high cost of living?

But you can have liberal policies that negate the supposed high cost of living. You have many one percenters you can tax to death to get rid of the homeless. Liberals supposedly have all the answers. What are they?

a more desirable place to live with on average higher paying jobs means more expensive housing.

Also people less able to take care of themselves tend to end up in places with more available social services.

So, you're saying that social services are a magnet to bring people there and increase homelessness. So, the solution would be not to have more available social services and then there would be less homeless. I actually agree with that.

Back
Top Bottom