• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Why do Athiests and other non-god believing people have a problem with religion/god?

Re: Why do Athiests and other non-god believing people have a problem with religion/g

Engimo said:
...Because it keeps us warm and allows us to not be nude - society has developed to frown upon public nudity.

I liked my answer better.

Re: Why do Athiests and other non-god believing people have a problem with religion/g

Kelzie said:
Well if we didn't have clothes, how would little kids in China earn 50 cents a day? Ha that was evil. Seriously, I'm just being nit picky. There is a huge difference. But it's not intelligence or reasoning. It's the value we place on our species. There is no huge objective reason that our species is better, only a very subjective one. Nothing wrong with it really, just as long as people recognize it.

O.k Kelzie, time to crash and get some sleep, good points.

realist said:
O.k Kelzie, time to crash and get some sleep, good points.

Yeah. Nice debating with a civil person. Nighty. :2wave:

realist said:
If I was an athiest I would be very curious why we put clothes on every morning?

Not if you lived on Chicago in January you wouldn't.

Here's why I think religion poses the biggest threat to man-kind's survival over the next 100 years. The 21st century fundamentalist now have access to nuclear weapons.

The fact that people do some great things in the name of faith does not mean that these things are best done, or can only be done, in the name of faith. There is nothing to suggest that acts of kindness, or beauty, or virtue, would not occur without religious dogma.

In a world where believers think their book is the book, whether you're talking about the Old Testament, New Testament, Koran or others, it goes to reason that those that do not believe in that book are consigned to eternal damnation.

Imagine if we thought the same way about a movie? Or software? "Windows XP is the almighty source code, all that don't follow it - OSX, Linux are forever doomed." Ludicrous.

According to a Gallop poll, 35% of Americans believe the bible to be the literal word of God. Take a look at the book of Deuteronomy 13:7-11 and you'll see that those that believe in other religions should be "stoned to death" A literal reading of the Old Testament requires heretics to be put to death. John 15:6 says "If a man abide not in me,he is cast forth as a branch, and is withered; and men gather them, and cast them into the fire, and they are burned."

On almost every page of the Koran, observant Muslims are taught to despise non-believers.

What is the difference between a man who believes that God will reward him with 72 virgins if he blows himself up and in the process kills scores of Jewish teenagers, and someone who thinks that creatures from Alpha Centauri are beaming messages of world peace through their blow dryer or that raindrops are tapping Morse code to him on his window seal?

Clearly there is sanity in numbers. Do you believe that if all of mankind's knowledge was wiped out, we would once again come to the place where we believe that Jesus was born of a virgin, cheated death, rose into heaven, and his bodily form can now be eaten in the form of a cracker and some burgundy?

How can anyone in the 21st century believe that! We have been lulled into ignoring how strange many religious beliefs are. Remember that when the bible was written, a wheelbarrow was a major invention, people believe that the earth was flat and doctors drilled holes in our heads to let the demons out when we were sick.

Look at the current war against AIDS in developing nations: 1/3 of our budget is based on the Christian premise of abstinence, rather than passing out as many condoms as possible. This is an insane misuse of Christian morality sending millions of people needlessly to an early grave.

In the last 10 years religion has been the main cause for literally millions of deaths in the world:

Look at some of the following world conflicts:
War on Terror - Islam v. Western Imperialism (Christianity)
Palestine : Jews v. Muslims
Balkans: Orthodox Serbs v. Catholic Croations, Orthodox Serbs v. Muslims
Kashmir: Muslim v. Hindu
Northern Ireland: Protestant v. Catholic
Indonesia: Muslim v. Christian

Even moderates that ignore or gloss over barbaric passages in religious texts, lose touch with how dangerous these passages are when taken literally. And you can see, that when 35% of America believes that the Bible is the literal word of God, that is a very dangerous belief system.

hipsterdufus said:
Here's why I think religion poses the biggest threat to man-kind's survival over the next 100 years. The 21st century fundamentalist now have access to nuclear weapons.

The fact that people do some great things in the name of faith does not mean that these things are best done, or can only be done, in the name of faith. There is nothing to suggest that acts of kindness, or beauty, or virtue, would not occur without religious dogma.

In a world where believers think their book is the book, whether you're talking about the Old Testament, New Testament, Koran or others, it goes to reason that those that do not believe in that book are consigned to eternal damnation.

Imagine if we thought the same way about a movie? Or software? "Windows XP is the almighty source code, all that don't follow it - OSX, Linux are forever doomed." Ludicrous.

According to a Gallop poll, 35% of Americans believe the bible to be the literal word of God. Take a look at the book of Deuteronomy 13:7-11 and you'll see that those that believe in other religions should be "stoned to death" A literal reading of the Old Testament requires heretics to be put to death. John 15:6 says "If a man abide not in me,he is cast forth as a branch, and is withered; and men gather them, and cast them into the fire, and they are burned."

On almost every page of the Koran, observant Muslims are taught to despise non-believers.

What is the difference between a man who believes that God will reward him with 72 virgins if he blows himself up and in the process kills scores of Jewish teenagers, and someone who thinks that creatures from Alpha Centauri are beaming messages of world peace through their blow dryer or that raindrops are tapping Morse code to him on his window seal?

Clearly there is sanity in numbers. Do you believe that if all of mankind's knowledge was wiped out, we would once again come to the place where we believe that Jesus was born of a virgin, cheated death, rose into heaven, and his bodily form can now be eaten in the form of a cracker and some burgundy?

How can anyone in the 21st century believe that! We have been lulled into ignoring how strange many religious beliefs are. Remember that when the bible was written, a wheelbarrow was a major invention, people believe that the earth was flat and doctors drilled holes in our heads to let the demons out when we were sick.

Look at the current war against AIDS in developing nations: 1/3 of our budget is based on the Christian premise of abstinence, rather than passing out as many condoms as possible. This is an insane misuse of Christian morality sending millions of people needlessly to an early grave.

In the last 10 years religion has been the main cause for literally millions of deaths in the world:

Look at some of the following world conflicts:
War on Terror - Islam v. Western Imperialism (Christianity)
Palestine : Jews v. Muslims
Balkans: Orthodox Serbs v. Catholic Croations, Orthodox Serbs v. Muslims
Kashmir: Muslim v. Hindu
Northern Ireland: Protestant v. Catholic
Indonesia: Muslim v. Christian

Even moderates that ignore or gloss over barbaric passages in religious texts, lose touch with how dangerous these passages are when taken literally. And you can see, that when 35% of America believes that the Bible is the literal word of God, that is a very dangerous belief system.

Wow that is a very enlightening post, especially to one who is religious to any degree as i am. I'll have to think this one over carefully but it is obvious that we may have to change or modernize some of out religious thoughts. Which may not be as religious as we have always believed.

Red-Phase said:
Dodging the question and taking my comments out of context means I win.

Sorry doesn't work like that.

Okay, you've won an argument with a figment of your imagintion. Give yourself a zero-calorie fictitious chocolate chip cookie and call it a day.

Engimo said:
Yes, that's pretty much exactly what I said. Gravitons have yet to be observed, as we cannot test for their existence yet.

Time, though, does exist. It is a temporal dimension just like our spatial dimensions. Saying that time does not exist is like saying that directions do not exist - it is nonsense.

That's a silly thing to say. Because they haven't been observed, the only way we can prove their existence is to test for them until we identify a particle whose properties appear to be that of a "graviton". Then test more, refine the theories some more, and figure out what we've got. That's what testing is for.

Red-Phase said:
Wow there are alot of things that are predicted and theoretical,and unobserved that we believe to exist.

Gravitons haven't been observed before.unobserved does not=non existant

Why not God?

Because gravity is been observable phenomena. In the context of quantum theory a particle must exist to transfer the force from body A to body B.

There are no phenomena that requires God as an explanation.

Scarecrow Akhbar said:
That's a silly thing to say. Because they haven't been observed, the only way we can prove their existence is to test for them until we identify a particle whose properties appear to be that of a "graviton". Then test more, refine the theories some more, and figure out what we've got. That's what testing is for.

No, silly. I'm saying that the technology/experimental techniques that we would need to test for their presence have not been refined or even invented yet. There are concievable tests that could be performed to check for the existence of gravitons, we just cannot run them presently.

Engimo said:
That's the thing - no one is claiming that the world has arisen by accident. This stems from a total misunderstanding of all the theories that attempt to explain our origins and development.

Oh, I don't know about that. Gotta define "accident" of course, but if you define "accident" as an even without intelligent purposeful cause, then it's an "accident". Most cosmologists figure the beginning wasn't much more than a random quantum burp that got seriously out of hand.

Oh, and I wear clothes because the sight of people running screaming in all directions away from me it too reminiscent of that time I burped and all the galaxies got away.

Engimo said:
No, silly. I'm saying that the technology/experimental techniques that we would need to test for their presence have not been refined or even invented yet. There are concievable tests that could be performed to check for the existence of gravitons, we just cannot run them presently.

Oh, if you're saying that the technology to detect gravitons it beyond us at this time, that's probably true enough. If they exist, they're pretty weak. Then again, so are neutrinos, but they get caught once in a while.

Scarecrow Akhbar said:
Oh, I don't know about that. Gotta define "accident" of course, but if you define "accident" as an even without intelligent purposeful cause, then it's an "accident". Most cosmologists figure the beginning wasn't much more than a random quantum burp that got seriously out of hand.

Oh, and I wear clothes because the sight of people running screaming in all directions away from me it too reminiscent of that time I burped and all the galaxies got away.

Well, "statistical abberration" and "accident" are two entirely different things - with different implied meanings behind them.

Oh, if you're saying that the technology to detect gravitons it beyond us at this time, that's probably true enough. If they exist, they're pretty weak. Then again, so are neutrinos, but they get caught once in a while.

Actually, String Theory says that Gravity is actually one of the most powerful forces, it just appears weak to us because it is acting 11-dimensionally. The other 3 fundamental forces only act through 4 dimensions. It's not that Gravity is weak, they say, it is just acting over a greater area and thus obeys a higher exponential strength decay law. Very interesting stuff. <3

realist said:
O.k. makes sense, the old testament has some great books that even an athiest can enjoy I'm sure.

Yea, actually I kinda like reading from the bible. It makes for great bed-time stories!:lol:

George_Washington said:
No, it didn't have to have been his sister because it mentions in the chapter right before that I think that he was banished to the Land of Nod, meaning that he could have met other women there.

Uhh, what sister? He was only banished from Eden, anyway Cain killed Abel because this "god" fellow showed favoritism towards Abel. And to top it all off, this "god" dude asks Cain "Where is your brother Abel?" and "What have you done?" This ****ing ninkumpoop has absolutely no idea of what is going on.:lol: So, god placed a tatoo of soime sort on Cain, so noone would kill him, and banished him to Nod. It dosen't give specifics on his wife, but the fact that she gave birth to Enoch.

Kelzie said:
What? That makes no sense! Where'd the people in Nod come from? Did God have little side projects? You think he would have mentioned that to his followers.

So he might have created other people after Adam and Eve in the land of Nod. There might be some writings about it somewhere, I'm not sure. But still, imagine how large the Bible would be if he had included everything had ever done. It would have been so huge, he would have had to put the entire Bible on DVD-ROM disks, which would have been impractical back then since people didn't have computers.

George_Washington said:
So he might have created other people after Adam and Eve in the land of Nod. There might be some writings about it somewhere, I'm not sure. But still, imagine how large the Bible would be if he had included everything had ever done. It would have been so huge, he would have had to put the entire Bible on DVD-ROM disks, which would have been impractical back then since people didn't have computers.

What, kind of like Bible: the Sequel? Uh huh. Face it. The bible is completely non-sensecal. Same problem with Noah. God said, point blank, he killed all other humans. Explain how they managed to repopulate the human species with, what 8 people?

realist said:
There is a huge difference between humans and animals as far as intelligence, which implies creation/planning/design.
Why? "I can't believe otherwise" is not really evidence of anything or even indication of anything else.

Kelzie said:
What, kind of like Bible: the Sequel? Uh huh. Face it. The bible is completely non-sensecal.

Ha. Yep. Like donkeys can talk, the earth is flat, and the plants grew, before the sun was created!

Same problem with Noah. God said, point blank, he killed all other humans.

Yea, he's a seasoned vet at this manslaughter thing.:lol:

Explain how they managed to repopulate the human species with, what 8 people?

Christians will try and explain it away as the bible is not meant to be taken literally. That argument is stupid at best. Even the name "Gospel" means truth. http://thesaurus.reference.com/search?q=gospel

kal-el said:
Even the name "Gospel" means truth.
Ah, but does "truth" mean "literal"? Or is it a different kind of truth we are looking for here, one not of physical existence?

George_Washington said:

That's an interesting theory. The bible invents this ridiculous notion that the travails of mankind are due to the original sin of Pandora...er Eve conned Adam into eating some fruit. Now you're saying that these other people, who had nothing to do with Adam and Eve, were around, and yet somehow they too are stained with Pandora's crime. Er, Eve. Want to repeat that lie about God being "just" again? Or are you going to argue that he made the same mistake with the Nodders are he did with Eve and Adam?

George_Washington said:
So he might have created other people after Adam and Eve in the land of Nod.

Adam and Eve did not venture into the land of Nod. He cursed Caine. It is believed that Adam had a wife before Eve and that she mated with Caine. No biblical evidence, but at least it beats your, uhm, dvd-theory.

Gospel, from online etymology dictionary.

gospel
O.E. godspel "good news," from god "good" + spel "story, message," translation of L. bona adnuntiatio, itself a translation of Gk. euangelion "reward for bringing good news." First element of the O.E. word had a long "o," but it shifted under mistaken assoc. with God. Gospel-gossip was Addison's word ("Spectator," 1711) for "one who is always talking of sermons, texts, etc."

I disagree, however, as I would call the bible a tragedy. Most certainly in the medieval sense. The book ends in a bad ending, and the manner in which it is written is most.. grave.

Mr U

Engimo said:
How? Do you think that humans are so great that we could not have possibly arisen through the natural processes of Evolution? Rather egocentric to think that the ONLY WAY for us to have come about is by supernatural means.

I'm not on some ego trip thinking that us humans are so great? I'm just saying that there is a lot of evidence pointing to the supernatural as a possible explanation. Jesus, the bible, and the difference between us and animals.

Back
Top Bottom