• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Why Diversity Should NOT Be Celebrated

Okay, then which race/gender should we act like? When you think of uniformity, what is the model?

Oh, I think that's pretty obvious. What's the only segment of this country that claims to be superior?

Okay, then which race/gender should we act like? When you think of uniformity, what is the model?

That's not...what are you talking about? I never said act the same. Identity politics is so ingrained in you that you can't comprehend the idea that we are all the same now, just with different experiences. I'm saying we can all have similar experiences in life if we stop allowing superficial characteristics like skin color dominate how we think about people. Kind of like we do with eye color or hair color. It's just a freakin color for crying out loud.

That's not...what are you talking about? I never said act the same. Identity politics is so ingrained in you that you can't comprehend the idea that we are all the same now, just with different experiences. I'm saying we can all have similar experiences in life if we stop allowing superficial characteristics like skin color dominate how we think about people. Kind of like we do with eye color or hair color. It's just a freakin color for crying out loud.

So now it's not about diversity, it's about ignoring skin color?

Okay, let's ask this a different way: If we are to be uniform, should that uniformity be based on geography, society & culture, or politics?

So being black is not about shared experiences and culture that you as a white person never experienced?????

So now it's not about diversity, it's about ignoring skin color?

Okay, let's ask this a different way: If we are to be uniform, should that uniformity be based on geography, society & culture, or politics?

Well, this is officially pointless now. /out

That's not...what are you talking about? I never said act the same. Identity politics is so ingrained in you that you can't comprehend the idea that we are all the same now, just with different experiences.

The group that uses identity politics more than every other group combined is white, right-wing conservatives. Identify politics is the bread and butter of the Republican party and Trumpism.

I'm saying we can all have similar experiences in life if we stop allowing superficial characteristics like skin color dominate how we think about people. Kind of like we do with eye color or hair color. It's just a freakin color for crying out loud.

How can a black and white person have equal experiences when the very foundations of society -- law enforcement, the judicial system, the medical system, employers, etc -- treats these people differently? Are you speaking of an ideal or reality?

Well, that is not reading for comprehension. I don't know what you saw that made you come up with that wild guess.

You're the one who said racism is caused when people aren't treated exactly the same, why don't you explain it.

No, i doubt you are willing to do anything but pretend yours is not a bigoted response.

So answer one simple question. If the characteristics of minorities are superficial then which groups characteristics are not superficial enough that we should all act the same way as?

They never want to explain whose standards of equality. It’s always this amorphous blob of arguments.

I don’t answer to those telling lies and calling names, if another poster wishes to pose that same question, or you have a change of attitude and do not condemn based upon speculation, I am willing and desire reasoanble debate.

No, that is an excuse. And no doubt made because the answer would have confirmed the bigotry of this thread.

Yep that's it. Racism would all just go away if other people didn't shove diversity down your throat. It's almost as if you had no other choice but to hate the blacks. :unsure13:

The left stokes racism and keeps it alive. Without it, they have no relevance and everyone would rightfully ignore them. The left thrives on division so that's what they provide.

Companies should hire the most qualified person in every instance. If they're all Asians, so be it. Affirmative action is discrimination against the competent.

First we need to define what acting white even means -- then we can decide if it's something that we should classify as belonging to any certain race. How does that sound?

Let's get some details on what you believe "acting like white men" constitutes.

No that will not work because we are only dealing with a sub group of whites who hold the idea that everyone should act the same way. If you want to be more correct then be more specific and ask how do white bigots want us to behave.

Another reason this does not work is because ethnicity and not race is the point here. In my country there are white skinned, blue eyed,blond and red heads who can recite their maori whakapapa (Lineage/family history).

And what i think acting like a bigoted white man is explained in the op.

Companies should hire the most qualified person in every instance. If they're all Asians, so be it. Affirmative action is discrimination against the competent.

Do you have any idea how hiring actually works? Sometimes the best fit is not the person with the most qualifications. Sometimes companies don't hire people because they're overqualified. Sometimes they don't hire them because they're jerks. Sometimes they hire someone with fewer qualifications so they can pay them less. You have an overly simplistic view of hiring.

Yes, With these ones it is we are all equal with the sub text of so long as we are all white.

They don’t strain too hard to bury the real lede though, y’know? ;)

Do you have any idea how hiring actually works? Sometimes the best fit is not the person with the most qualifications. Sometimes companies don't hire people because they're overqualified. Sometimes they don't hire them because they're jerks. Sometimes they hire someone with fewer qualifications so they can pay them less. You have an overly simplistic view of hiring.

I said the most qualified, not the one with the most qualifications. They are different things.

I said the most qualified, not the one with the most qualifications. They are different things.

So what's the difference? Companies choose less qualified people all the time, for a wide variety of reasons, not just for "diversity".

How many people here work at a large company? Large companies routinely send out news letters that celebrate various minorities. Whether it is a race, sex, sexual orientation or religion, large companies celebrate the diversity of their employees every day. But what if they didn't?

I don't mean to say that companies should not hire people of various backgrounds. Far from it. I am saying, however, that when diversity is celebrated we reinforce social segregation that might other wise dissolve in the daily tasks of working towards a common goal. When an employer points to a group, deems them special and recognizes their contributions the company is doing two things; favoring the group and inviting those that have that superficial characteristic to identify by that characteristic.

By favoring the group, the company creates resentment. Like it or not, people get jealous. When others are recognized for superficial characteristics, those that don't have those characteristics will resent both the company and the beneficiaries. It's a pretty common reaction.

By celebrating people with superficial characteristics, those that have those characteristics will take pride in them. The end result is they will congregate and identify with others that are similar. This brings us back to those stupid cliques we all remember from high school.

If we stopped celebrating diversity we could stop seeing our differences and start seeing our similarities. We could be employees of Company X, residents of a great city or maybe just Americans.

I work at a large company with diverse people, and I have never experienced any company celebrating people for no reason other than they are diverse. What are you even talking about?

Another ridiculous argument that if we all acted like white men then there would be no problem,

If you’re not a minority in any way then you’ll never understand this issue. It can be problematic especially within the LGBT community and within corporations when multiple minority support groups are competing for limited resources. Identity politics does create resentment.

They don’t strain too hard to bury the real lede though, y’know? ;)

Yet as you say, they cannot actually tell us what a white person is.

Not that you can tell what a black person is or any other colour.

This is actually about ethnicity. The most amusing thing about the op is that whites are just as diverse as any other colour. I do not go to a greek restaurant an order spaghetti.

If you’re not a minority in any way then you’ll never understand this issue. It can be problematic especially within the LGBT community and within corporations when multiple minority support groups are competing for limited resources. Identity politics does create resentment.

No, i do not think it is identity politics that create resentment. It is more that the attitude of the op is that we should hide away the identity so as to say we are all equal that creates resentment. Because in this case equal means "like me" rather than we all have a share of the pie.

Not to worry about diversity.

Demographers assure us that by the end of this century, Euro Americans will be a small segment of the American population.

The vast majority of people in the government and the workforce will be African Americans and Hispanic Americans (with some Asian Americans).

At that time, no doubt life in this country will then be all peaches & cream.

And that’s the problem. White people are so worried about the great brown takeover

Back
Top Bottom