• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Why Diversity Should NOT Be Celebrated

In what way. Is there a whites only section?

Oh absolutely, but by choice. It is most noticeable in break rooms. Men talk to men. Women talk to women. Blacks talk to blacks. Whites talk to whites. Muslims to Muslims. Christians to Christians. You get the point.

Oh absolutely, but by choice. It is most noticeable in break rooms. Men talk to men. Women talk to women. Blacks talk to blacks. Whites talk to whites. Muslims to Muslims. Christians to Christians. You get the point.

Do you wish to force people against their will to associate with others on their free time according to some assigned pattern?

Do you wish to force people against their will to associate with others on their free time according to some assigned pattern?

Reread the OP. I never said anything about forcing people to integrate. I never implied that. I didn't even come close. Stop trying to form my opinion into what you want it to be and take it for what it is.

Actually, I never assume we are all treated equally. In fact, the premise of the post is that to get to equality we have to stop intentionally separating ourselves by superficial characteristics. You claim to be progressive. Why do you disagree with the premise?

We have hit the same impasse as I explained in my last post: you are making leaps and demanding to know why people don’t agree with your made up premise and the resulting solution that supposedly fixes it.

People are treated differently due to implicit bias. And our country was founded on white supremacy. Your argument requires us to ignore history, psychology, and human nature.

I”ll be happy to discuss your argument, but you need to do a little more heavy lifting than framing a strawman and asking me why can’t we have nice things.

Reread the OP. I never said anything about forcing people to integrate. I never implied that. I didn't even come close. Stop trying to form my opinion into what you want it to be and take it for what it is.

That's why it had a question mark at the end.

You want people to choose not to.hang out with who they have the most in common with. Dumb idea

We have hit the same impasse as I explained in my last post: you are making leaps and demanding to know why people don’t agree with your made up premise and the resulting solution that supposedly fixes it.

People are treated differently due to implicit bias.

And where do you think that implicit bias comes from? People are bombarded every day with differences and told to accept that. Why not bombard people with similarities and let them change their own minds?

A
nd our country was founded on white supremacy.

No it wasn't. The Constitution was written in such a way that slavery would inevitably end. It didn't happen over night, but it never could. Major changes like that take time.

Your argument requires us to ignore history, psychology, and human nature.

No, you are projecting. Your conservative view that we should embrace history and maintain social norms is anything but progressive. However, my argument relies heavily on basic psychological principle of conformity. If our organizations (schools, employers, governments) don't point out those differences we will eventually move on. We will integrate. But it can't happen if we continue to reinforce social norms.

I”ll be happy to discuss your argument, but you need to do a little more heavy lifting than framing a strawman and asking me why can’t we have nice things.

I doubt it is worth discussing with you. You seem to be hell bent maintaining segregation and I'm not interested in interacting in discussing how to keep that.

That's why it had a question mark at the end.

You want people to choose not to.hang out with who they have the most in common with. Dumb idea

If you think race, sex or whatever is all we have in common then you must not do much.

How many people here work at a large company? Large companies routinely send out news letters that celebrate various minorities. Whether it is a race, sex, sexual orientation or religion, large companies celebrate the diversity of their employees every day. But what if they didn't?

I don't mean to say that companies should not hire people of various backgrounds. Far from it. I am saying, however, that when diversity is celebrated we reinforce social segregation that might other wise dissolve in the daily tasks of working towards a common goal. When an employer points to a group, deems them special and recognizes their contributions the company is doing two things; favoring the group and inviting those that have that superficial characteristic to identify by that characteristic.

By favoring the group, the company creates resentment. Like it or not, people get jealous. When others are recognized for superficial characteristics, those that don't have those characteristics will resent both the company and the beneficiaries. It's a pretty common reaction.

By celebrating people with superficial characteristics, those that have those characteristics will take pride in them. The end result is they will congregate and identify with others that are similar. This brings us back to those stupid cliques we all remember from high school.

If we stopped celebrating diversity we could stop seeing our differences and start seeing our similarities. We could be employees of Company X, residents of a great city or maybe just Americans.

Just admit you are jealous one and feel left behind because for whatever reason your background isn't being celebtrated. As Donald Trump would say "stop being a loser and a hater".

i know the racists HATE diversity. so they're kinda winning during this Trump era.

which will all be wiped away because Presidents are temporary.

How many people here work at a large company? Large companies routinely send out news letters that celebrate various minorities. Whether it is a race, sex, sexual orientation or religion, large companies celebrate the diversity of their employees every day. But what if they didn't?

I don't mean to say that companies should not hire people of various backgrounds. Far from it. I am saying, however, that when diversity is celebrated we reinforce social segregation that might other wise dissolve in the daily tasks of working towards a common goal. When an employer points to a group, deems them special and recognizes their contributions the company is doing two things; favoring the group and inviting those that have that superficial characteristic to identify by that characteristic.

By favoring the group, the company creates resentment. Like it or not, people get jealous. When others are recognized for superficial characteristics, those that don't have those characteristics will resent both the company and the beneficiaries. It's a pretty common reaction.

By celebrating people with superficial characteristics, those that have those characteristics will take pride in them. The end result is they will congregate and identify with others that are similar. This brings us back to those stupid cliques we all remember from high school.

If we stopped celebrating diversity we could stop seeing our differences and start seeing our similarities. We could be employees of Company X, residents of a great city or maybe just Americans.

I'm actually getting nauseated over the PC SJW crap. Let's say you've got a pool of 3,000 people or whatever number you want to use, could be one million. To celebrate the diversity of ONE person as being a fat transgender dwarf Muslim disabled illegal immigrant is, as I said, nauseating. That's where we are headed. Can't we just celebrate the fact that every single person is unique without having to individually celebrate 3,000 or one million people piecemeal to make sure we've celebrated every situation known to man?

No, it is just the only message that can be taken from such a rant. How dare anyone not behave as if being white is the only way to be. And is that not your message here. if all the other ethnicities just ignored their own customs and behaviours and just acted the same way then all would be good.

You are simply creating an utter straw man of the OP. It doesn’t remotely suggest any of this.

And where do you think that implicit bias comes from? People are bombarded every day with differences and told to accept that. Why not bombard people with similarities and let them change their own minds?

A

No it wasn't. The Constitution was written in such a way that slavery would inevitably end. It didn't happen over night, but it never could. Major changes like that take time.

No, you are projecting. Your conservative view that we should embrace history and maintain social norms is anything but progressive. However, my argument relies heavily on basic psychological principle of conformity. If our organizations (schools, employers, governments) don't point out those differences we will eventually move on. We will integrate. But it can't happen if we continue to reinforce social norms.

I doubt it is worth discussing with you. You seem to be hell bent maintaining segregation and I'm not interested in interacting in discussing how to keep that.

In order of argument:

- So you agree there is an overarching drumbeating that’s taken course over hundreds of years to convince us of a false set of choices/realities, and you feel it’s systemic enough that it’s completely corrupted the way the populace sees things? TESTIFY, BROTHER.

- and then Jim Crow happened. Another milestone in the American march towards loving and respecting each other as equals and definitely *not* designed to take advantage of the capital while keeping it’s fair share from it, and the power and leverage that goes with it. CAN’T TRUSS IT.

- So you want me to accept your feelings over real things that affect what we’re talking about. Hell no. Bring the #facts or bring a bib and I’ll feed ya.

- You better run.

You are simply creating an utter straw man of the OP. It doesn’t remotely suggest any of this.

No, not a strawman. Your simply trying to hide the bigotry. You claim that characteristics are superficial because to you they are not your own. You care nothing and probably even despise any who do not have your characteristics. Why should they not have pride in the differences their ethnicity gives them.

If we stop diversity then we all become the same and of course that same would be as you want it to be.

Yes, the way we stopped seeing our differences in the 1930s. :lol:

Not to worry about diversity.

Demographers assure us that by the end of this century, Euro Americans will be a small segment of the American population.

The vast majority of people in the government and the workforce will be African Americans and Hispanic Americans (with some Asian Americans).

At that time, no doubt life in this country will then be all peaches & cream.

Your fear is palpable.

[

No, not a strawman. Your simply trying to hide the bigotry. You claim that characteristics are superficial because to you they are not your own. You care nothing and probably even despise any who do not have your characteristics. Why should they not have pride in the differences their ethnicity gives them.

If we stop diversity then we all become the same and of course that same would be as you want it to be.
All of this is utter trash straw manning and falsely demonizing. It isn’t worthy of a rationed response.

If you want to really discuss it, I am willing.

[

All of this is utter trash straw manning and falsely demonizing. It isn’t worthy of a rationed response.

If you want to really discuss it, I am willing.

No, i doubt you are willing to do anything but pretend yours is not a bigoted response.

So answer one simple question. If the characteristics of minorities are superficial then which groups characteristics are not superficial enough that we should all act the same way as?

No, i doubt you are willing to do anything but pretend yours is not a bigoted response.

So answer one simple question. If the characteristics of minorities are superficial then which groups characteristics are not superficial enough that we should all act the same way as?

I don’t answer to those telling lies and calling names, if another poster wishes to pose that same question, or you have a change of attitude and do not condemn based upon speculation, I am willing and desire reasoanble debate.

Another ridiculous argument that if we all acted like white men then there would be no problem,
First we need to define what acting white even means -- then we can decide if it's something that we should classify as belonging to any certain race. How does that sound?

Let's get some details on what you believe "acting like white men" constitutes.

In order of argument:

- So you agree there is an overarching drumbeating that’s taken course over hundreds of years to convince us of a false set of choices/realities, and you feel it’s systemic enough that it’s completely corrupted the way the populace sees things? TESTIFY, BROTHER.

LMAO...you went from hating the premise of my post to loving it and then you said: "So you want me to accept your feelings over real things that affect what we’re talking about. Hell no. Bring the #facts or bring a bib and I’ll feed ya." Who is feeding who here? You've been pwned in this thread. You've had no substance. You've been wildly inconsistent. And then you say this:

- and then Jim Crow happened. Another milestone in the American march towards loving and respecting each other as equals and definitely *not* designed to take advantage of the capital while keeping it’s fair share from it, and the power and leverage that goes with it. CAN’T TRUSS IT.

What the hell are you talking about? How does this tie into anything in here?

But I have to say the obvious, Jim Crow laws were bad. Democrats never should have done it. Our justice system righted that wrong in time. Not fast enough if you lived through it, but it did right that wrong. That is the genius of a document like our Constitution. The abstract premise of individual rights is codified in writing and will win in any debate. The next phase of winning that debate is making MLK's dream reality. And we do that by not using skin color (or sex, religion, etc) as an identifying trait. Something I still think you are arguing against.

- So you want me to accept your feelings over real things that affect what we’re talking about. Hell no. Bring the #facts or bring a bib and I’ll feed ya.

- You better run.

Why are you threatening me? Can't we just talk about how to institute change? Does everything have to be met with anger?

Are you under some kind of cult spell or your own delusions that diversity is just going to go away if you pretend it doesn't exist? Wow.

Back
Top Bottom