• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Why Diversity Should NOT Be Celebrated

Yet as you say, they cannot actually tell us what a white person is.

Not that you can tell what a black person is or any other colour.

This is actually about ethnicity. The most amusing thing about the op is that whites are just as diverse as any other colour. I do not go to a greek restaurant an order spaghetti.

Oh, oh, oh, hand raised, pick me, pick me: white culture:

Smithsonian Museum of African American History and Culture now includes a web page about “whiteness” in America

“ SMITHSONIAN MUSEUM OF AFRICAN AMERICAN HISTORY AND CULTURE NOW INCLUDES A WEB PAGE ABOUT “WHITENESS” IN AMERICA”

Since removed, LOL.

The left stokes racism and keeps it alive. Without it, they have no relevance and everyone would rightfully ignore them. The left thrives on division so that's what they provide.

You'd think the historical victims of racism would share your ideology if that were the case but if its the left that thrives on division why is it the white wing thats so demographically homogeneous? :unsure13:

Yet as you say, they cannot actually tell us what a white person is.

Not that you can tell what a black person is or any other colour.

This is actually about ethnicity. The most amusing thing about the op is that whites are just as diverse as any other colour. I do not go to a greek restaurant an order spaghetti.

Oh, are you sure they can’t tell us what a Black person is? They seem to *love* defining for Black people how Black or not Black they are.

Just like they enjoy telling Black people how American or not American they are. (“American” = “The ones that shut up and dribble”.)

So what's the difference? Companies choose less qualified people all the time, for a wide variety of reasons, not just for "diversity".

The difference is simple. If you need to have someone drive a tractor, you hire a guy who can drive a tractor, not a guy who can build a tractor, though he may have greater qualifications in the sense of education and technical skills. There is no reason for a company, when looking at two candidates, to hire the clearly less qualified one simply to cater to some idea of diversity. When two candidates are fairly equally qualified then it's a different story.

these guys HATE diversity...

800px-Little_Rock_integration_protest.jpg

Oh, are you sure they can’t tell us what a Black person is? They seem to *love* defining for Black people how Black or not Black they are.

Just like they enjoy telling Black people how American or not American they are. (“American” = “The ones that shut up and dribble”.)

It's not just america with that problem. Here in nz the maori are still trying to get the pakeha ( means ghost/ white person ) to stop stealing their children.

It's not just america with that problem. Here in nz the maori are still trying to get the pakeha ( means ghost/ white person ) to stop stealing their children.

May I be a pain in the ass and ask you for a link(s) to a resource for that, please? I am intensely interested where locals go for info in issues directly affecting them in other countries.

May I be a pain in the ass and ask you for a link(s) to a resource for that, please? I am intensely interested where locals go for info in issues directly affecting them in other countries.

Where else can the indigenous go for information but to themselves.
Whānau Ora - Call for action on the practices of state removal of tamariki
“Whānau are faced with intergenerational trauma from a state care system that does not properly recognise and consider their needs. Too much power in the hands of state and not enough accountability are real issues,” says Merepeka.

“This agency has failed review after review and continues to be rewarded with more and more resourcing. Meanwhile, Māorimade policy that’s proved to work gets peanuts. We have Māori providers lining up to meet the needs of whānau in a culturally appropriate way that values whānau and works to support them to realise their best potential.

“We know the system needs to change. We know Māori organisations supporting whānau appropriately to Māori culture need adequate resourcing, but today we are all here to work together toward solutions” says Merepeka.

You'd think the historical victims of racism would share your ideology if that were the case but if its the left that thrives on division why is it the white wing thats so demographically homogeneous? :unsure13:

Demographically homogeneous? What the hell does that mean? Your problem is that you think all white people hate you. As for the historical victims of racism, the left wants them to think that they'll be victims forever, that nothing has changed in 100 years and that's why they need the left to run their lives. The hard truth is that the left has done nothing for minorities other than keep them fearful and dependent.

Boom! Shame on me. Thank you!! What a great resource. And man that’s all ****ed up.

At the moment we are in election mode so most material on it now is a bit political in slant.

Nothing new, the english christian culture have been stealing children to make them into pretend british from the first time they started colonising. Trouble is they are still doing it.

Demographically homogeneous? What the hell does that mean?

You know exactly what that means. Your claim is that it's the left fomenting division and yet its the left where you find a diverse electorate. Black Christians, gay and lesbian couples, muslim immigrants, jewish academics, struggling millennials and affluent housewives, all voting for Democratic candidates. That doesn't sound divisive to me. See, you guys just blurt out these nonsensical statements that have no basis in reality.

Your problem is that you think all white people hate you. As for the historical victims of racism, the left wants them to think that they'll be victims forever, that nothing has changed in 100 years and that's why they need the left to run their lives.

Nope. That's the strawman you've built up because you're too fragile to listen to any criticism of your culture or this country. Your problem is that you don’t think anyone notices the inherent racism in your assumption that black people have no agency. The left is telling us this and the left is telling us that and we are all apparently incapable of drawing any conclusions for ourselves.

The hard truth is that the left has done nothing for minorities other than keep them fearful and dependent.

So you think the government should do something for minorities do you? :lamo

Ok, let's hear your plan.

peacefulpartier said:
<snip> Large companies routinely send out news letters that celebrate various minorities. <snip>

I was wondering, since this is the meat of your OP, if you could find just one example of such a letter? I've never seen, nor heard of anything like this before.

The difference is simple. If you need to have someone drive a tractor, you hire a guy who can drive a tractor, not a guy who can build a tractor, though he may have greater qualifications in the sense of education and technical skills. There is no reason for a company, when looking at two candidates, to hire the clearly less qualified one simply to cater to some idea of diversity. When two candidates are fairly equally qualified then it's a different story.

Then let me ask you this. Is it wrong for a businessman to hire his niece to be his secretary, even when there are other, better qualified individuals who want the position?

And if it's not wrong for him to hire his less qualified niece, then why is it wrong to hire a less qualified black man?

Then let me ask you this. Is it wrong for a businessman to hire his niece to be his secretary, even when there are other, better qualified individuals who want the position?

And if it's not wrong for him to hire his less qualified niece, then why is it wrong to hire a less qualified black man?

Hiring his niece is counterproductive if she can't do the job required or can't do it as well as someone else. That goes for any potential hire.

No. I said racism would go away if we stopped point out our differences and picking favorites. Try to read for comprehension.

Did that approach work prior to the civil rights movement? Clearly one segment of the population felt it was important enough to point out our differences by preventing another segment of our population from going to the same schools, businesses etc. There was an established "picking favorites" in place which had to be overcome through a massive movement. These kind of changes don't come easy.

Hiring his niece is counterproductive if she can't do the job required or can't do it as well as someone else. That goes for any potential hire.

Ok, but that isn't what I asked. I asked if it would be wrong, in your opinion, for a businessman to hire his niece to be his secretary.

Ok, but that isn't what I asked. I asked if it would be wrong, in your opinion, for a businessman to hire his niece to be his secretary.

If your argument is that people should be able to hire anyone even if it hurts their business, I agree. If your argument is that people should be forced by law to do so, then I most decidedly disagree.

How many people here work at a large company? Large companies routinely send out news letters that celebrate various minorities. Whether it is a race, sex, sexual orientation or religion, large companies celebrate the diversity of their employees every day. But what if they didn't?

I don't mean to say that companies should not hire people of various backgrounds. Far from it. I am saying, however, that when diversity is celebrated we reinforce social segregation that might other wise dissolve in the daily tasks of working towards a common goal. When an employer points to a group, deems them special and recognizes their contributions the company is doing two things; favoring the group and inviting those that have that superficial characteristic to identify by that characteristic.

By favoring the group, the company creates resentment. Like it or not, people get jealous. When others are recognized for superficial characteristics, those that don't have those characteristics will resent both the company and the beneficiaries. It's a pretty common reaction.

By celebrating people with superficial characteristics, those that have those characteristics will take pride in them. The end result is they will congregate and identify with others that are similar. This brings us back to those stupid cliques we all remember from high school.

If we stopped celebrating diversity we could stop seeing our differences and start seeing our similarities. We could be employees of Company X, residents of a great city or maybe just Americans.
An interesting utterly flawed view.

Back
Top Bottom