• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Why didn't Trump impose the sanctions approved by Congress.

independentusa

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Today the talking heads are saying that the Trump administration never imposed the latest sanctions imposed by Congress. I just want to understand why he did not do so?I hear the Trumpsters always saying he has been tough on the Russians, if so, why did he not impose the sanctions approved for him to do so?

Today the talking heads are saying that the Trump administration never imposed the latest sanctions imposed by Congress. I just want to understand why he did not do so?I hear the Trumpsters always saying he has been tough on the Russians, if so, why did he not impose the sanctions approved for him to do so?

He promised Putin that he would would drop the sanctions and not impose anymore. Congress would not let him drop them but he refused to enact the others claiming they we unneeded...

Because he’s NOT tough on Russia?

The whole idea that he’s tough on Russia is an absurd delusion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Because he is a Russian asset and has not been given the official okay by Putin to do so.

Because he’s NOT tough on Russia?

The whole idea that he’s tough on Russia is an absurd delusion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He's so tough he dragged his heels imposing previously passed sanctions on Russia and is doing it again. You might think that lets them off really, but you see, what he's really doing is holding uncertainty over their head. And uncertainty scares people sometimes. Yup.

If he is in Putin's pocket explain why Trump is backing the opposition in Venezuela?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

So to answer your question, congress imposed sanctions on a number of individuals. One of which, owned a majority interest in three companies, including the second largest producer of aluminum in the world, so they were pulled into the sanctions. These companies protested, stating that they are global companies who had nothing to do with election interference - and the sanctions on those companies were suspended pending a review. (For example, the largest has a British president and sells us aluminum manufactured in Ireland.) The administration (and I believe it was actually the commerce department, not the white house) came to an agreement that the Russian stockholder would take actions to insulate himself from the companies (sell stock to below 50%, withdraw from the boards,etc) in exchange for these specific companies being removed from the sanctions umbrella. Sanctions remain against the Russian, and others, originally targeted.

Note that there was a lot of pressure to make this change - including from US companies.

Back
Top Bottom