• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Why did the Senate Republicans stand against collecting legally owed taxes?

Why did the Senate Republicans stand against collecting legally owed taxes?

• Ideologic dissonance (enforce the laws on the books, but not tax laws)

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Personal interest (they were afraid that they would have to make payments)

Votes: 5 62.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 25.0%

• Total voters
What? It is Democrats who want to overturn the Republican tax plan that limits SALT deductions to 10K. If democrats are ever successful at doing this, only the rich will benefit.
Why should other tax payers fund blue state and local taxes?
Why can't those tax payers who are being demanded to pay those state and local taxes tell their state and local governments to live within their means?

You think the IRS focuses on $35,000 per year Joe Lunchpail?
Yes. My taxes went up during Trump and when the GOP controlled Congress.

The cuts they did were not cuts; the simply changed where the money went.

So, yeah, they do because someone has to foot the bill and the rich got a pass. But not those of us who are working for a living.

Yes. My taxes went up during Trump and when the GOP controlled Congress.

The cuts they did were not cuts; the simply changed where the money went.

So, yeah, they do because someone has to foot the bill and the rich got a pass. But not those of us who are working for a living.
Your federal taxes did not go up

Even though many of the trump supporters are working class, they were told by the former Rush Limbaugh that the rich shouldn't have to pay taxes and the trump supporters loved Rush Limbaugh.

That's why they don't want to see the IRS funded. Funding the IRS will cost rich people money, and the formerly Rush Limbaugh wouldn't approve.

You have the link where Rush said that??

Must Listen! Rush Explains Who Pays Taxes​

What? It is Democrats who want to overturn the Republican tax plan that limits SALT deductions to 10K. If democrats are ever successful at doing this, only the rich will benefit.
And that relates to my post how? I'm not rich, but I'd benefit. I live in CA.

Notice how little states want some people to pay more in legally owed taxes? That's so they can suckle at the wealthy states while they get services they won't pay for.

It’s part of the bipartisan deal, so yeah.
D passing something that doesn't include something doesn't show support for that something.

"Portman, who is involved in negotiating the bill, cited “pushback” from fellow Republican lawmakers who dislike the idea of expanding the reach of the IRS, which they have accused over the years of unfairly targeting conservatives. He said another reason the IRS provision was shelved is that Democrats are including a more robust enforcement plan in a separate $3.5 trillion infrastructure bill that they intend to pass through the Senate using special budget rules and without Republican votes."

Why should other tax payers fund blue state and local taxes?
Why can't those tax payers who are being demanded to pay those state and local taxes tell their state and local governments to live within their means?
Apparently the left don't feel that blue state rich people should have to pay their fair share of taxes.

It is accepted that every one dollar the IRS spends in collecting legally owed taxes generates more than one dollar in tax revenue (I've seen estimates ranging up to 6/1).

Why did the Senate Republicans toss that provision from the supposed bipartisan Infrastructure Bill?
We need more specifics.

wait. we're not collecting legally owed taxes??

are we also letting other thieves get away on purpose?

It is accepted that every one dollar the IRS spends in collecting legally owed taxes generates more than one dollar in tax revenue (I've seen estimates ranging up to 6/1).

Why did the Senate Republicans toss that provision from the supposed bipartisan Infrastructure Bill?

Republicans cut taxes for the rich at every opportunity. This is just another way to defend the wealth of the wealthy. It's why the republican party exist.

Congrats! You’ve found a way to pay for exactly 6 days of Bernie’s single payer proposal. We’ll have to put the kibosh on it after that because, you know, that alone would cost $4 TRILLION per year.
Non sequitur, it's not proposed to pay for that. Why is it that when a government program is proposed, 'fiscal conservatives' only speak of costs, but never recognize cost savings or revenue generated?

Honest mistake or spin?

Your federal taxes did not go up
Federal tax rates may not have gone up, but my federal taxes have also gone up each of the last two years. Your statement is deemed to be uninformed as stated.,

Try again, or quote the part you think explains the analysis.
The total number in a group impacts the rate of participation. If the IRS has 1 million people at the lowest rate and 1,000 at the highest, auditing 1% would result in 10,000 lower tax rate audits and 10 higher rate audits. Increasing the rate of audits would only increase the audit rate incrementally. The IRS needs to move to the John Dillinger theory of tax audits. Audit where the money is.

Not sure what you think my position is, I'll restate.
The IRS needs to spend far more time auditing top income earners than lower and middle income earners.

Non sequitur, it's not proposed to pay for that. Why is it that when a government program is proposed, 'fiscal conservatives' only speak of costs, but never recognize cost savings or revenue generated?

Honest mistake or spin?
And therein lies the problem. Democrats never propose any method of paying for their drunken sailor spending. There is no cost savings or revenue in proposals that are only ever about spending.

The GOP is the party of the wealthy and corporations.

They would rather further burden the middle class than have the wealthy pay their fair share.
Actually, the wealthy pay waaaay more then there fair share now. ...........The bulk of all tax's paid are paid by the top 20% of earners

And therein lies the problem. Democrats never propose any method of paying for their drunken sailor spending. There is no cost savings or revenue in proposals that are only ever about spending.
Not paying attention are you. D's have pay fors all over the infrastructure bill. R's prefer to increase user fees and the national debt.

I heard the drunken sailors called in and said even they stop spending when they run out of money.

Even though many of the trump supporters are working class, they were told by the former Rush Limbaugh that the rich shouldn't have to pay taxes and the trump supporters loved Rush Limbaugh.

That's why they don't want to see the IRS funded. Funding the IRS will cost rich people money, and the formerly Rush Limbaugh wouldn't approve.

Rush never said that.

Back
Top Bottom