• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Why did the Senate Republicans stand against collecting legally owed taxes?

Why did the Senate Republicans stand against collecting legally owed taxes?

• Ideologic dissonance (enforce the laws on the books, but not tax laws)

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Personal interest (they were afraid that they would have to make payments)

Votes: 5 62.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 25.0%

• Total voters

mrjurrs

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
It is accepted that every one dollar the IRS spends in collecting legally owed taxes generates more than one dollar in tax revenue (I've seen estimates ranging up to 6/1).

Why did the Senate Republicans toss that provision from the supposed bipartisan Infrastructure Bill?

Republicans are looking for ways to cut costs as Democrats continue to add more and more spending. The issue of chronically underfunding the IRS is not a partisan one.

Republicans are looking for ways to cut costs as Democrats continue to add more and more spending. The issue of chronically underfunding the IRS is not a partisan one.

Collecting legally owed taxes, which the Reoublicans oppose, would help cut costs.

It is accepted that every one dollar the IRS spends in collecting legally owed taxes generates more than one dollar in tax revenue (I've seen estimates ranging up to 6/1).

Why did the Senate Republicans toss that provision from the supposed bipartisan Infrastructure Bill?

The Republicans denying the IRS the resources and expertise to collect taxes owed by the rich means they are willing to let it focus on middle class and working class schmuck like you and me.

Thanks, Republicans!

The GOP is the party of the wealthy and corporations.

They would rather further burden the middle class than have the wealthy pay their fair share.

And the R's feel cutting something that generates net positive revenue is the way to fix that issue? Can you show me any D support for this cut?

Not by a long shot in the amounts we’re talking about.
They never claimed it would. But they did believe that it would collect an additional $700 billion over 10 years.

The Republicans denying the IRS the resources and expertise to collect taxes owed by the rich means they are willing to let it focus on middle class and working class schmuck like you and me.

Thanks, Republicans!
You think the IRS focuses on $35,000 per year Joe Lunchpail?

The GOP is the party of the wealthy and corporations.

They would rather further burden the middle class than have the wealthy pay their fair share.
That may have been true in the past, but the wealthy and the corporations are now comfortably on the left.

the problem is they are too short staffed in key positions to focus on joe megabucks

its like a spider web
only the smaller targets get caught
the large ones break through the web and escape

And the R's feel cutting something that generates net positive revenue is the way to fix that issue? Can you show me any D support for this cut?
Chronically underfunding the IRS has been a bipartisan effort.

correct

those bribes ... i mean campaign contributions ... don't come from those with modest incomes

They never claimed it would. But they did believe that it would collect an additional $700 billion over 10 years.
Congrats! You’ve found a way to pay for exactly 6 days of Bernie’s single payer proposal. We’ll have to put the kibosh on it after that because, you know, that alone would cost $4 TRILLION per year.

What? It is Democrats who want to overturn the Republican tax plan that limits SALT deductions to 10K. If democrats are ever successful at doing this, only the rich will benefit.

GOP is bought and paid for by the elite, and the idiots voting for them who work for a living are retired or collecting disability are too stupid to understand it.

Can you provide us a link to an analysis explaining how this has been determined?

Do those calculations count the cost to taxpayers to respond to the additional audits, including audits of people who DON'T owe money?

I don't know, do you think they focus on the top income group?

I'll ask you again, can you show me any D support for this cut?

Can you provide us a link to an analysis explaining how this has been determined?

Do those calculations count the cost to taxpayers to respond to the additional audits, including audits of people who DON'T owe money?

Maybe this?

More Money to the IRS for Predatory Audits? Hell, No​

https://www.nationalreview.com/2021/07/more-money-to-the-irs-for-predatory-audits-hell-no/

Especially when the tax collectors are leaking like a sieve, a $40 billion infusion would make a troubling practice worse.

Every other week, it seems, the leftist tax-exempt nonprofit Pro Publica (which poses as a media outlet) publishes another tranche of tax records illegally leaked from the IRS. This disclosure, which is a federal criminal felony punishable by up to five years in prison for every count, invariably targets rich or famous taxpayers. The stories are overhyped (“how dare he claim depreciation!”), but the goal is always the same: Use IRS data which is supposed to be locked down tight to troll the rich or famous in service of higher taxes on the rest of us.

Even though many of the trump supporters are working class, they were told by the former Rush Limbaugh that the rich shouldn't have to pay taxes and the trump supporters loved Rush Limbaugh.

That's why they don't want to see the IRS funded. Funding the IRS will cost rich people money, and the formerly Rush Limbaugh wouldn't approve.

Back
Top Bottom