• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Why Did Democrats Vote Against Tim Scott's Police Reform Bill?

Why Did Democrats Vote Against Tim Scott's Police Reform Bill?

• Democrats Only Care About Black Lives If It Helps Get Biden Into Office

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Democrats Felt The Bill Wasn't Complete

Votes: 10 58.8%
  • Democrats Have No Respect For Black Conservatives

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • This Isn't Really About Police Reform, It Is About Getting Trump Out Of Office

Votes: 4 23.5%

• Total voters
For the academically challenged, that is an anecdote, not a source.

Do you need sources stating the political party of the mayors? Just look it up...

I'm on vacation and the Wi-Fi here is awful.

99% of what is called racial division is political. In fact 99% of everything is political nowadays.

If you are opposed to crime, why do you not support efforts to ban guns?
Although I’m curious as to how X Factor responds to this I would simply say banning guns won’t stop criminals from obtaining guns. For that you have to confiscate ALL weapons. Is that what you are advocating?

Although I’m curious as to how X Factor responds to this I would simply say banning guns won’t stop criminals from obtaining guns. For that you have to confiscate ALL weapons. Is that what you are advocating?

I am not advocating anything, I am showing the flaw with an argument by example. The idea that if you support reforms to police, you should support any and all reform is stupid, as I am trying to highlight.

Why did Democrats vote against Tim Scott's Police Reform Bill this past summer?

"We saw how seriously congressional Democrats were taking police reform when Sen. Richard J. Durbin (D-Ill.), the second-ranking Democratic leader, dismissed legislation introduced by Sen. Tim Scott (R-S.C.) as a “token, half-hearted approach.” For Durbin to question the seriousness and sincerity of Scott — a black man who has personally experienced police discrimination — was disgraceful. Scott said of Durbin’s comment, “to call this a token process hurts my soul.” (Durbin later apologized to Scott.)"

What Democrats should be apologizing for was their shameful vote on the Senate floor Wednesday to kill Scott’s legislation — and with it any chance of passing police reform this year.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin...orm-they-would-have-advanced-tim-scotts-bill/

Don't black lives matter?

Here is the bottom line answer to the question:

Pelosi and company are loathe to give any credit at all to the Republicans for wanting to reform police tactics.
That doesn't mean she and her minions want to see more criminals abused by police.
Pelosi is more concerned about where her next salon appointment will be and how she is going to avoid scrutiny in a salon.

If Tim Scott actually knew anything about police discrimination he wouldn't be a member of the Republican Party. This bill accomplishes nothing. Republicans are just hoping that they can use their one token black man(who was appointed to the Senate and never had to face a Republican Primary) to make themselves seem like they care without actually doing something at all.

Scott's bill was a start of a discussion that the Dems did not want to have.
Heaven forbid that the Republicans should get any credit at all for police reform.

"Scott's bill would create reporting requirements on the use of deadly force by officers and the use of no-knock warrants. It addresses new training for officers and would establish a commission to study how Black men and boys are affected by a host of issues, including education and criminal justice. "

see Sen. Tim Scott unveils GOP police bill that would discourage chokeholds

Do you need sources stating the political party of the mayors? Just look it up...

I'm on vacation and the Wi-Fi here is awful.

No, I need a source for this statement..."Republican mayors ensure their police officers aren’t racist. Apparently, Democratic mayors don’t care."

"We saw how seriously congressional Democrats were taking police reform when Sen. Richard J. Durbin (D-Ill.), the second-ranking Democratic leader, dismissed legislation introduced by Sen. Tim Scott (R-S.C.) as a “token, half-hearted approach.” For Durbin to question the seriousness and sincerity of Scott — a black man who has personally experienced police discrimination — was disgraceful. Scott said of Durbin’s comment, “to call this a token process hurts my soul.” (Durbin later apologized to Scott.)"

What Democrats should be apologizing for was their shameful vote on the Senate floor Wednesday to kill Scott’s legislation — and with it any chance of passing police reform this year.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin...orm-they-would-have-advanced-tim-scotts-bill/

Police reform are state and local issues. The feds shouldn't be involved in the state's affairs. We just witnessed Portland throwing out fed law enforcement and now the left want to have a say in the feds mandating local law enforcement? Surely even they don't want that, which is why it probably failed.

No, I need a source for this statement..."Republican mayors ensure their police officers aren’t racist. Apparently, Democratic mayors don’t care."

Since Trump took office, there have been accusations of racist police brutality against black individuals in Sacramento, Louisville, Oxford MS, Vallejo CA, Dallas, Minneapolis, Atlanta, and Kenosha WI.

All of these local PDs are overseen by Democratic mayors.

I can put up links tonight if you need them.

This absolutely proves that Biden and the democrats hate police and do not care what happens to them out on the streets.

If someone truly supports an issue, any advancement or improvement would probably be welcome regardless of who proposed it. Currently, though, there are very few (if any) politicians on either side that are interested more in addressing issue than being perceived as the winner or being on the winning side.

Maybe it would be easier to understand this if you look through football-shaped glasses.

Remember when the everybody went bonkers over the worst non-call in NFL history? You know, the one that was both defensive pass interference and a personal foul any college player would get ejected for? Well, of course the NFL had every reason to study all obviously incorrect pass interference calls and non-calls being reviewable for one year. Many games have been decided by OPI and DPI being either called on the wrong player, called when there should not be a flag, or not called when everyone could see it.

Well, unfortunately it did not work out. The wonderful idea blew up immediately and coaches continued to complain they still don't know what pass interference is. Too often neither coaches nor replay officials knew when to use it. So the wonderful idea everyone except Mike Brown had been waiting a long time for is dead.

Lawmakers, of course, know they can't do a 12-month trial like this if they are unsure about the effects (both good and bad) of a great idea. If they manage to fall into the same pit, there is no way out.

Back
Top Bottom