• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Why Conservatives Are Obsessed With Cultural Issues

Even sales taxes are progressive, since those who have more money buy more expensive things and are paying more in taxes for them as well.
Correct as far as that goes, but the percentage of their income poor people use for sales taxes is higher, as they spend more of their income than rich folk. Colorado even used to have a sales tax on food when I lived there, but I think it is now limited to a few grocery items.

That's funny, seeing as Wokeism has turned into a cult all it's own.

Cults usually have a single leader that is looked up to as almost godlike. Trump is your L. Ron Hubbard or Jim Jones. Hope the orange kool-aid is delicious.

Apparently you missed conservatives fighting off guargantuan spending bills loaded with LW pork. Spending and defiicits aren’t really “cultural” issues, right?

That's pretty ballsy of you to bring up the very issue conservatives will do a complete 180 on depending on who is in the White House. They have no principles, especially on economic issues.

That sounds like ANY politician.
No, not really, most democrats, and a few Republicans like Chenney, Kiplinger's etc. Actually care about principle and policy.

Even sales taxes are progressive, since those who have more money buy more expensive things and are paying more in taxes for them as well.
No sales taxes are not progressive. Poor people spend nearly 100% of their income each month, because they don't have much choice, living from pay check to pay check.

So a 7% sales tax amounts to additional 7% income tax on the poor. Where as a high income person only spends a fraction of their income. Yes the sales tax isn't 7% of their income, but 7% of a small fraction of their income........resulting in a miniscule tax on their income.

It is regressive not progressive......third world crap.

That's pretty ballsy of you to bring up the very issue conservatives will do a complete 180 on depending on who is in the White House. They have no principles, especially on economic issues.
Eh. Conservatism's principles remain. Many Republicans turned out to be spineless in their defense when weighed against tribalism, but, that's a very human failing.

lol... Anyone who claims that "Marxists" are still active in 2021 really can't be taken seriously.
It's not me that is making that claim.

BLM co-founder describes herself as 'trained Marxist'

https://nypost.com/2020/06/25/blm-co-founder-describes-herself-as-trained-marxist/
Jun 25, 2020Black Lives Matter co-founder describes herself as 'trained Marxist'. Black Lives Matter co-founder Patrisse Cullors said in a newly surfaced video from 2015 that she and her fellow organizers ...

BLM Leader Attempts to Explain Why Being a Marxist and a ...

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/katie...-and-a-millionaire-isnt-hypocritical-n2588042
Apr 17, 2021Black Lives Matter leader Patrice Cullors is a self-proclaimed "trained Marxist" who regularly advocates for the redistribution of wealth through government force. Over the years and as BLM has ...

"Trained Marxist" and BLM Co-Founder Patrisse Cullors Says ...

https://legalinsurrection.com/2021/...er-her-personal-wealth-is-a-tactic-of-terror/
We've covered several of these stories, including in "Trained Marxist" and BLM Co-Founder Patrisse Cullors Signs Warner Bros. TV Deal and "Trained Marxist" and BLM Co-Founder Patrisse Cullors Reportedly Buys $1.4m Estate. The Daily Caller recently broke yet another such story. In this one, the conservative news outlet reported that ...

So I guess you don't take BLM seriously?

Eh. Conservatism's principles remain. Many Republicans turned out to be spineless in their defense when weighed against tribalism, but, that's a very human failing.

Heh. Many?

Let's face it. The overwhelming majority of self-identified conservatives don't actually believe in the conservative movement's stated principles, beyond ranting about cultural decline.

Sales tax is crazy regressive.

Let's say the sales tax is 7%. You earn $30,000 a year and buy a Ford Escrt for $10,000. You would pay $700 in taxes. That's 2.3 percent of your income. Now, take a guy who earns $1 million a year and buys a Lincoln Continental for $40,000, he will pay $2,800 in tax. That's three-tenths of 1 percent of his income. You will have contributed eight times as much, proportionately, to support the government than the millionaire - and his car is worth 4 times more than yours.

https://nypost.com/2020/06/25/blm-co-founder-describes-herself-as-trained-marxist/
Jun 25, 2020Black Lives Matter co-founder describes herself as 'trained Marxist'. Black Lives Matter co-founder Patrisse Cullors said in a newly surfaced video from 2015 that she and her fellow organizers ...

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/katie...-and-a-millionaire-isnt-hypocritical-n2588042
Apr 17, 2021Black Lives Matter leader Patrice Cullors is a self-proclaimed "trained Marxist" who regularly advocates for the redistribution of wealth through government force. Over the years and as BLM has ...

https://legalinsurrection.com/2021/...er-her-personal-wealth-is-a-tactic-of-terror/
We've covered several of these stories, including in "Trained Marxist" and BLM Co-Founder Patrisse Cullors Signs Warner Bros. TV Deal and "Trained Marxist" and BLM Co-Founder Patrisse Cullors Reportedly Buys $1.4m Estate. The Daily Caller recently broke yet another such story. In this one, the conservative news outlet reported that ...

Is she active in

Is she or BLM promlugating Marxism? No.

Seems like more than ever conservatives are hyper focused on cultural debates and far less focused on economic issues. While I consider many cultural and societal issues to be important, they are often used as a distraction from our economic problems. I think a big reason why conservatives are so focused on culture is because they dont know where they stand on economics. Are they free market or protectionist? Pro big corporation or anti big corporation? They dont know. It seems like the American conservative movement is stuck in limbo and so they direct their ire towards non issues like Mr Potato Head or publication of Dr. Seuss books no one has ever read.
interesting and i actually agree but for different reasons

first of all, the left is obsessed with culture more

Second, it is a GOOD thing that we stopped talking about taxes

we are now talking about the social issues but the wrong issues, i dont CARE about womens sports, i care that our country is literally dying

Heh. Many?

Let's face it. The overwhelming majority of self-identified conservatives don't actually believe in the conservative movement's stated principles, beyond ranting about cultural decline.
I get that, but, I think it's too easy. Rather, at the end of the day, the pull of Tribe was stronger :-(

To me, that was the scariest thing about the entire election year. It reminded me of reading about Germans taking an oath of loyalty not to their country, but personally to Adolf. (Did anything like this happen before with a major party?) The GOP will recover, however, as the indictments come down and Trump influence fades.
Didn't Comey say that Trump wanted his oath of personal loyalty? Trump denied it of course, but I find Comey more credible.

I read in some book on immigration that a New York newspaper editorialized that "if it weren't for Germans and Irish, a policeman's job would be a sinecure." The more things change...

I highly recommend that book, "A Nation of Strangers" by Ellis Cose. Well written account of both how US has welcomed and resented immigrants.

Thanks for the recommendation. Nativism seems to be as American as apple pie.

Actually, a huge reason why I moved from the right to the left was because conservatives always seemed obsessed with stupid ass culture wars that age poorly. Remember 'freedom fries?' Or that PoS Kim Davis and her refusal to marry a gay couple?

And I'm not saying there aren't leftists out there with cringey takes on cultural issues. Some do actually take 'cancel culture' too far (just as the right do on their end). But conservatives are mostly just raging at Twitter warriors and woke teenagers. They are nobodies. The somebodies in leftwing media typically focus on economic issues. I'm talking ACTUAL leftwing media like Democracy Now, David Pakman, Majority Report, etc.
Lol, the left never focuses on cultural issues like murdering babies and sodomy. What fantasy world are you living in?

First, love the last line, hadn't heard it. But I agree that the left often tends to get focused on cultural issues as well, when - in my view - they would do better on economic issues. ("Conservatives marched on the White House," went the saying, "while liberals marched on the English Department"). But a lot of the left's focus on language is confined to academia, tho it trickles out to democrats and can be annoying to the average person. The left will still talk about economic issues as they should since they they are winners there in public opinion. The right gives the impression, however, that cultural issues are all they've got, when they can act usefully with cautionary tales concerning liberal ideas and proposed policies. DeSantis's pilgrimage to the border and attacking critical race theory seem obviously a prelude to a run in 2024, not steps to introduce innovative policy proposals that have practical applications in people's lives.
The population broadly cares far more about cultural issues then economic ones. No one cares about the GDP when states are gearing to confiscate children and force them onto hormone blockers

I don’t know what world you’re in.

Sales tax is crazy regressive.

Let's say the sales tax is 7%. You earn $30,000 a year and buy a Ford Escrt for $10,000. You would pay $700 in taxes. That's 2.3 percent of your income. Now, take a guy who earns $1 million a year and buys a Lincoln Continental for $40,000, he will pay $2,800 in tax. That's three-tenths of 1 percent of his income. You will have contributed eight times as much, proportionately, to support the government than the millionaire - and his car is worth 4 times more than yours.
Yeah, so what?

The poor should pay more, especially if they want to vote

You all care more about "wokeism" then the vast majority of Democrats do.

It's a right wing boogie man mostly.
Lol. No, it’s not.

The guy who cheerleads for a genocidal junta wants to pretend he has “principles”.

😂😂😂

Too ****ing funny.
All genocidal governments have been left wing, so your accusation is false

All genocidal governments have been left wing, so your accusation is false

Oh look, another blatant lie from you. Imperial Germany, for instance, certainly wasn’t “left wing”.

That's not what progressive tax rates means.

What are these cultural issues, specifically?
How do they differ from left to right?

Back
Top Bottom